December 9th, 2007

Oprah vs. Chelsea

Oprah Winfrey campaigned with Barack Obama, and Chelsea Clinton hit the trail with her mother..

WILLIAMSBURG, Iowa (CNN) – On a day when Oprah Winfrey is taking her first leap into the world of presidential campaigning by stumping for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in Iowa, Chelsea Clinton is also marking a first. It's the first time she's been out on the trail with her mother, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, during this election cycle. And guess what? They're also in the Hawkeye State.

An attempt to compete with the star power of Winfrey? Not so, said Hillary Clinton.

Answering reporters' questions, Clinton never mentioned the queen of daytime television by name. She did, however, say a trip with her daughter—and her mother, Dorothy Rodham, who also joined them Saturday—had been in the works but that the family kept running into "conflicting schedule needs," that is, until today, coincidentally.

Reporters weren't told about the addition of Chelsea Clinton until Saturday morning.

"It worked out that it was going to be [Saturday], and I'm thrilled to have them with me," Clinton said. "I've had a great time having my mother and my daughter with me. I hope I can persuade one or both of them to come back."

But the two sat quietly while the presidential hopeful spoke.

Asked if Chelsea would be making any comments at any point in the day, Clinton hesitated but stated simply, "I don’t think so."

Reporters were also curious whether Sen. Clinton was at all nervous that Winfrey would no doubt be hogging much of the spotlight Saturday.

At an unofficial campaign stop for breakfast—where reporters with cameras formed a quasi-fortress around the family's table—Clinton chose to answer by saying, "I'm having a good time. I'm just not sure I'm going to eat all of this in front of you. That’s the only thing I'm concerned about right now!"

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. mark wilkes barre pa

yeah right

December 9, 2007 05:46 am at 5:46 am |
  2. Marion, Lagrange, GA

Don't be a Racist! Vote Obama 08!

December 9, 2007 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  3. J. Tanner Ocean Springs, Ms

Oprah is definitely smitten with Barack Obama. I see an emotional connection rather than a professional stand. I will not think of her the same. I believe she has crossed the line with the endorsement.

December 9, 2007 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  4. Woman for Change in IOWA Clinton 2008

It was great to see three generations of strong intelligent woman in IOWA Mrs. Clinton, her mother and daughter, We truly are in a momentous time, where a woman's potential has no limitations," "Hillary Clinton has already proven to a generation of women that there are no limits for success. She is driven by her passion for public service and her belief in the enormous potential of our country. Smart, capable and strong in her convictions, Hillary has transcended the dictates of what is thought to be possible for our time.
    "Hillary is a powerful voice for change as we find our country at an important crossroads. Under her leadership, our country will regain its respect within the global community. She will prioritize issues of global climate change, universal healthcare and rebuilding a strong economy. After 8 long years, the public will once again have faith in their government.
    "Another former first lady, Eleanor Roosevelt once wrote, 'In government, in business, and in the professions there may be a day when women will be looked upon as persons. We are, however, far from that day as yet.' More than 50 years later 'that day' is now upon us…and Hillary Clinton is ready to shatter through that glass ceiling for all women."

OPRAH has put woman (her viewers) back 50 years! Shame on you Oprah!
    VOTE FOR CLINTON

December 9, 2007 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  5. Oprah in 08

Mr. Obama should considering puting Ms. Winfrey on the ticket. She has about the same qualifications and experience as he does.

December 9, 2007 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  6. Roger Monel, Orange New Jersey

In my view, Chelsea Clinton is no competition for Oprah, I think it is proper for all Americans to support Obama, because we need to stop the race issues in America, I love the Clinton's family, Hence, it is time to tried new ideas, so America can be great again.
    Roger Monel

December 9, 2007 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  7. Joe Mathews, Manchester, VT

Chelsea Clinton is a bright, intelligent and hard working young woman. Let's face it though, her name helps, just as it helps Hillary. Without Bill being President, they both would be a blip on the radar screen.

Oprah, like Obama, has the ability to cross over lines of division and attracts a diverse audience never before seen in America. Both came from nothing, but Oprah's had a few more years to become the influence for good that she is in this world.

How these wildly successful events will influence voter choice is anyone's guess, but one thing is crystal clear. That first audience yesterday, the only one I was able to see, was a cross section of Iowa and America like no other. If Senator Obama and Oprah can do this for America, just think what Senator Obama can do for the world.

Yes, we have haters of every stripe supposedly backing other candidates. Disagreement and choice is what we are all about. However, do so in a positive manner especially you Democrats. Anything less and you give the GOP ammunition for the general election. The time is now and there is now time to waste.

Indeed, "Happy Days Are Here Again".

December 9, 2007 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  8. Sledge

I think it was good for CNN to cut Obama off right after the Oprah speech. Obama is hardly news worhty. Give up the good work CNN!!!

December 9, 2007 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  9. From The North

"Hate-Bots from Hillaryland out in full force." Where? There are five comments on this site and yours is the only one mentioning Hillary! And given that there are only five comments on this topic, it appears the "Big O" hasn't drummed up much PR for Obama.

But I do have to agreew with the last commenter, "Oprah has never endorsed a candidate before." I think the reason for that is crystal clear.

Those having to use what they feel are the Big Name Celebrities to garner votes are those who are so lacking in any real substance or qualifications they grab at anything that will increase their ratings.

Joe Biden is the only candidate running on his true laurals, record, experience, and leadership qualities.
    He doesn't resort to low blow attack tactics, fear mongering and celebrity support.

And given the last six years with Bush, I would expect experience, leadership qualities, and truth would be priority!

December 9, 2007 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  10. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

White House is not a place to train job, we need the President who knows politics and political view by experiences. Election is not a entertainment, it is serious future of our Country.

December 9, 2007 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  11. RAUCHELLE STONE, THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS

my friends will vote for Obama because he is black. I have many frinds who will vote for him simply because he is black, not because they agree with him.
    This needs to be reported on the media because it's "REAL". It's ONLY because he is Black. period.

December 9, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  12. Janet, Fairfax, VA

Well, Hillary, when is your goon squad going to sttach Oprah's integrity? I questions to the Clinton camp is of what significance is Chelsea and Hillary's mother? Who cares? Well, actually there is a question I'd like to pose to Hillary's mom: What do you think of you son-in-law's character and how do you feel about how he humiliated your daughter (if that's possible)?

December 9, 2007 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  13. Mandy, Stevens Point, WI

Could you imagine what profound good it would do this country it we had Obama and Clinton team-up rather than pitting them against one another. Fresh ideas and hope with some classic, more standard diplomacy. What a team indeed. At the end of the day, we need change. Oprah, Bill,does it really matter? We just need someone from the left to "pay the bills" and "take care of the kids". Right now the United States is a like a psychologically and physically abused child that needs some behavior mod, counseling and a lot of TLC. Bottom line, just clean up the mess.

December 9, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  14. Jack D. Schutt, St. Louis, Missouri

I would like to know Obamas' middle name and why it is never used?

Sincerely,

Jack D. Schutt

December 9, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  15. Helen, NY

Oprah, what do you know about Barak? What do you know about politics? Your job has connection with the political campaign. Go back to your place in the little box. Barak has no experience. Andrew Young said that barack is still young. Barak, you are just a kid in the senate. Do not try to shopw nationally that you can do something. You can do nothing. It is going to be a drama in all three frontline states and just a waste of money. Save it for the poor people in Africa. We just celebrated international Aids day. Do something good....

December 9, 2007 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  16. Christine

It amazes how the media it trying to shove this guy down our throats. It's like a Britney Spears thing. I have looked at him for the last 4 years ago, I'm not interested.
    I live in Georgia, and every African American person I speak to is voting Clinton. And I can assure you Oprah will not influence their vote.
    I'm one of "those" baby boomers who cares about Social Secuity and health care, not who the press thinks I should vote for.

December 9, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  17. Brian Tampa, FL

What a joke, like Oprah has more insight than any other American. Don't get me wrong I hope Hillary and Barack tear each other up and I am glad to see Queen Billary get some competition, it can only help my man Rudy, but to act like the Big O will influence the outcome seems like grasping to me. It is good theater though and since neither is going to be elected President it is all for show anyway.

December 9, 2007 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  18. Sledge

What does Oprah, Newt Gingrich, Rudy, and Karl Rove have in common?

They all are cheerleaders for Obama.

December 9, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  19. jack, ny, ny

Oprah is opening her big mouth for Obama ONLY BECAUSE OF HIS COLOR OF SKIN. She has made this into racial issue by coming in the picture.

December 9, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  20. Keira

"Change We Can Believe In"

That's an awesome slogan. With Obama's politics of Hope I really do believe there is a chance we can regain our lost stature in the world.

December 9, 2007 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  21. Walt, Belton, TX

On both sides, this gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Bought and paid for."

Who'd Brabra came out for?

December 9, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  22. JB Boston MA

Everyone needs to see this CNN expose. This is what the Clinton friends think!

December 9, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  23. Martin Ervin, Chesapeake, VA

Thanks Oprah, she brings a level of creditability and admiration to anyone’s political campaign. However, she doesn’t influence my choice in a candidate for President, even though I believe America needs a President that will restore and heal this nation. Obama, in my opinion is that person. This comment if for all critics who talk about experience in running this country. What experience has George W. Bush demonstrated? If he can be President then I know anyone else can. God Help America…

December 9, 2007 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  24. LB, Dallas, TX

Let's see what these people think about the issues. I am tired of the Clintons and their "bagging" everyone. Tell us (without flip flopping) what your plans are for America!

December 9, 2007 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. Chris, Middletown, CT

I think its funny when the Hillidiots bring up "experience" – funny...they didn't say that when Bill Clinton was being elected (with no foreign policy experience) – and I will remind you – a first lady is like a surgeons spouse – neither prepares you for the job....(if you are making an argument for for candidate...it has to at least make sense..unless you are talking to another HRC supporter...then it doesn't matter)

December 9, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |