September 5th, 2007

McCain: Maybe we're up past Thompson's bed time

Fred Thompson's rivals did not pull any punches when asked about Thompson's absence during the debate Wednesday.

(CNN) - Fred Thompson's Republican rivals made excuses for the presidential candidate's notable absence from Wednesday night's debate in New Hampshire.

"I think that's a decision that Fred should make and maybe we're up past his bed time," said Arizona Sen. John McCain.

"I was scheduled to be on Jay Leno tonight, but I gave up my spot to somebody else because I'd rather be in New Hampshire with these fine people," said former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

But Mitt Romney poked fun at Thompson's delayed entry into the presidential race.

"[The] only question I have: Why the hurry, why not take some more time off?" said Romney. "Maybe January or Febuary might be a better time to make a decision about getting into this race."

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Fred Thompson • John McCain • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Sam, Washington, DC

On a separate not, it has been close to 36 minutes into the debate and Congressman Ron Paul has been asked only ONE QUESTION. Mitt Romney, Giuliani, and McCain have all been asked close to three questions. This is the most absurd thing I have ever seen in my life. The media has literally taken it upon themselves to pick our republican candidate for us. I'm so sick of this garbage. Is anyone else with me???

September 5, 2007 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. Cary - Lowell, IN

Don't make any more jokes; the Democrats don't get them.

September 5, 2007 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  3. Lee, Mays Landing NJ

Each one of them is an empty suit, with Mitt Rudy and Thompson the most empty. Flip-floppers and phonies pandering now to the perceived neandrethal republican "base". At least Brownback, Huckabee and Tancredo actually believe the nutty stuff they preach to the faithful.

September 5, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  4. Tracy, Richmond, VA

Is there anyone, besides myself, left in this country that despises smear campaigns / tactics? I would love for someone to explain to me why the people we have to choose from to lead our country act like 5 year old children. I find it completely tasteless to stand in a debate forum and say, "Maybe we're up past his bedtime". I personally would hate to see John McCain in office if this is how he handles unfavorable situations. What is he going to do, stick his tongue out at AlQueda?

September 5, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  5. Tom, Nashville TN

Nice one, John.

McCain may be out of touch with reality when it comes to Iraq, but the man still has a sense of humor.

September 6, 2007 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  6. fedupwithourgov't

McCain needs to look in the mirror.

He looks like he just rolled out of bed!

Thompson and McCain should hang it up now!

September 6, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |