December 10th, 2007

Gore: I'd only consider White House bid

Watch Gore discuss the White House race and his own political future.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Vice President Al Gore denied again that there were any campaign plans in his immediate future, but told CNN Monday that he hadn't "ruled out getting back into the political process at some point" - and that if he did return to political life, it would be to take another shot at the White House.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate, speaking from the Oslo site of Monday's awards ceremony, told CNN's Jonathan Mann that he didn't expect to ever get back in the political process, but that "if I did get back, it would be as a candidate for president."

He did not endorse any of the current Democratic candidates for president, and did not respond directly to a question about his view of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton's environmental policy proposals.

He added that "the political system as it now operates makes it very difficult" for any of the current crop of candidates to make climate change issues a top priority.

Gore's political future has been the object of intense speculation since he was featured in the Academy Award-winning documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth." Another White House bid would be the third for the former vice president, who also ran in 1988 and 2000.

- CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. pete, atlanta

to use wikipedia as a valid source is also a little ridiculous

December 10, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  2. Matthew, Murfreesboro TN

As a conservative, I would welcome another land-slide republican victory.

Posted By josh : December 10, 2007 1:40 pm

When did 49% become a landslide victory? Was this the MANDATE FROM GOD!?!?

December 10, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. N McGreevy

Gore/Obama, Gore/Obama, Gore/Obama

December 10, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. Mike

Gore's political future is Zero. Global warming is the biggest scam of the century!. The earth has had this kind of climate change since the begining of time. In 2020 we will go back to global cooling cycle.

December 10, 2007 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Brent, Gulfport MS

He could get us signed to the Kyoto Treaty. Something Bush has been against since day 1.

Posted By Tony, Woodbridge, VA : December 10, 2007 2:02 pm

You mean the same Kyoto Protocal that the Clinton administration also opposed because it would have destroyed the American economy while allowing China and India, the number 2 and number 3 worst polluters, off the hook almost completely?

Please can we have a president who isn't a redneck from Texas or the Southeast? Enough is enough.

Posted By Felicia, Fountainville, PA : December 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Wow, and I thought conservatives were supposed to be close-minded bigots.

December 10, 2007 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Carson Minneapolis MN

Wow. Gore is still a very contentious figure in national politics. However, in global politics, he did win a Nobel Peace prize and it seems to me that it does not hold water to disagree with 95% of the best educated scientists from around the world. At the very least, wouldn't it be better to create and implement a green economy just to be safe, rather than sorry. What this man is actually trying to say is that we need to be a leader again in the global community rather than just an economy of middle-men and servitude. We need to be a PRODUCER economy again! Let's make PROGRESSIVE changes in Washington rather than maintaining the neo-con status quo. For Dems – that means NOT Hillary! She's as beltway as the rest of them. It means either Obama or perhaps Edwards. For the GOP – You old white guys have been stinking it up for the last 8 years and now 19 of you....yes, 19 of you are jumping ship because you realize what has happened to your treasured party! It truly is a shame, because the true ethos of the Republican party is something I can respect. Sadly, the reality is that it has been hijacked by corporate facists without any discernible ethics at all. But, Gore will not be back and I agree with some on this blog that he should concentrate on his environmentalist mission...he will continue to be effective in that facet. Bottom line: we are in the same position of corrupt politics that we saw at the end of the 19th century – corporate greed, democratically harmful industries and monopolies and politicians completely unwilling to do anything about because they're getting paid off by corporate lobbyists. It's worse this time, though, because we also have a terribly stupid war being fought for idiotic reasons, an entire economy profiteering off of it and a dangerous sect of religious facists with completely backward priorities gaining political momentum to break the necessary separation of church and state. And with an all-time record of distance between the poor and the wealthy this nation is becoming a witch's brew of discontent, hopelessness, poverty and general disdain. Unless we have some PROGRESSIVE politicians and policies enacted this country will come dangerously close to being plunged into destructive internal violence. Something has got to give and the neo-cons have done little more than prove that they can't do it. What a great time to be an American! I never expected to be this embarrassed by my own country when I was growing up but here I am! Cheers.

December 10, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. Timothy, Greensboro, NC

Mr. Gore: You have already won the Presidency of the US once (popular vote AND electoral vote). That was the time you should NOT have backed down and conceeded the loss as you were the clear winner. That put this country on a one way ticket to trouble. That ship has already sailed and you all wrecked it.
    We need John Edwards as Prez for the PEOPLE!!!!!!!

December 10, 2007 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Jonathan, Auburn, Alabama

Gore did NOT receive an Academy Award. The film's producer won, and Gore made a speech.

December 10, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. Hanzie, Houston, TX

Please run for president Mr. Gore

December 10, 2007 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Gatsby, Newark, DE

Gore / Obama '08

Would that not be the best presidental duo ever? Especially since Gore and Obama are pretty much the only politicians I have any respect for anymore.

December 10, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Andrew Lee, Nashville, TN

Hey Over the Rainbow,

Why do anti-warming advocates always claim the patterns are cyclical...like that explains everything.

No one is saying that they aren't cyclical, moron. But you can't honestly say that humans aren't screwing with the natural order of things....

I'm sure that you have a PhD and a wall full of diplomas that show how smart you are.....oh wait...you don't...huh...you got your information from a radio talk show?????

Pull yourself out of your own ass and use a little common sense.

December 10, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  12. Jim, Grants Pass OR

After reading all the left wing hate I know why Republicans have better mental health (Gallup poll).
    I would recommend for all you America haters to go and drink some grape cool aid and just end it. This would help with Global Warming by eliminating all that hot air and CO2 that you are putting out. That’s right you contribute to Global Warming just by breathing. How can you live with yourself? I would be angry at my parents for bring me in to this world (If I believed in what Al Gore was selling). Did I say sell. Al Gore is making millions. But he cares sooooo much (about making money). Ha ha ha. Buy some of his carbon credits, so he can make a few million dollars more. He will never run for President because he thinks he is now a rock star. Once we start a cooling cycle again he will be debunked as snake oil salesmen that he is.

If you don’t like the cool aid option you can go and live under your socialist friends in Cuba or Venezuela. . O’ you don’t want to live in a 3rd world country. You just want to make America one and then you could sleep better at night. That way you can get ride of you liberal guilt. You will also get a life lesson on about oppression, corrupt governments, lose of freedoms etc….

December 10, 2007 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  13. Leslie - IA

I really WISH Al Gore would run again for the President of the United States of America. He should have Won back in 2000 but as We all know Bush took that away by cheating his way into the White House! Gore would get things Done and do them Right! He wants to STOP this Horrible War in Iraq, too!!
    Thank You.

December 10, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  14. Ted, Los Angeles, California

This article claims Gore ran for President in 1988. There was NO Presidential race nor election in 1988. Two years before, yes, and two years after, again yes. But, not in 1988! Whomever it is who performs your fact checking should get a sharp rap across the knuckles for this one!

December 10, 2007 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  15. Jessie Phoenix AZ

Are you kidding me CNN. Al Gore has already said he is not running. He didn't back any of the candidates becuase he has already said he is not going to dabble in politics. Is this just another ploy for the commercial media to continue to dumb us down. I know in post before mine it sure does seem that way. And Al Gore has done nothing wrong but bring Global Warming to the forefront. It is not completly caused by humans, but we sure can do something to help the earth. If you don't want to help the earth because you automatically link environmentalism and Global Warming with Al Gore, you my fellow American are nothing but a political hack.

December 10, 2007 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. Raleigh, NC

Al Gore won in 2000. If he was in office today the US would be a much better place and all of our war dead would be alive, not dead for NO REASON. Dubya is a complete IDIOT. Way to go Republicans, now we have the worst president in US history in office.

December 10, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  17. Susan, Crestline, CA

I would love to have the chance to vote for Al Gore again, I just hope it counts this time.

December 10, 2007 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  18. Ty, Santa Clara, California

A shame Gore isn't running, but I can't say I blame him. Our country is sadly chock full of people who still refuse to take global warming seriously. A comic-book-loving friend once said it to me well when he equated global warming to how the leaders scoffed at Jor El (Superman's father) when he warned the planet was in peril. The other leaders completely disregarded Jor El's warnings and advice, and what happened? He was right, and the planet died. The other leaders couldn't see the truth until it was far too late.

December 10, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. Peggy, River Oaks

Hey dg houston, do you have your gas mask on here in our Houston air???

December 10, 2007 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. Krashkopf, Centennial, CO

What does everyone think of about this for an independent NATIONAL UNITY ticket?:

GORE/HAGEL 2008!

December 10, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  21. Jessica, Brownsville, Texas

There are some very hateful and mean people blogging here. Al Gore will go down in American history like Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin. And thank you CNN for actually airing Al Gore's speech live today. None of the other networks did.

December 10, 2007 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. Jean, El Dorado, AR.

Could someone please tell Mr.Gore that we need him as president. Please! Please! Now!

December 10, 2007 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  23. rev, St. Paul

I wish we would have had Al Gore for the last 7 years instead of the Village Idiot we got. It would have been nice not to be plagued with corruption, lies, cronyism, evangelical idiots... oh, yeah, and a war that we got into because our 'Imbecile in Chief' wanted to avenge his daddy.

December 10, 2007 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  24. Cheryl, Parma, OH

I have voted in the past for Al Gore and would vote for him again in a heart beat. Mr. Gore represents everything the Bush administration IS NOT. He is an honest, caring individual who cares for his country and this earth. Had Mr. Gore been permitted to take his rightful place in the White House, I feel that 9/11 would not have occurred, as I believe the Bush administration either helped orchestrate those attacks or knew about them and deliberately did nothing, in order to further their agenda with the Iraq war and the Iran war he so desperately wants to start.

A Gore presidency would have enabled America to continue with the respect and decency and strength it once boasted. Our Constitutional rights would still be intact. I believe Mr. Gore would have been able to keep our economy strong and not sold out to the highest bidders.

I can only hope Mr. Gore will come back and make his bid for the White House.

December 10, 2007 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  25. Chris, Denver, CO

I think his motto would be "Do what I say, not what I do." Since he pollutes so much more than the average person he doesn't stand on very firm ground with me. I don't think I could vote for such a hypocrite.

December 10, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |