December 18th, 2007

Clinton gets emotional

The Clinton campaign is aiming to show a softer side of the New York senator.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton got visibly emotional at an Iowa campaign event Monday morning designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator.

Flanked by childhood friends and constituents who each offered testimonials on the Democratic presidential candidate, a glassy-eyed Clinton spoke noticeably softer than most past appearances on the stump.

"It is very exciting for me to have so many of my friends from my entire life who have come out here, to talk with Iowans, to answer questions, to give you some insight and information about our relationships, about what I've been trying to do my entire life, and particularly as an adult," Clinton said at a campaign event in Johnston, Iowa Monday.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” she said later in the event. “You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator."

The event coincides with a new campaign Web site - www.TheHillaryIKnow.com - that includes videos for several friends, colleagues, and constituents of Clinton's speaking on her behalf.

The event and Web site are all part of an effort to convey a softer image of Clinton, as polls continue to indicate Democratic primary voters view her as less likeable and more like a "typical politician" than her chief rival, Barack Obama.

A spokesperson told CNN the site will help round out what caucus-goers don’t know about Clinton. “You want voters to have the fullest portrait of your candidate possible when Election Day comes around and that’s what you’re seeing us doing right now.”

The surrogates from the Web site will be fanning out across Iowa and telling their stories over the next three days on Clinton's "Every Caucus Counts Tour."

Earlier: Clinton campaigns with mother, daughter

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Karl Marx, Das Kapital, Communismland

Give me a break.

December 18, 2007 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  2. Kansas City, KS

OK America, are you ready to be screwed by an president who not only can lie to you lick Bush, but do it better? Well, this is it. What is, it? First you have to figure out what is, is?
    THIS IS LAUGHABLE!!!!!!!!!

December 18, 2007 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  3. colvin Louisville

Ok Senator are you ready for your close up? Cue the tears... tears in 3, 2, 1... ok good... keep um flowing, did we get that shot? are the cameras off? Great job everybody, Senator very believable right on cue, they almost looked real. OK strike the set! How scripted can you get?

December 18, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  4. Ted, Riverhead, NY

We know she gets emotional. She was so emotional when it came time to leave the White House, that she had to take everything with her!!

December 18, 2007 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  5. teddy orlando

You must be kidding me. Hillary will do and say whatever it takes to get elected. It doesnt matter if it is good for the american people. As long as she gets elected that is all she wants wake up you Hillary supportes your candidate is faker than a 3 dollar bill

December 18, 2007 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  6. Steve, NY

And the Oscar goes to.............

December 18, 2007 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  7. BC in Sioux City

This is just pathetic. Does HRC think we are all complete idiots? She is being bashed (rightly so) for going super negative against Obama and has voters commenting on her coldness and viciousness. Then we have a campaign appearance designed SOLELY to show her "softer side" and she **gasp** namages to get "glassy eyed" way to ramp up those emotions!

HRC, please give the electorate a little credit. There is not a more devisive Dem in the field. The Democratic Party and the US need a change.

December 18, 2007 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  8. Greg Kipp

There is no soft side to this micromanaging self centered woman. Her over controlling behaviour has almost everyone nervous, Many of us remember the missing Rose law firms records and the memory lapses to her firing the white house travel employees and having them immediately ejected off of white house property.
    No Hillary its time you took a bow and leave the political arena for the good of the country. I am sure the cnn sensors will delete this post.
    SEMPER FI

December 18, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. Ray, Collingswood NJ

There sure are a lot of ReDUMlicans on here trashing Hillary. My My My, are you that scared of a Women running this Country. So she had a moment. Man, what do you want from her. One day she's to hard, the next day to soft. What the heck do you want from her.

Hillary 08!!

December 18, 2007 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  10. Salita, SC

If this made the news it must have been a slow news day.

December 18, 2007 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  11. Kat, PA

FAKE!!!!!!

December 18, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  12. Anonymous

The problem is the Hilary we know is the one that we don't support. The Hilary we know failed to read the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq, yet still supported the war; now she claims if she had known then what she knows now she wouldn't have supported Bush's and Cheney's war. The Hilary we know keeps taking about 35 years of experience, yet she has served only one full term in office. If I used by husband's experience on my resume, I'd be automatically disqualified for consideration for submitting a fraudulent resume. The Hilary we know totally disregarded the United States Constitution when she voted for the Patriot Act–not once, but twice as she voted for its reauthorization. The Hilary we know talks about being a Washington insider which great influence; if that were the case, then why hasn't she used that influence to get the health care package veto overridden for America's poor children? Saying you have influence and demonstrating you have influence is like night and day. Obviously she doesn't have the influence to get any thing done. She's a junior Senator with nothing to show for year actual paltry few years in the Senate. She has big name recognition, but not for her work, but the work of her husband. So the Hilary we know we don't support.

December 18, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  13. Kat

You know, it never stops! has any of you seen the footage? this is real, everyone of these candidates is stressed, tired and emotional. Sen. clinton has still to miss a vote in the senate, it is stomping every day, that takes a toll. have some respect too. this is not Jimmy Swaggart pleading to the congregation, this is a person that is loved by many and is thankful to see them out there for her. Incredible!

Posted By Danny G. Boca Raton, FL : December 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Danny, first of all, learn correct grammar, spelling and punctuation. Next, if you think ANY of these politicians (left AND right) care about you or your plights, you better pull your head out of the sand. They care about one thing – power. They want it and the only way to get it is to try and sucker us into voting for them. Hillary Clinton is as fake as Mitt Romney, etc., etc. Wake up and smell the coffee. This is a woman that will do anything to be POTUS.

December 18, 2007 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  14. readbtwthlins

Hillary wants us all to be a part of her disfunctional family..

December 18, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  15. Jim St Louis MO

I'll be crying if she gets elected:-(

December 18, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  16. RJ, SV, AZ

*whispers* "So do I cry now? No? But they just said...oh...now? Got the ammonia ready? We won't have very long to smear it under my eyes."

December 18, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  17. anon New York, NY

Her eyes are programmed to consult with a pollster before tearing up.

December 18, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  18. Justin, NE

"All over the world for a woman's intelligence and smartness is undervalued by society in different ways. Hillary suffers same reason. It's not she doesn't has soft side; matriarchal society hates women who tend to be strong.

Hillary is 200% times better than any democrat and republican but matters of her gender that's all.

Hillary for president'08!"

Is this English?^^

December 18, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  19. Joan, Chicago IL

Man, it gives me a chill to see what a chameleon this woman is. She'll be anything that she thinks anyone wants her to be, as long as she thinks it will help her agenda.

As much as I'd love a female president, I'm not willing to sacrifice integrity for gender in the next person sitting in the oval office. Those of you who are so hungry for a woman president, have you REALLY looked at her leadership skills? Is she REALLY the woman you want in the White House? Or are you simply willing to sacrifice everything else that is important for that position just to be able to say MADAM president?

Sure the campaign trail is tough – physically and emotionally. But does anyone think it's a coincidence that her tears come with a day or two of Obama catching her in the polls in Iowa?

Scary........

December 18, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  20. Mitch, IA

"I try to not fall for the media-spin on this stuff, but I can't help but think the whole "visibly emotional" thing is just a charade. If her campaign managers told her to be firm and stoic, then that's exactly what we'd see. I want a politician who is genuine and authentic. For me, that person is Obama."

I think I'm forced to agree with Lisa (for the most part). I am a huge supporter of Senator Clinton and her husband, but can't seem to wrap my support around the "soft side" stuff. I'm sure she has a softer side, I'm just wishing it all wasn't so choreographed. Be yourself Hillary, that all we want.

Regarding Obama, there is nothing genuine about him. He wants to be President of the United States and isn't willing to pay his dues first. Don't buy the load of crap he's trying to sell.

December 18, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  21. Ron Larson Duluth, MN

Ahhh yes...time for the "warm and fuzzy side" of Hillary. I was wondering when she would be "introduced" in this capacity. You trained her well Bill.

December 18, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. Lynn

Oh pleeze, she cannot erase her past,
    she is the biggest fraud on the planet!
    To bring these phonies on the stage, shows she is desperate, does she think we are naive, out here.
    As the men rightly say, "She reminds them of their ex-wife."

December 18, 2007 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  23. Lee M, Egg Harbor NJ

She and Mitt Romney ought to get together for a phony cry-fest on television perhaps.

However they will never eclipse Jimmy Swaggert's display back many years ago. That was one for the ages!

December 18, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. Bucher

The only thing she's proving to me is that she should be an actress. Perhaps Fred Thompson can get her a job when she loses in the primary?

December 18, 2007 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  25. ABB

I must admit, the republican administration will leave us one unforgettable legacy...the nasty and ugly division of this country that they have propogated. The comments of some of these folks are downright disgusting, and those people still seem to enjoy attacking "non-believers" with hateful comments. Remember the days when this country was at least attempting to work together? I've seen many postings claiming that "liberals" are the enemy! Now thatkind of comment is pathetic, and should be something to be VERY concerned about.

December 18, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |