DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – As former Sen. Fred Thompson was preparing to officially launch his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, a senior aide resigned from the campaign.
Mark Corallo, a veteran of the Bush administration who had served as Thompson’s primary spokesman when the Tennessee Republican began exploring a bid earlier this year, has left the campaign, Corallo and several Thompson aides told CNN.
Corallo declined to comment on his departure beyond confirming that he had indeed left the campaign. Two Thompson aides said Corallo and the campaign parted ways, because of disagreements with the new campaign management team.
He is the fourth communications staffer to leave the Thompson campaign. The former Tennessee senator also replaced his campaign manager weeks before officially announcing Wednesday that he would run for the White House.
- CNN Chief National Correspondent John King