December 3rd, 2007

Obama camp launches Web site to document Clinton attacks

Obama's campaign has launched a new Web site designed to track and respond to attacks by Clinton’s campaign

WASHINGTON (CNN) - After a tense weekend that saw a marked escalation in an already brutal war of words between the two Democratic frontrunners, Barack Obama’s campaign launched a new salvo Monday with a Web site designed to track and respond to attacks by Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

“We're asking all of you to be vigilant and notify us immediately of any attacks from Sen. Clinton or her supporters as soon as you see them so that we can respond with the truth swiftly and forcefully,” campaign spokesman Bill Burton wrote supporters. “[These] attacks could be phone calls, literature drops, blog posts, mail pieces as well as radio and TV ads. Some could even be anonymous or designed to be.”

The New York senator’s campaign has been ramping up its assault on Obama’s record over the past few weeks, but stepped up attacks this weekend after new polls seemed to show the Illinois senator had dramatically narrowed his deficit in New Hampshire, and even grabbed the lead in Iowa in a survey released Saturday. Just a few months ago, Obama trailed Clinton by double-digit margins in both states.

“Less than twelve hours after that poll came out, the Clinton campaign launched a series of baseless attacks against Senator Obama,” wrote Burton, referring to a Clinton campaign release that accused the Illinois senator of hiding early presidential ambitions. “Panicked by the poll numbers, they even attacked Barack for telling his kindergarten teacher what he wanted to be when he grew up. I wish I were joking.”

Responding to the new Web site, Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said, "It's rather disingenuous of Sen. Obama to complain about questions being raised about his record - which remains unknown to voters - considering that he has spent the last three months impugning Sen. Clinton’s character. When it comes to changing our politics, Sen. Obama talks a good game but clearly lacks the courage of his convictions."

On Sunday, Clinton aide Howard Wolfson also renewed criticism of Obama for allegedly mishandling political action committee donations, telling viewers of CBS’s Face the Nation that "there's a lot that voters don't know about Barack Obama." Later that day, Clinton directly assailed Obama’s veracity for the first time, telling reporters at a New Hampshire campaign stop that "you can't get a straight answer" from Obama on health care.

"I have said for months that I would much rather be attacking Republicans, and attacking the problems of our country, because ultimately that's what I want to do as president," said Clinton. "But I have been, for months, on the receiving end of rather consistent attacks. Well, now the fun part starts. We're into the last month, and we're going to start drawing the contrasts."

Wolfson also signaled that Clinton would be drawing sharper contrasts with her opponents after months of criticism from her primary rivals. "Sen. Obama is a fabulous orator, but we need more than words,” he told the Washington Post in a story published Monday. “We don't need someone who says one thing and does another, somebody who talks a good game but doesn't have the courage of their convictions.”

- CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Dan, TX

Obama has gone out of the way not to attack Clinton. For those of you who are now bald-faced lying and saying Obama has been attacking her, you are in such deep self-denial I feel sorry for you.

The philosophy that you have to be like the republicans to beat the republicans is one that I reject. Just as I reject Clinton.

You Clinton followers better get ready to either vote republican or support Barack Obama as your nominee. I thought Clinton was supposed to be tough and be a fighter? Is this all she's got. This is what her campaign leaked to Bob Novack and promised not to use? Add hypocrite to Clinton's resume. She didn't even follow Bill Clinton's advice. Bill Clinton was against the war from the beginning but she ignored his advice and voted for the war.

December 3, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. Randy S. Lawton, OK

It is interesting Obama has been on attack mode on Clinton for months. Now she started fighting back and he can't handle that. He actually goes and sets up a website….what a cry baby. Is this what president is suppose to be like. He is nothing but embarasment.

Posted By LILLY,NY,NY : December 3, 2007 2:50 pm

Must be nice to look at the world through Clinton-colored glasses. But LILLY, you've got it backwards. CLinton started the personal attacks with her 'naive' comments. Then 2 weeks later she said the same thing that she derided Obama for saying.
    I'd say it's more of a shame that he needs a website to keep up with all of Hillary's attacks, especially when they are totally unfounded and unsubstantiated.
    As for the crybaby part, it's been Bill and Hillary that have accused the others of piling on, ganging up, picking on her because she's a girl. If your 'girl' can't stand the heat, she needs to get out of the kitchen.
    Poor little Hillary, she's only interested in making history on a personal level, she doesn't give a fig about you, me or 300 million other American people.

December 3, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. Slick Willie

...you tell 'em Osama!!

December 3, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. Not a blind follower

I can not believe Obama is doing this. He has been engaging personal attacks and character assasination for so long and now he does not want others to say a word back. What a dictator!

December 3, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. Betsy,Ashcille,Ohio

Oh please. He's getting caoching from Karl Rove now and we are talking about who is dirty than who. Better just leave the whole gang alone on that one. They are all soiled Sorry guys!

December 3, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. Keith, Chicago

Let's take a look at what all the Clinton supporters have to say:

Obama is a waste of time. I am so sick about how the cry baby cries about everything. This is what people look up to in a leader? A whiner. Please……. Obama isn't going to win. A true democrat knows that.

Posted By Jimenez – Texas : December 3, 2007 10:44 am

I will not vote for Obama you Clinton critics say she is sneaky and untrustworthy you just wait and see if this man is the next president, this nation will be in worse shape than it is now with the GW regeime…

Posted By roger, conway sc : December 3, 2007 10:47 am

If anyone is desparate it is Obama and his staffers. He is minor league compared to Clinton. WE ALL KNOW IT! And, my God – Mr. Honesty/Obama – give us a break the dude is a loser. He should go back to his high school days…………….

Posted By Hillarylover in SA : December 3, 2007 10:58 am

Oh please, how could you get a straight answer from Obama when he doesnt have the slightest idea what he is talking about. As for his website with Hilarys attacks against him, well, whaaaaaa. I suppose he will start to accuse him of being racist next.

Posted By AJ; Montpelier, VT : December 3, 2007 10:59 am

For Gods sake be a man!!! This is a waste of your supporters hard earned cash. What a wimp!! Keep it up–you won't get anybodies vote.

Posted By Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL : December 3, 2007 11:23 am

I would say about 9 out of 10 posts on the CNN Ticker that are in support of Clinton and bashing Obama do not even have the slightest big of substance/facts/logic involved. All of these posts are pretty much along the lines of "vote for Hillary – she's great! Don't vote for Obama – he's a loser!"

I don't think that's going to convince many people to vote for Clinton...

December 3, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Leo, VA

Let me rephrase this because CNN has deleted my comment..

I've read the above part of Obama's campaign and was shocked by the use of the word 'VIGILANT', and the detailed instructions of how to 'notify' the Centre and identify 'attacks'. It sounds like 'there is a conspiracy around us and we have to be alert'. This is a bad move by Obama's campaign. Of course CNN didn't like that I also named examples when citizens were instilled in the past to become informants .. so I won't do this again. But I have to notice that the practice suggested by Obama's campaign poses danger to individual freedom.

December 3, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. aj huntington ny

Why waste time on being defensive ? This country needs leadership Senator O., not petty more infighting

December 3, 2007 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. Janice, Edmonton, Alberta

Now I've heard everything! If Obama's camp has the audacity to start a site like this, maybe he's in the wrong profession. All political camps look for weaknesses in oppponents. So I'm guessing that Obama's people will also be listing all of his mudslinging against Ms. Clinton on the same site? I mean fair is fair and he has been throwing it for a lot longer than she has.

The idea that she is only doing it because of weakened polls is ludicrous unless he and Edwards used the same excuse earlier in the campaign for resorting to the same tactics.

December 3, 2007 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. Hussein Osama, chicago, IL

The truth hurts Obama.

Based on the APA poll released today, more democrat voters in IA, NH & SC beleive in Hillary over Obama in handling issues (health care plan, Iraq war, immigration, job creation, etc.). In other words, these democrat voters beleive more over obama in her issues and abilities. She is also considered most electable as next president.

NoBama.

December 3, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Jim, Irmo, SC

"Fun"? Her own comments make her sound like a jerk. And she actually said that she wants to be "attacking Republicans" when she is president. Wow, that will really bring the country together, yep, that's some good thinking, there, Clinton. You are a divider.

December 3, 2007 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  12. Independent in IA

Well, now, I'm curious...did Osama Obama have anything to do with the "Jena 6" plea bargain?....my guess is....BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! The Race Card is EVERYTHING folks...let's for-crying-out-loud use it for everything it's NOT worth!!!

December 3, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Vang, St. Paul, MN

Is HRC in character voting for the War in Iraq? It is just funny how the HRC campus just devastated its own camp.

December 3, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  14. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

Hillary don't you realize that you are messing with the president of the Harvard Law Review. Your laughable low life Rove tactics will be turned on you every time.
    You are underscoring your old dirty politics rap. Old politics all the way.
    Obama is not only ahead of the curve
    he is defining it, and taking you people to school!

My dear you are out of your league!
    Obama clear sailing all the way!!!

December 3, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. Karsen Rumpf, Iowa City IA

There is more dirt on Hilary in one week then there is on Obama in all his life. It seems like every day I hear something Hilary did whether it be taking money from criminals, treating Americans like idiots at a national televised debate, support another corporate interest, and brag about her experience that she doesn't have. All that she has on Obama is that he said he wanted to be president in third grade. I don't remember anything I did in third grade. Oh, and I love how she wants to force me to buy health care and then penalize me if I can't afford it.

December 3, 2007 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  16. dave bannerton, Hamilton VA

dear democrats... if you wish to take control of the white house in 08 i suggest you promote someone like obama over hillary... I would never vote for her... and 50+ of the country I would seriously consider him...or biden....even dodd...

December 3, 2007 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  17. OBAMA 2008

Thank God I was starting to wonder if I was the only Obama supporter on here or not. It makes me smile when i see these comments about her because finally people are starting to catch on. I have been against her sense this all started and now people are starting too realize to and that makes me happy and i am hoping that in 2008 we wont get screwed over like we have with bush! i am hoping that by the time we go to vote that people will realize hey haillary is stupid! and thats exactly what she is!

December 3, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. Jessica M., El Paso, TX

Blog Post?????? For months, all the vile, cruel, awful things that have been posted about Clinton in the blogosphere have pretty much gone unchecked. I was astonished when I first started to read the kind of things that were being posted by Obama supporters. And now it seems like Obama wants to contain anything negative that is said about him, even on the internet. I find this uneasy and alarming. His naivety and lack of experience in politics is really showing through. If he can't even handle "attacks" (which are actually true) from Hillary Clinton, how is he going to handle it when the world is watching and scrutinizing his every move as president? This person is no leader!

December 3, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  19. jmaya, iowa

Barack Obama Hussein must stop to lie to people and attack Hillary. You are worse than LALU PRASAD YADABb of India who wins election EVERY TIME by money and gundas, Barack Hussein has been using PAC money to buy supporters and endorsement, shame on you Hussein Barack!
    Barack's HOPE OF CHANGE IS EMPTY talk just like him in shiny suit.

December 3, 2007 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  20. jmaya, iowa

Mr "Posted By Keith, Chicago : December 3, 2007 4:22 pm"
    I will never vote for Barack Hussein Obama:
    1)Hussein barack's voting record shows that he stands for nothing or he is more conservative than Hillary.
    2) He is desperate to be president of this county without any experience, and he even uses Karl Rove from back door as his adviser; one can tell how desperate he is.
    3) He hasn't comment anything about Bush administration in compared to Clinton administration which was one of the best time in American History for many reason.
    4) He things he is for poor and don't hesitate to use his upbringing to get African American voters but he never mention his mothers name or anything, seems he very shame for it.

5) His foreign experience is being in Jakarta when he was 10 yrs old: stupid explanation, i should run for president because i have more than that.

6) His health care plan is empty plan covers nobody except children which Hillary did long time back.

7) Obama didn't grew up in the USA, so this is not his true mother land:
    if he has so much proud of being in Indonesia he definitely have proud of being Madrasa School too; so wen don't know what is his intension are to get in the White House.

I want Hillary for many reason, mostly she has been tested, seen her worse part and good part and she is very passionate for the cause she has been working for.

I will never ever vote for Obama..Never!

December 3, 2007 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  21. Kelly, Indianapolis, IN

Hey Independent in IA, it's feel bad, not feel badly. Also, judging by your shameful twisting of Sen. Obama's name, you're the ignorant one.

Let's use this forum for intelligent political banter please.

December 4, 2007 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  22. localjim, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl

I'm voting Obama. Should Obama win the primaries like i hope he does then we will be a country having to choose between Obama as a democrat or either huckabee or Rudy for the republicans. At that time will we as democrats pull together? I think and hope so.
    And should by some chance Hillary win the nomination, well... that was what the breakfast with Indepentant Michael Bloomberg was about. Obama will be on the presidential ballot in '08.

December 4, 2007 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  23. vanessa MCOMM100

I think all this is so childish. Both Hillary and Barach should be working on their campaigns rather than trash talking one another. Why not try using your free time to connect with the public, since we are the ones determining the next president. Personally, if i were for Barach, i wouldn't be listening to what Hillary had to say anyways.

December 4, 2007 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  24. Matt, Milwaukee, Wi

Wow. I can't believe there are people on this blog who are kissing Hillary's feet. Please people, go back and re-read this article and then tell me again who is attacking whom. First, the HONORABLE Sen. Obama isn't complaining about being attacked, he is simply tracking them so as to respond with fact. Second, anyone who goes into a public forum and says, 'Yeah, I used drugs once, and INHALED. It was a bad choice,' doesn't seem to me to be hiding his record. Third, go do some research and see if you can't get straight answers from Sen. Obama since he's had the same stance on the issues since his first year as Illinois state senator-12 years ago. Does Sen. Obama attack Mrs. Clinton's character? YES. On the issues. Re-read. I do distinctly see Mrs. Clinton attacking Sen. Obama's character-but not on issues because if you had actually been paying attention, you'd see Mrs. Clinton cannot back up her stance on anything because she is more interested in playing PoliTricks than tackling any real issues. Go back and check her last few votes. She votes just like GWB wants her to and we're supposed to believe that is change?

For the millionth time; Please people, stop being so brain-dead and take a good hard look at the facts. Stop following blindly. Those pro-Clinton posts, I'm sad to say, sound more interested in a candidate that is good at playing PoliTricks than has real substance.
    "Open your eyes. Open your mind And make a fist."

December 4, 2007 05:05 am at 5:05 am |
  25. Pete. des moines, iowa

Considering lots of mistakes and flip-flops of Obama, he needs a big book to document them.

December 4, 2007 07:11 am at 7:11 am |