December 5th, 2007

Huckabee faces scrutiny for involvement in rapist parole

Newly published letters are raising questions about how much then-Gov. Huckabee knew about a rapist's history.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As he surges in polls, Mike Huckabee is facing renewed scrutiny over his role in the parole of a convicted rapist who raped and killed a woman after his release.

The murdered woman's mother, Lois Davidson, said she will "absolutely campaign against" Huckabee, and said she decided to come forward when he started doing well in the polls.

"It's because he is a serious contender," Davidson said. "I didn't think he had a chance, but now he's right up there in Iowa."

Huckabee, during his first term as Arkansas governor, expressed support for the parole of Wayne DuMond in a letter to him.

Full story

- CNN’s Dana Bash and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Lisa Hemply, Keokuk Iowa

Mr. Huckabee should come clean and let everyone know that he no longer can be a god in the The Church of the Firstborn in the Morman's heaven. On the otherhand, Wayne DuMond, should feel comforted that when he dies his time in the Morman Spirit-Prison Hell should only last a little more than a 1000 years. After that time he will have another chance to be paroled back into the Morman's celestial kingdom of heaven. Now that's comforting!

December 5, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. STL, Mo

In response to Hawk,Texas...
    I don't know what being a Christian Republican has to with this situation.
    And when you stick Bill Clinton in the same post as "when are these guys going to come clean"...I think you need to review your history books a bit...Old Bill wasn't the most honest President we've ever had...

December 5, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. Terry Summers, Morgantown, WV

Truth: Governor Huckabee did not pardon Dumond. He never took action in the DuMond case that made him parole eligible. He either denied the clemency request, or took no action (which is the same as a denial) on four separate occasions.

He also did not parole Wayne Dumond for he had no authority to do that. Governors in Arkansas don't grant parole-the parole board does. The fact remains that Governor Huckabee didn't commutate, pardon, parole or grant any form of clemency to Wayne DuMond.
    As Governor Huckabee said in a press conference yesterday, “"It was a horrible situation, horrible, I feel awful about it in every way. I wish that there was some way I could go back and reverse the clock and put him back in prison. But nobody, not me, not Jim Guy Tucker, not Bill Clinton, not that parole board, could ever imagine what might have transpired.”

December 5, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Terry, El Paso, TX

Sorry friends. In my post above, I forgot to put Robert Eckert's post in quotes:

"Uh…it might be newsworthy to mention it was Clinton's cousin who was raped and Huckabee released him out of spite"

I do not believe this lie for an instant. I was quoting it as an example of a vicious whispering campaign.

December 5, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  5. C.A. Texas

I agree with Cathy; being a monday morning quarterback is a scapegoat. This guy was given a chance and he obviously blew it. Why should Huckabee be held responsible for goodwill gone bad. For some reason being proactive is a sin in this country.

December 5, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

This is my third attempt to get posted here, What's the problem? Am I being to critical of this hypocrite. What this man did was to cave in to the christian conservatives. He and this evil cabal of conservatives are so bent on hating and hurting the Clintons that nothing is too much for them. Paroling this criminal who raped a Clinton relative was glee to these haters. Huckabee is indeed unfit to be President

December 5, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. JKap, Schaumburg, IL

Who wants a rapist-sympathizer as President?

December 5, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. josh

Wow! This guy Wayne Dumond sounds like a real piece of work. I wonder how many letters the Clintons recieved. I can't believe that the Clintons initiated the pardoning process for this guy!

December 5, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. Susan, Chicago, IL

You could have predicted what he would do by having looked at what he had done and honoring the sentence the court had imposed.

December 5, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. Heather, Indianapolis

I am a rape victim, and my attacker is still in jail, and I will continue to write his parole board every year to try to keep him there for his maximum sentence. Even so, I think we have to give Huckabee a break. We'll never know the whole truth of what happened, but I don't believe for a second that anyone would release a person into the public if that person was a clear threat. And yes, I would say the same thing if I were directly involved in this particular case. Living in bitterness toward rapists or lawmakers who made mistakes doesn't make our lives any better.

December 5, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. David Reke, Troy Ohio

Call me crazy, but Huckabee hasn't raped or murdered anyone. Dumond did those despicable deeds.

December 5, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. David

December 5, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. Steve, Landing, NJ

You guys calling this a disgusting smear all agree that the Willie Horton ads were disgusting smears against Dukakis, too, right?

December 5, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Ryan, NH

Funny how CNN waited til these new polls were out now to write about this. When are you going to talk about the terrorists that Clinton pardoned on his way out of office to secure NY votes for Hillary?

December 5, 2007 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  15. Willy, Chesapeake, VA

Can't be worst than what Slick Willy got away with.

December 5, 2007 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  16. Daniel, Syracuse, NY

FACT: Mike Huckabee did NOT pardon Dumond. Governors in Arkansas do not have authority to parole anyone; the parole board does.

Plus, NO representative from the Huckabee campaign was contacted to present an opposing perspective. Conveniently one-sided reporting, don't you think?

ALSO, the timing of this story is more than a little convenient, given that (1) this happened many years ago and (2) Huckabee just broke through to the top in polls.

December 5, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  17. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

Robert,Andrew, Ben, and Cathy just proved my point. Because Huckabee is one of them, there is no outrage nor comdenation as there would be if it was a Democrat. Yes, it isjust like Willie Horton but this time it is a Republican Governor who let him out to rape and murder.
    Now Huckabee is changing his story about not knowing any facts about the person he paroled. And just because the process was begun when Clinton was Governor does not mean that it ever reached the Governor's office, it could mean that he only became eligible for parole when Clinton was Governor, as does every person in prison.

December 5, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Brian Tampa, FL

When is the last time CNN ran a positive story of any kind on a Republican. This "news network" should change their name to liberal propaganda tool.

December 5, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. molly ny

The commentor is right about the Clintons starting the parole process on this man. Don't criticize Huckabee when you aren't criticizing the Clintons.

December 5, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  20. Karen, Boca Raton, FL

People, please, get your facts straight before posting. It was THAT he was paroled, it was that he served far less than what he was sentenced to. It is likely he would have reoffended if he had served his full term, but Huckabee went to bat to specifically have him released early. The problem is that not only did he single out THIS rapist for early release, but that he's tried to cover that fact up. This is not a smear campaign. Oh, wait, it's a smear campaign when the truth comes to light about a Republican candidate. When a Democrat or Independent candidate gets "Swift Boated" that's just good journalism.

My bad – forgot what the standard is.

When a candidate actually accepts responsibilty for his/her past decisions, I will eat my 3" spike heeled shoe. Thankfully, I know my digestive tract is safe. Unfortunately, I know my digestive tract is safe.

I hate "smear" campaigns and the tactic of "dirty" politics when campaigning – I am so sick of the mud slinging between candidates because the focus is taken away from platforms, records, etc. But it's not a smear campaign to report about an issue such as improper spending by a Mayor, or a flip flop in positions by a senator, or when a presidential candidate is held to account for past decisions/actions. I want to know EVERYTHING there is to know about each and every candidate. How on earth am I supposed to make an informed decision if I am not in full possession of the facts? I can make my own distinction between "smear campaigns" and good reporting.

Happily, I've not been dumbed down and have no intentions to be. Huckabee did a stupid thing – seems all the candidates have at some point in their past political lives. So, take responsibilty and move on – don't try to cover it up ...

sheesh, the concept of atonement seems to be lost on all these "Christian" candidates...

December 5, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  21. Brian Tampa, FL

Liberals should love this guy for doing this. Isn't this what they preach. I find it interesting that so many libs view Obama as a prospect for "hope and Clinton as an intellectual but Huck {who has a lot in common with booth} as a back woods twit. I guess that little letter after the name makes all the difference!

December 5, 2007 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Justin Pensacola, FL

It's not slime or smear if it's true. We are also getting access to documents that weren't available during the governor's re-election, as well as people are now speaking up that don't have to worry about Huckabee harming their careers. Hindsight is 20/20 I agree, which is why we should not consider this man for President, by employing a little 20/20 hindsight of our own.

December 5, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  23. G.I. Castillo-Feliu/ock Hill, SC

English correction: "Huckabee has repeatedly said he wished he HAH HAD more information...." or "Huckabee has repeatedly said he wished HE'D HAD more information..."

December 5, 2007 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. HISTORY REPEATS, NY

why cant we all just accept that these people are going to be running a country of many different ideas and beliefs and nobody is perfect. you see that is the one flaw in the republican conservative party everything is abslolute. right wrong, gay, straight, good, evil. it makes no sense there is more to everything that just black and white! people make mistakes but we hold these candidates to such a highest standard of the dumbest things! romney is firing his lawn service! but in 2 years when immigration isnt a hot topic there probably will be illegals mowing hislawn again. people make mistakes i mean huckabee made a pretty serious mistake here, but its just crazy that these candidates are basically forced to sugar coat and spin everything to seem in touch with the voters....but the voters make the SAME MISTAKES TOO!!! get real

December 5, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  25. Anom cal

Huckabee the blood is on your hands! Your resposable for over riding the justice system!

December 5, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |