September 14th, 2007

For Snow, a 'bittersweet' departure

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It may be his last official day at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but White House Press Secretary Tony Snow was earning his paycheck this morning making the rounds on the early television shows.

Joining CNN's "American Morning" from the North Lawn, Snow pushed the White House line on Iraq, addressing critics of the administration’s war policy less than 12 hours after President Bush's prime time address on the subject.

"It is probably about time for members of Congress who have been hooked on a failure narrative to realize we're having some success, celebrate it, give our guys credit for what they're doing, and build on it," Snow said.

Snow became press secretary in May of 2006. He is currently fighting a recurrence of colon cancer, but cited financial considerations as his reason for departing.

Asked how he feels about stepping away from the podium, Snow said "it's bittersweet."

"It is very difficult to leave the White House,” Snow said “I've loved every minute of the job. In terms of my health, I’ve got cancer but it is in remission. We keep fighting it. I think this is one of the things I'm just going to keep doing for years and years – getting treatment and trying to hold it in abeyance. But that's where we are. I feel great. I'm doing fine.”

On his future plans, Snow said "I'm going to give some speeches, I’m going to work on some books and I'm going to devote myself to causes that I think are important. I'm pretty excited about the whole combination."

- CNN Associate Producer Stephen Bach

Filed under: Tony Snow
  1. Ray

Unfortunately, it is not military success that will bring this occupation and counter-insurgency operation to a successful conclusion for us. It is political accord among the three Iraqi factions. To date, there appears to be nothing more than abject failure to report. (But that won't garner any public support.)

September 14, 2007 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  2. EB

We'll certainly miss having a Fox spokesman on the payroll at the White House.

The sooner he's gone, the better.

September 14, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  3. RICH,NY.NY.

WHEN 4 MILLION PEOPLE LEAVE THE COUNTRY BECAUSE OF THE VIOLENCE AND OVER 200 THOUSAND IRAQ CITIZENS HAVE DIED AS A RESULT OF THE U.S. INVASION WITH NO RUNNING CLEAN WATER TO DRINK AND NO POWER FOR LIGHT NO JOBS TO WORK AND THE U.S. HAS ARMED ONE RELIGOUS GROUP AGAINST ANOTHER I CAN SEE HOW THE SURGE IS WORKING!!! THIS IS THE BEST SPIN I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE TIME!!!

September 14, 2007 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  4. N. Sanderson, Dayton, OH.

America needs to wake up and see that through Military victories we won the Revolutionary , War of 1812, French and Indian, and the Rest. I think our country needs to get our heads out of the Fast Food way of thinking and relize that it can't just happen over night. Look at our Gov't and you'll see that 200 years later we still have problems and people still die everyday from sectarian violence (but we call it Hate Crime's). For all of you that think this is going to happen over night, you need to get on board or get out of the way, because the longer America drags it feet, the Longer we will be there! Snow... Livestrong Bro.!

September 14, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. JJ, Cleveland, OH

It's a sad day at the White House...Tony Snow is the very definition of grace and class. The country is well served by such a fine man taking the mantle of one of the tougher jobs in government–facing the new breed of leeches in the 4th estate–and never failing to display conviction and courage in the face of a media hostile to this administration...the only beef the press corps could ever have with Snow is that he is too smart for the room–ANY ROOM–and keeping up with him or trying to play "gotcha" was always fruitless. All the best to you, Tony, and thank you for your service to this nation.

September 14, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  6. Pat, Huntington, NY

Don't let the white house back door hit you in the you know what. See ya you Fox News propaganda-ist! Gee, maybe you can go back to Fox Noise to spread more lies for the rethuglicans.

September 14, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. Rurik Hover, St. Paul, MN

Worst. Press secretary. Ever. He bumbled his way through as miserably and incompetently as Bush has.

September 14, 2007 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Raymond, El Paso TX

Sanderson, Dayton, OH

I completely agree with you, it won't happen overnight. How could it? They have a violent history dating back THOUSANDS of years. In fact, much of that violence has been due to occupations by other nations. Hmmm, similar to our current "nation-building" effort which was actually just an oil-grabbing move by the oil industry that backs the BU$H administration.

I find it ironic that there's one thing I agree with BU$H on. This war will go on beyond his presidency. Of course that's only if we allow it to which it will because of people like you. Democrats can't do much because they don't have the votes to override a veto.

But I guess it's also ok with you that your children's children can continue to die, or at least continue to pay, for the mess this idiot has gotten us into.

September 14, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. Kim Midland, Mi

Will someone please tell this man that it's okay to say you are leaving office because your time on this earth may be short, and you would like to spend as much time as possible with the people you love.

It's a symptom of the "Corporate" culture that Bush brought to the White House. Don't run it like a government, run it like a business where if anyone shows a shread of humanity, they are classes as people who are not "serious" about their career.

Geeze.....

September 14, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  10. K.D. Cleveland, OH

Does anyone else think that the saddest part of this whole thing is that there are currently seven comments on this page about one of the more prevalent (and at least recognizable) members of Bush's administration leaving his post whereas the last count I saw, 56,105 people have voted on whether or not they feel sorry for Britney Spears (I not being one of them, I promise).

September 14, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  11. Carmen, Longwood, FL

Good leadership and sensible policies are what will definitely take us out of the mess Bush/Cheney got us into. However, we continue to lack both. As for the departure of the latest WH mouthpiece, good riddance.

September 14, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Dave, Chicago IL

K.D.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's so upsetting that this country has gotten to the point of preferring celebrity news over pertinent news. It's the same with the Vick case. The guy abuses dogs (which, for the record, I find abhorrent and definitely should come with a stiff punishment), and it tops all MSM outlets for weeks. But when a group of people kidnap, torture and rape a 20-year-old girl for an entire week, it ends up at the bottom of the page. Grrrrrrrrr.

And as much as I hate to say it, it's as much our fault as the media's. Truth be told, if a media outlet focused only on what we feel is pertinent news and ignored all the celebrity fluff news, there's little doubt in my mind they'd be out of business in a week, by our hand.

September 14, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  13. Ali, Ithaca, NY

"Takes a Republican to say that they choose not to serve their country because it doesn't pay enough."

Heh. You mean, it takes a Republican to be honest, and a Democrat to lie about the bribes and illicit funds they accept?

I'm not sure I agree. I think there's corruption and greed in both parties, and I think there are honest people in both parties. But then again, I'm not a partisan moron.

September 14, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. jeremy, weymoth, mass

It never sank in me you as our mouthpiece for our president.Ofcourse you were not choosen with merrits or credit but just coz of who you are. I can never compare you with the first white house press secretary, at least I had a min to pay attention to him and his professionalism was one thing that I could not resist till even himself he figured he was being used and what he need to report is not what he was getting from bush white and he quits. As for you it is so Ironical to even come out and say you are leaving coz of less money now we see where you are headed, see ya! Don't dies soon though we can reserve you as a piece of history too!

September 14, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. Daniel, Winchester, Indiana

How did public discourse become so anger driven? Anymore, if you can't win your point you just shout-down your advisary... or better yet, don't even give the opposing side any slack, just shout them down from the begining.

September 14, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Paul, Philadelphia PA

I want to be clear – I am a liberal democrat that disagrees with everything the current administration stands for.

That said, I think Tony Snow was a breath of fresh air compared to the brainless tape recorder, Scott McClellan, that he replaced. Unlike McClellan, Snow was always comfortable at the podium, and explained the position of the administration clearly. McClellan would often resort to repeating talking points even when asked for elaboration.

Finally, I think Snow maintained a sense of humor even as he took the brunt of the press's abuse, and dealt some abuse himself. It was clear that he had the press's respect, as opposed to the loser before him, and I think that he conducted himself with professionalism and class – something that I think is missing from the way the majority of the administration conducts itself.

I wish him all the best

September 14, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Michael F, Ft Worth TX

Denying, defiant, and delierous to the very end. But what else would you expect from a former member of that bastion of solid reporting, Faux/Fixed Noise, and its minions Hannity, Hume, Coulter-geist, Kristol, and their finest....O'Reilly (O'Really !!!!!!!!)

September 14, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Come guys/girls Tony Snow is a ho. But that doesn't make him any different than any other Presidential Press Secetary. Being a ho is the biggest chunk of the job description. Although, I gotta admit he is one slick ho!

However, best wishes to him and his family in this time of personal crisis.

September 14, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  19. Sammy Young, California City, CA

It's costing us 79 kids and $10 billion A MONTH all because the Pres can't admit he made a mistake, and you all are fretting over Tony Snow, the Pres's personal lie maker leaving? Oh, please!!!!

September 14, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. J Houston, TX

How did public discourse become so anger driven? Anymore, if you can't win your point you just shout-down your advisary… or better yet, don't even give the opposing side any slack, just shout them down from the begining.

That's exactly what politics has become. Any idiot with a mic or a computer can spout off anything he wants and there are so many saying so much, you can't even check all their facts. People start making up things on both sides to serve their needs. The age of information has truly become disinformation.

We no longer give anyone a chance. You look up his party affiliation and then you run ads in the newspaper before you even listen to what he has to say. You look the other way during most of his testimony and then you ask questions you had written down 4 weeks ago rather than listening or believing for a second. GARBAGE that is what Washington has become. I'm tired of old men and women with big ego's and fat pocket books running this country be pandering to the masses.

September 14, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. alan St Louis Mo

Not surprised. Bushes cronies have a guilty mind. They only can get there hands so dirty where their to sick to work. This administration goes thru people like i go thru matches, smokeing a pack of cigs a day. With a year left in office I wonder how many more are going to resign. I cant wait till Bushes last day where he puts out a list of pardons for all his cronies. It be his big bang to shock america one last time.

September 14, 2007 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  22. Jaime, Seattle, WA

Maybe it is just me, but does anyone else feel that someone in Mr. Snow should not be citing lack of income as his reason for leaving this position? I read an earlier article stating his salary is $160,000+ per year. What an insult to the majority of Americans that he doesn't feel he can perform this job for a salary that most of us will never see. Maybe its petty and bitter of me, but when I see people working two or three jobs to make ends meet and feed their kids and give them a better chance in the world, to see this man resign a job because $160K/year isn't enough is sort of sickening to me.

September 14, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  23. anna, Appleton, WI

I will miss you Mr. Snow

September 14, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Ed / Reno / NV

I liked Tony Snow on Fox and I think he is the best press secretary any president has had. I'm saddened to see him go. I hope he turns up again on the air soon.

September 15, 2007 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  25. Gloria Morris Oxford, Ohio

So sorry to see you leave Tony. I remember you when you had your show in Cincinnati. I wish the White House would double your salary so you could stay. You are in my prayers and thanks for your wonderful service.

September 15, 2007 03:04 am at 3:04 am |