September 25th, 2007

The Donald: Time for Bush to go into 'hiding'

Watch Trump sound off on politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Donald Trump has some advice for President Bush if he wants a Republican to win the White House: Hide.

The business mogul and vocal critic of the Bush administration told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Monday that he thinks the president is a "huge liability" for any Republican seeking the White House. Trump went on to say the best thing Bush can do for his party is to go into "hiding."

"I think President Bush has to go into a corner and hide if a Republican is going to get elected," he said. "There is no way he is an asset. He is a huge liability, and he is going to have to do a big, big hiding act if a Republican is going to win."

Once a Republican nominee is determined, Trump added, Bush "should just go into a corner and say 'Okay, that's it. I am finished. It's over.'"

Trump also reiterated his comments to CNN in March that Bush is "probably" the worst president in American history, saying, "We've gone from this tremendous power that was respected all over the world to somewhat of a laughing stock."

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Full story

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Bush
  1. Fairfax, VA

More Trump pandering. I wish this "man" would shut up – although a wealthy man and an astute Real Estate investor, his forays into anything other than his main area of "expertise" have gone belly up – most recently Trump Mortgage. Good eye on the economy Donald – perhaps he should stick to what he is best at – self promotion. I'm no Bush fan, but shut up already Donald – "We're tired!" ... of you.

September 24, 2007 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. Ayr, Indianapolis, IN

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. And w/ Greenspan's admission we have to take over the country oil, just confirms what I already knew. We went to war for oil, not threats. We have all this technology, but somehow can find Bin Laden. Yea right. Colin told them there were no exists. Everyone is jumping ship from the administration, or being kicked out. Bush will be hiding in Guatamala. Where he can't be prosecuted for war crimes. Not to mention the Saudis OWN the U.S basically. And Sr. Bush sits on an oil bord with Bin Laden's dad. Please.

September 24, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Kyle Saint Louis MO

Donald i really wish you would embarass yourself and run for president you liberal joke!!

September 24, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Tina, Nashville, TN

Pigs must be flying, because I agree with Trump. I bet even Rosie O'Donnell would agree.

September 24, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. MCLAIN.MTN. VIEW CA

THIS SIA PHSYCHIC LADY COMMENT;
    THIS YEAR IS A BOAR YEAR 2007- 1947 ALOS A BOAR YEAR WHICH IS HILLARY CLINTON WAS BORN; CLASSIC EXAMPLE BOAR YEAR BORN;SAME ZODIAC SIGN BUT FDIFFERENT BIRTHYEAR; RONALS REAGAN/ARNOLD SCHEWARZNNGER ANDHILARY CLINTON THREE OF THEM HAS A LEADERSHIP QUALITIES.
    THIS EYAR IS HILLARYS YEAR AND NEXT YEAR IS ALSO HER YEAR WHICH IS A RAY YEAR.SHELSEA WILL BRING GOOD LUCK TO HER LIFE.HER POLITICS.//NEXT YEAR IS SHELSEA GOOD LUCK YEAR(MONKEY YEAR 2008(RAT YEAR AND MONKEY EYAR)COMPATIBILTY.
    GUILIANE WIFE IS A HORSE EYAR- BRING BAD LUCK TO GUILAINE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN.BEFORE I PREDICT BILL CLINTON WIN TWICE; IS HIS GOOD LUCK YEAR AS WELL, LOOK AT WHAT HAPPEN GOOD AMERICA/LOTS OF JOB. PEACE ON EARTH.
    AMERICA WAKE UP IF I WERE YOU NO MORE REPUBLICAN.

September 24, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. Matt, Colorado

Well, sadly, everyone is missing the point, it doesn't matter, Dem. or Rep. they are all crooks. They all start foreign wars without approval from Congress, destroy our economy through inflation and war spending, and all of them are going to push for the North American Union to destroy our sovereignty and our nations currency.
    Forget what party they are in, we need Congress to step up and stop all of these madmen from destroying this nation.

September 24, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. Lars, Duluth, GA

Donald Trump defining 'laughing stocks'? Well, he ought to know.

September 24, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. EUNICE, MARYLAND, U.S.A.

Sorry Donald,
    Am sure you did not expect to receive all this criticism from the public.

You need to know this. America will listen to their President before they can listen to you. You can tell from all the comments that nobody cares about what you say. You can only speak for yourself and not for any other American. Republicans love Bush and I do.

September 24, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Paul Sutherland, Jackson, Tennessee

I always thought Trump was an idiot, but he opened his mouth and now there is no doubt. He should stay in his high rise office and spin his little financial webs and leave politics to someone else.

September 24, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. Bob W. Colchester, CT

Trump is a political idiot.

September 24, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. John Kaleto, San Diego, CA

Just goes to show you how living in NYC distorts one's perception of the rest of the world.
    Under Clinton, the U.S. was NOT "respected all over the world", as our enemies could attest.

September 24, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Bob from the USA

Hey REX from ALBEMARLE, NC, so you think that Civil Rights and The Constitution only relate to you and people who think like you? Don't you believe that ALL citizens of this country have a right to voice their opinion no matter how rich or how famous they are?

September 24, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Dave Dyson. Naples, FL

Like it or not. He's right!

September 24, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. D-Force Gainesville, Florida.

I agree with Trump all the way. It is not about Party Lines, it is about our integrity which has been shot to hell in a hand basket.

September 24, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Jamie A. Summit, NJ

Trump is 100% correct!
    BUSH IS THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE U.S.
    His best comment was about Condi Rice: "she is the only person to go into a meeting(negotiating in the mid-east) and come out with 0 results 100% of the time. Great job DONALD!!!

September 24, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. Heidi, Chicago IL

Donald Trump's opinion is news worthy because he happens to be very good friends, very rich, and probably a campaign contributor to Rudy Giuliani. Whether you like him or not, he has a large fan base and by reporting his opinion, he can definitely sway public opinion and therefore the vote. Besides the Donald isn't saying anything that ALL political analysts haven't been saying for months. It makes no difference whether you are a Bush supporter or not, it all comes down to numbers and Bush's popularity is in the toilet. My only hope is that Bush's replacement is a candidate that has military experience. I really do believe that to get us out of this mess in the safest way possible, the new president needs to have experience in this area. We need our men to come home safely and I hope conditions improve in Iraq... no one should have to live like that.

September 24, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. Uwe Warkholdt, Elliot Lake, Northern Ontario, Canada

As a Canadian Citizen and resident, I watch the US news quite often.

I think Mr. Trump's statements were too harsh but I feel there is some truth to it. Before Mr. Bush became president, the economy in the US was very strong. I don't believe it is the same now. I fully understand that that after 9/11, he had to "kick butt" in Aphganistan. No one can disagree with that. But Iraq could have waited. The costs of that war should have been used to get Bin Laden. I am sure the costs would have been less and probably less problems in Iraq.

Companies that moved their operations out of your country and US Citizens lost their jobs, that can't be right.
    Something should have been done about that.

However, I think after the next election, the US will become much stronger especially economically. I wish you the best.

September 24, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. bb, heartof, tx

I don't care for "the Donald", but I'm sick of this administration. Has anyone else noticed that Iraq and Terrorists are the only thing Bush seems to be intersted in (with the exception of Libby...he found time for that)? I want someone who's more interested in what's going on at home. I SAY FORGET IRAQ, WE HAVE OUR OWN PROBLEMS, BRING OUR BOYS HOME NOW, TODAY!!!!!!

September 24, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. f.byron ,willoughby ohio

mr.trump is correct.bush has turned into a joke.as commander in chief of the greatest military power in the world he cannot defeat a little two bit country, then he is pathetic.

September 24, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. B. Glass, Reno, Nevada

Finally, Donald Trump and I agree on something.

But please, Mr. Trump, no more 'reality' tv shows!

September 24, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Smith, Rock Hill, SC

George will go into hiding and will count the money that he and Dick made during the last 8 years.
    He'll go to China and Saudi-Arabia to count the millions and millions he made so far.
    Then he'll hug OBL and say "thank you". because 9/11 was the best that happened to George

September 24, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Pete, Columbus, Ohio

Folks,

Please keep it to the issues and not Blue versus Red. I suggest that folks like "David Boston,MA" who said "I new Donald was a wise man . . . . Why is it that the Blue states have a higher population and generally a higher average IQ?" use a spell-checker in the future . . . . I have my own quote - "People in glass houses should not cast stones."

As to Mr. Trump, I respect the man, but he is sometimes blinded by his own genius. As a fence rider, my call is that the Democrats will have real problems if Hillary is nominated.

There are too many folks who were around during her husband's tenure who are very aware of the spin-machine that Bill had and that she will have - which is already working at blinding speed slicing and dicing her opponents.

This election should not be treated like a football game or a democrat versus republican battle. We have serious issues at stake. Unfortunately, neither the Democrats or Republicans running for office are interested in leading . . . they are solely interested in the title. I challenge each of you to start pressuring the nominees in both parties to focus on the important issues and figuring them out without blowing the national budget.

September 24, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Jim , Milwaukee, WI

GO DONALD!!!
    those of you who want Donald to run and hide, you must be Bush supporters.

September 24, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. C Me Now, Atl, GA

The way I look at it is this. Donald is one of the foremost businessmen in America. He has made millions off of the good decisions he has made. I think he is right on the money here. And if it is his goal to run for president in the next 8 years, then all the better. I believe he would make a wonderful president. If he can manage a business worth millions and thousands of employees and make it profitable, I believe he could handle the US, and make it very 'profitable'.

September 24, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. STEVE DAVIS, HARRISON, NY

EVERY AMERICAN AGREES WITH THE DONALD.HE'S RIGHT, BUSH IS THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY. PERIOD. JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE DON YOU KNOW HE'S CORRECT.

September 24, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |