August 28th, 2007

Republican senator arrested, reportedly for lewd conduct

Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho.

(CNN) - Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, was fined earlier this month for a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge stemming from his arrest in June at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, according to Minnesota criminal records.

While the criminal records did not provide details of why Craig was arrested, Roll Call newspaper reported Monday that he was apprehended by a plainclothes police officer investigating complaints of lewd behavior in an airport men's room.

In a statement released Monday evening, Craig denied any inappropriate conduct and said he now regrets his guilty plea.

"At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions. I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct," he said. "I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."

Full story

Filed under: Larry Craig
  1. roger, conway sc

This is another example of what the religious right has done by electing anyone who will promote their agenda..it is sad to think they will stoop to any level and call themselves christians to get there right wing, conservatives messages out....

August 28, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. spinstopper

At least Barney hasn't committed a criminal act yet.
    - WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

You mean like "taking care of" his lovers parking tickets recieved while at Barney's house for "afternoon meetings"?

Where is Barney's scorn for Craig's disgusting behavior??

August 28, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Pat, Huntington, Station, NY

For the hetero's and my fellow homo's reading this who are not very educated about their own community, the under the stall toe tapping and hand waving signal in a public bathroom is very much an old invitation for a sexual encounter. It was very much the rage in the day of this old senator, who I am certain, practiced it very much when he was younger. Those who think he was doing anything else is very naive. Even if it were something else, his unethical conduct when arrested – handing his Senator business card to the officer and saying, "what do you think about this?" – is proof he was abusing his office to get out of criminal charges. That in and of itself, should get this guy booted from the Senate!

August 28, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Lyons Steve

/***
    You'll need a lot more than this flimsy "evidence" to convince me of hypocracy.
    ***/

Um, Ken, apparently you're unaware that Craig already pleaded guilty. Guess there was more than "flimsy evidence."

I know, it's must be tough to be a right-wing blowhard and realize many of your heroes are homosexual hypocrites who...hate homosexuals.

August 28, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. Lyons Steve

/***
    Does anyone wonder why Democrats arrested or "revealed" to be engaged in promiscuities and various violations of public trust get standing ovations in Congress (as did Barney Frank), or, that the media never gives a moment's notice to those incidents?
    ***/

The phrase "thick as a brick" comes to mind.

Um, you see, Barney Frank is a self-avowed homosexual. Get it? He doesn't write hysterical legislation to please far-right religious extremists, as Craig did, while practicing homosexuality himself.

Mark Foley, now Craig, exposes a LYING SACK OF CRAP Republican party, eager to divide America, start phony wars and turn off the Bill of Rights all the while waving the flag and waving a hand to find a homosexual partner in a restroom stall.

Gads, get a MITT. Get in the GAME. How can you defend this hating CREEP? Don't you have any pride in yourself?

August 28, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Leslie, Redding CA

Barney Frank, Mark Foley, and now Larry Craig have a lot in common!

August 28, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Steve, Phoenix, Arizona

Umm. . . innocent until proven guilty, folks?

Remember Al Sharpton leading the mob against the Duke lacrosse players?

August 28, 2007 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  8. RightyTighty

Come on Steve.. While I would like to believe no one really acts this way in the bathroom. It pretty obvious from the police report that it actually did. Craig doesn't need to wag his finger to be transparent..

August 28, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. Martha, Whittier, CA

To: Ken of Grand Rapids, Michigan:
    You think Senator Craig's worst mistake was complaining after paying his $500 fine? Then see David's comment from Salinas, California wherein he lists the reasons this guy is a HYPOCRITE!!! He also signed a paper at the police station admitting he acted in a lewd manner. Would you pay $500 because someone misunderstood your actions and that you only wanted toilet paper from the next stall? Innocent people would fight tooth & nail to clear up this kind of misunderstanding. Even Republicans.

August 28, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Steve, Phoenix, Arizona,

NEWSFLAH: He already pled GUILTY and paid the fine!

How often do you plead guilty to things you DIDN'T do?

August 28, 2007 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. T.Sims, Los Angeles, California

Joke of the Week.

Name 2 Favorite songs of Senator Larry "Pee-Wee" Craig?
    1.)"I Don't Wanna Hone my Cone Alone" the Cone Heads sound track and 2.)"If I Could Turn Back Time" By Cher

August 28, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  12. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Waldo in Privacy, CA,

"Does anyone wonder why [blah blah blah] the media never gives a moment's notice to those [Democratic] incidents?"

Maybe because 1) the Dems don't shove their religious dogma down everybody else's throats and 2) the Dems don't get busted for deviant sexual behavior anywhere NEAR as often.

Tell ya what we'll can do though, we'll make a game of it!

You can list all the Dems you've seen accused of inappropriate sexual behavior, and I'll list all the Repubs.

Care to play?

Here ... I see you're Barney Frank, and I RAISE you one Larry Craig, Bob Allen, and David Almond!

Well? What's it gonna be?

Time to fold maybe?

Hint: I've got AT LEAST 20 more.

August 28, 2007 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  13. David, Salinas, CA

Steve of Phoenix, Arizona writes:“Umm. . . innocent until proven guilty, folks?”

Umm, Steve... Senator Craig has already entered a plea of guilty in this case.

August 28, 2007 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  14. Linda, Boise, Idaho

Out of 70 comments only 3 from the great state aof Idaho??? How interesting. Many Idahoans have had knowledge of Larry Craig's sexual preference for at least 25 years...now finally, after all this time, it's final;ly hitting the media in undeniable way. It's about time. Whether or not he is gay, let him deny that all he wants to, being gay doesn't matter nearly as much as the man is a PERVERT, pure & simple!

August 28, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  15. Paul VA Beach

Craig's story would have been more believable if he'd said he was doing the Hokey Pokey (double entendre not intended). "I put my right foot in, I put my right foot out, I put my right foot in and I shook it all about ...... Then I put my left hand in..." You know the rest of the song. It's actually pretty pathetic.

August 28, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  16. Ian

Any predictions on when he will sign up for the phony PR rehab stint?

August 29, 2007 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  17. Gary , Grosse Pointe, Mich.

I just noticed. The CNN photo of Craig appears to show him wearing a trench coat. Do you think he has his pants on underneath or is he getting ready to go trolling again ?

August 29, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. RightyTighty

Where was the outrage from the left over the antics of Congressman Gerry Stubbs who actually had sex with an underage page or Barney Franks who "handled" his lovers parking tickets?? And where was the demands of the left for investigations when Clinton commuted the sentence of a former congressman who was convicted of having sex with a minor who worked for him?

As always, the Demorats need to sit down and shut up when it comes to ethics..

August 29, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  19. Steve, Phoenix, Arizona

To David in Salinas and RightyTighty,

Read the whole story; He said he pled guilty without the advice of counsel and regrets his plea.

RightyTighty: were YOU there?

Geez, hope I never have two a-holes like you on a jury.

Ready to smear, that's the way it is in America.

August 29, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Dave - Evergreen, Colorado

Steve, when you plead guilty you don't get a jury. "Didn't get advice from counsel"? Please, the man is a United States Senator – he should be quite familiar with how the law works.

August 29, 2007 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. MaryJo Suprise, Arizona

Both Rep and Dem should be above reproach in their conduct. They have both done things really awful. BOTH, remember that. We like to think we can look up to our leaders for leadership. They are always under the looking glass at all times. When are they going to get it. ALL OF THEM

August 29, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  22. Shirley -- Parrott, VA

Amazing!!! While the saintly morally perfect Republicans are jumping up and down on the "crucify Hillary campaign" –again!! - I don't see too many Democrats calling for Larry Craig's resignation. Indeed, his own party has spoken the loudest for his resignation because of his alleged unfortunate moral weakness. It must be nice to be a sanctimonious and morally superior Republican.

August 30, 2007 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |