September 25th, 2007

The Donald: Time for Bush to go into 'hiding'

Watch Trump sound off on politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Donald Trump has some advice for President Bush if he wants a Republican to win the White House: Hide.

The business mogul and vocal critic of the Bush administration told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Monday that he thinks the president is a "huge liability" for any Republican seeking the White House. Trump went on to say the best thing Bush can do for his party is to go into "hiding."

"I think President Bush has to go into a corner and hide if a Republican is going to get elected," he said. "There is no way he is an asset. He is a huge liability, and he is going to have to do a big, big hiding act if a Republican is going to win."

Once a Republican nominee is determined, Trump added, Bush "should just go into a corner and say 'Okay, that's it. I am finished. It's over.'"

Trump also reiterated his comments to CNN in March that Bush is "probably" the worst president in American history, saying, "We've gone from this tremendous power that was respected all over the world to somewhat of a laughing stock."

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Full story

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Bush
  1. Marshal Phillips, Wichita, Kansas

well, it's possible for The Donald to be an idiot and to be right about Bush.
    but then, we all think Bush is also an idiot too. right? although we're republicans, we think that Bush is an idiot too. It takes one to know one.
    we're voting for Hillary as a rebuke to Bush & the neo-con religious whackos who have taken over our GOP party.

September 24, 2007 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. Gary M, Austin Texas

What is it about Bush that generates such hatred from liberals? He spends like a liberal. He created a huge new welfare program (drug plan) like a liberal. He wants amnesty for illegals, like the liberals. What is it? Iraq? Clinton bombed them, Bush just took it a step further and invaded. Really, what would you libs have done differently? Hell, FDR is a liberal hero, and he set up concentration camps for US citizens.What did Bush do? Trace phone records of suspected terrorists? Yeah, that's equivalent.

September 24, 2007 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  3. Pat

Donald should be ashamed to keep making these stupid comments. He is a loon and should go hide himself.

September 24, 2007 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  4. Griffin T. Murphey, D.D.S., Fort Worth, Texas

Typical remark from an American robber-baron elitist who never gave a day of military service *(not even National Guard!) – therefore irrelevent drivel.

September 24, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. Avatar, BRF

"Bush "should just go into a corner and say 'Okay, that's it. I am finished. It's over.'""

Wow, even the Donald seems to forget that Bush is NOT running again. Egotisical clown, such a knowledge of politics, this one has.

September 24, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  6. L Tucker, Raleigh NC

Bush is the laughing stock of the world – oh, really. If that is the case why is it that the Canadians, French, and Germans elected pro-Bush, pro-American leaders and turned away from anti-Bush, anti-American candidates? And why would a respected world business leader like Jack Welch, retired from GE, state that under this administration's leadership the economy has been nothing less than phenomenal – especially in light of 9/11, Katrina, the Iraq war – that we have created over 10 million jobs since Bush took office, while Europe has created less than 200,000 and Japan less than 2 million? When it comes to evaluating healthy business progress and environments, I think I would go with the opinion of Jack Welch over Donald Trump any day. As well, there is no telling where this world would be if Bush was not making a stand against the radical Islamics that want to rule the world – and that is not an opinion – that is their stated goal – just read their websites.

September 24, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  7. Diane Milwaukee, WI

President Bush has more integrity in his little finger than "The Donald" could muster up in his lifetime. The Donald should do us a favor and walk off into the sunset with Rosie (they deserve each other) and spare us his gasbag rantings and ugly hair!

September 24, 2007 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  8. Mark Fort Worth, Tx

Ok now that all of you have had your agreements and thrills. Lets get back to reality. Before you go to bed tonight ask yourself if you would be better off had Bill Clinton been in office when our country was attacked.
    If you think yes then Hillary is your choice. If you think no then the Republican nominee is your choice. George "W" Bush is a blessing in disquise to this country and will go down in history as a President with very good strategic vision for our country as well as man with faith in the Lord which has made this country great as well as our founders. My family and I sleep well at night knowing we have this dedicated man in charge of this great country. I would ask everyone to look real hard at what is best for our country before you check that box in the voters booth.

September 24, 2007 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  9. Zambero, Boise ID

I wish Trump had the authority to say "BUSH, YOU'RE FIRED", and make it stick!

Since he doesn't, I hope Bush campaigns like all get out for GOP candidates in '08. He's the kiss of death, and would drag them down to defeat wherever he shows up.

R.I.P GOP!

September 24, 2007 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  10. C. D. Mason, Santa Fe, NM

I agree with The Donald completely. If the Republicans in Congress do not distance themselves soon from the Administration, there may not be a Republican Party after the coming elections.

The Administration is a complete and total disgrace. They are, intellectually and functionally, morons.

I have been a lifelong Republican but now I do not know where to turn. Neither part seems to possess any dignity, civility, or desire to achieve the nation's business. Power and money are the only remaining coin of the realm.

The flat out lying, the perfected practice of personal destruction, the constant distortion of reality in hopes that their hallucinations will somehow become fact are beyond my comprehension.

The final travesty in all this is that I voted for them, unable to believe what was right before my eyes. May the God they profess to have some intimate knowledge of please forgive me.

September 24, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. Eugene Boyanton

How rich would the "Donald" Duck be if his daddy had not staked him. You don't have to be smart to be the son of a rich man. Ask Hill.

September 24, 2007 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  12. Elisabeth, San Diego, CA

I have never agreed with much of what Donald Trump says, until now. I agree that President Bush is probably the worst President in the history of the United States. ( I'm hopeful that we will never see one that is any worse !!!) I am a middle of the road voter and can't wait until the election of 2008 just to finally close the door on the Bush administration. The arrogance is only topped by the incompetence.

September 24, 2007 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  13. Johnny Cooper

Wasn't Trump in cahoots with Frank MacKay of the Independence Party about running for President? I think I saw that on CNN a whiles back. Maybe Trump will get himself into the race and have Rosie as his running mate LOL.

September 24, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  14. Michael, Seminole, FL

Donald was apparently sleeping in the 80s when nearly all of Europe was in the streets protesting Reagan.

Ask Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy, and Reagan. At one point in all their presidencies they had extremely low approval ratings. It is not about the polls. It is not about pleasing bimbo billionaires. It is about doing what is right.

Donald is many things, but he is no leader. I would love to see him run so his massive ego can be stomped.

September 25, 2007 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  15. Gome, Morgan Hill, CA

As a fan of Donald and a Republican who voted for Bush twice, I have to admit that after 6 years, I made a mistake. Taking his eye off OBL and invading Iraq with no exit plan, his spending habits, his courtship of Mexico and how he has alientated most of the world has to place him up there on the mantel with worst presidents ever. I can only hope that we vote in a good Christian family man like Rommey who can bring some discipline and respect back to our country.

September 25, 2007 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  16. Robert, Dallas, Texas

Like it or not, Guillianu will beat Hillary. That is a fact and everyone knows it, and EVERY poll has shown it.

September 25, 2007 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  17. cameljockey, Los Angeles, CA

the laughingstock is Donald Trump.

September 25, 2007 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  18. scott, manchester NH

even with the issues i have with trump over all the rosie o'donnell crap, he could not possibly have said it any better,clearer or RIGHT ON THE MONEY, with those comments...: Bush is BY FAR the WORST, DUMBEST prez..........EVER!

September 25, 2007 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  19. Camp Henry, South Korea

That man that some of us call a joke we put him in office not once but twice after seeing what a mess our country had become, please let's not make the mistake the third time. And yes Donald Trump is right regardless who he is. The truth is the truth.

September 25, 2007 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  20. Dave Rogers

I can't believe that people like The Donald are given a forum to make unintellegent and uninformed statements. I don't agree with Bush on a lot of things but I do not believe that we are a laughing stock. Sounds like the Donald has been listening to his friend Mamouhd from Iran.
    Posted By Wvatex, Pollok, TX : September 24, 2007 7:30 pm

You should wake up and start believing, I travel to various parts of the world on a monthly basis and it is consistent in every country I have been to, America is the laughing stock of the world and the sooner you realize it and wake up the better. And all you people that are bashing Donald Trump for speaking out which is his right to do so as well as his duty are not even being listened to, people that are reading this blog are laughing at you just like they are laughing at bush. I am absolutely ashamed to have America as my neighbor with bush at its head as I have to constantly defend you people wherever I travel and im sick and tired of it! Please vote responsibly this time around and get your image back so I can once again be proud!

September 25, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  21. John David Carrollton Texas

I blush for Donald's attempt at intelligence. I'm so embarrassed for him.

September 25, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  22. Rob, Walnut Creek, CA

Trump – hold your tongue oh exalted judgemental one. Bush may be hated, but his job is far more difficult than he gets credit for.

Carter was the worst president...

September 25, 2007 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  23. Taylor, Casper WY

Wasn't it President Bush's father's administration that helped bail out Donald Trump's company from bankruptcy? Interesting how he has nothing but complaints now...

September 25, 2007 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  24. Gene Dallas,Texas

I new Donald was a wise man. But I would hope that the bible belt would get a clue and vote for the Demicratic party regardless if he goes into hiding or not. Why is it that the Blue states have a higher population and generally a higher average IQ?

Posted By David Boston,MA : September 24, 2007 1:22 pm

one thing is certain, you are stupid, and need some schooling..

September 25, 2007 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  25. Lisa, Tyler, TX

Another reader said that the lead candidate has alienated the core of the Republican party. I'm assuming they mean Rudy Guliani. If so, they are wrong, wrong, wrong. Why does Guliani continue to lead in the polls? Because he has alienated the core? The core of the party is generally disgusted with so-called conservatives. As long as Rudy is tough on illegal immigration, he'll get the nomination. Roe v. Wade is the least of our concerns right now. JMO

September 25, 2007 01:20 am at 1:20 am |