September 25th, 2007

The Donald: Time for Bush to go into 'hiding'

Watch Trump sound off on politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Donald Trump has some advice for President Bush if he wants a Republican to win the White House: Hide.

The business mogul and vocal critic of the Bush administration told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Monday that he thinks the president is a "huge liability" for any Republican seeking the White House. Trump went on to say the best thing Bush can do for his party is to go into "hiding."

"I think President Bush has to go into a corner and hide if a Republican is going to get elected," he said. "There is no way he is an asset. He is a huge liability, and he is going to have to do a big, big hiding act if a Republican is going to win."

Once a Republican nominee is determined, Trump added, Bush "should just go into a corner and say 'Okay, that's it. I am finished. It's over.'"

Trump also reiterated his comments to CNN in March that Bush is "probably" the worst president in American history, saying, "We've gone from this tremendous power that was respected all over the world to somewhat of a laughing stock."

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Full story

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Bush
  1. Trollmaster, CA

Are all you Bush followers upset and embarassed because Trump is speaking the truth?

Bush, his failed policies, and needless war is a 10 ton anchor attached to whoever wins the Repubilcan primaries. Democrats are hungry to win the white house, and there are a ton of Americans fed up with Repubilcans. You people need to get used to it. Your kind are going to be out of power for a long long time.

September 24, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. Gary, Detroit, Mich.

To MPG San Francisco:

Bravo and well put! There is nothing more distasteful in the American media and American politics right now right now than the "World According to Rupert Murdoch" and the bible thumping Christian Family Values Phonies. I'm no fan of Trump but he's a lot smarter than that doofus in the oval office.

September 24, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Jack T, Oceanside, CA

I will admit that I would not would have wanted to be Bush the day 9/11 occurred, but I do not support him at all. Since 9/11, I have been frustrated with how Bush has become focused on becoming more of the world's police force instead of focusing on the american people and the hundreds of thousands of americans without health insurance.

As we know, all US Citizens have the right to freedom of speech as demonstrated by the "bill of rights". So, Donnie has the right to speak. But so do I. Who in the world cares what that pompous windbag has to say? What? Because he has money? Well, so do I. I just don't have as much money as he does.

September 24, 2007 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  4. C Murphy Seattle WA

We can only hope another Republican is elected president. Let them clean up the mess they started. As the country continues to mire down in the Middle East and we seem poised on the brink of a major recession, it's time for the Republicans to cowboy up. Meanwhile, the Democrats prepare to toss victory directly into the jaws of defeat by running their least electible candidate.
    So we'll elect a Republican for the last time in my lifetime. Shades of Herbert Hoover and FDR all over again.

September 24, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. Ken Elk Grove, California

The whole republican party should go into hiding for letting this so called administration run this country into the ground. From a surplus to over 8.9 trillion(and counting) in debt. How do we get out of this quagmire Bush browebeat congress and the american people into. I'd love to hear for the 2000th time how Saddam had to go, but what I really want to hear is how we extricate ourselves out of this mess Bush,Cheney and Rove got us into. This LAME duck president should go find a nice cave somwhere and hide. I hear Tora Bora is a good place to hide.

September 24, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  6. Leslie - Los Angeles, CA

Mr. Trump came across sounding like a bully on a playground! His advice would be the last I would ever consider I think he says outrageous and ridiculous things to promote HIMSELF, and no one else. He just wants to keep himself in the news. Not interested!

September 24, 2007 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  7. Joan, Cincinnati, Ohio

While I am not a fan of Donald Trump, he is correct in his perspective. Unfortunately, the only person who can't see this, is President George W. Bush himself. While Bush will go down in history as being the worst president ever to hold office, he will never allow himself to "see" the truth of this. Bush is either incapable or unwilling to see the truth regarding his presidency and the damage he has caused the United States. It will take decades to undo the damage he has inflicted upon this country. Even his fellow Republicans admit this in private.

September 24, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Vi Rothermel

Kudos to Donald Trump for his advice to Bush to hide; the sooner the better. He's certainly not helping anyone, including the Republican party.

September 24, 2007 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. Sam, Corona, CA

Bush, due to his unstrategic not-well-thought-of actions, has definitely diminished America's standing in the world. I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican, but I do think all of the Democrat candidates and most of the Republican candidates (except Guliani) would be far better than Bush.

September 24, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  10. Armando, Cleveland Ohio

Donald,
    Are you kidding me. The reasons we lost so much power and respect is because of people like you. There is war going on, is about freedom. The Presdent has done a pretty good job. In contrast, you have done more to diminish it more than anybody else. Go to Eastern Europe and go get another wife. That is a great corner for you to hode.

September 24, 2007 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Colin, Toronto, Canada

To Blame Bush for all these problems would be too easy. Bush is simply a representation of the selfishness of america.If you want things to change – you have to do something other than blame one person..You think a great president is going to change your obsession with oil? Yeah right!

September 24, 2007 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  12. Mike, Milwaukee, WI

Posted By Vi Rothermel : September 24, 2007 6:39 pm
    ------------–

I would have to disagree! Bush helps the Democrats tremendously. Dems raise money and get new voters from the mention of Bush's name.

September 24, 2007 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  13. saechao

hahahaha, you all Republicans out there are going nuts, Why? cause you guys just can't handle the truth, especially coming from a guy like Donald.

September 24, 2007 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  14. Jerry, Salem, OR

While it seems to be fashionable to hammer on anyone who is highly successful in business, I spent some time reading and paying attention to Donald Trump over the years. He is very pragmatic and, right or wrong, he tells people what he thinks with brutal truth. No matter what your opinion, he deserves credit for that. The man knows the difference between an asset and a liability for certain.

September 24, 2007 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  15. Jeff, Brunswick Georgia

"We've gone from this tremendous power that was respected all over the world to somewhat of a laughing stock." – Is he kidding. We were attacked several times under Clinton and the 9/11 attack was planned under Clinton's presidency. The U.S. was a joke of a country under Bubba AND there have been no more attacks since 9/11. That said I agree with the go into hiding part.

September 24, 2007 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. JC Kansas

The world must be coming to an end. I actually agree with Trump.

September 24, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  17. Flag-waving daughter of a WWII Purple Heart/Silver Star Veteran, Sparks, Nevada

re:
    perhaps you have forgotten- but you are only a real estate man! I do not think you have the right to critize the president of the United States.
    Mind you place! Posted By Anonymous : September 24, 2007 5:01 pm

__
    It is obvious YOU have forgotten that the Constitution of the United States - that wonderful, unique document for our country - ensures the right of everyone in the USA to freedom of speech. And it is the [place] duty of citizens of the USA to pay attention to the actions of federally elected and appointed officials and SPEAK THEIR MIND when the best interests of our country are de-railed. THAT is the true place of ALL American citizens, no matter their income level or type of employment.

That's what a true democracy is all about.

September 24, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  18. Dave Kentucky

Two parties. Always two opinions. It will never change. I propose we get two kindergarten students from each state, put them in a room with a list of issues and let them resolve our problems. I guarantee that we would get overwhelming agreement and probably even a plan on how to implement.

September 24, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. Janus, IL

Frankly I’m really tired of reading (my fault) what people like Mr. Trump, Mr. Penn, or other ‘celebrities’ think about the President or the politics. It seems to me that they have the same rights as the rest of us: vote in / vote out.

What bugs me the most is a presumption that the rest of us need to know what the Hollywood people think. After all, these are the people who are making living pretending to be someone else (the only other reports where their names appear in mess-media are associated with DUI’s, OD’s, jail, driving accidents, divorces, and ‘got you’ pictures)… Why not run for the office and make the f-- change? Given, not all of them would be as successful as the ‘Man of the Year’. Oops, it was a movie…

September 24, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  20. laurinda,ny

Donald Trump was on Wolf Blitzer tonight, until something went wrong with the tape, and he is pretty much on the money about the candidates. He was enjoyable to watch, for once, and I agree with him.

September 24, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  21. Wvatex, Pollok, TX

I can't believe that people like The Donald are given a forum to make unintellegent and uninformed statements. I don't agree with Bush on a lot of things but I do not believe that we are a laughing stock. Sounds like the Donald has been listening to his friend Mamouhd from Iran.

September 24, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  22. Rick from CA

Is trump trying to reaffirm his own thought that he's a "legend in his own mind". Does he really think his advice is taken seriously? Let's see, in the last year he's given advice to Martha Stewart, Miss America, Rosie, everyone on "You're Fired" show, and now the President. Maybe he should take some advice from his ex-wifes and hairdresser ....... lol

September 24, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  23. Alex Rochester, NH

GO DONALD!

September 24, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  24. James, phoenix az

Why do we listen to Donald Trump?

His show is bombing and now he has views on politics. He seems to want to get any air time he can. Sure bashing Bush seems to be popular but the Trump opinion is worthless. Trump you have a point about the misuse of the war spending but really.

Trump make a better reality show and I will listen to you about politics.

Otherwise shut your pie hole...

September 24, 2007 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  25. Andy, New York, New Yor

To the Administrator: You guys are this biased and insecure that you'd remove a post that I did supportive of Bush? I scrolled through your posted items and cannot find the post I made. It was not libelous or disrespectful. It reflected an opinion, but I guess it was too intelligent for this forum, so you guys deleted it! Way to go, liberals!

September 24, 2007 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |