December 18th, 2007

Clinton gets emotional

The Clinton campaign is aiming to show a softer side of the New York senator.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton got visibly emotional at an Iowa campaign event Monday morning designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator.

Flanked by childhood friends and constituents who each offered testimonials on the Democratic presidential candidate, a glassy-eyed Clinton spoke noticeably softer than most past appearances on the stump.

"It is very exciting for me to have so many of my friends from my entire life who have come out here, to talk with Iowans, to answer questions, to give you some insight and information about our relationships, about what I've been trying to do my entire life, and particularly as an adult," Clinton said at a campaign event in Johnston, Iowa Monday.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” she said later in the event. “You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator."

The event coincides with a new campaign Web site - www.TheHillaryIKnow.com - that includes videos for several friends, colleagues, and constituents of Clinton's speaking on her behalf.

The event and Web site are all part of an effort to convey a softer image of Clinton, as polls continue to indicate Democratic primary voters view her as less likeable and more like a "typical politician" than her chief rival, Barack Obama.

A spokesperson told CNN the site will help round out what caucus-goers don’t know about Clinton. “You want voters to have the fullest portrait of your candidate possible when Election Day comes around and that’s what you’re seeing us doing right now.”

The surrogates from the Web site will be fanning out across Iowa and telling their stories over the next three days on Clinton's "Every Caucus Counts Tour."

Earlier: Clinton campaigns with mother, daughter

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Anonymous

Surprising that from her college radical left origins Hillary is not vehement about immigration and industries moving their manufacturing operations to Asia. Immigration is all about exploitation and as a socialist Hillary should be speaking loudly about multinational corporations in the U.S. exploiting Mexicans and other Lations for low wage, no benefit, no retirement, jobs here in the U.S. That immigrants are pushing American economic status down and will lead ultimately to the povertization of the United States. Or maybe that is what Hillary wants- a worker's paradise where we are all working for meger wages of "the man" like in the former soviet states. The big box stores are the plantations of the new mellenium. We- white, yellow, black, and red are becoming the chattel of the corporate plantation owners.

December 18, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. The Great William Wallace

"I am woman. Hear me sob?"

Sorry. I'm not buying it. Maybe out of someone else, but not out of this woman. Nothing, NOTHING associated with the Clintons is ever unscripted or accidental.

December 18, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  3. Michael R. Albuquerque/Portland/Seattle

Tears, the COUNTRY is crying out loud for CHANGE – we can no longer be the
    UNITED STATES of CORPORATE AMERICA –

Time for real CHANGE – OBAMA 2008!

December 18, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. Michael R Albuquerque/Portland/Seattle

For those who need a reason to vote AGAINST HILLARY – look to oh 10 to 20 reasons, starting with all the cover-up
    from the stock trades to the dirty deals – GO OBAMA!!!

December 18, 2007 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. Marko, Chicago IL

So all these years of being a "tough as nails" woman and 2 weeks before the Iowa caucus we're supposed to believe she is "soft". Ha!

December 18, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. timincal

She already has a Grammy.Is she trying for the Emmy's and Oscar's too.What a fake and a fraud.She is without a doubt the most dangerous person in America.Doesn't ANYBODY remember that she started out as a Republican?
    She campaigned for Sen. Everret Dirksen of Illinois.
    She is so much in the hand of the Communist Chinese government that she should be wearing the Mao suit that they all used to wear before they became "westernized". Actually that is what those pants suits she wears all the time reminds me of.

December 18, 2007 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. Chip Celina OH

What a hack! Through all of the attacks leveled by her campaign on Obama, he has remained unflappable, upright and steadfast. Contrast that to her walking around like a lunatic, changing tack every day at the wimsy of the polls or rumors in the media. What a sideshow!

Have a great day!

December 18, 2007 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  8. Bill, Montgomery AL

If Hillary gets elected, she won 't be the only one emotional!! The whole country will be after she and Billary reveal their true selves!! Get ready to take it in the shorts, America! Just bend over!

December 18, 2007 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. Jose Card

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” – Hillary.

That is the big problem. A president has to help the nation, not just somebody poor or a lobbyist.

Perhaps Hillary will do a great job working for Red Cross or being a first lady again.

Being a leader requires a clear and fair mind for all. Giving taxpayers' money away isn't helping. Helping somebody get off their feet and start walking again is real help.

If you don't have a vision for the country and you concentrate on individuals to help, you don't fit to be president. That is due to the lack of executive experience.

Hillary doesn't know the difference in job functions between the first lady and the president.

Hillary might have done her senate job the same way – helping somebody every day, and that may be the reason why she is not a significant senator. In essence, she doesn't know how to lead people.

December 18, 2007 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  10. HillaryNotAGoodIdeaForPrez

Women, women, women. It's because she's a woman. I play basketball and I'll tell you that if you show emotion your opponent will attack that because they see that you're the weak link. I'll apply this to the elections, if you show emotions or show a sign of weakness you'll get attacked. Hillary she cried and tried to seem like an american Mother Teresa by saying "What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator." Foreign people (especially those Radical muslim fools that already have no respct for women) will see that she is the weak link if she shows weakness she lets the whole team down. Why because that leaves the team(America) open for attack.I'm not sexist I just don't think a woman is a good choice at this time, because of our present president at the time has made us enemies with the middle east.

December 18, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  11. Nita - SA - TX

Leo you are absolutely right. "I am certainly no Hillary hater and I really don't like seeing these 'extreme' posts against her. All they do is make those who love her, love her even more." If you wish to get negative toward Hillary then show some evidence. Talk policies, issues, etc – yeah but not Obama. He's all scripted. Anyone but OBAMA. 2nd Choice – BIDEN.

December 18, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. David, Gilbert Arizona

I don't have a problem with Hillary having friends that care about her. I don't have a problem with Hillary having a softer side either. What I do find disingenuous about this event is that Hillary has to make a public display of her softer side. That's what makes the entire episode appear contrived, that she held an event specifically to show she can cry on queue.

What I find most fake about the entire Hillary campaign is her supporters. I read post after post about Hillary's compassion and that she is a woman making history. That entire mindset is a crock when you compare Hillary Clinton with Elizabeth Dole.

Elizabeth has worked in two different administrations as Secretary of Transportation and as Secretary of Labor. Elizabeth has spent years advocating the Red Cross and Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Mrs. Dole is currently a Senator from North Carolina. If anyone has or had the most experience to be President of the United States it was Elizabeth Dole. And yet Mrs. Dole had to pull out of the race for President because of lack of support. So where were all the women wanting a woman president then? And you all decide to choose Hillary instead, that Hillary is a wonderful woman? How much further from the truth can you get?

You people touting a great woman president really missed the boat on that one. It makes the entire woman president argument comical to the point of hillarity.

December 18, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. RightyTighty

Hillary doesn't wear her religion on her shirt sleeve because that's reserved for her emotions..

December 18, 2007 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Steve, NY, NY

spare me. this is so obviously a planned strategy.

December 18, 2007 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. Doug, New Jersey

I love how the lib-bots have been programmed by Moore-on.org.

If one says something negative about Hillary, then they are a sexist!!!

If one says something negative about Obama, then they are a racist!!!

Ask yourself why the libs do things like this? It is obvious that they don't want to debate, they want to silence anyone who is not marching lock step to their ideology by calling people sexist and racist. They don't want you to know that they are out to take away your freedoms and money with their quasi-socialism agenda.

When you hear the lib then talk about Craig, Rice, and Ann Coulter, you see that the words of homophobic, racist, and sexist that they try to call republicans and others who think for themselves, really applies to the lib more so than the people they are hating on for simply thinking for themsleves, which as the facts show is the most anti-liberal thing a person can do.

December 18, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. Jimenez

Hillary is a great leader. She is intelligent and strong and has awesome leadership skills. She will make a great president and is a great role model for young women. Go Hillary!!!

December 18, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. jj, statesville, nc

Don't know if we need to see that side.
    Keep it covered.

December 18, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. Eileen, New York, NY

Of course Hillary is "cold and calculated." Can you imagine the reaction if she showed emotion? She'd never be in office. She'd be seen as "hysterical."

Does anyone talk about male candidates being cold? If this was a man, he'd probably be seen as running a very smart campaign.

She managed to win over the votes of upstate New York Republicans, and let me tell you, that's not easy. She did it through tireless research, meeting personally with people.

There's a lot of people who can't stand the Clinton's, but there's a lot of people who are very loyal to them. I'm in between, but I know one thing. I was payed more for the same job 10 years ago than I am payed now. I can't afford insurance. I can't afford my rent. And I'm not even poor, I'm middle-class. I'm not handing my vote over to anyone immediately, I'll let them fight it out. I think Hillary can handle it.

Regardless of who is the next president, Republican or Democrat, it can only go up from here, so cheer up folks, the long wait is ending, Bush is finally leaving. ANYTHING is better than him. Even Republicans are hearing the message of global warming now. Could it be we all have some needs in common?

December 18, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  19. lianette

All I can say is that Hillary is doing a very good job on her campaign. Hillary shows her commitment, determination for change. Hillary's experienced and knowledge are showing every time I see her talk on her campaign. People get to know you already Mrs. clinton. They are seeing it. You are there for us to rebuild this country that we love so much. I am looking forward to the first woman president of the United States of America.

December 18, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  20. Randolph Monroe, Chicago

Save the tears until after Iowa Hillary, America sees right through you.

Obama 08

December 18, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. A Voter in N.Y.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,”
    And every day it is herself that she comes up with. Todays way to help herself was to shed some tears to make herself look compassionate because she has the air of a self centered, self serving, lying politician.
    If it walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, it swims like a duck, it's a duck.
    Todays polls show she is the #1 anti choice person around for president. meaning, that more people will vote against her than any other candidate.

Thanks America, I was beginning to think people were falling for her transparent attempts to use us for her own ends AGAIN.

ANYONE BUT HILLARY '08

December 18, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. paul m, east providence, ri

how the world has changed. When Muskie cried in New Hampshire, he put himself out of contention but today we embrace both Clinton and Romney for their emotional responses. Who will cry next?

December 18, 2007 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. Chip Celina OH

She teared up, because she had family and loved ones share lovely things about her. How does that make her or it fake. You people are so harsh on here, when most of you only hate her because shes a strong women get over it.

The big 'show' and fake part was having a parade of all of these folks from your past talking about how nice you are. Where's Art Linkletter at? He should have been called to host this episode of "This is Your Life."

I don't hate her because she's a strong women (shouldn't that be singular?), I don't like her because she and her husband go around lying day after day and expect people to believe them. That's an insult to everyone's intelligence (if, indeed they possess some).

Those not lucid enough to catch on continue to express views such as the following:

Have a great day!

December 18, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. JJ YAPO

What a MASQUERADE !!! Once again the Clintonites are showing that they are nothing but political animals. And tehrefore take us for infants who could be manipulated and moved by mere crocodile tears- Seeing Hillary crying makes me sick— I feel for her friends- With friends like Hillary and Bill you don't need enemies. I hope the Clintonites learn the hard way that WE, the People already know- Their acts are from the old book. Comes Jan 3rd we'll make them regret to try to play us for a sucker

December 18, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. J Houston, TX

Dear IHNCNH,

It's time to put down the pipe kid. How pathetic is it that people have to resort to "If you don't vote for Obama, you're a bigot." Yeah, that's not a "fear" tactic of it's own type. Next up, not agreeing with Al Sharpton will be "racist."

December 18, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |