December 14th, 2007

Clinton: I wasn't behind drugs remark

Clinton said Friday she did not authorize an advisor to raise Obama's drug use.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton publicly denounced a former top advisor's comments on Barack Obama's admission of past drug use Friday, the New York senator's first public remarks on the matter since the advisor announced he was resigning from the campaign.

"As soon as I found out that one of my supporters and co-chairs in New Hampshire made a statement, asked a series of questions, I made it clear it was not authorized, it was in no way condoned, I didn't know about it, and he stepped down," Clinton said while campaigning in Iowa.

Clinton was referring to her campaign’s New Hampshire co-chairman, Bill Shaheen, who told a Washington Post reporter Wednesday that Obama's chances of winning a general election would likely be hindered by his use of drugs as a young man.

An Obama spokesman immediately called the comments "desperate," and Clinton's campaign soon issued a statement saying they had not authorized, and did not condone, the remarks. On Thursday afternoon, Shaheen announced he was resigning his post.

Speaking Friday on Iowa Public Television, Clinton noted she personally apologized to Obama for the remarks, and said the "gentleman in question has stepped down."

Clinton also emphasized that she did not intend to make Obama's onetime use of drugs an issue in the campaign.

"There are a lot of differences between us, and those are the contrasts that should be drawn," she said. "I'm running a campaign about who I am, what I've done and that's what I'm going to stay focused on."

Related video: Clinton aide resigns

Earlier: Clinton adviser steps down after drug use comments

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Wayne, Silver Spring, MD

Why should we believe this?

Her own chief strategist went on TV last night (Hardball on MSNBC) and repeat the word.

This is really offensive to think we're this much retarded. We can put 2 and 2 together, Hill!

Come ON!

December 14, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. Vicky,iowa

Desperationnnnnnnnnn, yes, seems. I personally think Hillary wouldn't be a good president if this is how she is. I think she is another dean!

December 14, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Chet Brooks

Some Campaignes are as "leaky"as the White House

December 14, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Ryan, New Jersey

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

December 14, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Gloria, NY, NYC

HRC = Hopless Revulsive Coward

HRC is either a liar or a clueless dirty woman. Either way, I would be hard press to see how someone who cannot even manage her campaign pretend to be able to govern a country.

GO Biden, Edwards, Obama, Richardson, and Dodd!!!

December 14, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. dmw, roeland park, ks

Obama's campaign is using this for fund raising purposes. As soon as it was public, they sent out requests asking for more money. All of you who are so against Hillary and think Obama is God returned or something, are so naive.

Ya'll are being played by Obama and can not see it because you are so blinded by hate for Hillary. She does not deserve such hate when she has not done anything wrong except work for American families.

I will give Hillary the benefit of the doubt. And, she will still win the nomination. The polls are changing everyday and even if she loses Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, she will win enough other States to get the nomination.

Obama may have made a great vice president running with Hillary, but, he has been so underhanded and arrogant, he lost that chance.

I might have looked at Obama differently if he would give us his State Senate records or vote in the U.S. Senate more than 20% of the time and had a little more national experience.

December 14, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. J Houston, TX

Another meaningless quote from Hillary Clinton. She won't even take a stance on an issue. Driver's license for illegal aliens Ms Clinton? Retirement fix Ms Clinton? Pull us out of Iraq Ms Clinton? Answer any of those yes or no Ms Clinton?

Corrupt to the core, just like her cheating husband in their sham of a marriage.

December 14, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

Not so cheery looking today?

"One America for All Americans" bus trip...day 5!!!

Go Edwards!!!

December 14, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Daniel, NY

Clinton today has lost her lead in NH, is within single-digits in a SC poll, and trails by 9 in a new Iowa poll. Things are not going well AT ALL for the once inevitable front-runner.

December 14, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. AJ, IL

First Huckabee apologizes to Mitt and now Hillary is trying to do a "Huckabee". I remember about one month ago when Hillary said that going on the attack of fellow democrats, specifically Obama, was the "fun part".

Wake up Democrats! A recent national poll showed that only Obama and Edwards beat all Republican candidates, not so with Hillary. Hillary will polarize the nation. Bill Clinton knows this better than anybody. She "polarized" him, that's why he had so many infidelity allegations and accusations.

December 14, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  11. TransparentTrollop

That didn't take long..

December 14, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. highplainsdifter

WHOOOOO ARRRRRE YOU!!

December 14, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Darren, Cleveland, OH

sorry, I'm not that gullible.

December 14, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Josie, San Diego CA

Go Hillary!!! The time is now to break the ultimate glass ceiling.

December 14, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  15. Richard Tabuteau, East Meadow NY

She disgusts me. I'd rather not vote than vote for a person like her. Every single other Democratic candidate wants to move in the opposite direction of the brand of politics she represents.

December 14, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  16. Cindy

Somehow I failed to see the problem with Shaheen's comment. What's the deal??

December 14, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. Miguel, Houston TX

Good to see Hillary is doing the right thing as a leader and taking responsibility for her campaign.

December 14, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. LB, Ft Worth TX

Why should we believe anything Hillary says? After all, Bill did drugs too... oh but he did not inhale... What is the difference?

December 14, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. deroy, WPB< FL

she's lying as usual.

why tell the truth when a.lie will do?

she has known the shaheen muggers for years. they are old friends.

she's lying.

December 14, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. Mike, RI

Case Closed! Can we now move on already? This is ridiculous, enough is enough. Get back to the real issues.

December 14, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Dan, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What's wrong about that drug remark? Odama's past is fair game and all the campaigns have the right to talk about it. Obama should not use this to raise money.

December 14, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. Jo-Ann chauvette, cranston RI

It sounds like some of Hillary's staffers are trying to sabotage her. These unauthorized comments they keep making – they must know that it isn't going to help her campaign. Hillary – get rid of them. I don't care what comes out – I know your character and I know that you don't resort to "dirty pool". I will vote for you no matter what. My mind is made up!!!

December 14, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. S.J.Y.

Hillory Clinton has tipped her hand. Not even in office yet and she's being evasive and untruthful. No vote from me Hillory!!

December 14, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  24. Dan, TX

She can't run her own campaign, how is she going to run a country?

Contrast this with Obama. Go to Obama's campaign web site and compare it to Clinton's.

What are the bloggers saying on those site?

Clinton's is thought controlled and sterile. Obama's is open and active.

December 14, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. LeRoy, Los Angeles

LIAR – LIAR – LIAR. Those Clinton's (both of them) just CANNOT TELL THE TRUTH...IT'S NOT IN THEM.

The are the most deceitful two people in politics.

NO WONDER SHE'S DROPPING IN THE POLLS.

December 14, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |