September 14th, 2007

Giuliani blasts NY Times for MoveOn ad

Giuliani said Clinton, MovOn.org, and the New York Times should apologize 'for what they did.'

(CNN) - MoveOn.org's New York Times ad calling into question Gen. David Petraeus' testimony before Congress drew more Republican ire Thursday - this time over the price the non-profit political advocacy group paid for the full-page ad.

The New York Post, citing MoveOn.org, reported Thursday that the organization paid $65,000 for the ad, calling it a $116,000 discount from the Times' usual $167,000 price. That prompted a pair of GOP presidential candidates to complain.

Rudy Giuliani, campaigning in Atlanta, blasted the Times and demanded that the newspaper "give us the same rate, the heavily discounted rate they gave MoveOn.org for that abominable ad."

And on Friday, the paper published the former New York City mayor's ad that defends Petraeus' record and criticizes Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, for her recent tough questioning of the general.

Newly announced candidate Fred Thompson noted in a campaign speech in Jacksonville, Fla., that the Times gave the group "a discount to make sure it (the ad) gets the widest possible circulation."

There's just one problem. The $65,000 rate is the Times' normal rate for an advocacy ad from a non-profit group, according to newspaper spokeswoman Catherine Mathis.

Mathis wouldn't disclose how much MoveOn.org paid for the ad, citing policy, and said the final cost of an advertisement in the paper depends on a number of variables. But, she said, the standard rate for a full-page, black-and-white advocacy ad would be $65,000.

The newspaper took issue with charges from some, repeated in the Post article, that the left-leaning MoveOn.org got a "family discount."

"We do not distinguish advertising rates based on the political content of the ad," the paper said in a statement. "In fact, the advertising department does not see the content of the ad before a rate is quoted."

"We believe the broad principles of freedom of the press confer on us an obligation to keep our advertising columns as open as possible," the statement continued. "In fact, there are many instances when we have published opinion advertisements that run counter to the stance we take on our own editorial pages."

MoveOn.org's ad appeared in the Times on Tuesday, the first day of Petraeus' testimony. Under the headline "General Petraeus or General Betray Us," the ad said that the top military commander in Iraq "will not admit what everyone knows: Iraq is mired in an unwinnable religious civil war." It also suggested that Petraeus' testimony was influenced by the White House.

During his testimony, Petraeus said that he had written his own remarks and that the White House had not seen them beforehand.

"To state the obvious," he said Wednesday after his testimony was complete, "I disagree with the message of those who are exercising the First Amendment right that generations of soldiers have sought to preserve for Americans. Some of it was just flat completely wrong and the rest is at least more than arguable."

- CNN Assignment Editor Alta Spells contributed to this report

Filed under: moveon.org • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Dan, New Orleans, Louisiana

Republicans are the biggest hypocrites in the whole world. First they all want to act like they are all religious and family oriented and support marriage and are against gay marriage. All I have to say to that is Vitter, Graig, and Gingrich (going after Bill Clinton when he was cheating on his wife at the same time). The list goes on and I really do feel bad for all those rightwing religious nuts when all those people they support suddenly are doing all this unchristian things.
    Second, they all want to act as if they are against character attacks. All I have to say to that is Swift boat ads, Ann Coulter and Limbaugh.
    I agree 100% with the person who said that Rudy is just milking September 11 dry. Why does he want us to elect him, as President of the United States and all he ever did was be a mayor? Are Republican really that stupid and blind to see that this man really have no qualifications what so ever to be president of the most powerful nation in the world?

September 14, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  2. Mia, Stafford, VA

RUDY – GET A GRIP

Those of you who say Democrats should stand up to Move On, should also get a grip. FREE SPEECH PEOPLE

I concur with the blogger who mentioned Generals being retired when they didn't concur with what Mr. Bush wants.

Rudy is a SICKO, he was married to his 2nd cousin for 14 years, that is disgusting. Many cultures marry their cousins, but that's not how we normally do things in AMERICA. What does that same about him. Not only was he married to his second cousin, he knew it was his second cousin, they grew up together. NASTY

I don't like him for many reasons, but I do hold his handling of his personal life against him. If he can't respect his wives, and kids, that says something about his character. Also, I'm concerned about the company he keeps, and the people he stand up for, saying they are the best people he knows. His best friend was defrocked for allegations of sex abuse, another friend brought up on corruption charges. That's great he stands up for his friends, my usually friends have many things in common. Things that make you wonder.

September 14, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  3. Jason Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Everybody out there is questioning why Rudy attacked Hillary Clinton claiming that she has no guilt in this...well actually if you paid attention to what the candidates were saying all the time, not just when it's during a debate or press conference, you'd know that Mr. Guliani is attacking Mrs. Clinton for one reason- she, like Moveon.org flat out called Mr. Petraus a liar. In fact, I believe her exact statement was that to believe him would "defy all reasonable thought" or something along those lines. The democratic candidates, and particularly Hillary Clinton, were calling Mr. Petraus a liar and said that his comments can't be trusted before he even opened his mouth. The man is one of the most decorated soldiers in this country, he is leading this war, and was originally supported by the same people who are now attacking him? Why would he possibly say something at the direction of the White House? Especially at the expense of American soldiers lives? He wouldn't. He's trained to lead, not to politicize and speak political jargon. The fact is that there is no reason Moveon.org or anyone should attack the man without full and complete proof that he's not forthcoming, which none of them have. Free speech is one thing, but to accuse him of lying before he even speaks is dispicable and something that shouldn't be tolerated.

I listened to the testimony before Congress and Obama and McCain were the only heavy hitters that treated the man with the respect he deserves. Clinton was there to put on a show and it was clear that she had one agenda and it wasn't to find out the truth and/or what was going on. It was to attack and make herself look good.

Clinton has no interest in making this country better. In fact, the only way she can succeed in this election is if America fails in Iraq. Her candidacy is tied directly to American failure. She would take pleasure and glorify if more American lives are lost. Is that the type of candidate we want? Someone that's cheering for more soldiers to be killed? I don't think so.

To be honest, I don't know enough about Obama's leadership and toughness to say one way or the other, but he seems intelligent and honest. McCain doesn't have a shot at winning, but he truly has a good heart and is open and honest about what he feels on every issue...he's not political and we need that.

Overall, I believe that there is freedom of speech in this country, but what moveon.org and Hillary Clinton and others have done is just UNPATRIOTIC and they should be reprimanded the only place it hurts for them...in the polls and in the poll of public opinion.

September 14, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  4. Tom (Plainfield, IL)

The headline of the ad was in poor taste, in my opinion. There is no need to engage in a personal attack on General Petraeus. That being said, I have no problem with the underlaying message. Moveon has the right to speak its mind about Iraq and they are not being unpatriotic to do so. My only question is where was the outcry when John Kerry was personally attacked by the swiftboaters?

September 14, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  5. Justin, St. Louis MO

To Ron from TX: I'm no Guiliani supporter, but he is not trying to limit free speech. He simply said he disagrees with those who are excercising the right. If we read the words correctly instead of assuming certain things just because we don't like the candidate, we may actually get somewhere.

September 14, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  6. Chris Saia, Astoria, NY

It's hilarious to think that the problem with Iraq is this ad, not five years of stupidity in Iraq.

September 14, 2007 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. Matt, Manchester, CT

"Give it a rest, Republicans.

The ad isn't that bad"

Love that quote from Christian in Tampa, FL. So if we also released an add w/ John Edwards on the front and the words hypocrite pasted across his forehead for wasting cash on such a huge house while he talks about poverty – I guess that wouldn't be that bad either, right? I guess you have to have integrity first before you can actually see when someone else's is called into question.

September 14, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. Lois Gaudet; Oakland, CA

This is why I will not vote for Rudy Giuliani. MoveOn.org post an article he doesn't like and he attacks Hillary Clinton. We are attacked on 9-11 but people from every county EXCEPT Iraq, and we attach Iraq. This is another example of "the gang that can't shoot straigt" and people who will say, do, and attack anyone if they think it will get the elected. There is only one honest Republican running and that is McCain. But even he can't get seems to know who is the real bad guys.

September 14, 2007 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. K.D., Cleveland, OH

"Rudy Giuliani campaigning in Atlanta, blasted the Times and demanded that the newspaper "give us the same rate, the heavily discounted rate they gave MoveOn.org for that abominable ad."

Is the problem the content of the ad or is Giuliani whining because he didn't have a coupon? The Times is allowed to have an editorial opinion whether that was the reason for the discounted ad or not. They are a business and no one should appreciate the separation between public policy and a business more than a Republican. You can't have your cake and eat it too Rudolph.

September 14, 2007 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. jim

Sorry Rudy. It's all part of the double standard. The Democraps and the liberal media like the Times and the Washington comPost get away with just about anything they want.

September 14, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  11. craig stevens Morgantown, WVA.

To all of you Anti-American Liberals;
    I stromgly suggest that you wake up & face reality as it really is instead of the self defeating agenda you all seem to profess. It's a cruel world out there and unless we do what is necessary to insure a free world we will all be speaking Russian or Chinese. If the US gives up on Iraq prematurely I guarantee you we will all live to regret it. How about putting our country 1st instead of you cowardise.

September 14, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. Elizabeth Accordino, Perrysburg NY

Such an uproar over the MoveOn ad in the Times. Why wasn't there an uproar when ads appeared questioning John Kerry and Max Clennan? Why hasn't there been an uproar over the administration playing fast and loose with the truth about the war? Recently I've been seeing ads on CNN that use wounded Iraqi vets talking about the need to continue the war and using words that are STILL trying to link this fiasco with 911. Where's the uproar about that? Maybe if the media and others had questioned Colin Powell's and others' testimony in the run up to the Iraq war, there wouldn't need to be questions asked now.And who knows if 6 months or a year from now, MoveOn might be able to say "we told you so." I wish the press and elected officials would stand up to the people who have done so much damage to so many. Where's the uproar about that?

September 14, 2007 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Pete, T.S. FL

Dan,

"Pete, Bill, & AJ Are you suggesting that only dems should have the right to free speech? "

Your fundemental mistake here is to assume that I may be a democrat, surprise I am a Republican who is not very happy with the party. I feel betrayed and I am man enough to admitt that America is in trouble. I served my nation for 26 years because I believe in the constitution and I am proud to defend our rights even those of people that I may not agree with.

September 14, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Zelda Minneapolis MN

Dear Kim
    What I mean is this. People laughed at the extremist ideals of Adolph Hitler, and basically ignored what was going on and ignored the threat. I see people doing THE SAME thing today with Muslim extremists. And the DEMOCRATS are THE WORST offenders! They're so consumed with their own self absorbed lives and social idealism that they seem to have no idea what's actually going on in the world. IN the meantime, fundamentalist extreme Islam is growing at an alarming rate and SLOWLY taking over once democratic societies like Turkey, and infiltrating places like Denmark and Germany. Listen up! George W Bush might not be perfect, but AT LEAST he's smart enough to take this threat seriously. The Democrats are WAY TOO WILLING to turn a blind eye. VOTE REPUBLICAN!

September 14, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. John,Brooklyn ,New York

First of all,,,
    Hillary's comment "a willing suspension of disbelief"is one of the funniest and most ironic comments I ever heard.
    Isn't she the same person who is married to BILL CLINTON ,,of,,
    "it depends on what you mean by IS " ,,fame ,,OR ,,"I did not have sex with that women ",,Fame.
    Secondly,,,
    The TIMES said that their advocacy rate is what MOVE ON paid and that that rate is for a "floating date" not a specific date,,,isn't it odd then that it appeared on the same day as the Petraous hearings!!!
    It looks to me like The TIMES just made about an $180,000 donation to the democratic party and all the Democratic candidates are afraid to say anything to upset George Soros OR the afree with what was said,,,Its that simple
    Ya gotta admit,,we are not even trying to have a reasonable debate of the facts anymore are we,,,

September 14, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  16. Steve, New York

Why doesn’t Giuliani, just ask for some money he and his cohorts have made off this illegal war? I’m sure there is enough to go around.

September 14, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  17. Frankie G

moveon.org motives and actions borderline treason – simple as that. If you believe otherwise, go find an education beyond that taught in the radical mosques you tend to mimic.

September 14, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  18. Bill Charleston SC

Christian from Selden NY,

I don't blindly follow anyone. If you'll reread my post, you'll see that I call for restraint in the exercise of our rights at times. Just so you know, I'm well informed, well read, I just don't happen to subscribe to the view that vocal, harsh criticism is what is best for our country. I also never said that I didn't question the leadership, I just do it in a more civilized way than the hate filled left and right do. I also happen to be a religious person, and I do not in any way shape or form "follow with no justicifation of credibility". But then again, that is exactly the type of language I expect to find on this message board.

September 14, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. Chris, Wilmington, DE

I can't believe what I am reading. How can you people support Moveon.org for smearing the name of a man who has devoted his life to serving and protecting this country? Do you really think that a 4 star General would perjure himself in front of the nation?

September 14, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Sarah, Kansas City, MO

When a republican(s) start whining about dirty tactics to me it is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Guilliani, 9/11, terrorists and Iraq. When is he going to stop running on 9/11? He did practically nothing, NYC citizens were the heros that day. When is he going to stop linking terrorism and Iraq? There were no terroists in Iraq before the war. The terrorists came when we unitlaterly attacked that country.

The republicans record when it comes to terrorism and this war is terrible. The situation is worse not better. Time to give someone else a try.

It is tempting to think about two veto-proof houses controlled by the democrats and a republican president who will be stuck with Bush's failed Iraq policy.

September 14, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Geri

1. Where were the GOP candidates when Fox Noise was criticizing and putting down Retired Generals who have said this war is a failure and we should pull out.
    2. The ad rate is normal, so Rudy should apologise. If the Republican version of MoveOn want to place a similar ad, then they can. Rudy did get the same rate for his ad, so why complain.
    3. For those who commented about Islamic Fundamentalists coming in to the U.S. if the U.S. doesn't stay in Iraq, you ought to look at the borders now. If 12,000,000 illegal immigrants can get in now, what the hell is going to stop anyone who wants to attack the U.S. from doing it now if they wanted too? Unsecured borders and waterways are very easy to get through. If terrorists want to attack, there are plenty of targets not secured, such as waterways, subways, hospitals and so on. Just watch the terrorism experts on TV and the idiots will tell you the targets.
    4. Katie Couric plays to the right wing? She's fighting for her job. But at least she had the guts to go, following Brian Williams and Bob Woodruff. Then you have those who stay there day in and day out almost since the beginning who tell you things are not getting better. I think all candidates and on air journalists commenting on the war ought to spend at least a month in Iraq. This would also include those good folks at Fox like Billo, John Gibbons, Brit boy, Hannity & Colmes, Neil Cavuto, Ann Coulter, Tucker Carlson, Joe Scarborough, Keith O, Chris M, Wolf, Lou and so on.
    Hats off to AC and Geraldo as they did it, and not just for a day or two.
    5. Rove clearly called John McCain's mental state into account when he ran for the GOP leadership years ago, but nothing was said then.
    6. I can't believe we all wasted this much time on this when over 3700 troops have been killed (how many since Mission Accomplished?) and over 20,000 wounded. Yeah, I guess it's worth the fight! To the young (18-40)who support this war, help out and sign up. You'll get a signing bonus!

September 14, 2007 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Pete, T.S. FL

Frankie G,

Get a life!

Chris Wilmington,

This whole war has been about perjury, I too served my country honorably, the difference is I choose to speak up based on my conviction that this war is a mistake and the General wants to keep his job. He is between a rock and a hard spot. It is his choice!

September 14, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Veronica, Stamford, CT

Posted By Dan (Baltimore, MD) : September 14, 2007 11:59 am

The only nonsense I see, Dan, is your weak attempts at justifying Rudy's whining. He said the ad slandered Petraeus; just as Rove & Co. slandered Max Cleland; just as the Swiftboaters slandered Kerry. It has nothing to do with who donates to who but EVERYTHING to do with selective outrage ... a pitiful GOP attribute indeed.

Therefore, YOUR argument is nonsense.

September 14, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  24. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Ya gotta feel sorry for Rudy!

Since he walks lock step with Bush in supporting the greatest foreign policy debacle of our time he's gotta talk about something.

September 14, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  25. Fred

The more the moveon and libs speak the more the Republican base getting energized. Keep it up. We are working on some congressional and prez race surprises.

September 14, 2007 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |