September 21st, 2007

Obama talks about mother's cancer battle in ad

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama talks about his mother’s own losing battle with cancer and takes a veiled shot at New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, in a new ad released Friday by his presidential campaign.

Obama said that if lobbyists continue to have so much influence over Washington, the health care system will never change. Unlike Clinton, Obama does not accept campaign contributions from lobbyists.

“For 20 years, Washington’s talked about health care reform and reformed nothing,” Obama said. “I’ve got a plan to cut costs and cover everyone. But unless we stop the bickering and the lobbyists, we’ll be in the same place 20 years from now.”

Obama personalized his views on reforming the health care system by talking about his mother, who died in 1995.

"My mother died of cancer at 53," Obama. "In those last painful months she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well. I hear stories like hers every day."

The ad started running in Iowa on Friday.

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • Political ads
  1. richard

I am amazed at all the Hillary backers in an article that clearly shows that Obama is the only one who has a solid stance on how people feel. He is right, no one can get better if they have to worry about the money to pay for getting well. He is one of the only candidates who shows a true understanding of human suffering.
    He may be the only human one in there.
    I'm am a 31 year old married white dude in Texas. I would vote for Obama, maybe Richardson, NEVER EVER HILLARY> And I am a REPUBLICAN looking for my next President. OBAMA is the only one I can see respecting in 2008. If the Democratic party wants to heal this nation, he is the only one that will. Hillary will just switch the complaints about the PRESIDENT to the other side of the isle and we will have 4 more years of nothing but whiners. Great stories for the media, which is why they back her.

September 22, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  2. Tony G

ILA PADULA : September 21, 2007 8:10 pm

what a load of crap. You are an insensitive person and no one in her right mind would say stuff like this. Shame on you. By the way, Obama's message is not for people like you, Its for believers! Shut your pie hole.

Jeff Spangler, VA...You have been a hatemonger since I have come to see your hateful and ill-informed posts. I wonder what you will do when Obama is the next POTUS. As an independent, I know so many of us and republicans that arte going to vote for Obama. Not Hillary coz she is what drives your ignorance.

September 22, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  3. Ron Nebraska

Padula is exactly what is wrong with our political system right now......ignorant people who think their skewed and most obviously false notion of the system leads them to make such awful decisions as voting for Bush/Rove/Cheney. There should be an I.Q. test before you're allowed to vote.

September 22, 2007 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  4. Brianna Webb, McEwen, TN

You may hear stories like these everyday but do you always do something about them. I remember a Sailor coming to you who had the audacity to believe that you were a man of integrity and only finding out that the audacity of hope was to much to ask from the Presidential hopeful. Would you have helped him if he had been black????

September 23, 2007 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  5. Jeff, Atlanta, Ga

Obama talks about changing health care but he will change it to Universal health care which is worse than the system we have now. If we had universal health care his mom would have died faster. Go to youtube and watch the 20/20 special about health care with John Stossel.

September 24, 2007 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  6. Bruno, Illinois

Obama is NOT a Christian. He is NOT a Muslim. He is an apostate Muslim converted to Christianity for political purposes.

October 8, 2007 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |