August 24th, 2007

Obama shoots, he scores

Watch Obama on the court Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It's no secret White House hopeful Barack Obama is an avid basketball player when he's not on the campaign trail. And on Thursday, the Illinois senator got a chance to show off his skills while touring a South Carolina school.

"I just want to point out I had no warm ups," Obama told CNN's Don Lemon after making the shot. "That was on a dare, people were skeptical."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Providence, RI

Obama is an empty shell. He looked so arrogant in each debate he attended so far. HIS NOSE was up in the air! He lacks experience and deep knowledge in foreign policy. It is bunch of teens that are rallying around him, like they did RALLY around Dean in 2004. Those teens never vote. In 2004, voters dated Dean, and then married Kerry. It is the same analogy that applies to OBAMA. IT IS A SUMMER FLING; WILL FADE SOON, VERY SOON...just like Hibiscus flower...

August 24, 2007 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. C.LyOns, New York, NY

Yes maybe too 'abstract' for the narrow mind....it could be challenging to the uneducated and insensible...

Obama 08

August 24, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  3. paul

If only the nomination could be determined by basketball skills...

August 24, 2007 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Brendose, Oceanside, Ca

At least Barack Obama is shooting baskets instead of shooting er.....people in the face....Dick Cheney (hint hint)

August 24, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  5. Jeff, Schaumburg, IL

I believe people refer to 'abstract answers' when an answer contains thought, rather than WWF-style sound-bytes. Hence, Bush 2000 & 2004.

Also, CNN should install a grammar/spelling check. I can barely read the mangled English in some of these posts, and I don't think they're just typos.

I want an Obama-Paul (or vice versa) White House!

August 24, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  6. Tristan, Marlton, New Jersey

If you can pull of primaries, it's gonna come down to him and Rudy. That will be a very hard choice for me to make, because I'll be 18 by the time the elections come in 08. I may pick Obama, because it seems a lot like he has the family values and I like a lot of his stances on certain issues, though Rudy I have always liked, but I may just go Obama.

August 24, 2007 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. Shawn, Atlanta, Georgia

As a young black professional, under 35 with an income of $80,000 a year, I resent the comment by the obviously racist "nonjumpingwhiteman" that "Obama is half-black anyway," which is supposed to somehow justify his skill at basketball.Mainstream America has rallied around Obama because they are amazed that there are successful and intelligent Black people in America. Obama just happens to be famous but there are many successful and intelligent Black people who are fully Black (unlike Obama) and they don't play sports. We saw this same behavior when Condolezza Rice was very popular. America was in awe that a Black person could be so intelligent. I am shocked that in 2007 that the culturally ignorant and unlearned are stil amongst us.

August 24, 2007 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. David, Salinas, CA

To Katie from St. Paul, MN:

Thanks for the links. They were interesting reading. I agree that Obama has the moral high ground on lobbying and many other issues. Whether or not he reaches the White House in 2008, he’s going to be a major voice in American politics for many years to come.

While everything is in flux this year, traditionally California has had one of the later primaries, which means I have the luxury of time to make my decision. By the time I get to vote, several of my current possibilities may no longer be in the race. I’ll continue to weigh the issues until election day. I hope the posters on this board will continue trying to influence me.

Thanks again for elevating the dialogue.

August 24, 2007 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. John Thomas, Edina, MN

Why was this bumped up to the top?? Gotta love the establishment's blatantly clear agenda. Don't worry, though; a revolution is coming–a Ron Paul Revolution.

August 24, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. TC Plainfield, IL

I'd like to see Obama dunk on Hillary!

August 24, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  11. Francis from Dems win '08

Great job Mike from Temecula on your failed attempt to be profound...and David from Gilbert..LIGHTEN UP!!

August 24, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  12. pl, at the UN, for a while.

I am not American. I cannot vote. As a diplomat it is my duty to keep informed on what happens.

So Dan, Mr Obama has a "definite plan". How about sharing it with us?

In scanning the Toronto Daily Star searching for reportings of the Montebello Summit which closed last night with nothing accomplished, I read the unbelievable!...

Mr Obama, not to be outdone on foreign policy said: "One of the first actions I would take as President, I would summon the President of Mexico and the President of Canada to [...] re-negotiate NAFTA".

Do you get it?....Canada does not have a President!!!!...Never did.......nor there has ever been in Canadian 130 years constitutionalism any call for one!!! The chief executive officer is the Prime Minister and the cerimonial Head of State, who is REALLY just a shadow, is appointed every 5 years by the Prime Minister.

Dan....Come on, my bru...

August 24, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. James, Phoenix AZ

CNN is heavily censoring comments about Obama.

You want diverse opinions or just ones you approve??

August 24, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. Laura, Evanston IL

Looks like Obama has his Arsinio Hall. Clinton could play the sax, but Obama and his mad b-ball skills brings him even closer to The People. What's closer than your favorite neighborhood basketball court? And to imagine that a future president could play there too?

August 24, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. sam a. , alpena, mi

yawn. another day, another distraction from debating the issues.

August 24, 2007 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Vince, CA

Posted By Bill S., Covina, California : August 23, 2007 5:43 pm

HEY BILL S. OPEN YOUR MIND AND YOUR EARS...If you had listened to the entire clip you would have heard Obama state VERY CLEARLY that this gym was old (built in 1928, old and hot to be in) and this was just another example of how WE HAVE TO INVEST MORE IN OUR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION......

I really hate closed minded naysayers that open their mouth with criticism without investigation.

August 24, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. pl, at the UN, for a while.

Mr Obama, once President would "summon" the President of Mexico and the President of Canada!!!

The last person in Western history with the authority to 'summon' ALL or ANY of the heads of state of Europe into obedience at the penalty of losing their kingdoms was pope Innocent II at the turn of the 12th century. His purpose: ships and soldiers for a 4th Cruisade.

The lesson to learn? The 'summons' to the rulers failed utterly. Not only, but that attempt caused a reversal of roles. The pope became trapped in contention with the dukes of Europe who began thinking of another pope, of their choosing, with the seat in Avignon, Orange dutchy, now France. That begun the decline of the powers of the papacy.

So, Mr Obama, I would be cautious with words that underline intent. Does Washington really possesses the authority to 'summon'?

August 24, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. Joe

Steven: Give me a break. A person being a constitutional lawyer does not automatically mean that he will protect all rights arguably found in the Constitution. A person can be, at the same time, a constitutional lawyer and hold a view of a particular clause of the document that, if implemented as policy, would result in an erosion of individual rights.

To all: There has been much discussion on these blogs about Obama and Clinton's experience. I would argue that niether has sufficient experience to serve as chief executive of our nation's government. Obama and Clinton do not have any managerial experience, inside or outside of government. This is critical.

A large part of the job of president is to assemble teams of persons to solve problems and to direct and oversee their progress. Another part of the job is to negotiate with legislators from both parties in seeking to pass laws. Both Obama and Clinton have no experience in doing the former and little if no success in doing the later.

As much as I want to vote democratic this time around as I fear more of the same from another republican (I am a moderate and have voted for both republicans and democrats in the past), I really hope to have the opportunity to vote for Romney in the general election. Yes, he flip flops on abortion and other pet causes of the extreme right wing primary voters, but its not like such convenient changes of opinion are a new thing in campaigning. Each and every candidate does a bit of flip flopping now and again. Unless done in excess, in my opinion it should not be a reason to cast your vote for someone else.

That said, Romney has been an extradorinary manager at Bain and in saving the winter games in Salt Lake City. He also obtained significant results on health care in MA when he was governor, working closely with the huge democratic majority in the state legislature.

Romney, for the duration of primary season, will likely appear to be more conservative than he has actually shown himself to be through his actions prior to his decision to run for president. Talk is cheap. I would respectfully suggest that moderates – right or left leaning – consider the demonstrated competency of Romney as an alternative to the mere rhetoric of every other candidate for president, republican or democrat.

Obama says he wants change. It sure would be a change to elect a president based on competence rather than vague promises and hopeful thinking. Life is messy and we need a president who has shown he can effectively deal with challenges.

August 24, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Jordan, Austin, TX

Dear Mr. Obama,

Your speech during the Democratic convention was amazing. It gave me the same feeling as an RFK, JFK, or MLK speech, you truly inspired me. You had my vote after that speech. I am always on your team, and in your corner. You are my man.

But...

Please, please, please, don't let anyone film you playing basketball, eating fried chicken, or anything that could be stereotyped. Ever, again.

I bet you were messing around in a half empty gym before an appearance, but be aware that all eyes and cameras are on you at all times. Just like Bill Clinton should never be caught on camera eating french fries, or barbeque, or doing anything that could make him look like a dumb poor white-trash cracker from the south. Or Kerry doing whatever rich elitist north easterner’s do.....

It's not who you are, it's what they make you look like. Believe that. There is a filter that you are not in control of, between you and the public. Just be more mindful of it.

August 24, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. RuthieM

Go Obama! Keep shooting and scoring, straight to the White House. Sure, this was newsworthy!!! Thanks for the positive, CNN.

August 24, 2007 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  21. Mark Morris

I'm glad CNN showed it. It's an unscripted moment that shows Obama can be cool under pressure.

August 24, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. A. W. Bethea Dillon sc

The jym where Obama made his shot is where Fed Charmain Ben Bernanke went to high school. Buildings and money don't necessarily make the student

August 24, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Linda - Albany, NY

Honestly, who cares that he can shoot a ball? And this story is political in what way?!?

August 24, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. Providence, RI

Obama is inexperience and naive...

August 24, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. Farrell

Obama's eyes are on the "goal" and I believe he is an honest and "straight" shooter.

August 24, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |