December 17th, 2007

Huckabee launches Christmas ad

Huckabee launched a Christmas ad Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - If there’s anything more ubiquitous than Christmas commercials this time of year, it’s political ads. A new Mike Huckabee spot falls under both categories.

“Are you about worn out of all the television commercials you’ve been seeing, mostly about politics? I don’t blame you,” says the former Baptist minister, sitting in front of an elaborately-trimmed Christmas tree as ‘Silent Night’ plays softly in the background.

“At this time of year, sometimes it’s nice to just pull aside from all that, and remember that what really matters is the celebration of the birth of Christ..... I hope you and your family will have a magnificent Christmas season. And on behalf of all of us, God bless, and Merry Christmas.”

The campaign says the spots will run in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

- CNN’s Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Iowa • Mike Huckabee • New Hampshire • South Carolina
  1. Derek Grand Rapids, MI

Like everything else, Huckabee copies Ron Paul, who put his Christmas greeting out over a week ago. The difference is the biased main stream media covers Huckabee and pretends his idea is original.

Ron Paul, the only man with original ideas and the only man who doesn't need a think tank to tell him what to say.

December 17, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  2. Josh, Kalamazoo Michigan

Keep religion out of politics.

December 17, 2007 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  3. Wayne Bray, Atlanta, GA

This is a nice change of pace. I do realize his message is "Christian", but without the birth of Jesus, there would be no celebration. I think this is a very positive message amid the crowded trash we've come to expect from politicians.

December 17, 2007 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. Reg, New York, New York

I was expecting Chuck Norse to show up at the end of the ad. Huckabee would be a good president but I bet he'll end up the number two man for any candidate but Romney.

December 17, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. Jeremiah Cook Chattanooga, TN

Your quote is wrong. You have cut out "and being with our family and our friends." This goes after "the birth of Christ."

Why was this left out?

December 17, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. Patrick Brown, Fairfax, VA

You got his quote wrong. Typical. After he says "...the birth of Christ..." he says "...and spending time with family and friends."
    How hard is it to get it right?

December 17, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. Kim l. Allen Moore Haven Fl.

Personaly I think it is wonderfull that in our politically correct to the point of barfing country. Huckabee has the guts to thank Jesus Christ in this the Christmas Season. I watched Glen Beck Monday night (do not ask me why)and there he went again saying he was "pissed" at Huckabee for his question/comment about Mormonism. Never mind that the question was completly accurate as plainly recorded in Mormon literature. If asking about Jesus and Satan being 'spirit brothers of the same father' is so negative then Mormonism should change their stated beliefs. Glen then went on about how all Christians should be tolerant of all faiths like he is. Glen, Mormons state in their written beliefs that the only way to salvation is through the Mormon Church. Is that the tolerance you profess? Be honest Glen, your anti Huckabee ranting is based on your elect Romney agenda.

December 17, 2007 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  8. Bryan, Firestone, CO

Hello Iowa, I have no record to run on, and I'm going to get slaughtered by my opponents in January. But Merry Christmas anyways.

December 17, 2007 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. Theresa

Using God and religion to get people to vote for you is bad enough, but using Christmas as a political add is just pitiful. This Huckabee is the lowest form of life and people who fall for it deserve what they will get.

December 17, 2007 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. El Cid, Baghdad Iraq

Yayyyyy...a religious theocracy in America. I can't wait for the Huckabus to roll up to the White House in January '09 because God will be behind us and we'll be able to do even better in our 21st Century crusades to the Middle East to kill all the evil heathens who live there. Merry Xmas!

December 17, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  11. John George, Youngsville, NC 27525

Huckabee: Yet another pseudo-Christian who evidently never reads the bible he pounds on, especially the passage delivered out of the mouth of Christ 'You cannot serve God and mamon both; you must chose one or the other.'
    The real threat with Huckabee is that he is disarming, socially adept and has a great sense of humor but, then again, so does satan!

December 17, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. John, Dallas, TX

Please, oh please, don't let this preacher be elected 🙁 The *last* thing we need is another "Christian" in the White House.

December 17, 2007 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Wow, Huckabee totally ripped off Ron Paul's Christmas ad.

December 17, 2007 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  14. Marti, San Diego CA

You have got to be kidding me!! I am in shock. No matter how many times he wants to say it's not about religion and then he throws this ad out there...with specific references to Christianity...

Pander Pander Pander!!! Enough! Why don't you try and explain why so many of your policies were quite liberal in nature.

This is ridiculous people. I actually liked Mike for a while...before I really examined his record and positions. Now, the guy scares me. He is riding the "we like Mike" wave based nearly entirely on his religion and his folksy Southern charm.

...and many of y'all are buying it hook, line, and sinker. Sanity check – Sunday sermons, one-liners, and a nice accent don't solve problems. PROVEN LEADERSHIP ABILITY is what we really need.

I'm voting for Romney – they guy with the most complete set of leadership credentials.

December 17, 2007 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  15. Walt, Belton, TX

Sorry Mike, one loser from Hope, Arkansas is more than enough.

Neither advocates a strong national defense and neither served their country in uniform, and we saw how Clinton decimated the military.

Electing two capitulating doofuses from Hope would be absolutely stupid!

December 17, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  16. rob, pasadena,ca

A cheap panderer. Enjoy your 15 minutes you dumb bigot.

December 17, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  17. Adam, Chicago, Illinoid

Is it a little curious that the only people Mike Huckabee is concerned about having a "magnificent Christmas season" is Christians in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina? I feel like I've heard about those three states... are they relevant for something?

December 17, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  18. HUCK,LA.

WELL DONE HUCK!!

December 17, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  19. Thomas Wells, Laerton MI

Please Michael.

What's the point?

I intend to tell every elder I can not to fall for this type of campaign.

Jesus is Jesus. Leave it alone.

December 17, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. Mike, Clio, Michigan

Adam, you are exactly right.

It's more than a little coincidental that he chose those states, methinks.

I also agree with those that say that the LAST thing we need is another "Christian" in the office. Religion and politics are separate, period. The fact that the GOP is quite likely going to choose a Southern Baptist preacher who takes the Bible as the literal word of god scares me just a little.

*sigh*

December 17, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  21. Mike, New Braunfels, TX

So many of you sound like some of those people who were making fun of Noah when he was building the ark. Why so many of you consider Christian beliefs so offensive is beyond me...and very sad and unfortunate. You call Huckabee a bigot....I see no bigotry from him. However, I consistently see hatred and bigotry from people like many of you, against people like Huckabee who openly express their beliefs. Stop the bigotry...and the hypocracy.

December 17, 2007 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. EB Rideout, Georgia

Pander City.

As soon as these early primaries are over he'll vanish out the back door and leave these brides-to-be standing at the altar.

December 17, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. Steven in Charleston, SC

Sometimes all there is to say is......Good Grief.

December 17, 2007 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  24. Jonathan, Ames Iowa

Huckabee is offensive and a hack. I am a Christian and I think that Huckabee is USING his religion for his personal gain. That is sad.

December 17, 2007 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. Daniel Park, Seoul, Korea

I think "Huck" is great. Keep it up! You really surprised a lot of people. Thanks for your sensitivity to people's feelings.

You have a great record in Arkansas. Just be faithful to what God wants yo to do. You are doing well by keeping clean and speaking to the people. I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Iowa, and in New Hampshire, and in South Carolina ....

December 17, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |