September 18th, 2007

Third time the charm?

Keyes is making a third run at the presidency.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Alan Keyes is hoping the third time’s the charm.

The conservative Republican is taking his third stab at running for the White House.

Keyes announced his candidacy Friday on a conservative radio talk show, saying he was unimpressed with the current GOP field.

“I just have been watching and following and haven't heard what is needed, and I think I'm like a lot of folks, who have just looked at it and been unmoved,” said Keyes, who also said he has filed the necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to formalize his bid.

Keyes is a veteran at running for elective office. The former State Department official during the Reagan Administration ran unsuccessfully for the White House in 1996 and 2000. He also ran for the U.S. Senate in Maryland and in Illinois. That run, in 2004, ended in a landslide loss to Democrat Barack Obama.

Keyes teamed up with five other GOP presidential hopefuls last night at a “Value Voters” forum in Florida. The top four Republican candidates, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney and John McCain did not attend the event.

- CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Getan Pade SD, CA

If he is not elected then will Jesse Jackson say it is racism and America is not ready for a black president?

September 18, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. Rob

People don't you see that negativity is the key to winning an election in America. I'm sure the Republican party recruited Mr. Keys as a spoiler candidate. Knowing how he ran his campaign against Obama he slung mud and anger all over the place. Republicans also don't have a good minority candidate but if they can get Keys to go after Obama again they don't have to worry about being called racist.

This is a dirty trick but dirty tricks win the game of chess for some. Republicans want to win at any cost. They focus on negativity to win elections and force staying power through it. Some people in this country have to be mad at someone all of the time I guess. But Mr. Keys God has put a man of class and honor in the game. If you and your Republican buddies succeed in stopping him that’s okay because maybe he was put here to put the seed of hope again in the American people and hope will always prevail. Obama 08!

September 18, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. Jon, Sacrament ~ Ca

I'm a conservative that genuinely tries to stay informed and open-minded. While I don't agree with many of the positions or statements of Senator Obama, I would NEVER disqualify or discount him because of his race. Further I would say Mr Obama IS a very articulate candidate (not because he is black... but because he speaks VERY well).

Alan Keys is very articulate and I enjoy listening to him. At times I feel I am listening to more of a minister as Mr Keys integrates his faith deeply into his view of life. In the black community (leaders) Alan Keys is better example and more of a Reverend than Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton (even without "Rev" in front of Alan Keys name).

I am appalled at the insinuations and bigotry shown on this blog (uncle tom, embarrassment to African Americans, etc). If you disagree with his politics, religion, etc – fine, but calling him an uncle tom that is an embarrassment to the black community is just racist. SADLY – those comments are being made from people who view themselves as tolerant and likely part of the "progressive" party.

September 18, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  4. DT, Madison, WI

Patrick in Alexandria-

I agree with your point that such so-called praise is an insult.

However, it's not just conservatives who say that that sort of stuff- just ask Joe Biden (D), who said it was good to have a "clean" and "articulate" black candidate in Obama. Of course, the outrage was suppressed.

September 18, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. Patrick, Chicago

To Jeff in Rochester, Keyes entered the Senate race in the spring before the November election, not a few weeks as you stated. Obama did indeed have a much easier time running against Keyes than he would have running against the Republican who was forced to drop out over a sex scandal. However, Obama was already ahead in the polls versus his Republican opponent and in all likelihood would have won the Senate race anyhow. The fact that Keyes is "nutjob from hell" made it all that much easier.

September 18, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Mike, NY

His pandering in last night's Values Voter debate was gutwrenching.

You have to wonder who would donate money to this guy. The only reason he's in there is to keep his name alive so he can make more book deals and speaking fees. He knows he's going nowhere.

September 18, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  7. E.B. Johnson, Spring, Tx.

Hey come on now if the Republicans start showing a bit of diversity who knows WHAT will happen. You may see candidates such as Keyes showing up at Urban League, NAACP, and Hispanic invitations. And I'm sure one thing the Republican right wing machine doesn't want is to have a non-white male trying to run for president.

September 18, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  8. Gary, Gaffney, SC

From All The Black People:

Alan Keyes your privaleges as an African-American have been official revoked. Not that you would care anyway.

September 18, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. Anony, Cleveland

"Keyes is a veteran at running for elective office" (quote from article)

Yeah he also looks like a veteran at losing elections too.

Even Ron Paul and Kuchinch should better than this nazi

September 18, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. Anonymous

That's funny,

September 18, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. lavelle, Rochester,Ny

In an open letter to Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, the late A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr., Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, asked "What have the conservatives ever contributed to African-Americans? During the last ten years, you have often described yourself as a black conservative. I must confess that, other than their own self-advancement, I am at a loss to understand what is it that the so-called black conservatives are so anxious to conserve." 140 U.Pa.L.Rev. 1005, 1018 (1992).

^^^Exactly People were afraid of Malcom X, Some whites and some blacks. Those who were afraid were those who he called the "Uncle Toms" now If you really understand the meaning of this world then that is who this guy is. Now it could be a negative and it could be a positive for that person who is the "House Negro" The only way its a positive is when that "Uncle Tom" is the one who is benefiting from his/her position. When you are searching and searching for acceptance and just looking to fit in by changing your culture then yes you are that a Tom. However the negative is the people you leave behind. You lose touch with your people. Its hard for some white Americans to understand that, because they see it as giving a "black" an opportunity. But for blacks and the "big picture" guys like Alan and Clearance have done a disservice to blacks from day one. They don’t look to build the people but tear it down along with those who already look to keep blacks in there place. Its sad but its the realities and truth of what really goes on with black people.

September 18, 2007 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. Rodney Dallas TX

Seriously? Seriously? Another Republican running? Isn't there already like 75 running?

September 18, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. kathe oakland california

Alan Keys???? Who in the heck is this guy. I would not vote for him if he were only candidate running on either side. Come on, maybe I should enter my pet into presidential race too.

September 18, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. Ralph, SC

Earth to Keyes:

The Republican Party Does Not Want You as their President or anything else! Can't you see that man.

September 18, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Pat, Huntington, NY

This guy, with his ultra-right wing homophobic platform is sickening. Hope he as the same Ralph Nader effect that perpetual candidate had in Florida, only this time, Keyes takes votes away from rethuglicans.

September 18, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Matt, Paris, Illinois

Jeff from Rochester.

You don't know anything about the U.S. Senate Race between Obama and Keyes. Since I live in Illinois, I'll inform you:

Obama was leading the previous Republican candidate Jack Ryan during the summer of 2004. Ryan dropped out after a sex scandal was unveiled, and Keyes announced he was running in August of 2004. That's three months before the election...a little bit longer than just "a couple weeks."

Keyes was an opponent of Obama's long enough to claim that "Jesus Christ would not vote for Barack Obama" and participate in several debates with Obama.

Get your facts straight before making yourself look foolish on the blog.

September 18, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. Francis L.

The mere fact that the "so called" Republican frontrunners are blowing off minority sponsored debates show that they are about the usual politics of exclusion.
    Mitt Romney, Guiliani, McCain and Fred Thompson have all declined to participate in a debate at predominately black Morgan State University on next Thursday. In this day and age, no person should be elected president that excludes certain people from among those they are speaking to.

September 18, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. Karen, Orlando, Fl.

Black, White, Purple, or even striped this guy is a nut job regardless of what color he is

September 18, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

If you're keeping score, the joke part of that was 'cabin fever.' Two hundred and forty-six thousand other people called him Uncle Tom already. I'll probably vote for Obama unless he steps on his junk before the election, so don't waste your breath (a) calling me racist (b) expecting PC humor from Georgia.

I really do think Keyes is insane, however. That's no joke.

September 18, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Eduardo, Los Angeles, CA

"If at first you do not succeed, you try and try again." I think Mr. Keyes is commendable and deserves respect.

I was born in Cuba and raised in the US. I consider myself an American of Cuban descent. I am also white and a Gay Republican. I would vote for Mr. Keyes but before his securing my very important vote, as with any other Democrat or Republican candidate, I will follow his election campaign; conduct my own research on where he stood on the key issues that are of utmost importance to me and my beliefs.

I am objective enough to consider voting for a Democrat (and have previously done – once). In fact, I am not a Clinton supporter and do not agree with or believe what she entirely has to say (one thing is trying to get in office; another is being there). However, out of all the democrats running for President, I would consider voting for her based on what she has mostly disclosed and which are in agreement with my beliefs. In other words, as long as the candidate's "pros" outweigh "cons" and for betterment of and unification of all Americans, our country and World.

Kudos to Mr. Keyes!

September 18, 2007 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. A Smith, suburban Houston, TX

Remember when that's what this country stood for, Hard work and not entitlements?

Posted By Tom – Dedham, Mass : September 18, 2007 11:15 am

Yeah. the FREE LABOR OFF OF THE BACKS OF SLAVES and the "superior entitlement" and prosperity of whites in America.

You know you really are the original social welfare recipients, right?

The history books don't quite put it that way, though....

September 18, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  22. Bruce, Franklin, TN

The Republicans needed someone to balance out Kucinich.

September 18, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Bill, Streamwood, IL

If anybody really wants to learn what a true CONSERVATIVE is, pay attention to what Alan Keyes has to say. He isn't one of those namby-pamby neocons like George Bush, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, Ann Coulter, Fred Thompson, etc. Keyes is the real honest to goodness thing.

When Keyes ran for Illinois Senator(after the Jack/Jeri Ryan fiasco knocked Jack out of the race) he embarrassed the state Republican organization so bad, it is still in shambles (of course they haven't yet realized it).

Needless to say Keyes lost, but he said he would stick around and show IL Republicans how to be true conservatives. There was a collective intake of breath from IL Republicans followed by a long exhalation when Keyes disappeared from sight. To quote a line from a Monty Python movie, "and there was great rejoycing."

My only comment is, if you thought Bush was bad, elect Alan Keyes, you ain't seen nuthin yet.

September 18, 2007 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. David, San Diego, CA

I love this "injection" of new Republican candidates for the express purpose of diluting support for Ron Paul. As well as the media downplaying him just because the telephone polls are not capturing his supporters... younger people who probably aren't going to sit around on a telephone answering polls.

September 18, 2007 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  25. Jim, Columbus, MS

As a supporter of Hillary Clinton, I welcome the candidacy of Mr. Keyes. If he gets the Republican nomination, she will score the greatest landslide victory ever. The Reagan-Mondale election will look like a close call!

September 18, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |