November 13th, 2007

Student given question to ask Clinton: I wasn't only one

Watch Student Muriel Gallo-Chasanoff's interview with CNN.

GRINNELL, Iowa (CNN) - The college student who says she was told what question to ask at one of Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign events told CNN Monday that she wasn't the only one at the event who was a plant and said "voters have the right to know what really happened."

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Muriel Gallo-Chasanoff, a 19-year-old sophomore at Grinnell College in Iowa - whose story in her campus newspaper has now been widely circulated - said that giving anyone specific questions to ask is "dishonest," and the whole incident has given her a negative outlook on politics.

Gallo-Chasanoff, an undecided voter, said what happened was really pretty simple: she says a senior Clinton staffer asked if she'd like to ask the senator a question after an energy speech she gave in Newton, Iowa, on November 6. (Watch Gallo-Chasanoff ask Clinton the question)

"I sort of thought about it, and I said 'Yeah, can I ask how her energy plan compares to the other candidates' energy plans?'" Gallo-Chasanoff said.

"'I don't think that's a good idea," the staffer said, according to Gallo-Chasanoff, "because I don't know how familiar she is with their plans."

He then opened a binder to a page that, according to Gallo-Chasanoff, had about eight questions on it.

"The top one was planned specifically for a college student," she added. " It said 'college student' in brackets and then the question."

Full story

-CNN's Chris Welch and David Schechter

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa • Race to '08
  1. Thomas, St. Petersburg, FL

This is most likely another "VAST RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY".

After all, the Clintons NEVER LIE...

November 13, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. TJ

How many reporters do you think were coached on which questions were appropriate and which ones are not for Hillary? And more often than not, reporters wanting to get in the good graces of the "next president of the United States" are all too happy to comply.

November 13, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  3. Tracy, NY , NY

Hillary has done this before! She is nothing more then a liar.

November 13, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Greg F, San Diego, CA

First off, WRITING IN CAPS is "shouting". Stop it. Second, this is no worse than the prepared scripts used in TV "hardball" interviews. In fact, with the script writers being on strike, maybe there'll be more honest talk on the air?

November 13, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. Tony, Tulsa, OK

This is funny. Half the Hillary haters are certain she's a socialist. The other half are mad at her for being too hawkish and right-wing on some issues. That's the best evidence yet for me that she'll win the general election.

November 13, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. soul2020

If she didn't want to ask it, then she shouldn't have asked it. Ridiculous.

November 13, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  7. Dan Cleveland, OH

That's what you get with the Clintons...rememmber?

November 13, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. Rich, Wappingers Falls, NY

For someone who supposedly very smart, organized and in control who claims to be "uniquely qualified" to run the country because she's run things in the White House already, she really has absolutely no idea what is going on around her. She nevers seems to know where any of her money is coming from, where any of her questions are coming from. How can she control the country when she can't even cotrol her staff?

November 13, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. ScottyB

This is just another example of the dishonesty and phoniness of the Clintons. How many examples will it take before people accept that this is true, and that the Clintons have always been about power, and nothing else.

November 13, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. Tom, Sacramento, Ca

Give the Clintons a break. Hillary is having enough problems reciting her rehearsed answers.

November 13, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Sankar, Schaumburg IL

It is tragic that the democrats ae going to destroy themselves before the election by choosing Hillary or Barrack as their candidate. Worthy candidates who will make good presidents, especially compared to the current one(who does not). BUT will face a prejudiced campaign, racial,gender and personality that will result a lot of folks voting against them.
    It will not be surprising if we do not have one of the stereotype candidates from the Republican side for the president.
    Kind of like '04.

November 13, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  12. Vince Foster, Arlington, VA

" Nevertheless, I don't like this strategy and we've seen it countless times before with the current administration. I wonder if Clinton staffers go as far as barring any obvious republicans from her Q&A sessions, like Bush staffers bar non-supporters from his public appearances?"

AMAZING! You manage to cast aspersions on Bush while pretending to be upset with yet another Klintoonian LIE!

ABH! (Anyone But hiLIARy) '08

November 13, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. Danny Casolaro Martinsburg, WV

Well, that settles it.
    With this knowledge, from now on, I have switched from Coca Cola to Pepsi.
    For good.
    I also now refuse to use Gilette triple blade razors.
    I now will only use Schick triple blade razors.
    With this knowledge, I will now never ever use a Kleenex again.
    I will switch to Puffs.
    With my new-found intelligence, I will never again drink Minute Maid brand orange juice.
    I have now switched to Tropicana.

If one cannot satisfy me, I will choose the other.
    Even if there is absolutely no discernable difference between the two.
    I do this because I am an intelligent American.
    As an intelligent American, I can recognize that there is a specific class of politicians that tell the truth all the time, while the other class of politician does not.
    One class is the "Good Guys" and the other is the "Bad Guys".
    My life will be dramatically altered for the better is I choose the "Good Guys".
    By voting for them, all of a sudden-my country will be a better place to live, but more importantly, I and my family will prosper like never before.
    By voting for the "Good Guys", war will end forever and I will always always have a good job and lots of money and can buy all the Coca Cola I want.
    Or wait-didn't I say I had switched to Pepsi?

What is the difference?

Let he who has ears, hear.

November 13, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  14. Robert, Fort Myers

I'm done with this! It is just one sneaky thing after the next. Planted campaign donations and planted fake questions. You're telling me you don't know anything about these things..come on!!! I just can't do it anymore. Enough! I feel betrayed. I quit. You ruined this Hillary Clinton. Those flags falling down around you were a sign.

November 13, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  15. Preston, Washington, DC

I don't see why people keep questioning why this girl would have asked the question if she was so offended by the planting? Are you kidding!? She has an opportunity to stand up and be on camera in front of a presidential hopeful and ask a question, and you are saying she should simply object? Hindsight may be 20-20, but I'm telling you that at that moment that didn't seem like such a big hurdle. Any of us would do the same, and most of us would probably feel the same afterwards. In addition, while most of you are right that planting goes on at all levels of politics, her disingenuous nature is more than evident.

November 13, 2007 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. TJ tulsa,ok

Is anyone really shocked come on...Im not shocked at all...

November 13, 2007 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  17. Karen, Benicia, CA

Goes to show – the Clintons run a dictatorship. Wake up America – what do you really know about Hillary. Do you know what she REALLY thinks about our concerns? She does not want us to know – very scary!

November 13, 2007 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  18. Wes, Plano TX

Though this may not be the scandal of the year, and not even close to the worst thing the Clinton people have ever done, and though it may not affect national polls...

It will get a lot of attention in Iowa and will cause her to lose. Iowans and Granite Staters love playing the spoiler, bringing down presumptious, careles, frontrunners.

Clinton just had her Howard Dean moment a little early.

November 13, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  19. Andrea, Spearfish SD

what i'd like to know is why is this young college student making such a big deal out of it? could it be perhaps because she is in need of attention? it just floors me that a young woman, who has the opportunity to be involved with her first presidential election, chooses to conduct herself in such a manor. the article with her schools newspaper i understand, but granting an exclusive interview with a national media outlet is just crazy. say your peice and move on. i particularly love how she says voters have the right to know what really happened. oh please, she is a 19 year old drama queen looking for the spotlight, and we've given it to her. how sad.

November 13, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. Steve, Salt Lake City, Utah

Does any of this really surprise anybody? People act like it's something new. Every political candidate for centuries has been doing this.

Just once I would like to see in my lifetime an honest, truthful, sincere politic candidate run for office. I don't care what political party the candidate belongs to or if the person is even running has an independent political candidate.

Remember folks, the last true Democracy was in Ancient Greece centuries ago. People keep forgetting our form of government is a Republic, not a Democracy as it was in Ancient Greece.

November 13, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  21. Hiding in the hills

Congrats to Muriel Gallo-Chasanoff to standing up against the Clinton regime. I personally would go into hiding though. People who get in the way of the Clinton clan generally end up in a body bag.

November 13, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  22. Michael

Hillary doesn't really answer questions anyway, so what difference does it make if she has some planted.

November 13, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  23. Laura, Baltimore MD

Wow! The Clinton campaign even had a list of prepared questions already written out and in a binder. It wasn't even that the staffer thought of a favorable question on his or her own. This really is Bushlike.

November 13, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. SteveC., Ashburn, VA

Doesn't anyone remember the David Letterman show?!? Where Hillary had the questions provided ahead of time? And THEN she had the audacity to pretend to think about the answers. And...I might add that she got them all right...Go figure. She might s well continue her "Listening Tour" cause she can't answer a single question.

November 13, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  25. Johnny5, New York, NY

Okay, there were some planted questions. One can't assume that all of the questions were planted (only 6 or so were listed on the page the girl was shown). So what does that tell you? Her staff was making sure that certain questions were asked during the event. Does that make it right? Not really but it could be worse. I mean, the questions weren't even softball questions. These were the kind of questions you would never here asked of George W. Bush. During Bush's speeches and campaign events, they wouldn't let you even listen from afar if you weren't a supporter. This isn't the most honest campaign activity but certainly not the most dishonest either. We've seen the worst of these practices from our current president already. What Hillary's campaign did isn't nearly as offensive. A little stupid but not too offensive. Unless of course you're a frustrated conservative who hasn't a candidate with nearly a realisitic shot at getting into the White House.

November 13, 2007 10:01 am at 10:01 am |