December 9th, 2007

Oprah vs. Chelsea

Oprah Winfrey campaigned with Barack Obama, and Chelsea Clinton hit the trail with her mother..

WILLIAMSBURG, Iowa (CNN) – On a day when Oprah Winfrey is taking her first leap into the world of presidential campaigning by stumping for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in Iowa, Chelsea Clinton is also marking a first. It's the first time she's been out on the trail with her mother, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, during this election cycle. And guess what? They're also in the Hawkeye State.

An attempt to compete with the star power of Winfrey? Not so, said Hillary Clinton.

Answering reporters' questions, Clinton never mentioned the queen of daytime television by name. She did, however, say a trip with her daughter—and her mother, Dorothy Rodham, who also joined them Saturday—had been in the works but that the family kept running into "conflicting schedule needs," that is, until today, coincidentally.

Reporters weren't told about the addition of Chelsea Clinton until Saturday morning.

"It worked out that it was going to be [Saturday], and I'm thrilled to have them with me," Clinton said. "I've had a great time having my mother and my daughter with me. I hope I can persuade one or both of them to come back."

But the two sat quietly while the presidential hopeful spoke.

Asked if Chelsea would be making any comments at any point in the day, Clinton hesitated but stated simply, "I don’t think so."

Reporters were also curious whether Sen. Clinton was at all nervous that Winfrey would no doubt be hogging much of the spotlight Saturday.

At an unofficial campaign stop for breakfast—where reporters with cameras formed a quasi-fortress around the family's table—Clinton chose to answer by saying, "I'm having a good time. I'm just not sure I'm going to eat all of this in front of you. That’s the only thing I'm concerned about right now!"

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. stan pitts pa

Oprah is opening her big mouth for Obama ONLY BECAUSE OF HIS COLOR OF SKIN. She has made this into racial issue by coming in the picture.

Posted By jack, ny, ny : December 9, 2007 9:10 am

your level of naivete is appalling, if you wanna accuse oprah of making this a race issue then accuse chuck norris who is for huckabee and barbara streisand who is for hillary just to be fair to obama, but nah that aint gon happen because you thrive on your ignorance, racist thinking, feeling and comments, oprah is free to choose who to support, just because she is a mega star and she chooses obama now thats all about race? f.y.i he is of mixed race, half white, half black, since you are all about race, how are you sure oprah isnt supporting his white side? lol

December 9, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Stephen Oladapo, Gatwick, UK

A candidate who knows next to nothing in in American politics, (how much less of international politics) is being promoted by someone who knows absolutely nothing about politics! What a misfit? I do hope Oprah's smiles and hugs will be converted to votes.
    America does not need a President for the blacks or one for the whites, America is in need of a President for all (whites, blacks, women, men, children), the best candidate is the one who understands what 'she' says and when to say it and not a naive person who simply hides his middle name.

December 9, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. AJ, IL

I find it amazing at the harsh racial overtones some people have towards Oprah endorsment of Obama.

jack of ny, ny posts the following:
    OPRAH- I watch your show once in a while...I think you are promoter of racism. Next time I see you doing a show on the issue of "racism" I have only one thing to say to you–shut your mouth because you are the biggest bigot on TV. shame on you.

Why does the Oprah-Obama connection promote such racist views? When Mike Huckabee got endorsed by Chuck Norris , nobody was yelling about racism. Or when Hillary got endorsed by Barbara Streisand, no one was yelling about racism. But when two people who have similiar beliefs politically and happen to both be "black", some white people claim racism. What?! Huh?!

Why is Chelesa on the campaign trail in Iowa? She is not a child following her parent to Iowa because she has to. It is part of a political ploy to make Hillary look more family-centric instead of a calculating and cold politician.

December 9, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. Helen

People shouldn't be calling this a celebrity endorsement. Oprah is not a celebrity, she a Queen. Hail Oprama 08!

Posted By rdierker : December 9, 2007 1:25 pm

SORRY, SHE IS YOUR QUEEN. Speak for yourself.

Being a black woman, I don't have to follow what she says about Obama because I don't think Obama has the quality to lead. I don't vote for him because he is black and I don't vote for Hillary or Biden because they are woman and white. I really want Obama give us black people,( black women), more iseads how he is going to solve problems at home and international. Compare with other candidates, he most of the time can say the problem but lack of system how to deal with them. I am also afraid of loosing the chance to beat Republicans. I will vote for Hillary. I think she has guts to do what is so hard for so many women. She is tough, real tough, and I am very impressed with her life and records. When she talks, I can follow what she means, but when Obama talks, I feel hard to focus on the issues because he kind of spreading things all over, not very clear.
    I will find out how my 2 friends went to see Oprah today and see what they think.

December 9, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  5. Jim

She did not even speak. You Obama people are really alot more mean spirited then Senator Clintons camp. I have never heard anyone put down Obama's Children. That is speaking Dems and Rebs/ How low can one sink. To think Oprah represents this kind of Politics.

December 9, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  6. TAS West Columbia, SC

“At the end of the day it’s a choice among those of us who are running. And I think that most voters understand that.” (by Hillary Clinton, yesterday)

Now if that isn't no(n)sense double-talk Hill-Speak, then I don't know what is…..

And believe it or not, there ARE folks out there in the electorate, who actually would put someone who talks like this, in the Oval Office.

I have always been a Democrat, but if SHE's the nominee, I may be looking elsewhere.

Its NOT that she is female (my doctor and vet are both females). She is simply not qualified to make the Changes we need here in the US. Unless of course you believe that talking out of both sides of her mouth is a qualification…

The only remote advantage I can see for HER being Pres, is to make sure that the liberals regain control of the Supreme Court.

Conservatism is lost cause, but like Racism and the rampant use of guns in our society, it still rears its ugly head now and then.

We -certainly- need to stamp out the conservatives, but NOT with Hillary. Edwards, Obama, Biden, or Richardson… Yes.

Hillary NOT…

TAS, one of many liberal Democrats in Columbia, SC.

December 9, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. Jose Card

Race card is just as damaging as gender card. The best candidate has to go beyond any minority group in order to represent the whole country.

Ron Paul 2008!

December 9, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. suzzy,baltimore,md

I watch Oprah show everyday I get home from work.....I like her and I like what he has done for ordinary people. I totally agree with her that we need change in America. I am with this all the way. Go O's......

December 9, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. tina, NY, NY

The major difference between Hillary and Obama in being the first potential "non-white-male" president is that Obama got to where he is with his charisma and his intellect. Hillary got to where she is because she married Bill. She did not really earn her way, while Obama did. He was not born into a privileged family, he worked for everything he has. This alone makes him more qualified and experienced. Oprah rocks because she is self made as well. We must ask ourselves, do we want a gold digger, or do we want a guy with a heart of gold?

Posted By rdierker : December 9, 2007 1:21 pm
    _____________________________________
    rdieker- you are typical arrogant Obama supporter who doesn't what he is talking about. Just for record: She has law degree from Yale. She has her own very successful career. You must be mixing her up with Mihelle Obama.

December 9, 2007 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. Rodney Dallas, TX

Oprah often preaches about women's rights and that they should be more powerful in the world. Now a woman is running for president and Oprah turns her back to support a black man. We obviously know which is more important to Oprah. Black will always prevail over a woman when it comes to Oprah. She is a hypocrit and her show should be yanked from the air immediately.

December 9, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. Ayyub, Richmond, Va.

OPRAH- I watch your show once in a while if I am home or I am running on treadmill at gym. I always thought that you were decent who was voice for women. However after seeing you hooting for someone who happens to be black has really changed my preception of you. I think you are promoter of racism. Next time I see you doing a show on the issue of "racism" I have only one thing to say to you–shut your mouth because you are the biggest bigot on TV. shame on you.

Posted By jack, ny, ny : December 9, 2007 1:30 pm

It is sad that you all call Oprah a racist because she happens to support a person of the same race. No one is calling you a racist or a sexist if you're a white woman who supports Hillary Clinton. I really think that the ones saying this mess are the real racist or sexist. They're mad because they can't bare the fact that a Black man (actually he's mixed) getting in the White House before a White woman or a White person at that, that sickens me to think you could be that racist. Oprah has every right to support him, this is a free country. Don't get upset because you feel like the she's left the girls club. If you're that way maybe you support Hillary just because she's a woman. With a belief like that if Oprah did say she support him because he's black then you should shut your mouth because you're no better. Both could be good role models for my generation. A 16 year old shouldn't have to tell you that.

December 9, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  12. LILLY,NY,NY

I can understand Oprah endorsing. Why was she attacking Hillary regarding experience.

OPRAH SHUT YOUR BIG FAT MOUTH. YOU ARE RACIST.

December 9, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  13. TAS West Columbia,SC

Hillary NOT…

TAS, one of many liberal Democrats in Columbia, SC.

December 9, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  14. Nando, Palm Coast,FL

Thanks Oprah for making it so black and white. So you support your black candidate and I support my white candidate…sorry did I say that. I am not that stupid. I will support candidate based on experience and their stand on issues.

OPRAH DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB.

Posted By LILLY,NY,NY : December 9, 2007 1:15 pm

You people make me laugh, When JFK Ran for office Don't you think Irish people voted for Him, Clarence Thomas is black and black people don't support him, what i really think you are trying to say is, you are mad because he is BLACK.!! well get use to buddy people of color make up 60% of this world.

December 9, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. faith,hawaii

RAUCHELLE STONE, THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS'

If you are sick of the black-white issue, why do you bring it up? You are the one continuing the never ending race problem by highlighting Oprah's "stupidity" for backing a black candidate. I suppose, then, it is fair game to call the next white celebrity who backs Clinton or Romney a racist. Not everything is about race, pal. Obama will be a catalyst for change for this country and, with luck, will be able to ease the useless racial tension caused by people like you.

December 9, 2007 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Sky Pete Wash, DC

White House is not a place to train job, we need the President who knows politics and political view by experiences. Election is not a entertainment, it is serious future of our Country.
    Posted By Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky :

------------–
    Sounds Familiar... NIXON v KENNEDY

Richard Nixon for President 1960 Campaign Brochure
    ‘Why America needs Richard Nixon’

We need a President who knows the job

Richard Nixon knows it from experience

In these times of crisis there's no time for "on the job" training of a new President. Instant decisions are called for the instant he takes office.

Only Richard Nixon already has the knowledge and skill required, based on eight years of direct experience.
    ...
    With your support, Dick Nixon will win again in 1960!

December 9, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  17. xtina chicago il

Obama and Oprah are nice people, but what change did Obama accomplish in his previous experience that he's now taking to a higher level? The answer is none. He only has experience raising taxes to accomplish the goals of government, which is more taxes for those who are successful, to pay for those who don't particularly care to work.

December 9, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  18. kate, gb

Oprah vs Chelsea??

Oprah HANDS DOWN!! I never was a big Oprah fan until I heard her intelligent, true, hopeful remarks in DesMoines.

I am so ready for change. Obama everyday proves to be that hope that the US (and world at large) needs.

December 9, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  19. From The North

It's not Oprah vs Chelsea. It's not Hillary vs. Obama. It's Repbulicans vs Democrats. A vote for Obama will ENSURE another Republican gets elected!
    Obama hasn't a chance at winning the Deomocratic Nomination and by a miracle he did – it would mean another Republican President for America! Shudder, Shiver, Move to Iraq!

In reference to: "This comment if for all critics who talk about experience in running this country. What experience has George W. Bush demonstrated? If he can be President then I know anyone else can. God Help America…"Posted By Martin Ervin, Chesapeake, VA

Martin, I dont' mean this as criticism, but George W. Bush being nominated not once but twice as the President of the United States of America IS THE VERY REASON AN EXPERIENCED Candidate is SO IMPORTANT!
    God Help Us is right if another UNEXPERIENCED Candidate makes it to the White House. And not just God Help America but God Help the World. And that is the reason Americans should think long and hard before voting for Obama.

December 9, 2007 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  20. Fair,Washington DC

On both sides, this gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Bought and paid for."

Who'd Brabra came out for?

Posted By Walt, Belton, TX : December 9, 2007 9:33 am

The difference is Barbara has been politically active and has been very vocal about her political leanings so much that she's pissed off audience members during performances. The Oprah difference is she has never come out publicly in support of any candidate and if she is supporting Obama because he's African American so what, thats Oprahs vote, the issue here is people gonna vote for Obama because Oprah said so. Thats not on Oprah, thats on the voter, every individual is responsible for their vote as it pertains to their and their familys future. So if people are so dense to vote for a candidate just because Oprah is endorsing that candidate well don't go blaming Oprah.

December 9, 2007 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. Michael Stamford, CT

Oprah can rally all she wants for Senator Obama trying to get him votes it's not going to change my mind. My vote for sure is going to Senator Hillary Clinton because she is a strong leader with the kind of experience that can bring us real change. Over the summer Senator Obama said he would consider using military action against Pakistan which was a very irresponsible thing to do considering the fact Pakistan is trying to help us fight terrorism. If we are going to solve problems then we need to work with other countries and bring our friends to the table not push them away. Senator Obama's comments over the summer caused some people in Pakistan to protest in the streets against us which shows Obama's lack of experience using Pakistan to try and score political points. That doesn't sit well with me at all. Hillary Clinton is well respected, experienced and she will be able to help us gain back respect both at home and around the world, which is something Senator Obama wouldn't be able to do in my opinion.

December 9, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. Janel, St. Paul, MN

I watched both the DesMoines and Columbia rallies and was excited by the outpouring of support that Oprah generated for the next president of the United States – Barack Obama.

Yes, Oprah is a celebrity, but not the usual "pop star." Oprah has earned great respect for her views on many critical problems that have increasingly troubled many, if not most, Americans. I am impressed that she has, as she says, "come out of my pew" to support a candidate she believes is best qualified because of his experience, integrity and wisdom to be our next leader.

It is lovely that Chelsea came to support her mother, and I admire her for this. But. . .come on Americans. . .we need a change from the Bush-Clinton eras. We need Barack Obama in 08!

December 9, 2007 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  23. Bernice, Fairfield, CT

I bet the same Hillary supporters who booed Obama and Edwards are up to their mean spirited messages on this blog.
    Well, I, for one, will remember how Hillary supporters attacked Obama and Oprah and I will respond in kind if she should happen to win the election.
    I will vote for Mike Huckabee.
    This African American female daughter of a "Yellow Dog Democrat" will not forget the mean spirited messages.
    I know of others who feel the same way.
    No Hillary for me!!

December 9, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  24. LQ ROCHESTER MN

Jon from CA posted: Maybe he could enlist in the National Guard and get some useful experience. What does he know about sending troops into harm's way? All presidents have decided that they need to do that at one time or another.

Excuse me, Jon, but what do most of the candidates know about sending troops into harm's way?? WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE DID THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION HAVE WITH ANYTHING??? Absolutely everything he got involved in lost money.

Anyway, maybe Oprah never got involved in politics before b/c no one got her excited before. Or maybe no one disgusted her before as much as this administration. She has already known Obama. If she wants to endorse him and go out campaigning for him, that is their business. And as a previous person posted, if people vote for him only b/o Oprah, it's not her fault. it's just further proof of how stupid people can be. How many are voting for Clinton b/c life was so much better with her husband in the WH.

December 9, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  25. xtina - chicago il

Michael fr Stamford CT : you've got be kidding

Hillary Clinton is a socialist. She has even said she believes the government is there to redistribute the wealth. She has also said a much more scary thing when she recently laughed and commented that we don't have enough money for all the programs she wants to install. I believe the government is here mainly to protect us from enemies and maintain the fed. courts. A lot of people must not have confidence in themselves to work hard, take personal responsibility for their success and survival and to be happy with less government control. I also think that the more government handouts people get and the longer they get them, the less of a survival instinct they have (that was clear in New Orleans two years ago). Ultimately , each of us is responsible for ourselves.

December 9, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |