December 18th, 2007

Clinton gets emotional

The Clinton campaign is aiming to show a softer side of the New York senator.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton got visibly emotional at an Iowa campaign event Monday morning designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator.

Flanked by childhood friends and constituents who each offered testimonials on the Democratic presidential candidate, a glassy-eyed Clinton spoke noticeably softer than most past appearances on the stump.

"It is very exciting for me to have so many of my friends from my entire life who have come out here, to talk with Iowans, to answer questions, to give you some insight and information about our relationships, about what I've been trying to do my entire life, and particularly as an adult," Clinton said at a campaign event in Johnston, Iowa Monday.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” she said later in the event. “You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator."

The event coincides with a new campaign Web site - www.TheHillaryIKnow.com - that includes videos for several friends, colleagues, and constituents of Clinton's speaking on her behalf.

The event and Web site are all part of an effort to convey a softer image of Clinton, as polls continue to indicate Democratic primary voters view her as less likeable and more like a "typical politician" than her chief rival, Barack Obama.

A spokesperson told CNN the site will help round out what caucus-goers don’t know about Clinton. “You want voters to have the fullest portrait of your candidate possible when Election Day comes around and that’s what you’re seeing us doing right now.”

The surrogates from the Web site will be fanning out across Iowa and telling their stories over the next three days on Clinton's "Every Caucus Counts Tour."

Earlier: Clinton campaigns with mother, daughter

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

John Petty in Aurora,

I have been a Democrat my whole life and I will NEVER, AND I MEAN EVER, vote for Hillary Clinton. And don't you try to guilt me into doing it should she win the nomination. I won't vote for the Republican, and I won't vote for Republican-Lite (Hillary).

If my fellow Democrats are dumb enough to nominate her, then they are the ones that must deal with the guilt of having a Republican as our next President. Don't blame the rest of us that warned you!

Not only would she lose in the general election, but she will galvanize the Republican party like no other. You will see Democrats losing everywhere.

I get the same feeling having to worry about Hillary as I did having to worry about Bush in the past two elections. How sad it is for our party!

Obama/Edwards or Edwards/Obama '08

December 17, 2007 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. pam Eugene OR

How in heavens name did this "story " make it to the top of the Ticker? Can on CNN put the real news first. Ron Paul raised a record amount of money today and he isn't even considered a top tier candidate. Hillary forces out a few fake tears and it is headline news. The big news this story tells is how divisive she is. About 2/3 of the comments are "get real" lady and the other 1/3 are "We love you Hillary"juck. About half the people in her own party hate her. You ask why;
    She has no meaningful position on anything.
    She changes her mind as the polls go. She plays dirty politics to win.
    She has so many questionable contributors.
    She is surrounded with scandal, both personal and financial.
    The Republican will eat her alive.
    I am a woman and a Democrat but I can not under any circumstances support her. I would love to tell my granddaughter about voting for the first woman ever to be the President of the United States but I would have to explain how I did that while holding my nose. It is not her time, not now or ever.

December 17, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. RuthieM

Oh give me a break! I'm sure Bill told her, now Hillary go cry a little bit. Gee, what a shame she summoned all these people up and she's dragging them around Iowa. Hm, The Hillary I know...

December 17, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  4. boynla, LA, CA

HRC is the most qualified and experienced candidate from either party, and she's a fighter. if the Dems run Obama in the general, he'll get crushed by the GOP. wake-up dem voters, if you actually want to win the white house, it takes a clinton!

December 17, 2007 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  5. H, NY and NY

The only thing missing from that article is that the "somebody" she tries to help everyday is named Hillary Clinton.

This is to make us forget about the gaffes of her campaign with regards to insinuating that Obama was a drug dealer etc.

I especially like the comments on this forum about how great a senator she is, from people that aren't even in her state!

December 17, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. J. McKinney SW MO

I have to agree with one poster–most of the Hillary haters here aren't capable of typing their post in good English. I am wondering if many of them are school kids who are enjoying writing hateful things for fun.
    At any rate, we need Hillary's guidance in the next 8 years. I pray she will get the nomination, and the presidency.

December 17, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  7. Richmond, VA

"No using "the gender card" going on here…………."
    I can't for the life of me see why any man(i.e. male) would vote for either Clinton. Bill is obviously ruled by women and caters to them all the time. Hillary surrounds herself with women relatives and friends and is very empathetic only to the needs of women. They are both, in fact, very male hostile and 'traditional family' hostile. The do nothing to support men and everything to disenfranchise and subordinate them. What kind of guy votes for this? I'd really like to know!

December 17, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  8. John, Fairfax, VA

Hillary is the greatest, period. All the others combined wouldn't be half as good as she is. But having said all that, this is (mostly) fake. No denying it. Yeah she's a real human with real feelings, but real feelings aren't displayed at the whims of political campaigning.

December 17, 2007 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  9. Jane

Your way right away at Clinton campaign now. I like the motto for Burger King but I prefer my Presidents to be genuine and honest.

December 17, 2007 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  10. Ky, Somerset NJ

Hillary gets emotional? ho ho ha ha ha. She must have learned that from Bill. Has anyone forgotten the crocodile tears that accompanied the proclamation : "I never had any sexual relationship with that woman, Ms ...."?

Are we so dumb to even consider this woman for presidency? I'd rather have Chelsea as president than have this woman as a vice-president. The thing is that Hillary wants this too desperately that she would stop at nothing. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she finally realizes that Americans know what they want in their president. I can't wait to watch her see reality dawn on her. Americans deserve better than trick stars.

Anyone but the Clintons or the Bushes.

May God save America from overambitious people like Hillary.

December 17, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  11. John Halverson DC

if she really wants to make it believable, maybe she shouldn't or her campaign shouldn't announce they are going to do this a week in advance, I wonder if it took this long to well up her tears.

December 17, 2007 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  12. Jack, Fort Worth Texas

She should be crying, because Obama is kicking her butt.

December 17, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  13. robert pyle Floydada,Tx.

It Is beyond me how anyone could vote for a President who's job It Is to protect our nation because he's refreshing . People better wake up and look at who they are voting for. No longer do we live in a peaceful world, or safe country, its turned to be nations of some of the most corrupt leaders alive. I'm not sure any Persident we elect can restrain the likes of Iran ,Russia and North Korea just to name a few. Every terrorist group imaginable would be gunning for the U.S. with a inexperienced President, and frankly I don't feel comfortable with a man who has only two years of political experience under his belt. This is not the time are place to put Senator Obama as commander and chief with such hostile surroundings because Oprah finds him different and exhilarating. I'm not saying our next President will always make the right decisions, but we better have someone with a little grit and nerves of steel to combat all the inevitable disasters that we will encounter. And believe me its not if, its when and how. We better not gamble our future on the Obama and Oprah ticket.

December 17, 2007 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  14. Dane, Columbus, OH

It doesn't help the Clinton campaign that both her and the coldest republican candidate – Romney – decided to mist up and pull the 'I'm a person, too' card on the same day!

December 17, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. Brian, Syracuse, NY

Save your crocodile tears for primary night, Shrillary. The voters don't want a candidate that changes her personality every day to see which appeals to the most people.

December 17, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  16. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

You people are MERCILESS! She's a real person, with real emotions, and wouldn't feel the need to show them if she wasn't being held to this different standard because she is who she is. Give her a break! Face it, people. She's gonna be your next president.

December 17, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  17. Lauren Murfreesboro Tennessee

Who cares that she teared up? THIS IS NOT NEWS.

December 17, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  18. Billy Rubin, Philly PA

Greytmom,

What are you smoking? She's near the BOTTOM when it comes to experience.

Richardson, Dodd, and Biden each have more experience than Hillary, Obama, and Edwards put together!

On Senate term does not equate experience. Hillary has never governed anything in her life. The only executive positions she's held are in real estate and law offices – and we all know how that turned out!

RICHARDSON '08

December 17, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Erik, Dogtown, PA

How many of those who posted here were present at this event? Or are you all certain the CNN description of these so-called tears is entirely accurate? Besides, we're not talking about racking sobs here, people. Ron Paul's a better choice anyway, on either side of the partisan divide.

December 17, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  20. doug ga

What a fake !!!

December 17, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  21. GA

Hillary is never going to win with some of you. If she's strong and confident she's called "cold" but if she shows her softer side she's considered a fake. I am sure that her lifelong friends know a side that the media and nation at large does not know. I believe that is true for all public figures. I also believe that the media can create bias just in the way they report stories and the stories they choose to report. I met Senator Clinton when she visited my state a few months ago, and she was very warm, friendly and interested in connecting with the people in the crowd. She took extra time to sign autographs, take photos with people, and talk to everyone who wanted to talk to her, which really impressed me.

December 17, 2007 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  22. Josh, Kalamazoo Michigan

CNN,

Why do you keep bumping this ticker article to the top above all the others? You have changed the date/time and bumped this article to the top over the last 10 ticker articles. This screams of BIAS!

December 17, 2007 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. Becky, Katy, TX

The Clintons are just too scared too lose. Crying already because you think you're going to lose? Too bad, suck it up Hill.

December 17, 2007 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. John, Charlotte NC

Typical Clinton manipulation of her world to gain more votes. Every move is contrived and scripted based on public opinion.

December 17, 2007 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. Bruce, Fitchburg, Mass.

The only real tears Hillary would shed would be a result of Bubba being neutered – finally. Then she'd cry tears of joy.

December 17, 2007 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |