September 18th, 2007

Third time the charm?

Keyes is making a third run at the presidency.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Alan Keyes is hoping the third time’s the charm.

The conservative Republican is taking his third stab at running for the White House.

Keyes announced his candidacy Friday on a conservative radio talk show, saying he was unimpressed with the current GOP field.

“I just have been watching and following and haven't heard what is needed, and I think I'm like a lot of folks, who have just looked at it and been unmoved,” said Keyes, who also said he has filed the necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to formalize his bid.

Keyes is a veteran at running for elective office. The former State Department official during the Reagan Administration ran unsuccessfully for the White House in 1996 and 2000. He also ran for the U.S. Senate in Maryland and in Illinois. That run, in 2004, ended in a landslide loss to Democrat Barack Obama.

Keyes teamed up with five other GOP presidential hopefuls last night at a “Value Voters” forum in Florida. The top four Republican candidates, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney and John McCain did not attend the event.

- CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. josh, chicago, il

This guy is a nutjob from h*ll.

Just saying.

September 18, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  2. Joe, Florida

So sad, he lost to Obama in a landslide. How does he expect to fair against Obama, Clinton, or any of the other Republican contenders.

Landslide! that word may very well be used again in 2008, we will have to wait and see.

September 18, 2007 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

In an open letter to Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, the late A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr., Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, asked "What have the conservatives ever contributed to African-Americans? During the last ten years, you have often described yourself as a black conservative. I must confess that, other than their own self-advancement, I am at a loss to understand what is it that the so-called black conservatives are so anxious to conserve." 140 U.Pa.L.Rev. 1005, 1018 (1992).

September 18, 2007 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. Dan (Columbia, MD)

He was funny in the Borat movie.

September 18, 2007 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. Eric, Orange CA

A Black Conservative Republican, the Democrats worst nightmare.

Say goodbye to selling the victim status to African-Americans.

September 18, 2007 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. David, Arlington, VA

Well said, Jeff. I have no idea why Mr. Keyes is a conservative Republican, although he is certainly entitled to his beliefs. However, if he thinks that he is "like a lot of folks," he's really delusional. Who is he referring to, exactly? Maybe he is a "nutjob from h*ll" (that was pretty good, Josh).

September 18, 2007 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. Mark, Van Nuys, CA

It says something about you when the reaction to you becomming a candidate is uncontrollable laughter!

September 18, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

Sad case. My snap diagnosis is schizophrenia, but it could just be a case of Uncle Tom's Cabin Fever.

September 18, 2007 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. monica, rochester new york

Doesn't he have any loved ones around him to put a stop to this madness. I've never seen anyone fool themselves this badly!

September 18, 2007 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  10. Josue Romano, Buena Park, CA

I don't know you man!

September 18, 2007 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. Terry ...Baton Rouge, La

Give it up, already..you don't have a chance ..... seems you just want to get in the headlines....and get whatever money you can from whomever you can.

September 18, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  12. Steve, Phoenix, Arizona

He is the Pat Paulsen for the 21st Century.

September 18, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. Jeannie, Sacramento, CA

Keyes is an embarrassment to the African American people just for getting up in the morning! How could he possibly think the white southern bloc would support him? Of all the inane delusions of grandeur this moron has, running for president has got to be the most embarrassing!

September 18, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. Al, KS

All we need now is Pat Paulsen...am I showing my age? That should pretty well round out the field.

September 18, 2007 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. Jeff, Rochester

His "landslide" loss to Obama was due to the fact that Keyes was a last minute sub for the original candidate who dropped out. It had nothing to do with Obama's electability. Keyes ran for a couple of weeks before the election. Obama lucked into the senate...he won't luck into the white house.

September 18, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  16. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Funny, already we are hearing the usual BS from the phony "progressive thinkers" hammering a black man who confesses to be a conservative with the usual bigoted reference to an Uncle Tom.

Do black people have to be pigeon-holed into being liberals or Democrats and since you geniuses brought it up, how has the "lets vote just for liberals and Democrats" thing worked out for the black folks?

Michael Steele is an excellent example of how this hypocracy works, he is brilliant and caring of ALL folks, but yet when he last ran for office he was pelted with oreo cookies by the oh, so progressive thinkers in the crowd.

I don't agree with everything that Keyes represents, but I respect what he has attained in his life, not based on excuses but that tried and true american value, HARD WORK.

Remember when that's what this country stood for, Hard work and not entitlements?

September 18, 2007 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. Bill Charleston SC

Jeannie in Sacramento,

I happen to be white, and southern, and have been a fan of Dr Keyes for many years now. He would make a fine president. He is one of the most articulate, well spoken people I have ever heard. He brings much to this election, and although his support most likely will not be that of the frontrunners, I certainly hope that his views will be heard.

I don't understand why you call him an embarrassment to the African American people, could it be you have a problem with a black man with other than liberal views?

To all of the others who have used this post to tear down Dr Keyes, I would be ashamed if I were you. I truly hope this is not what our country has degenerated into. Oh, you all have the right to speak your mind, but since you do, maybe you should thank a soldier, for they guarantee that right for you.

September 18, 2007 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  18. Bob, Somerville NJ

Hey Tom, that's a great straw man argument. Instead of criticizing what people actually said, just claim they said something else. Kind of like Giuliani's demand that Clinton take back her words, making it look like SHE was the one who said "General Betray Us."

I don't care what skin color Alan Keyes is. He's a far-right loony... so far right that he actually believes the anti-gay rhetoric and disowned his lesbian daughter. I guess you could credit him for not being a hypocrite, that is, if you were desperate to find something nice to say.

September 18, 2007 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  19. spraynurdkruger

I don't care if this man is black. I do care that he has called homosexuals immoral sinners and has treated them as unequals.

September 18, 2007 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. Patrick, Alexandria, VA

Bill, why is it whenever a conservative praises a black person they always use the term 'well-spoken'? Is it really that big a surprise to you that you find it worth mentioning?

September 18, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  21. John, Newport News, VA

September 18, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  22. JWH

"he was unimpressed with the current GOP field"

Right. No minorities whatsoever was on the GOP side of the field. It didn't represent America as a whole. I bet the GOP BEGGED Keyes to run! LOL!

The Republicans are toast in 2008. 🙂

September 18, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. Jermika, Tx

Man there's so much comedy in the news this week. First OJ falls for the okie doke (most obvious setup EVER) and now this loon ate some bad Thai food and woke up wanting to be President. This is great!

Keep it coming...

September 18, 2007 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. JB Boston MA

Jeannie-
    Why is Alan Keyes an embarrassment to the African American Community? Do you say that about 50 cent? How about OJ? These are true embarrassments. I bet you can't tell me one political position that Alan Keyes takes. Look it up and get back to me, maybe you will learn something.

September 18, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

Bill, please don't cheapen the work of soldiers who died for this country by trying to declare that they died so you could use them to stifle discussions. WWII was a fire burning the world, and we put out what we could reach. We were never in danger of being invaded by Korea or Nam, or Granada or Panama. Soldiers are fine people, and we'd be in bad shape without our military, but our freedoms are ensured by diplomacy and treaties and trade as much as by fear of our army.

I've been aware of Keyes for many years, and I sincerely believe that although he is, as you say, articulate and well-spoken, he is also crazier than an outhouse rat.

September 18, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |