September 7th, 2007

Bush on Iraq: 'We're kicking ass'

President Bush will give his progress report on Iraq next week, based on information from Gen. David Petraeus.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - When President Bush made a surprise visit to Iraq last weekend, he made clear he was pleased with what he saw.

"The security situation is changing," Bush told reporters during the visit. "There's more work to be done. But reconciliation is taking place."

But according to the Sydney Morning Herald of Australia, the president gave a more-to-the-point assessment to Australia Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile.

"We're kicking ass," Bush said to Vaile Tuesday, according the Herald, after the deputy prime minister inquired about his trip to Iraq.

On Thursday, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino would not confirm or deny the reported comment. (Related Video: Jack Cafferty reads your e-mails on Bush's blunt talk)

This isn't the first blunt comment Bush was overheard making to a world leader. At last year's G8 summit, a live microphone picked up the president telling then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair that the United Nations needs to "get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s**t."

- CNN's Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: President Bush
  1. KD, Dallas, TX

To my brothers-in-arms that are currently serving and have served in Iraq. During my service I was mad as hell at the people back home protesting to stop the war I was fighting and it took decades for me to come to terms with it. I felt abandoned, betrayed and it wasn't until I gained some perspective and wisdom did I realize that in most cases they were concerned about my welfare and the welfare of those fighting that senseless war. Much of what was said back then still bothers me but I would rather have a citizenry engaged in ending an immoral war than blindly supporting it from one decade to another. It took time for me to see this. What pains me the most are what our soldiers are going through and the sense of abandonment some of them feel. Some may never come to terms with it, like many of my friends I served with, while some like myself will see the concern that so many at home had for us. I love every damn one of you fighting this war and I long for the day you are not in harms way and in the arms of your family. The vast majority of people that oppose this war are supporting you by not supporting the decisions that put you there. I know when you are on the front lines it is hard to see and harder to understand but we are behind you and we love you all. I unlike our Coward in Chief have shed many tears for you and I will shed many more I fear. War leaves the all of us scarred with wounds that may never heal. It is impossible to fully understand the impact combat has on you unless you experienced it. No one in this current administration is aware of that fact and as far as I can so none of them care. I pray for you serving in harms way everyday. You are not alone and we love and support you all.

Posted By Jack, Hellhole, Texas : September 7, 2007 4:10 pm

I love this comment. Jack you really understand our frustration with the war and I am sorry for any sadness or confusion that any comment I made may have caused. I hate that the Iraq War ever was started. I believed in getting Bin Laden in Afghanistan and would have supported wholeheartedly the effort there. I just despise the actions that put us into Iraq. I understood before we went in what was going to happen. I am not an international genius, so why couldn't others understand. And to not have a reason to bully Iraq, it's just so unbelievably disappointing. And yes, it's because I care so much for people and our country as to why I don't like the actions of our occupation in Iraq. You are all cared for, believe me. I spent this summer in France, got to see Normandy and I cried for those I didn't even know there. I appreciate what our military does to honor America. I hate that they have to be part of something that should never have happened though.

September 7, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  2. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Mike, Corpus Christi TX,

Unfortunately you read it right.

Even more unfortunately, there's another guy named Rick in Chicago who actually STILL supports Dubya apparently.

Don't worry, I'm not THAT guy.

MY posts will continue to reflect how screwed up Dubya and his supporters are.

Try not to let the name fool ya!

September 7, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. Chuck, Rochester, NY

An utter moron. (Yet history will teach us nothing.)

September 7, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  4. Ralph, Spartanburg

How is this for a campaign slogan "WE ARE KICKING FANNY – Vote Republican in '08. I fail to see how any americans will vote for them....I know who will....my good ole state of South Carolina.....they always come thru for the G.O.P.

September 7, 2007 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. Mike, NY

I love the people claiming that saying "the President is a war criminal" is illegal speech. Priceless.

Also, the soldiers are not in Iraq fighting for our freedom. We don't have the freedom to criticize the President because American soldiers are in Iraq. Iraq never posed a threat to us. Neither did Vietnam, or Korea, or Germany, but that's irrelevant.

This is not some special crisis time in our history, just as the 1920s was not extra dangerous for Germany. But some people are very good at making you think it is, in the hopes you'll be more submissive. We should never sacrifice our liberty. Terrorists are not going to destroy this country. Only an oppressive government can do that.

Lastly, free speech is not a right of American citizens. It is a right of every person.

September 7, 2007 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  6. Roberta, Simi Valley, CA

What an embarrassment this guy is to this country and how foolish is his ill-timed and crude bravado. Is he ever, even on his best days, the tiniest bit presidential or statesmanlike? Or dignified?

My heart mourns for those who have lost their lives in this debacle.

September 7, 2007 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  7. JB, NYC, NYS

Yes sir, Mr. War-president!

And if we never withdrew from Viet Nam we would still be kicking ass there!

Just keep bringing them on so we (but not your kids) can keep kicking there asses again and again and again!

September 8, 2007 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  8. Marc, LA, CA

IMPEACH THIS CREEP !!

September 8, 2007 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  9. Bruce Menin, Newburyport, MA

You guys have once again twisted the words of President Bush to make him seem like a nerple-headed twit.

If you listen carefully, he distinctly used the words "we're knicking glass", which is an old Texas term for getting the crap kicked out of you.

I'm tired of all you liberals out there using any excuse to make our duly-elected President out to be a course, marginally literate putz. The man went to both Yale and Harvard, for goodness sake! You just can't get into those schools on a phone call from dad, you know.

Liberals, clean up your act and stop trying to put words in the President's mouth. Goodness knows he already has enough trouble with the ones that are already stuck there.

September 8, 2007 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  10. Gary A, San Francisco, CA

As usual, the "mainstream media" are a day late and way short on the detail. (Well, in this case, CNN is 2 days late, but who's counting?)

If we had a competent mainstream media in the USA, rather than the corporate lickspittle media we've got, the public would not have had to go to "unconventional" sources to learn of the story in a timely fashion.

Gary A

CNN catches up with Bush, almost two days late
    09/07/2007 @ 8:33 am
    Filed by John Byrne

Nearly two days after RAW STORY first reported that President George W. Bush had declared to a Deputy Australian Prime Minister "we're kicking ass" in Iraq, America's media finally caught up.

In a late-evening blog post Thursday, CNN 'discovered' the news, which was printed in the second-largest newspaper in Australia Sept. 5 US time.

RAW STORY blared the headline "Bush: We're kicking ass in Iraq" on Wednesday morning.

According to the network, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino would neither confirm or deny the report.

Our earlier story follows.

Want to get the news the media buries? Get Raw headlines in your browser.

Things are going well in Iraq, according to President George W. Bush.

Upon his arrival in Sydney Wednesday, Deputy Australian Prime Minister Mark Vaile "inquired politely" about his stopover in the war-torn country.

"We're kicking ass," Bush said.

The remark was overheard by a reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald and caught by an Australian blog.

According to the paper, Bush arrived in Australia in a "chipper mood."

"Despite his unpopularity in" Australia, the paper said, "Bush used yesterday's media conference with [Prime Minister John] Howard to try to bolster the Prime Minister's electoral prospects in the next poll. Labor was quite happy at the spectre of one unpopular leader backing another but should not underestimate the defiance and polished performance Bush is able to muster. On Iraq, climate change, Kyoto and nuclear power, he backed Howard to the hilt. He claimed diplomatically he did not want to interfere in the Australian election and said he looked forward to today's meeting with Kevin Rudd," leader of the Australian Labor Party.

"Apart from his introductory remarks, Howard never spoke during the press conference," the paper added. "It was the George W. Bush show."

The Herald asserted that Howard's staunch position backing the Iraq war "is growing."

"He implied that those who argued against the war in the first place had no role in the current debate," the article said.

September 8, 2007 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  11. Pixie, Murfreesboro, TN

"The tax which will be paid for education is not more than the thousand part
    of what will be paid if we leave the people in ignorance."
    President Thomas Jefferson

"And so¸ my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you
    ask what you can do for your country."
    President John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Tear down that wall¸ Mr. Gorbachev"
    President Ronald Reagan

"We're Kickin' Ass!!!"
    GWB

September 8, 2007 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  12. John

Suicide mission and kicking our own ass... accomplished!

September 8, 2007 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  13. Mark, Honolulu, HI

The most important thing this country could ever do at this point is to imprison Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perl, Feith, Rove, and whatever other architects of the War on Iraq I might have left out - for life. Only then could the people of this country ever begin to establsh any moral authority.

September 8, 2007 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  14. lvr, tyngsboro, ma

I wish we could kick his ass right out of the white house.

September 8, 2007 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  15. Rachel, CA

To Jack from Hellhole, TX:

Thank you for what you wrote – it was the most intelligent, kind-hearted thing I have seen written on here and it exactly sums up what I am sure the troops are going through. I too do not support this war, but I truly support our troops and think of them daily and wish they did not have to fight this war. I am so sorry for what you have clearly suffered, but it is a relief to know that there are intelligent people who realize that not supporting this war does not equal not supporting the troops.

September 8, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  16. Linda - Albany, NY

"Linda – Albany, NY

PLEASE learn your rights and their limits!

Posted By James W, Fairfield, Ca"

Once again, you step up to the plate and deliver yet another astonishing lesson in law...bravo! Funny thing is, I already know my rights. Furthermore, I also am well aware, as many Americans are, of how quickly these rights have been altered and changed, especially through recent years.

Just one question, however....who named you god? You remind me of the little boy who always tattled on everyone, vying to be teacher's pet for that special pat on the back. You must really have a lot of time on your hands.

Furthermore, since when did the President become above the law? When does he get to be responsible for all the stupid, hateful things he has to say? I suppose in your eyes, he's "exempt," yes? Open your eyes, Sir.

September 8, 2007 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  17. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Well while he was "Kicking Ass" in Iraq apparently somebody was also Kicking Ass in the Real Estate Markets of the US.

And now that somebody's Foot in the near future will also Kick Ass for all economies around the world. The spin offs from real estate closures in the US will see Global international markets plummet and economies dive to an all time low.

Thank you again George Bush.

September 8, 2007 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  18. R.Burt

He's just stupid.

September 8, 2007 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  19. KD, Dallas, TX

Amen to the following comment.

It occured to me just yesterday why more people aren't completely horrified by Mr. Bush. Most people have never dealt with or known a clinically insane person. They have no idea how "crazy" people function,the behaviors, the cues. So while Mr. Bush' responses might seem "odd" at times (as in this instance. Really what world leader has EVER talked like this?) people put it down to something more comforting than having a madmad with his finger on the button of a nuclear bomb.

His remaining supporters generally fall into two camps: unintelligent and/or willfully ignorant men who are uncertain of both their intelligence and masculinity and therefore need to be on the "winning side" so their utter wrongness will not be evident to the world at large. The other segment: the apathetically average middle-American who is so disconnected from anything outside their worldview that they don't see what many concerned and rational people do: George W. Bush is mentally ill. He is a sociopath as is evidenced every time says what he "thinks" is appropriate for the situation.

He has no real connection to his inner processes. He can't feel sympathy or empathy for others and so he does his best to "gladhand" his way through situations requiring some degrees of self-reflexiveness.

Americans should not be embarassed by this President, they should be horrified.

Posted By Phobe Moon, Mooresville, NC : September 7, 2007 7:55 am

September 8, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI Canada

Jack, Hellhole, Texas

I join Rachel in thanking you for your heartfelt comments. And I thank you as well for your heroic service to your country and people.

I have never beeen able to understand how some interpreted that those not supportive of the current Iraq War were somehow being unloyal to the military serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Your explanation has allowed me to understand the how.

You explained my feelings exactly. I don't support this war but I couldn't have more support, love, pride, loyalty and praise for every single military member who is sacrificing or has sacrificed their life for our freedom and safety today or in the days gone by. In my mind you are and will always be the bravest of our heroes.

To all military members around the world who are serving, have served, I thank you for your bravery and loyalty and pray that those who have served will find peace in the knowledge that their service was truly appreciated and looked upon with honour and that God will keep those who are currently serving in the palm of his hand and return them to their loved ones safe and well.

September 8, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. DJ, Los Angeles

This is by far the worst display of integrity and class of any American President.

If Teddy Roosevelt said "speak softly and carry a big stick",Bush would be equivalent to the complete opposite.

I am embarassed to have him represent my country.

September 8, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

Franklin Lakes – How about the fact that the Clintons gave US Missile technology to China, in exchange for Campaign contributions? That's more than "Bill's Affair". Look it up.

September 8, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. Tony - Philadelphia, PA

This is truly one dispicable individual. We are getting our ass kicked in Iraq – The Bush Administration has decimated the US Military and has made the US extremely less safe than ever. All the deaths caused by his greed is his shameful legacy.

September 8, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  24. Sharon,Littleton, CO

Love how he went to Iraq for a Labor Day photo op with the troops as his props. God, please deliver us from this buffoon!

September 8, 2007 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  25. SteveG, WV

What a retard. Maybe some of those soldiers families can kick his ass. He's literally ruined the Republican Party for good.

September 8, 2007 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |