December 9th, 2007

Oprah vs. Chelsea

Oprah Winfrey campaigned with Barack Obama, and Chelsea Clinton hit the trail with her mother..

WILLIAMSBURG, Iowa (CNN) – On a day when Oprah Winfrey is taking her first leap into the world of presidential campaigning by stumping for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in Iowa, Chelsea Clinton is also marking a first. It's the first time she's been out on the trail with her mother, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, during this election cycle. And guess what? They're also in the Hawkeye State.

An attempt to compete with the star power of Winfrey? Not so, said Hillary Clinton.

Answering reporters' questions, Clinton never mentioned the queen of daytime television by name. She did, however, say a trip with her daughter—and her mother, Dorothy Rodham, who also joined them Saturday—had been in the works but that the family kept running into "conflicting schedule needs," that is, until today, coincidentally.

Reporters weren't told about the addition of Chelsea Clinton until Saturday morning.

"It worked out that it was going to be [Saturday], and I'm thrilled to have them with me," Clinton said. "I've had a great time having my mother and my daughter with me. I hope I can persuade one or both of them to come back."

But the two sat quietly while the presidential hopeful spoke.

Asked if Chelsea would be making any comments at any point in the day, Clinton hesitated but stated simply, "I don’t think so."

Reporters were also curious whether Sen. Clinton was at all nervous that Winfrey would no doubt be hogging much of the spotlight Saturday.

At an unofficial campaign stop for breakfast—where reporters with cameras formed a quasi-fortress around the family's table—Clinton chose to answer by saying, "I'm having a good time. I'm just not sure I'm going to eat all of this in front of you. That’s the only thing I'm concerned about right now!"

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. NICK

Does Oprah promise to buy everyone a refrigerator if they vote for Mr. Obama? GO HILLARY!!!!!

December 9, 2007 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. Ayyub, Richmond, Va.

Oprah can rally all she wants for Senator Obama trying to get him votes it's not going to change my mind. My vote for sure is going to Senator Hillary Clinton because she is a strong leader with the kind of experience that can bring us real change. Over the summer Senator Obama said he would consider using military action against Pakistan which was a very irresponsible thing to do considering the fact Pakistan is trying to help us fight terrorism. If we are going to solve problems then we need to work with other countries and bring our friends to the table not push them away. Senator Obama's comments over the summer caused some people in Pakistan to protest in the streets against us which shows Obama's lack of experience using Pakistan to try and score political points. That doesn't sit well with me at all. Hillary Clinton is well respected, experienced and she will be able to help us gain back respect both at home and around the world, which is something Senator Obama wouldn't be able to do in my opinion.

Posted By Michael Stamford, CT : December 9, 2007 7:13 pm

I guess you've never heard one of his speeches before, huh?

December 9, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  3. Coach Haughton NH

Hellooooooooooooooooooooo
    Obama has MORE EXPERIENCE THAN HILLIAR

December 9, 2007 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  4. Dan, Denver CO

Has anyone else noticed how many of the people who comment here are uninformed and over opinionated? I think many Americans have simply decided to stop thinking. Many of you are dolts, and don't even know it.

Dan from Colorado

December 9, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  5. Tamaqua, Pa

This is actually really really sad.

Obama and Oprah joining together? If you can see the reasoning behind that you need your eyes checked.

Also Obama has run his entire campaign on a false pretense– "Change." In Illinois he drafted legislation with special interests and lobbyists, and he gives PAC money to people who endorse him.

He also has routinely missed important votes in the Senate because of running for President.

Obama, the "change" you are offering.. NO THANK YOU!

Hillary all the WAY!

December 9, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. Martin, Largo, MD

Michael of Stamford, CT
    First, you obviously didn't hear the rest of the story... America already has a policy to shot first then ask permission later… Ask the UN… By the way Pakistan’s President gained power through an election or coup, try coup. Great Ally. Oh, thank goodness Pakistan is such a stable government or you didn’t hear that either.

Second, why has everyone made this a race issue because Oprah supports a candidate? When the great George W. Bush was campaigning for President no one complained about Pat Robertson supporting his candidate.

December 9, 2007 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  7. Tom Dedham, Mass

Wow, some of you posters of Clintonista fame really need to proof read what you post, poor English and grammatically brutal in just about every paragraph.

Not suprising you would vote for her and hammer Obama and Oprah, as Obama and Oprah have done it the old fashioned American way, "they have earned their spot", while many of you support hand-outs and big government "doing everything for you".

I don't always agree with Obama, but I respect him and Oprah immensely, Hillary would be NON-FACTOR in this country if it were not for her HUBBY, PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Chelsea has been rightfully off limits for years, but now the queen needs to come off as "Mommy of the year" and she is using her like a prop.

Typical of this "woman".

December 9, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  8. LILLY,NY,NY

Thanks Oprah for making it so black and white. So you support your black candidate and I support my white candidate…sorry did I say that. I am not that stupid. I will support candidate based on experience and their stand on issues.

OPRAH DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB.

Posted By LILLY,NY,NY : December 9, 2007 1:15 pm

You people make me laugh, When JFK Ran for office Don't you think Irish people voted for Him, Clarence Thomas is black and black people don't support him, what i really think you are trying to say is, you are mad because he is BLACK.!! well get use to buddy people of color make up 60% of this world.

Posted By Nando, Palm Coast,FL : December 9, 2007 5:42 pm

YOu really make me laugh that you couldn't understand simple post. Let me clarify- OPrah is going around bossting Obama's blackness. what if other start voting based on color. so is it about black and white. SHe is stupid to play this card. I WILL VOTE BASD ON EXPERIENCE....GET IT..WHICH BOTH OBAMA AND OPRAH DON'T HAVE IN TERMS OF POLITICS.

December 9, 2007 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

To Carey B., NY City:

On Oprah and her truthful communication – Why didn't she tell the poor schmoes that got free cars on her show that they would have to foot the tax bill.

Many of the cars were returned because of it.

Now, where was the communication?!?!?!

December 9, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. DJ.,Mountain View,CA

This election looked like a definite democratic win in 08,that is until the candidates started fighting among themselves.Shame on you guys.

December 9, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

To Rauchelle Stone, The Woodlands:

To hear anybody from The Woodlands preaching about racism is like giving a forum to Hitler to speak on anti-
    Semitism.

Blacks in The Woodlands are treated as intruders or tourists.

Now go back to knitting humourous right-wing blankets....

December 9, 2007 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  12. Richard,Derry, NH

wow, cnn trying to belittle Oprah? c'mon now!

December 9, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  13. ps

Yeah, don't play the racial card, but would Oprah endorse Obama if Obama is white?

December 9, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Oprah needs to go home

no one cares

December 9, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  15. Bernie Moore-Knowles - Papa'aloa, Hawai'i

Jack D. Schutt in St. Louis?

Are you for real? What is your middle name and why did you not use it with your IDIOT post?

December 9, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  16. Jay Evans, Hickory, NC

So she has her daughter and mother with her. Good for her. You can tell when Hillary is under the gun because she will talk about the elderly and children. I'm going to enjoy the whole Hillary campaign go down in flames. It's starting now. I'm ready for some one who will really change the country. I don't think Hillary is the one that's going to do that.

December 9, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  17. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

I thought that it was heartwarming to see Hillary's mom and Chelsea campaigning with her. After all, that's what it's all about: family.

I rather see a candidate and their family than the over blown celebrity endorsement of a guy with too little experience and substance.

December 9, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  18. Tim, El Cerrito Ca

If Obama is so good at bringing people together then why did he go and attack Hillary? He puts her down constantly. So that's ok? But he will be respectful of everyone else? He has already shown his true self. People need to take off the rose colored glasses with this guy. Remember how honest Carter was, and he had a hard time being an effective President. And don't get me wrong I'm a HUGE fan of Carter's. To me he's one of the greatest humanitarians. But it underscored my point that hope and good words alone will not make a great president.

December 9, 2007 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  19. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Jimmy Sanborn, you are right, I will vote for Chelsea because she knows about politics more than Oprah even she never speak out but Oprah is out of politics, just talking like Obama, she think her money can buy everything.

December 9, 2007 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  20. Jenny, paxton MA

judging from the majority of the racist and stupid comments made here, it's clear that america richly deserves bush and his disaster, and it's inevitable and good for humanity that america will go down the toilet fast.

December 9, 2007 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. Geri Sacramento CA

Hey Kate gb, You are exactly the type Oprah was aiming for; someone who will be dazzled by her celebrity (in spite of her weak message) and vote the way she directed you to. Thankfully, you are far outnumbered by those who can think for themselves, weigh the issues, and select the best qualified candidate.

December 10, 2007 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  22. Thaddeus Wong Chicago IL

America is ready for a new family. This is not a country of two royal families. We are a country in need of change and new direction.

Thank you for running Barack!!!!

December 10, 2007 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  23. Ward Royal

Clinton should be ashamed at bringing out her daughter and mother? This shows her true family values as compared to Obama brining someone out Oprah who we all know and love thinking this will get him into the White House? Well if it does....it just shows that americans dont think for themselves. Clinton is what America needs. The posting that says if you dont vote for Obama your racist is NOT TURE Im a black man and of course im not racist but I support Hillary because she supports us but not only us ALL americans!

December 10, 2007 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  24. Just say NO to, oprahbama, barrackwinphrey

LOOKS LIKE OPRAH AND OBAMA SWITCHED PLACES, OPRAHS NOW RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT? AND OBAMA IS HER CAMPAIGNE FLUNKIE?
    Go Oprah! We ALL know if anyone can’t take the attention off of obama’s no experience lack of leadership, refusing to show up and vote in the senate on Iran, Abortion measures etc... Seeking a trillion-dollar tax hike and raising the retirement age for Social Security!!!! Is not in favor of a health care plan to cover all children rich or poor and that he cannot make a decision on his own.

You can….YOU have disgraced American woman, YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THE FEMALE GENDER OPRAH! SHAME ON YOU, now as a last ditch effort you throw Dr Kings name at the black voters, now American knows where you stand on race…

SHAMEFUL ACT...I SUGGEST WE ALL TUNE OUT BOTH!!!

December 10, 2007 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  25. Joe NH

Glad the dog and pony show is over
    Oprah is a shame to her gender, yes the same gender that made her who she is today and she turns her back on them in a second when race is involved...

I think its time WE ALL tune out the oprahbama show, and let’s elect a REAL Presidential candidate like CLINTON!

December 10, 2007 08:31 am at 8:31 am |