December 10th, 2007

Gore: I'd only consider White House bid

Watch Gore discuss the White House race and his own political future.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Vice President Al Gore denied again that there were any campaign plans in his immediate future, but told CNN Monday that he hadn't "ruled out getting back into the political process at some point" - and that if he did return to political life, it would be to take another shot at the White House.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate, speaking from the Oslo site of Monday's awards ceremony, told CNN's Jonathan Mann that he didn't expect to ever get back in the political process, but that "if I did get back, it would be as a candidate for president."

He did not endorse any of the current Democratic candidates for president, and did not respond directly to a question about his view of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton's environmental policy proposals.

He added that "the political system as it now operates makes it very difficult" for any of the current crop of candidates to make climate change issues a top priority.

Gore's political future has been the object of intense speculation since he was featured in the Academy Award-winning documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth." Another White House bid would be the third for the former vice president, who also ran in 1988 and 2000.

- CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. Chad, Wisco

He needs to just run as an indy and completely change the landscape of our political system for generations to come. I've never been a Gore supporter, but I finally see an individual with an opportunity to make a huge change for the good. I really hope he takes the chance and makes the true change we all desire.

December 10, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. dg,houston

Go home Gore...and take your global warming garb with you.

December 10, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. Amanda Orlando, FL

I like Gore. He's a charming, intelligent character. He's motivated and innovative. He has a voice. He's influential and very persuasive. He's got great ideas and clearly cares about his country and his cause. I think he can get a lot done right where he is and doing what he's been doing.

But return to politics?

He'll become the next Ralph Nader.

December 10, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Bob, Seattle

Please do Mr. Gore. Easy pickin's for the Republicans.

December 10, 2007 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. Tasha, FL

hahaha...leave Gore alone!!

December 10, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. David, Dallas Tx

I'd vote for him.

December 10, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. John Karsten, Virginia Beach, VA

Who in their right mind nowadays does not beleive in golable warming. The writing is on the wall folks and it is only a matter of time. I did not vote for Gore, but after what Bush has done to my country, I sure wish I had. If he dose decide to run, I will not make the same mistake twice.
    Good luck in the upcomming election GOP. You crazies will need it.

December 10, 2007 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. RD

Would luv to see Gore running as a democratic president. He would clearly beat Clinton and Obama and would be our presidential nominee possibily even President. Clinton and Obama are a disgrace to the democratic party. Democrat's across this country are scared right now because we don't have a canidate that we fully believe has the ability to beat out the republican nominee. Clinton and Obama will be a sure loss to the democrat's in 08' they cannot even unite the democratic party. Gore would be a blessing to our party if he should choose to run. Then the democrat's would have control of the whitehouse and the congress. Go for it Gore our party needs you.

December 10, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Jon, Toledo, OH

It hurts to think about how much better this country would be today if the courts had handed Gore the presidency in 2000 instead of dubya. I voted for Gore then, and I'd vote for him again. He seems like a sincere individual.

December 10, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. Bob, Boston, Mass

If Gore truly believes in his mission to combat global warming, he would be most effective by staying OUT of the White House so that he can focus all of his attention on the problem and gain bipartisan support.

Otherwise, he would have to contend with other issues (eg Iran nuclear policy, Russia presidential succession, etc, etc), and he would alienate about half the country.

December 10, 2007 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Is it just me, or does this joker sound more and more like Forrest Gump everytime he opens his mouth?

Forrest Gore
    "Run, stupid, run!!"

Liberals are just convinced, convinced that the human animal has the capacity to change the weather. I swear, give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe.

December 10, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  12. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Bring him into it, so that we can REMIND the country how crooked the Clinton/Gore Presidency was and we can FINALLY put an end to all CLINTONS, GORES and yes, Bush's presidential runs for EVER.

We need NEW IDEAS and sorry sheep, he "aint" bringing nothing new, same old tired politics and same old SCANDALS.

December 10, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. LeftyLoosey

Much better than Hillary!

December 10, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. elliott in NC

Please FAT AL....GO AWAY!!!! We are soooooo tired of your dog and pony show!!!

December 10, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. Jonathan, Atlanta, GA

Gore's present status as respected defender of the environment is comical and those that believe he should run for president based his environmental credentials should remember that he lost the presidency because the GREEN Party felt he was lacking in this regard and ran Ralph Nader in protest – effectively costing Gore the votes needed to win the election.

December 10, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. Don (San Diego, CA)

Gore would certainly make this race for the White House VERY interesting should he decide to run. Would Gore select Obama as a VP?

December 10, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. Dan, NJ

Gore's slogan could be "You didn't elect me last time and look how that turned out."

December 10, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. John, Charlottesville, VA

Come on and endorse Obama, Al. You know you want to!

December 10, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. Angela, wpb, fl

Oh, I wish he would run!! He would win and it would be a supreme blessing to this country. Too bad we were so blind eight years ago. Oh well, it takes as long as it takes.

December 10, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. Cathexis; Raleigh, NC

I did not vote for Gore in 2000.

I look at what he has done these past 7 years vs what the Bush Administration has done and I weep at my previous ignorance and the opportunity cost to the country.

I did not vote for Gore in 2000. But you can bet that if/when he ran again, I would not make the same mistake.

December 10, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Eric, Naperville, IL

I would be behind him 100%. I think the best ticket would be a Gore/Obama one. Maybe then this country would get back to be land of free instead of lead by the fascists.

December 10, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. josh

As a conservative, I would welcome another land-slide republican victory.

December 10, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. John Q. Public, USA

Please, Al, just go away and take you liberal tripe with you..!

December 10, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  24. angela, wpb, fl

Hey Tom, from Dedham Mass, there are no scandals behind Gore that I'm aware of. He is the purest of the pure politically speaking. And he can pass a basic high school science test – unlike most of Washington, DC etal.
    Just my opinion.