December 10th, 2007

Gore: I'd only consider White House bid

Watch Gore discuss the White House race and his own political future.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Vice President Al Gore denied again that there were any campaign plans in his immediate future, but told CNN Monday that he hadn't "ruled out getting back into the political process at some point" - and that if he did return to political life, it would be to take another shot at the White House.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate, speaking from the Oslo site of Monday's awards ceremony, told CNN's Jonathan Mann that he didn't expect to ever get back in the political process, but that "if I did get back, it would be as a candidate for president."

He did not endorse any of the current Democratic candidates for president, and did not respond directly to a question about his view of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton's environmental policy proposals.

He added that "the political system as it now operates makes it very difficult" for any of the current crop of candidates to make climate change issues a top priority.

Gore's political future has been the object of intense speculation since he was featured in the Academy Award-winning documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth." Another White House bid would be the third for the former vice president, who also ran in 1988 and 2000.

- CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. John Marietta, GA

I believe in global warming. So in a hundred years, sea levels will rise two or three inches, according to the most dire scientific estimates. I just don't see how you call this an emergency.

Posted By Chris, Atlanta, GA : December 10, 2007 2:01 pm

You can't. I hope you realize that it really is more than that? You flat earthers always like to dumb things down till you can come up with a reason to argue. Maybe it is just above you all, it surely looks that way. Do a little looking around and reading on your own. The evidence is unquestionable and ALL points to the same conclusions. Stop listening to morons like Limbaugh. Global warning is not about Al Gore, it has nothing to do with him. The right wingnuts refuse to accept sceintific facts as they always have. Remember evolution? Science VS conservatives? There is no scientic argument anywere that remotly questions the overwhelming evidence of global warming. You have to be willing to rule out the political BS and accpet the fact that just because Rush says something does not make it true. (Also as all the evidence supports)

December 10, 2007 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Peter

OverTheRainbow:

To use Newsmax as a source for anything is ridiculous! Read all about them on Wikipedia.

They are closer to the Weekly World News than anything else.

You also might like to know that there actually were some doctors as late as the early 60s who thought that the whole cigarette/cancer scare was over blown. Some actually did TV commercials for cigarette companies.

I think the majority of actual scientists agree that there is some kind of man made global warming. How bad? Not sure, but to dismiss the whole thing is ridiculous!

December 10, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Travis, Austin, TX

"Please can we have a president who isn't a redneck from Texas or the Southeast? Enough is enough." – Felicia from PA

Thanks, Felicia. You proved to me once again how racist and elitist the Northeast is.

As for Gore: He's a hypocrite with no chance of winning the White House.

Posted By Eric, Houston, TX : December 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Oh how sad. Redneck isn't a race, and if it is, then I guess I'm racist too. Secondly, Al Gore WON the White House in the first place in 2000 after a poorly run campaign, where he was in the shadows of Bill Clinton. Next year, the Bush shadows will be looming STRONGLY over the Republicans, so don't count your chicks before they hatch.

PS: We in the Democratic party are also working on turning this state (Texas) blue by 2012. I can't wait to have Cornyn out of office next year too!

December 10, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Phillip, Atlanta, GA

Anyone who thinks global warming isn't happening is just plain stupid. If you don't think we have an effect on the enviroment, you're wrong. Bill Clinton was the most effective president since Kennedy. Hillary is not Bill and I don't want her and her corporate big wigs, anymore than I want Obama and his pandering to the ethnic bashers like Oprah. Both are too polarizing. Edwards is a wuss, but if Gore won't run, Edwards is ideologically in line with what made clinton/gore so effective.
    As far as "W"'s leadership the only thing he did was happen to be the president when the terrorists struck, and got a brief bump in popularity for going after them, but somewhere along the way he decided to use the military to settle mistakes of his father; i.e.: Iraq, proven to have nothing to do with Al Queda. Oh yeah, BTW, I am a sodlier who's been deployed, and seen friends die needlessly for a people who don't want what we're offering. Bush has been a joke as a president, and a leader, and I'm ashamed to call him my Commander in Chief.

December 10, 2007 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Hillary Clinton fears only two things:

1) An assassin

2) Gore getting into the race.

December 10, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. P. Berry, Lake Elsinore, California

I'd vote for him. I'd like to see Kucinich as VP.

December 10, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

To Bill in Pensacola:

If Clinton was "polarizing" I'd love to hear your take on "Jet-Pilot!!!"

Never mind, I now what is. Whatever Rush and Hannity tell you it is!

December 10, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. zak,Iowa

I played both clips and non of them that Gore is saying he is running for presidency. Cnn is becoming so untruthful with their reporting. I don't know where we should run to for real news.

December 10, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. john williams san diego, ca.

Al Gore / Howard Dean should run on the bi-polar ticket,,each new day would be incredulous.

December 10, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Rachael, South Carolina

Gore knows he would lose, otherwise he'd run. If he couldn't defeat President Bush in 2000 when Bush was relatively unknown and Gore was perceived as a centrist, now with President Bush having risen in stature for his post-911 leadership, Gore would have a tough time beating a GOP candidate committed to the War on Terror as their top issue.

Posted By Santosh-Phila : December 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Dude, you are an idiot. I really hope that you do not believe what you have posted. Dubya's rise in stature goes about as high as a midget wearing flats instead of heels.

December 10, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Laura Tulsa OK

Isn't it less than humble – well it's arrogant – to say you wouldnt' serve our country unless you were the chief?

December 10, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. KA Dallas, TX

Gore had the Presidency stolen from him. Bush is going down in history as the worst president ever!
    Don't blame Gore for Clinton's mistakes.
    For everyone who thinks Gore isn't Presidential–at least he doesn't lie and make up his own vocabulary as he goes along.
    Gore's intellegent, articulate, respected and he cares about the world and our place in it–that's very Presidential!
    I'd vote for Gore!

December 10, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. Sue, New Haven Ct

Al – If only we could convince you to run! What would it take? Tell us!!

December 10, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. Tom, Frederick MD

Okay all you Waco Wackos! Please do us a favor and secede from the Union and take your dim-witted President with you! From managing the war, the budget, the environment, immigration, it's been a total embarrassment.
    Please run Al.

December 10, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. Mike O. Wilmington, DE

Mr. Gore already WON in 2000. Why run again? We don't deserve his greatness.

December 10, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Pixie, Murfreesboro, TN

Jeez, I love Al Gore to pieces. I was lucky enough to get to meet him at a book signing, and he was just the kindest guy. I told him that I wished that he would run for president again with Russ Feingold as his running mate hehe =) I still wish that would happen. =)

December 10, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. paul , houston, texas

I voted for him once before and I would do it again. Please run - you would be the only candidate in both parties that the world currently has any respect for. This country needs that more than anything -
    And yes, there are people that think in Texas, so stop with the negative bs just because Bush claims to be born again here.

Paul - Houston, Tx

December 10, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. Eric, North Bergen, NJ

The candidates are lackluster at best. We could use an Al Gore as we could have in 2000.

December 10, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Angeline Welker Syracuse New York

The country would be better off if Al Gore ws President. He didn't have numerous affairs like Bill Clinton, and he is not polarizing like Hillary Clinton who feels she is owed the presidency because she kept quite until her husbands numerous infidelities saw the light of day. Gore is honest and a good man and would make a great leader. A Gore/Obama ticket would energize the nation.

December 10, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. xtina - chicago il

Al Gore will get a tiny bit of respect from me when he debates those who oppose him. He will not do so, but really won't say why. ?????

December 10, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. Mike Stone Houston texas

Mr. Gore,

If you do decide to run for poresident, then you have my vote and the votes of anyone else that I can convince!! Go for the top and try to save the planet!

Mike Stone

Houston

December 10, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Chuck Norris, Tucson, AZ

I have a feeling that if Al ran in 2008 it would have to be on the independent ticket. He would be starting a year too late considering how ridiculously early every canditate started this turnover and many people would not want to take the chance on a fresh new ticket. I'm sure others would agree with me on that.

This would cause the same issue the Republicans had with Ross Perot.

The environmentalists that are mostly Democratic would give votes to Al Gore. The Republicans would lose some votes, but not as many. This would hurt the Democratic party in its seemingly decent lead.

The only way Gore would stand a chance is if he could somehow overturn the Hillary war machine and the Obama Campaign efforts.

I'm not bashing either side either. I'm not even stating my opinion on Gore. I'm just saying that the democratic party would lose if Gore ran as an independent. So its an all or nothing run with him on that.

December 10, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Bill Solon, OH

If Al Gore realy wants to stop global warming he would stop all the hot air the comes out of his mouth.

December 10, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Ryan, Salt Lake City, UT

Gore didn't endorse anyone because he wants to keep his options open to run in 2012 and he would not want to run against an incumbent Democratic president.

December 10, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Ca Native

Al Gore thinks there is a chance he could get elected to the White House? Al Gore Jr must be sharing his "stash" with daddy Al.

December 10, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |