September 7th, 2007

Bush on Iraq: 'We're kicking ass'

President Bush will give his progress report on Iraq next week, based on information from Gen. David Petraeus.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - When President Bush made a surprise visit to Iraq last weekend, he made clear he was pleased with what he saw.

"The security situation is changing," Bush told reporters during the visit. "There's more work to be done. But reconciliation is taking place."

But according to the Sydney Morning Herald of Australia, the president gave a more-to-the-point assessment to Australia Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile.

"We're kicking ass," Bush said to Vaile Tuesday, according the Herald, after the deputy prime minister inquired about his trip to Iraq.

On Thursday, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino would not confirm or deny the reported comment. (Related Video: Jack Cafferty reads your e-mails on Bush's blunt talk)

This isn't the first blunt comment Bush was overheard making to a world leader. At last year's G8 summit, a live microphone picked up the president telling then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair that the United Nations needs to "get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s**t."

- CNN's Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Terry, El Paso, TX

"Where were you in Vietnam…W…you were kissing ass then…weren't you?" Posted By Keith Guice Franklin, Tn : September 6, 2007 6:48 pm

Where were you, Keith? Or if you were born too late for Viet Nam, are you in military service now? On leave from Iraq perhaps? If you have not worn the uniform yourself, you have no right to ask others to display patriotism that you yourself have not shown.

Bush and I are the same age. In my effort to stay out of Viet Nam, I tried to join the National Guard too, but the waiting list was impossibly long in Texas. No chance for me. I didn't want to join up for six years, so I let the draft grab me and I served two years in the Army. Fortunately for me, I worked in an Army hospital in the US giving psychiatric exams to Viet Name veterans and their dependents.

Back then, we were ALL trying to get out of going to Viet Nam. It was apparent that Nixon was only waiting until his re-election before pulling out and the men and women who were dying there were dying for nothing except Nixon's upcoming political victory. And, when he was re-elected we pulled out. Viet Nam is now a Communist country and we have sent trade delegations there so that they can start shipping us goods so as to further unbalance our trade balance with Asia.

What bugs me about Bush is that he used his father's influence to jump to the beginning of the line, over my head and the heads of thousands of other Texas boys, none of whom wanted to be the last man to die in Viet Nam.

Anyone who wants to criticize a baby boomer for failing to serve in Viet Nam is invited to meet me at the recruiting station and show me what kind of stuff you are made of.

September 6, 2007 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  2. Sheldon, Eagan, MN

Hmmm. "Kicking ass". Hmmm. I thought "kicking ass" was terminology used when you're steamrolling over your opponent. How can he be so clueless? Dub should have said, "Kick me, I'm an ass."

September 6, 2007 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. George Regnar

This guy is such an idiot. He brings down the cumulative IQ of any group he is in. He's like a vacuum of intelligence.I am ready for a real prez.

September 6, 2007 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. John Q Public

Once again, George Bush Sr, breathes a sigh of relieve, knowing that when historians talk about "the failed Bush presidency" they will no longer be talking about him.

September 6, 2007 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. Eric, New York, New York

What does he think this is, a Texas bar fight? What a disgrace.

September 6, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  6. Liz Ratcliff, Minnesota

To James in Fairfield, CA…

Just like GW himself, you don’t seem too concerned with a little thing called the Bill of Rights and due process… so make your ridiculous threats. People are fighting and dying to protect our freedoms, and you don’t seem to have anything better to do than pick on honorable people that are passionate about our right to free speech. This president (and I use the term loosely) has made a mockery of our country. I hope and pray every night for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan – their bravery and patriotism are being exploited so this “president” and his cronies can reap the rewards of a prolonged winless war. Do your homework – OPEN YOUR EYES!

Clint ~ Menlo Park, CA
    You wrote, "Someone should kick Bush's ass. If given the opportunity, I would be first in line."
    – – – – –
    I have forwarded a copy of your message to the FBI's Western Regional Office in SF (which I understand is not too far from Menlo Park). Threatening the President of the United States is no light offense.
    I hope you are given the chance to explain yourself to the authorities. You reek of home-grown terrorist ideals mirroring Timothy McVeigh.
    Posted By James W Fairfield, Ca : September 6, 2007 7:35 pm

September 6, 2007 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  7. Mario, Clearwater, Florida.

I believe the President was correct in stating that we are "Kicking Ass" in Iraq. Americans that are not supportive of what the US is doing over there, and in other countires, should truly consider what will happen if we don't continue to follow through. As far as the President's use of language – right-on Mr. President!!

The media always shows the military's failures and ultimate sacrifices of the wonderful soldiers (and their families) who have given their lives in order to sustain and gain freedom – but it seems the media rarely reports the successes which outweigh the failures. I'm looking forward to hearing a very positive report from our military leaders on the surge progress. It is no time to pull out now.

I have a son that is now out of the Army and one that is still in the Air Force – I couldn't be more proud of their efforts and those of all our military personnel around the world.

Mario
    Proud father and American
    Clearwater, Florida

September 6, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  8. Bob Delaware, OH

thats funny so many people are turned off by his comment. i dont think most people would agree with it either.

September 6, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  9. fedupwithourgov't

I know who's ass I'd like to kick!

September 6, 2007 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  10. tom, nyc, ny

Now we can add "kicking ass" to "mission accomplished".
    I think that he said that "My foot is in my ass" or "I been smoking grass" and the general thought that he said "we are kicking ass"

September 6, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  11. Jeff S., Centerville, OH

Unbelievable! Nothing else can be said.

September 6, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  12. David Wheeler, Kerrville, Texas

Bush was a moron when he was governor of Texas. I don't know why the American people voted for him. Did they think he would not be a moron as president? Those of us who were not fooled by this idiot are horrified by what this man has done to our country. Those who voted for him – your getting exactly what you voted for.

September 6, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  13. Ed, Shreveport, Louisiana

Would someone in Congress please stand up and impeach this man?

September 6, 2007 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  14. Laura , Tulsa, OK

We send a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you fine men and women for your service to our country. Please know that you and your families are in our thoughts and prayers every day. Be safe as you do the difficult work, the work only the brave will dare to do. A truly grateful nation awaits you when you return!

September 6, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  15. Halley, Asheville, NC

yeehaw!

September 6, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  16. Mark Sabatine, Dayton, OH

If we are "kicking ass" why hasn't our president or any other lawmaker who has visited Iraq cared to step outside the comfort of the Green Zone to make such an announcement? I've heard Iraq is comparable to an Indiana's farmer market in summer.

September 6, 2007 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  17. Lane B. - Wilmington De.

We back at home honor you for your bravery and dedication to helping those around the world who do not have the freedoms that we take for granted here in the United States. There is a a majority of us here at home who truly support you. You are the Best of America. Heroes, one and all.

September 6, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  18. George Hopp, Ottawa, ON

If all is going so well in Iraq, why did the President need to sneak into the country and then sneak out again?

September 6, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  19. Clint, Menlo Park, CA

To James W Fairfield, CA,

You're funny.

To Prouddad, Bakeresfield, Cal:

You should be a proud dad.

September 6, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  20. Juanito, Washington, DC

GWB = moron.

September 6, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  21. Matt, WI

Wow! Wheather or not we are kicking ass in Iraq, I feel this is a terrible way to phrase it. Expecailly coming from the mouth of the President. I'm embarrased to be an American after reading this. What has this country come to? Ridiculous!

September 6, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  22. Sean P. Williams- Denver, CO

To all our troops that have been deployed and redeployed in the Middle East. THANKS SO MUCH for keeping us safe. And thank you for the great things you do that don't make it into the mainstream media reports. We're SO proud of you for fighting the good fight!

September 6, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  23. shamanbart, Minneapolis, MN

The "kicking ass" comment is a taste of the Republican and military disinformation campaign that is coming. If anyone has have paid attention to the papers at all this summer, he or she would know that there are still an astounding number of attacks and casualties (Iraqi and American). To state that the "surge is working" is a disservice to the truth - it still isn't anywhere near reasonably safe or secure in 99% of Iraq. All the presidential or military statistics and slogans won't make it so either, since they are twisting the numbers to suit their position.

Statements like "we're kicking ass" is designed for the people who don't bother with the facts (like many on this blog). The right wing and left wing name calling will not solve anything - we are destined to be polarized, spouting rhetoric, not engaged in debate.

Wake up people!

September 6, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  24. John Harlan Warren, Maplewood NJ

The Deluder-in-Chief now believes his own hallucinations.

September 6, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  25. Jim R

not to much longer in office.tiring of him using our taxpapers money for what we need here in the states.I will never ever vote for a republican again...can you see this for our children in the history books ...I surly would be ashamed!!!Hillary im giving ya my vote...shes the only candidate with sense..

September 6, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |