September 7th, 2007

Bush on Iraq: 'We're kicking ass'

President Bush will give his progress report on Iraq next week, based on information from Gen. David Petraeus.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - When President Bush made a surprise visit to Iraq last weekend, he made clear he was pleased with what he saw.

"The security situation is changing," Bush told reporters during the visit. "There's more work to be done. But reconciliation is taking place."

But according to the Sydney Morning Herald of Australia, the president gave a more-to-the-point assessment to Australia Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile.

"We're kicking ass," Bush said to Vaile Tuesday, according the Herald, after the deputy prime minister inquired about his trip to Iraq.

On Thursday, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino would not confirm or deny the reported comment. (Related Video: Jack Cafferty reads your e-mails on Bush's blunt talk)

This isn't the first blunt comment Bush was overheard making to a world leader. At last year's G8 summit, a live microphone picked up the president telling then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair that the United Nations needs to "get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s**t."

- CNN's Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Mia, Stafford, VA

I guess it is way too much to expect some presidental decorum. This guy is unbelievable.

All of his fans want people to respect the office of the presidency, but he doesn't. A President should not be making crass statements like that in the public forum.

September 7, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  2. gwpriester Placitas, NM

Old expression: You see what you want to see, you hear what you want to hear.

Bush is in another world. One in which reality does not exist.

September 7, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  3. Joe Washington DC

Remember in a press conference George Bush was asked what was something he would do different....
    and George Bush's response was...

"I wouldn't of said "BRING IT ON!""

Do you on the Right remember that?..or do you have selective memory?

September 7, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  4. Rebecca, Indianapolis, Indiana

"Bush know how to handle things and the liberals hate him for it. Nice to see someone talk straight these days. And he's right, and that's another reason why liberals hate him."

Why can't the conservatives grasp the fact that it's not just the liberals who are sickened by President Bush? There is NO WAY on God's green earth that I think that Bush is anything more than a Napoleonic poser.

September 7, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  5. Terry, El Paso, TX

"I love listening to the liberal whine. Are you traitors getting nervous about the Petraeus Report? You should be considering your hoping for the US to be defeated in Iraq." – Posted By Carter Couch : September 6, 2007 10:38 pm

This is a typical stereotype of Liberalism presented to us by those who cannot define Liberalism. No Liberal has ever wished for the US to be defeated in combat. Of the wars waged by Liberal presidents, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War turned out pretty well. Our former enemies are now strong democracies, and South Korea is too. As for the failure in Viet Nam, remember that it wasn't the Liberal President Johnson who abandoned it. It was the Republican Presiden Nixon.

As for wars fought by Conservative Presidents, I have to admit that we kicked butt in Grenada, but the Iraq thing isn't going so well, and the problem is not Liberal cowardice (there are no Liberals currently in the Federal government that I know of). The problem is that Conservatives cannot govern and cannot lead.

September 7, 2007 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  6. Todd

How sad that President Bush and sunk lower morally than his very own approval rating. What a HORRIBLE comment to liken a war to a fooball game. Perhaps he forgot the, "..and taking names" to go with such a comment of excellence. I can't wait for the elections in '08. Hillary you're our only hope....

September 7, 2007 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. Evin, Chicago

It's funny that he didn't "go" into Bagdad or where the "fighting" is going on. Does he really think we are kicking ASS! Does he know that 3600 US soldiers have been killed. I think someone needs to kick his A**!

September 7, 2007 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  8. ANN, STAUNTON, VA

SOMONE NEEDS TO DROP KICK HIS @$$ BACK TO CRAWFORD AND NEVER LET HIM LEAVE OR CONTACT ANY POLITICALLY INVOLVED PERSON EVER. THE MAN IS DELUSIONAL AND NEEDS A REAL SHOT OF REALITY.

September 7, 2007 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  9. James J Curry, Oak Park

While it concerns me that Korea 'may' have nuclear weapon capanilities, it concerns me more that George Bush smiles when he makes the accusations, as though he's thinking, "Yes! finally I found someone who has nukes so I can justify another war. What concerns me even more is that this man has influence over our nukes.

September 7, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  10. fedupwithourgov't

He's a mad man!

September 7, 2007 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  11. Mitchell, Washington, DC

This comment on the war, whether private or public, is more fitting for the movie Idiocracy than in deliberations with other public officials. Kicking Ass is not an assessment, its nothing more than empty rhetoric and dangerous bravado... especially when the political situation in Iraq will only be resolved diplomatically.

September 7, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  12. Mumphrey, Springfield, Virginia

Sad, sad, sad.
    As loathesome as this guy is, I can't help feeling a little sorry for him. The poor guy is an 8 year old who's in far over his head and he's scared to death of looking like a failure to the whole world.
    He got through life by getting whatever he wanted bythrowing tantrums, or threatening to, and he grew up thinking that would work anywhere, anytime.
    The trouble was, until he became president, he had people around him who could get things done for him that he was too ignorant, immature and simpleminded to get done himself. Because it was only Andiver or Yale or the Texas Air National Guard, or even the whole state of Texas, his people could shield him from reality. Once he took over as president, it became harder, and ultimately impossible, to keep this guy safe from the big bad world that didn't always want to let him have his way.
    Now he's sinking, and it seems like as he sinks further, he regresses further. I fear we'll see him sucking his thumb soon, or toting a teddy bear around.
    8 year olds do not belong at the helm of th United States.
    And the hell of it is, a lot of us saw what this guy was from the beginning. Being right is no solace when your country is getting trashed.

September 7, 2007 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  13. CK, Littleton, CO

Just when I think it can't get any worse – oops, there he goes. Isn't there anyone in this administration that can get the decider to stay out of sight? I keep thinking he can't look anymore foolish and then he keeps proving me wrong.

September 7, 2007 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  14. Pat, Huntington, NY

I've never been more embarrassed for this country and ashamed of my president for using terms like "kicking ass" to express so-called progress in Iraq. He's such a baffoon.

September 7, 2007 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  15. Jay, Connecticut

Are we sure this clown has really stopped drinking?

September 7, 2007 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  16. Anonymous

He should tell that to the families of the fallen soldiers that have died or have been permanently injured because of his lie to go to war.

September 7, 2007 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  17. Becky, Versailles KY

I'm glad to know that we're "kicking ass" in a war that's solving nothing, and funneling money from my paychecks every two weeks. I am proud of our troops, and am glad they're doing a good job. I don't think they even know what the job is at this point, but still, I am supportive of them. It's good to know that even though I don't support this war, I get to pay for it when I can't even afford health insurance offered by my employer with my college degree.

September 7, 2007 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  18. Alan J. Marietta, GA

....And folks think that dog fighting is the biggest moral priority. This guy is off his rocker and he is way past being an immature 20 year old that made a poor decision. As a country we need to wake up and pay attention to where we are headed due to his lack of being qualified for the job he has had for almost 8 years. His brash attitude towards our young men dying just makes me sick on the stomach.

Alan J. Marietta, Ga

September 7, 2007 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  19. Michael, Dallas TX

Sorta like the Saints kicked ass last night, I guess.j

September 7, 2007 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  20. Herb Baines, Atlanta, GA

He is the epitome of the term "PRESIDENTIAL"...as President of the He-Man Woman Haters Club from The Little Rascals. What a goof-ball.

September 7, 2007 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. John Mulligan, Snellville, Georgia

He cares so much for our soldiers that he shafts them on their hospital and VA care and has cut spending. Yes, I guess he is definitely a supporter of our troops.

September 7, 2007 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  22. R. Vance, Fort Worth, Texas

With all the power in the world to create world order, why is our leader bragging about kicking ass in Iraq? Bullying people in their homeland with our overgrown military is no substitute for the hard work of diplomacy and progress in the direction of stability for the sake of a country we have invaded. Some concepts are too difficult for this president, who thinks of war in the same way as winning ball games.

September 7, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  23. Doug, Irving TX

Another example of the sheltered, bubble-boy existence of this President and administration. Denial of the evidence has certainly been the M.O. of Messrs. Bush, Cheney, et al; no reason for this to be any different.

I am also forced to wonder where, in the hierarchy of propaganda, 'Kicking Ass' falls in relation to 'Mission Accomplished'...

I can imagine several high level officials in 1930's/1940's Germany would be very proud of the WH Spin Machine.

September 7, 2007 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  24. RB

Great photo op – Bush has just hand-delivered the Iraq progress report written by the White House for Gen. Petraeus' signature.

He should have FedEx'd it instead.

Bush is such a dope.

September 7, 2007 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  25. Fanny, Kellogg Idaho

Mr. Bush, I personally think someone needs to seriously kick your Ass. Best right out of office.

September 7, 2007 09:36 am at 9:36 am |