November 26th, 2007

Huckabee talks Jesus, not politics

Watch part of Mike Huckabee's sermon at Gateway Baptist Church in Irmo, South Carolina.

FOUNTAIN INN, South Carolina (CNN) - Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee stepped into a familiar role on Sunday morning: that of Baptist minister.

Huckabee, who was a minister before he served two and a half terms as governor as Arkansas, took to the stage for about half an hour at two Baptist churches in South Carolina and told the congregations: "I am here today to talk about Jesus and not to talk about me."

"I always try to remind people that there is a place for politics, but when I come to church, it's to worship," he said at Gateway Baptist Church in Irmo, where he was mistakenly introduced as "Governor Hucklebee."

In Irmo and at First Baptist Church in Fountain Inn, Huckabee weaved jokes and anecdotes from his life in Arkansas into his sermons while also demonstrating a deep familiarity with the New Testament, quoting passages from memory.

"God is still looking for good soldiers, good soldiers for Christ," he told the congregation in Irmo. "Every single person here is a soldier that God needs in his army. He is just waiting on us to say here am I, send me."

Huckabee said he has been confronted by people unsure about his transition from faith to politics.

"If you've been a pastor as I have and then you run for office, there are some people who are incredibly uncomfortable with all of that," he said, but joked that they were "undecided voters."

In his second sermon of the morning, Huckabee urged the audience into avoid arrogance and selfishness.

"Any time we ever look down on somebody for whatever reason, that's the sin," he said. "What we look down on them for is not nearly as sinful a behavior as our act of looking down, somehow thinking that our standard of behavior was superior to theirs and not understanding that neither our nor their standard of behavior matches up to His, because His is the only behavior that ever really hit it right on the mark.

"The only good thing about any of us is the God in us, not the us," Huckabee said.

After the later service ended in Fountain Inn, Huckabee and his wife Janet lingered for an hour shaking hands with dozens of church-goers who had lined up to meet them, many of whom told CNN they were already supporting Huckabee's presidential bid.

- CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Faith • Mike Huckabee • South Carolina
  1. Greg Houston Tx

You can bet a privileged little turd like Romney has more than a few youthful indiscretions and considers this a dangerous precedent.

November 25, 2007 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  2. Christian, Tampa FL

I like what he had to say in the second sermon. As a Christian, I get frustrated with the "holier-than-thou" types in my religion who are just as flawed as everyone else.

November 25, 2007 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. Andrew, NJ

this guy needs to be kept as far away from the white house as possible. We don't need a religious nutjob like him preaching from the white house

November 25, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. Charles, NY

Jesus and not politics? Does anybody seriously think this isn't a political ploy?

November 25, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. MS Johnson City, TN

"God is still looking for good soldiers,...."

So is Pentagon!

Does God offer any sign-up bonuses?

November 25, 2007 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  6. Brooklyn, NY

"as governor as Arkansas"???

November 25, 2007 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  7. Steve, Rumford Rhode Island

Peter, it's so unbearably evident your biased against anyone advocating the existence of God and his place in politics. Your presupposing that Jesus has no place in politics. Does he have any place in Politics? Well, first we need to define what needs to be accomplished in politics and government for the well-being of everyone in this country. I'm pretty confident that once that is done, Mr Huckabee doesn't look so bad. In fact, his record should not be overlooked, which you seem to easily do. Ok, he was a Pastor, so what? And your not? Next?

November 25, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. Dan, TX

I think Hucakbee is a good guy. I would vote for Huckabee over Clinton. But I'd prefer Obama.

November 25, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  9. Z, St. Louis, MO

That makes me want to projectile
    vomit. He can belive all the fairy
    tales he wants.But I sure dont want my
    president, with access to nuclear
    weapons, to think some magical ghost in the sky will rescue him if things go wrong as long as he annhialate the
    "bad guys".It's going to take years to recover from the current regime that
    takes council from a fairy story
    charcter.

November 25, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. David - Portland, Oregon

When Bill (blue dress) Clinton or any other liberal candidate gives a Sunday morning church sermon it is considered a show of their faith. When Mike Huckabee converses within a church on Sunday morning it is considered a violation between church and state to non-believers. Your double standards are showing….

November 25, 2007 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  11. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

God verses Einstein

"Your such a little Einstein!"

The intelligent reply is: "please stop calling me names."

"Oh my..."

Please do not take names in vain, and do not possess people, as you'll force them to require an exorism.

Who created and now uses the word 'goddess' when deity universally suffices.

God is an earthly created, and named deity; God possibly existed as an individual, yet, no one named Goddess ever did? Why allow such confusion?

People were once assumed to be God-like, then people were seen as Christ-like(so canonized); if Buddha and many other intelligent sols have passed into our past and have had their names locked into legend, then: maybe we should stop worshipping cast and graven idols found hung on a cross, and start accepting a universal truth of and all-and-in-everyone-possible humanitarian state.

'Thank times passage:' that no one can carve an true idol of God, for no one knows what HE might have looked like; even thou Michelangelo did try.

November 25, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  12. Daniel, NY

Huckabee is now ranked THIRD in these just updated detailed rankings and analysis of where the Republican presidential race stands today - a great showing for the former AK governor, though he still remains clearly behind Romney and Giuliani.

November 25, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  13. Newt G. Chicago, ILL

Pretty good comments from Mike Huckabee. I like his comments a lot. I think he would make a great minister. He should consider running for Minister. I hear the Baptist pay their Ministers well.

November 25, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  14. Brian, Somerset, NJ

So Huckabee used to be a salesman for a book that advocated genocide, slavery and oppression of women, and he still very much believes in the book. That's not a plus in my book.

November 25, 2007 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  15. Chas, Marysville, WA

Does God offer any sign-up bonuses?

Go to the Book He authored...Better bonuses cannot be found.
    JFK and others have had very strong religious views which equiped them for the task of leading this country.

November 25, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  16. Mir

I hope oneday the great citizens of the USA will not select anyone on the religious belief or love of army and war. What we are ordering the rest of the world to do should be done by us first. Why does Christ need an Army of God? Christ does not want to bomb anyone neither God. The gap of these relegious belief could be a past by now if US wanted.

November 25, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  17. Jim Hamilton Fort Wayne Indiana

Have we previously had Presidents with the credentials of being a minister or were raised in the home of a minister. Yes we have - James Garfield and Woodrow Wilson. So what is wrong with a President today being a minister of the faith? Better than a drug user (Obama), forgetful of the facts when most needed (Clinton), wafflers on issues (Guiliani and Romney also Clinton). On the whole I would rather befriend a Christian than someone with no foundation of principles.

November 25, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  18. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Gee whiz people! if this guy needs to pander to Christians, let him. I don't see anyone complaining when Barack goes to a Baptist church in Harlem, or Hillary goes to a Chinese restaurant.

November 25, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Christian, Richmond, VA

"'God is still looking for good soldiers,….'

So is Pentagon!

Does God offer any sign-up bonuses?"

Yes, it's called eternal life. Stop taking things out of context.

November 25, 2007 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  20. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

"God is still looking for good soldiers"

Here we go again.....

November 25, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  21. Chad Rock Hill, SC

Huckabee seems to be more in line with what I'm looking for as a candidate. I could care less about him being a preacher or whatever ... I want someone that I would feel comfortable raising my kids ... which is an extremely high standard for me.

As all the candidates are passing through SC I will try to at least attend one Huckabee speech and hope I find the candidate that meets my standards as closely as possible.

November 25, 2007 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. Raleigh NC

The article states he was mistakenly referred to as "Governor". Actually, since he was Governor of Ark., I believe this is correct. Officials are generally referred to by the highest title previously achieved.

November 25, 2007 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  23. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

Huckabee's a ho.

November 25, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  24. Chris, Pensacola FL

That's great and all you accept Jesus. I think everyone should. However, it needs to be made clear you DO NOT follow his ways by WAR and professing in your campaign that you will ATTACK another country. Self defense is what it is. Going across the world and hurting others for a possible lie isn't what we need. If the Lord accepts you, teach in the Churches, but let another run the affairs of the country.

November 25, 2007 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  25. jan, Marysville, WA

Huckabee talks about Jesus, not politics...

It was Sunday, he was preaching a sermon at church...should he be talking politics?
    Demonstrates he is capeable of leaving the secular out of the pulpit. His record demonstrates his ability of keeping the pulpit out of politics.

Good report, CNN.