December 18th, 2007

Clinton gets emotional

The Clinton campaign is aiming to show a softer side of the New York senator.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton got visibly emotional at an Iowa campaign event Monday morning designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator.

Flanked by childhood friends and constituents who each offered testimonials on the Democratic presidential candidate, a glassy-eyed Clinton spoke noticeably softer than most past appearances on the stump.

"It is very exciting for me to have so many of my friends from my entire life who have come out here, to talk with Iowans, to answer questions, to give you some insight and information about our relationships, about what I've been trying to do my entire life, and particularly as an adult," Clinton said at a campaign event in Johnston, Iowa Monday.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” she said later in the event. “You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator."

The event coincides with a new campaign Web site - www.TheHillaryIKnow.com - that includes videos for several friends, colleagues, and constituents of Clinton's speaking on her behalf.

The event and Web site are all part of an effort to convey a softer image of Clinton, as polls continue to indicate Democratic primary voters view her as less likeable and more like a "typical politician" than her chief rival, Barack Obama.

A spokesperson told CNN the site will help round out what caucus-goers don’t know about Clinton. “You want voters to have the fullest portrait of your candidate possible when Election Day comes around and that’s what you’re seeing us doing right now.”

The surrogates from the Web site will be fanning out across Iowa and telling their stories over the next three days on Clinton's "Every Caucus Counts Tour."

Earlier: Clinton campaigns with mother, daughter

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. BR-New York City

"I could respect people alot more if they just came right out and said they personally don't want a woman in the White House instead of launching criticism about everything the woman does."

Posted By HILLARYLOVER, NY, NY : December 17, 2007 4:55 pm

I personally don't want this woman to be president. There! now I' said it...

December 18, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. BR-New York City

"The libs here who are talking about how she is human and have a heart are exactly the type of people who car salesmen dream of at night.

Nah, I don't buy it at all, these libs are just as mean, cold, heart-less, selfish, and rude as she is, but then again that is what it means to be a democrat these days. Just spend some time in a real blue area like Boston or NYC, then go to the middle of the nation in some nice red area. Observe how people treat you in both places, then decide your vote on that. If you do so let me just say thanks for voting republican." 🙂

Posted By Doug, New Jersey : December 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Hey Doug...since when did N.J. become a "Red State?" Boy, the republicans sure are smart about their politics.

December 18, 2007 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Ray, New Brunswick, NJ

The question becomes, Why is it important for Hillary to let us know that friends and family support her what value does this bring to bear? I mean really isn't that what friends and family are suppose to do? – Ok now for this scene I want you to mention the time I saved your pathetic life and....ACTION!

December 18, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. JD, Syracuse, NY

Hillary is a nice compassonate human being....one good quality, among others, to be the next president.

December 18, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Doug, New Jersey

"Hey Doug…since when did N.J. become a "Red State?" Boy, the republicans sure are smart about their politics."

? Oh wait I see, I never said NJ was a red state but since you are a liberal democrat you cannot resist the urge to lie about me and claim I said it. Jesus is to some Republicans what lies and dishonesty is to a majority of liberal democrats like you. Sorry, I'll side with the religious over the hateful, dishonest, socialist lib scum.

December 18, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  6. Tevin, Raleigh NC

If I was a Republican, I'd dream of running against Hillary! She's self-destructing!

December 18, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

C'mon Clintonistas,

It's not because we men are afraid of Hillary the woman getting more power. It's because she scripted a tear on demand that makes us laugh at her attempt to show her human side.

Why does she even have to show her human side? When have we ever seen Clinton cry. She didn't cry when her husband was cheating.

So the one time she picks to cry on national television is when she is hurting in the polls and needs to show her softer side; hence, the reason people call her a phony.

It has nothing to do with being sexist. Please posts before calling people sexist for complaining about her being a phoney.

Superimposing your own false ideas on the truth is HRC does to create something out of nothing as a smoke screen. It seems the die hard Clintonistas that come on here to defend her scripted tears have indeed graduated from Clinton 101 as well.

Give Billary Clinton his/her due; they have their die hard base actually believing their own drivel.

Hahahahahahah! Dolts.

December 18, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

Dang Doug, Ding.

After considering your comment, I realized there is some truth to it. Not entirely sure about the reason why so I'll have to give that some more thought. Nice, interresting post. Good job.

Posted by Doug,

"See BR I live in an area that is 85% lib so I know what your ilk is all about. I have also lived in red areas too, so I know what they are about. The more red an area, the better the people are, the more kind, caring, unselfish and giving they are. It has nothing to do with religion, liberal democrats for the most part are nasty, mean, hateful, selfish, dishonest people. You seem like the average NYC lib, for your sake I hope that those bible belters are wrong about there being a god."

December 18, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. S in Texas

Greg in Phoenix, AZ– Your post is the worst one here, and I've not even read all of them! You need to be careful making such horrible accusations about anyone you do not know personally. Do you know of a horrendous act Hillary has committed for you to call her evil or do you just lack intelligence? Go to confession.

December 18, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Tom Dedham, Mass

Had the comments been impromptu and Hillary caught off guard by these comments at an event not by design then the situation would be much different. Instead the event is staged and choreographed, which makes it come across very fake.

And for those saying it is gender bias to hold this against her because she is a woman, you are working off of a false accusation. I have the same opinion of Mitt when he said he cried as well. Friends and family, as well as religious faith, are very personal private issues. To make a public display for the benefit of gaining votes is to devalue those personal issues. It all comes across as contrived and phony.

Posted By David, Gilbert Arizona : December 18, 2007 1:48 pm

I agree with your first point totally David, it was a planned and purposeful event for her to SHOW EMOTION.

The Romney point is a little different as he was responding to an unscripted question and was totally off the cuff.

Could it have been done on purpose, yes, it could have, but he had NO idea the question was coming so he could get the benefit of the doubt if you were so inclined.

Her campaign admits that they are using a STATEGY to make her seem softer.

It'a a little different.

December 18, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Shawn, New York, NY

Please note, CNN, that beginning with this story, the next 7 stories posted are either pro-Hillary, or relating to an attack from a Hillary supporter against another candidate. It would be nice if you would at least pretend others are running for the nomination and give them a little coverage.

December 18, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. Doug, New Jersey

There are still some very good liberals around but they are very few and far between.

What once was the ideology of peace and love is now the most hateful ideology America has to offer.

Liberals in blue areas pretend that the rest of the nation is filled with bible thumpers who want all gays killed and want to force feed their religion upon every American. The reality is that these people in the middle of the nation are the most kind, thoughtful, fair, honest, and giving people ANY nation has ever had.

I hate religion but I'll side with the religious right since the hate that defines most liberal Democrats is the most disgusting part of America today. Hillary really does seem to be the candidate of the hateful lib, although the fact that John Edwards has destroyed the lives of many people with frivolous lawsuits is awfully attractive to the average liberal Democrat. Most of them love to see someone who has worked hard have their money taken for no honest reason, and have the recipient be some druggie, liar who doesn’t deserve one cent of it. Also, the biggest racists in America are liberal whites against white people, if you have attended a North East University then you already know that. Just remember some libs are great people, to say they all are the same is being awfully lib yourself.

December 18, 2007 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Bob, Brunswick, Georgia

Posted by Doug,

Having lived in upstate NY, so-called "Hillary Country" and in the "red state" South, I have to agree with your comments.

People in blue states are so negative about everything. Conspiracies are everywhere, the government is no good, the world is coming to an end, and anyone who makes a buck or two is the devil himself!

I think it is because they smoke too much pot.

December 18, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. Rosie, NYC, NY

Seriously.. Hilary wants America to foot the bill because Bill cheated on her.

Folks, let’s all cheat on our partners and promise them the Presidency as a consolation price when they threaten to leave us, and then make the American people pay for our lust by voting our partners in office.

When we realize that the American people is not buying in, let’s train them to cry to get the American people to vote for them out of pity…

December 18, 2007 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  15. myohmyohinohio

It's funny how the VERY FIRST post on this story sort of sums it up perfectly.

December 18, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  16. Chris, Houston TX

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    (REPEAT)

December 18, 2007 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. Jose Card

I wish Dr. Condeleezza Rice would run for president some day as Hillary is giving women a really bad name.

Hillary has no idea what intelligence or leadership is. Bill and Hillary are nothing but snake-oil sales force in D.C. They are the laughing stock of America and I am not even Republican.

December 19, 2007 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  18. Mario Uy Streamwood IL

Boy, this is better than watching Desperate Housewives. At least Hillary can act. No offense, Teri Hatcher. Ouch!

December 19, 2007 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  19. John

I agree with Tom Dedham; Romney's question was not planned and the tears were not scripted, we've all gotten emotional about our religion at some time.

ROMNEY 2008!!!

December 19, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. RightyTighty

Hillary makes me proud to be a Republican, and a man..

December 19, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Beth & Jeff Chicago, IL - HILLARY IN 2008

🙂 WE SUPPORT HILLARY '08

She's the only one who can "roll up her sleeves and clean up the mess" left by the GOP — NOT dreamer boy!!

Or vote Biden or Richardson b/c God save our country if the newbie gets elected – who isn't even wise enough to realize what he DOESN'T KNOW yet; let alone play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey in the Oval Office –> He clearly could have waited until 2012 or 2016. He's only 47, but he's such a baby that he's demanding to be King now 🙁 Sadly the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Senator Obama is certainly NOT!! AND Oprah should stick with her own life and hawking her Book Club (which she can't even get right all the time either).

Senator Obama wants to raise the minimum age (again) to receive maximum Social Security benefits! Have not our parents and our elders waited long enough?! How long will we have to wait??

AND NO MORE having to explain to our children – why it's (NOT) OKAY for the President Of Our Nation to do drugs!! It's time to take back our country and make America proud again.

JUST SAY NO – TO OBAMA IN '08 🙁

ps – to all the anti-Hillary club members here PLZ go play on your own sites, it seems you are turning off potential voters and Independents for ALL CANDIDATES by your constant trivial & trite drivel. Do you all pat yourselves on the back at the end of the day for a job well done?! Do you EVEN have jobs? Highly doubtful...

December 20, 2007 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  22. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

ron, ct, have you met Hillary and heard what she wants from her? Or are you a prognosticator? Please read her book, LIVING HISTORY first, If I am not sure I wouldn't speak.

December 20, 2007 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  23. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

RightyTighty, now you know how powerful and brilliant Hillary is, Hillary made me to be proud of Democrat. Thanks.

December 20, 2007 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  24. Mark Cooney

I loved the "I try to make time for those SPECIAL things...like exercise...and PIZZA".
    my god!

What a sad display of desperatly appealing for the youth vote!

pathetic.

January 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  25. Mavis williams

Cry Hilary Cry!! anyone with a human heart has cried at some point in their life. That's what 's wrong with our country. If this country had enough people that cried and had real human emotions we wouldn't have wars and so much violence. Is this God's country or man's? Men aren't as hard as they claim.

January 7, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |