December 18th, 2007

Clinton gets emotional

The Clinton campaign is aiming to show a softer side of the New York senator.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton got visibly emotional at an Iowa campaign event Monday morning designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator.

Flanked by childhood friends and constituents who each offered testimonials on the Democratic presidential candidate, a glassy-eyed Clinton spoke noticeably softer than most past appearances on the stump.

"It is very exciting for me to have so many of my friends from my entire life who have come out here, to talk with Iowans, to answer questions, to give you some insight and information about our relationships, about what I've been trying to do my entire life, and particularly as an adult," Clinton said at a campaign event in Johnston, Iowa Monday.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” she said later in the event. “You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator."

The event coincides with a new campaign Web site - www.TheHillaryIKnow.com - that includes videos for several friends, colleagues, and constituents of Clinton's speaking on her behalf.

The event and Web site are all part of an effort to convey a softer image of Clinton, as polls continue to indicate Democratic primary voters view her as less likeable and more like a "typical politician" than her chief rival, Barack Obama.

A spokesperson told CNN the site will help round out what caucus-goers don’t know about Clinton. “You want voters to have the fullest portrait of your candidate possible when Election Day comes around and that’s what you’re seeing us doing right now.”

The surrogates from the Web site will be fanning out across Iowa and telling their stories over the next three days on Clinton's "Every Caucus Counts Tour."

Earlier: Clinton campaigns with mother, daughter

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

My friends, my husband and my sons are strong supporters of Senator Clinton. It appears their are some in cable news who have a personal vendettal against Hillary. For example, Chris Matthew has attacked her every night for months. If some of his guests defend her, the never appear on his show again. Today, Cnn was doing some of the same. Carl Berstein was criticizing her on the Lou Dobbs show. John King is usually fair but even he was getting a bit nasty tonight. Barack Obama is not ready to be our President and it seems the media is trying to shove him down our throats. I will sit out the election is Obama is able to get the nomination. Any of the other candidates on the Democratic side are better than he. He is getting a free pass from the press. They must fear they will be called racists, but they have no fear that they will be called sexist. Their attacks about Hillary laugh and her tone are clearly sexists criticisms. Shame. Shame. Remember folks this media is the same crowd that played up George W. Bush as a good drinking buddy and that Saddan had WMD>

December 17, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  2. columbus, Olivette, MO

No Hillary – this is sad! Your advisers and strategists are letting you down. I mean – be proud of the person you are. Obama is Obama, Edwards is Edwards! What is this silliness that you have to shed tears to show that you're human and likeable. This makes you lose votes. I can't imagine casting a vote for a candidate who is so micromanaged to this extent. You don't have to go through this mental turmoil to please the voters. It will not change anything. Just be yourself!

December 17, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. Julian, Port-of-Spain Trinidad and Tobago

Are u kidding me? I may not be a Clinton supporter...but this is depressing. Tearing up just as you launch a new website to showcase the softer Hilary. Some genius from the Clinton camp is about to get fired again. This appears as real as Santa Claus. Mrs. Clinton is now officially the embodiment of the Stepford Politician.

December 17, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. Jim H, Glendale, CA

You'll notice that many of these people are here from a lead article in the Huffington Post, a rabid center of anti-Hillary feeling on the "progressive" side. Sounds a lot like Limbaugh. Funny how Obama supporters react with ferocity at the slightest criticism - call it "negative campaigning," - and yet they slander Hillary all the time.

December 17, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  5. Peter Luster, Indianapolis, Indiana

When use as a 'plan'–an event to show a softer side of a person- it really speaks to something really fake about Hillary, This is exactly her problem–Way to calculating!

Peter Luster
    Columnist (Freelance)

December 17, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  6. Another New Yorker for Obama

I am a NY resident. In her years in the Senate, Miss Hillary has not done a thing for this state. When I have tried to get her office to get behind some important issues in this state that were disproportionately harming women and children, Miss Hillary was not interested.

She is no friend to women, to blacks, and I will NEVER vote for her. She has had her time, and as far as I can see, she's done ZERO with her opportunities.

I read something yesterday which wisely questioned what Miss Hillary did to help the dismal public education system when she was First Lazy! She sent Chelsea to private school. Hmmm.

I have had enough of this nonsense. I've voted for 1 Republican my whole life, but if Miss Hillary is our candidate, it will be my second vote (for a Republican).

But, I am confident we have a contender–someone outside the old okey doke and that is Obama. The man has vision, passionate and you know he'll work every day of his life for the people. Americans haven't had that kind of representative to my recollection. But I'm ready. My vote is for the Great White Hope-Barack Obama!!!!

December 17, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  7. O.A.

The truth is all you Clinton supporters know in your heart that this latest stunt is a charade. You may keep supporting her, but when her campaign announces that she is going to show her softer side, and she starts crying thats a load of crap. She crys and another one of her aides will call Obama a drug dealer, or some other sterotype of black men and then resign. She says she is for blacks but the fact that she plays into those stereotypes shows she really is not.

December 17, 2007 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. Dave

This explains everything:

"designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator."

Key word: designed.

December 17, 2007 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  9. Terry, Los Angeles, CA

Everyone seems to think Hillary "wants" to be president. Is there anyone in this race who doesn't want to be president? If so, GET OUT. Wanting a job and working hard for it is a good thing. People like Obama for the same reasons they liked Bush 2 – on some level they feel sorry for the poor vulnerable candidate and they want to "save" him from the wolves by throwing them support and votes. Look what happened last time everyone felt sorry for a candidate.

December 17, 2007 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  10. Allen, New York, NY

I really don't see why we have to call each other stupid, morons, sad, pathetic people just because we see candidates differently and have different views on what kind of person we want as president. I do not personally support Hillary but she has every right to run for president and obviously a lot of people support her. Is that such a terrible thing? A woman president would be historic, as would an African American president. John Edwards gets an expensive haircut and he is subject to ridicule. Who's being shallow there?

Maybe instead of expecting Hillary or anyone else to unite us we ought to work a little harder at it ourselves.

December 17, 2007 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  11. Walt, Belton, TX

So sweet even the Cobra herself had a tear in her eye. You can never trust a cobra...........

December 17, 2007 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  12. Magliovelli, Menlo Park CA

I wonder what other emotional reactions she fakes. O isn't for Oprah...

December 17, 2007 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  13. Libertarian

This woman is beyond pathetic. I really hope America wakes up and realizes she is just another face of Bush-Cheney. Please do not be fooled by her, people!

December 17, 2007 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  14. Mia, Stafford, VA

GIVE ME A BREAK!

If you friends and family won't support you who would. Why is that something to tear up about, if a Republican who has been hate-mongering on the Clintons for the last decade came out, say somebody like Karl Rove, then she may want to tear up.

She is so PHONY!

December 17, 2007 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  15. Mari Fernandez, Salt Lake City, UT

I want change just like everyone else. BUT its not Hillary,folks! The tears, emotions, all that is an act. She is losing, her attacks are backfiring. I couldn't believe the change in her voice. I voted for Bill, but will not for Hillary. YES, I would love to see a woman president...... not Hillary!

I am hoping for an Edwards/Obama ticket. Iowans please take a good long look at everyone. Decided wisely.

December 17, 2007 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. Thomas, Detroit, mI

Why is she crying is she holding an onion?

December 17, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. Tom, Detroit, MI

I don't think she cried that much when Bill cheated on her.
    ------
    Hillary is the best candidate for the Presidency. She is certainly the best candidate to finally represent American women! Experience does count. Many can talk about change but they have no way to back it up. Hillary can get the job done!

-----–
    Yeah because she accomplished something with health care when she was tasked with it.

December 17, 2007 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  18. Dottie Dot Stillwater Minnesota

Honestly - WHO CARES? Why is she front & center again when the public is clearly crying out for change. Why isn't Ron Paul's fundraising on page 1?

December 17, 2007 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  19. AJ, IL

Hillary showing a softer side? Hmmm...first Romney is crying and now Hillary is crying. Sorry folks, these two are not presidential.

Hillary has gone from Iron Maiden to Experience Champion to Agent of Change and now to her latest transformation, the Emotional Candidate. Each transformation was to get more support according to poll numbers.

This is so political of Hillary it makes me MAD! Do people actually believe the B.S. that is being thrown at them? Sorry, Hillary you can't fool me. You didn't publicly tear up when Bill was caught in one of his many public infidelity cases.

December 17, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  20. Marcus, Dallas TX

HEY!! WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'! THERE'S NO CRYIN' IN POLITICS!!!

December 17, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  21. Michelle D. - Atlanta, GA

Just what we DON'T want to see. Must be the PMS. I guess she's taking her cue from Mitt Romney after his interview w/Tim Russert on Sunday.

Did we ever see Maggie Thatcher crying? Is THIS what we want in a leader? I think not.

I am a Dem. I am a Christian. I am a woman. I am a mother. I am a hardworking taxpayer and I'm STILL voting for EDWARDS.

December 17, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  22. Scott, Ohio

Whoa, whoa, whoa...how many of the people who wrote in "support" comments are joking or being sarcastic? I can't tell, some of them seem serious.

But anyway, after cleaning the puke off my computer, I'm going to have to agree with the majority of posters...the Clinton campaign is a joke and I find it amazing that people have bought into this. She stands for NOTHING! I mean what the heck do people see in her other than a person who wants to be president? She and Guiliani are the most evil, self-centered people in this race, yet somehow people buy into their campaigns. The polls are about inverse of what they should be...Ron Paul (genuine, trustworthy, man of the people, much more intelligent than media makes him out to be) is #1 then Joe Biden (another authentic guy), John Edwards (as passionate as I am about pointing out to the people what a huge mistake Clinton is), Obama, Richardson, McCain, Dodd, Romney, Thompson, ..., Guiliani, Clinton.

December 17, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  23. Allan

I find it funny to notice when male politicians like Obama and Edwards throw negative remarks, show tears and emotions, share religious ideas, admit to drug dependence in the past – its all good and fair under the sun. but when a female politician like Hillary does all these, its fake! Unfair to female lot don't you think. Hillary please be patient. You would notice all Obama and Edwards fans spend their time on any Hillary discussion. Its very obvious! Hillary will win.

December 17, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  24. ID

So what? Ron Paul raised 6 million in one day. CNN even covered it...and now they must bury it ASAP with stories about Clinton's fake tears.

December 17, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  25. Shannon Ny

from her actions it appears as if that helping tends to be herself.

December 17, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |