September 24th, 2007

Obama to receive union endorsement on Clinton's turf

Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, will be endorsed for president Monday by the Correction Officers' Benevolent Association, a New York City union that represents 9,000 jail workers., a source close to Obama tells CNN.

Obama will accept the endorsement at a late morning news conference in New York City, the home turf of one of his chief rivals for his party's presidential nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York.

The union proclaims on its Web site that it's job is to "patrol the toughest precincts in New York ... the City jails."

Later in the day, Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Indiana, will endorse Clinton for president, a source close to Clinton tells CNN.

- CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. laurinda,ny

Who cares who they endorse. I bet the UAW will go for Clinton! They carry more weight.

September 24, 2007 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. John Chicago

Gaining momentum at the right time. Go Barack!

September 24, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. Glenda McEwen TN

I don't care who endorses Senator Obama, if he wins the nomination I will vote Republican. My son had the Audacity to Hope for Senator Obama's help when he was in Illinois, and was turned away. Since Senator Obama has a vision, and believes in the Audacity to Hope, my son was lost at sea until Senator Clinton intervened on his behalf. I want a president who helps everyone and Senator Obama you are not it.

September 24, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. JC

Here's how it works. Clinton's got a handful of endorsements and she holds them until Obama gets one or her campaign takes a hit. So, Hsu gives her trouble, Clark endorses. Obama picks up a union endorsement in new york, Bayh endorses. And so it will go from now until january. The only thing that will change this is if Clinton does not get the endorsement of a big Democratic player, a Gore, a Kerry, a Mondale, a Kennedy.

September 24, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. Grace, NY

I guess everyone in NY isn't behind or supporting her

I know I'm not

September 24, 2007 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Wallace, Chicago IL

Glenda McEwen TN

Vote Republican. So if I need help and decide to go to Mitt Romney during the election season and he doesn't return my call, I should automatically vote Democrat huh?

I'm not sure what happened exactly with your son, but it sounds like you are upset because you (one person out of thousands) didn't get to see Obama personally.

I'm sure my schedule is nowhere near as hectic as Obama's, and I don't have time to speak to every single person that comes up to me and asks for something... and I simply work in a regular office building. The United States has approximately 290M people in it. Although you want priority over other everybody else, sometimes it just can't happen.

I'm glad your son got help.

Take care.

Wallace

September 24, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. Antony, Dallas TX

Glenda McEwen TN

You are part of the reason that this country is going to the dogs. Presidential candidates can't do PERSONAL favors for all of us. This is so low that since your son wasn't able to see Obama in person for a personal reason, then you will vote republican. As far as I am concerned, at this rate you will end up not voting and frankly speaking...good riddance!!!

September 24, 2007 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. james, nyc, ny

we are hungry of a leader and we hope you can do this for us.

September 24, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. laurinda,ny

JAMES OF NYC,NY, Were you by any chance in the same classroom with president Bush? You sound like it.

September 24, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Travis

Clinton, Obama, Clinton and Obama, Clinton, Obama, Clinton. Just summarizing CNN's ticker headlines.

September 24, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. Dan (Columbia, MD)

It's news reports like this that make me happy I do not belong to a union.

Very happy.

September 24, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. monica, rochester new york

Travis your correct except it's more like this:
    Clinton good, Obama bad, Clinton good, Obama bad.
    CNN likes to bury positive stories about Obama and prioritize anything that has the words hip-hop or stinky in it. Their objective is clear to me.

September 24, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

In my experience, COs are mainly wanna-be or has-been cops who haven't yet been caught and jailed. But they're down with their homies and understandably support Bama.

September 24, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Chris, MIddletown, CT

Any progressive candidate would dismiss any union endorsement – all unions need to be terminated in this country – stating will all the municiple unions....at one point in time in our history the president determined that municipalities cound not be unionized....as it was "not in the public good" – look at the teachers union – non-progressive – backs the worst teachers from being terminated....we need someone who will eliminate unions....they were good...back in the 1940's...no more..

September 24, 2007 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  15. pam Eugene OR

I am so glad you said that Monica from NY. CNN has such a clear bias towards Billary. They always try to belittle Obama and elevate HRC. According to CNN everyone else who is running should just give up and crown Hillary. Won't they be in for a big surprise in 08 and they will look pretty dumd for proclaiming her our next president.
    Anyone BUT Hillart 08.