December 7th, 2007

Huckabee: I didn't watch Romney speech

Huckabee said he would put his own Christian twist on a "God speech."

BLUFFTON, South Carolina (CNN) – Speech? What speech?

Mike Huckabee said Friday he did not watch the speech on faith given by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, but offered lukewarm praise for what he had heard about Romney's comments.

The former Arkansas governor said from what he had heard, Romney "seemed to have done an excellent job."

But the Baptist minister argued that he has been confronted with questions about his faith more than Romney has, and that he would make a "God speech" too if given the airtime.

"I get all of the God questions at the debates, so you know when people say, 'Oh, he had to make a speech,' I'm thinking, 'Hey you know what? If you'll give me national television time, I'll make you a God speech, and I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll throw in an offering and an altar call to throw in with it.'"

Huckabee was speaking with reporters after attending a fundraiser here.

- CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. Joe, Boston, MA

Whatever ever happened with seperation of church and state?

I'm so fed up with these hypocrital "religious" freaks running for office. They all believe in torture, don't agree to giving all Americans health insurance, hateful towards people who are not like them....but yet they say they're the religious ones.

Give me a break!

December 7, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

Huck is becoming real cocky. Not good for his campaign – just shows the true nature of his personality.

December 7, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. T. Tim, Lodi, WI

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

Do today's "God" folks think Jefferson was unpatriotic? I wonder.

December 7, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Lars, DC

Hey Huck! You get asked about your religion because it's all you talk about! It's your entire platform. And yet Romney still gets asked more questions about his.

I've got an idea, Why don't you give a speech on whether you think Mormons are Christian or not? I think We'd all like to know if you believe a 'Cult' is 'Christian' or you're just a religous bigot.

December 7, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. New Bern, NC

When is the last time someone questioned the baptist faith – not in mine or your lifetime and not even our father or thiers – never. So no a religious speech of this sort from a baptist is not needed. Romney had to make that speech. Good.

December 7, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. anonymous

i didn't watch it either huck.

December 7, 2007 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. Mac Reynolds, Los Angeles, CA

And which debates are those, Huckabee?? From what I saw, Romney by far got asked the most. Sure, Huckabee tried hard to jump in and take whatever ones he could, but that was by his own choice. Likewise, Romney gave this speech because he needed to. He has never tried to use religion as a tool to propel his success. Huckabee? Well, that's a given.

December 7, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Frank, San Diego

Yeah, Huck. Just what we need. Another "God speech." It's time to turn our backs on theocracy and the Taliban wing of the Republican Party that promotes it.

December 7, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. jerry,worcester,ma

wow, voters be warned of this guy. pretty rude indeed!

December 7, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. lou, Miami Florida

an arrogant side to the saint....

December 7, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. Steve in SC

Joe in Boston,

I take exception to your post! First the idea of "religious freaks" being hateful to those who are not like them? I believe your very words are hateful! Secondly, you want the government to GIVE? That is not the responsibilty of government! I understand some people may need help every now and then! I would love to see people actually earn something! Is it the government's job to bail out homeowners? What we are lacking in this country is personal responsibility. What you want is to punish those who practice personal responsibility and reward those who don't! I believe in helping those who need help but they also have to learn to help themselves! That is why people give to charities. This is not a government responsibility! P.S. I am a Christian!

December 7, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  12. Daniel, NY

Don't forget that Huckabee is now first in a national primary poll, 4% ahead of Giuliani. An unthinkable development only two weeks ago.

December 7, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  13. Steve, Lyons, CO

Huckabee: 'Hey you know what? If you'll give me national television time, I'll make you a God speech, and I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll throw in an offering and an altar call to throw in with it.'

Um, you just made it, Mr. Anti-Evolution. Your last sentence there is EXACTLY what's wrong with religiously deluded extremists.

There's no way you'll get elected, Mr. Huckabee, because you're too busy trying to force your religion down everyone's throat.

Romney's speech was a piece of junk. His "you must be religious to hold office" crap is exactly what the Constitution FORBIDS, and what the Founding Fathers were most worried about, except for making sure the executive branch didn't hold too much power, which FF decision has been totally decimated by President Lawless and his fascist V.P.

December 7, 2007 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. Brad, from the great state of Texas

Hey Frank, I love the cute names ("Taliban") liberals like you have for religious Republicans. Funny how you guys get up in arms when you are labeled "socialists" or "communists"– and please, why don't you elaborate on how religious politicians like Huckabee oppress and/or harass you in ANY manner like the Taliban did to the people of Afghanistan. Take your time, I'm a patient person.

I guess you're just another hateful, namecalling child from the left... what a big shock...

December 7, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Brian, Palatine Illinois

The founders of this country strongly believed in God, but the Bible questions at the last GOP debate were unneeded and very uncalled for. I am a Christian and I will vote for a Christian candidate because I believe the morals we stand behind are just and compassionate. We don't believe in torture, we simply say desperate times call for desperate measures...meaning the President should do whatever is needed to get information if they as well as Congress believes their is an imminent threat on this nation. Huckabee does need to stop using Christianity as his main point to avoid loosing the athiest, Jewish, Muslim, etc, vote. I do not agree with him about what he did with college tuition for illegals but I do think his morals are needed in a time when our nation is getting a little hazy on morality. The thing with him and Chuck Norris is to get the younger voters involved who know all the Chuck Norris jokes and will laugh about it when he makes those jokes. Cocky and confident are two different things.

December 7, 2007 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Geoff, Arlington, VA

Riiiiggghhht, Huckabee. You are a typical politician in saying you didn't watch the Romney speech. The only reason why you say you didn't watch it is so you can't be asked to comment on it. The speech was outstanding, and you wouldn't be able to hold a candle to it.

Huckabee is trying to play dumb, just like he did when he was Governor and pardoned six times more people than surrounding states combined. Then he says he didn't have a lot to do with it. Easy way out, Huck

December 7, 2007 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. Dan, St. Louis, MO

I'm a social conservative, but let's face it, Huckleberry is not presidential material. Doesn't really have the brains for such an important job, and more importantly, he's not even a conservative beyond abortion and gay marriage, two things presidents hardly affect.

December 7, 2007 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  18. John

Is it me or does back-slapping jokester Huck turn into just another political jerk when the polls start to run in his favor? This guy is starting to scare me.

December 7, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. Dan Seattle, WA

Huckabee, no thanks. Mitt's was enough.

Stick to your Chuck Norris commercials.

December 7, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  20. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Good thing, because if you did, it would have worried you. Romney put religion where it belongs, as a back drop. Huck is claiming he is God's candidate, that his rise in the polls is by divine intervention, he is saying "a vote for me is a vote for the Faith" etc. etc. etc.

December 7, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. Travis Medford,Oregon

To all the Republicans and who look at their candidates running this year and are still not happy with their choices,look at the Democratic side and check out the candidate that has a strong bi-partisan track record of leading and working with both parties and getting things done instead of being polorizing or inexperienced. A candidate who has a strong foreign policy background and a exit plan to this War we are involved in. Joe Biden is worth a look that is if the far left of the Democratic party lets that happen.

December 7, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  22. Jesse, Carlisle, PA

It is unfair that Romney was given free airtime to talk about his Mormonism. The "Incredible Huck" should be given the same courtesy. Wait, if I recall, in Romney's speech he didn't talk about Mormonism, he talked about "faith" generally. I guess it doesn't matter what you believe in this spiritually relativist culture.

December 7, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  23. Dale Davis, Glendora, California

Why would Huckabee want to look at the Mitt Romney speech?
    The scarey things about Romney to ALL of his opponents are:
    He looks like a president.
    He acts like a president.
    He talks like a president.
    He has the credentials to be a president.
    He SHOULD be a president.
    None of the candidates would want to watch him because he is great speaker, just like Ronald Reagan.
    By the way, Ronald Reagan had long admired, respected, and even counseled with Mormons. Some have even worked for him. The Mormon issue should be a moot point at this now, except for a handful of desperate anti-Mormons from both the right wing religionists and the left wing radicals, both of which meet full circle in their intolerance.

December 7, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Casey Warner Iowa

another democrat in Republican clothing. The guy reminds me of the republican Hillary, can't answer a question and is soft on crime.

December 7, 2007 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. FAIR TAX ,LA

FAIR TAX HUCK, YOU GO FOR IT !! ALL THE WAY !!!!!

December 7, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |