December 18th, 2007

Clinton gets emotional

The Clinton campaign is aiming to show a softer side of the New York senator.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton got visibly emotional at an Iowa campaign event Monday morning designed to showcase a softer side of the New York senator.

Flanked by childhood friends and constituents who each offered testimonials on the Democratic presidential candidate, a glassy-eyed Clinton spoke noticeably softer than most past appearances on the stump.

"It is very exciting for me to have so many of my friends from my entire life who have come out here, to talk with Iowans, to answer questions, to give you some insight and information about our relationships, about what I've been trying to do my entire life, and particularly as an adult," Clinton said at a campaign event in Johnston, Iowa Monday.

"What I try to do every day is figure out how to help somebody,” she said later in the event. “You can try to help somebody every single day, and I’ve tried to do that as a public servant, as an activist, and now as a senator."

The event coincides with a new campaign Web site - www.TheHillaryIKnow.com - that includes videos for several friends, colleagues, and constituents of Clinton's speaking on her behalf.

The event and Web site are all part of an effort to convey a softer image of Clinton, as polls continue to indicate Democratic primary voters view her as less likeable and more like a "typical politician" than her chief rival, Barack Obama.

A spokesperson told CNN the site will help round out what caucus-goers don’t know about Clinton. “You want voters to have the fullest portrait of your candidate possible when Election Day comes around and that’s what you’re seeing us doing right now.”

The surrogates from the Web site will be fanning out across Iowa and telling their stories over the next three days on Clinton's "Every Caucus Counts Tour."

Earlier: Clinton campaigns with mother, daughter

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. joe ahdamyiah, iraq

boooooo! hillary, booooooo! booooooo! what a phony! the longer she has to campaign, the more her chances go down as people remember her for what she's really like! boooooooo! hillary, booooooooooo!

December 17, 2007 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. Katy

Hillary tries to help someone every day. Isnt that special. But she's innocent of all the character attacks and allegations she has put out there against Obama. He has been put in a position of defending her good deeds against him every day for weeks. Poor Hillary.

December 17, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. r sisk, nevada

NOTE TO MANY OF YOU NEW TO THE TICKER.

MANY OF THESE HATE POSTS ARE FROM THE SAME PEOPLE WHO ATTACK EVERY CLINTON STORY. THEY HAVE PROBABLY BEEN HIRED BY HUCKABEE OR THE GOP AND I DOUBT MANY HAVE FINISHED JR. HIGH SCHOOL. (VICKY FROM N.Y.)

Clinton will be the democrats best chance for the White House and most of us with a brain agree she is the most qualified. Obama, not ready yet but will one day make a great president. Sorry Oprah.

I would only hope if I were in her shoes that I had lifelong friends who would go the extra mile for me as Hillary's friends are doing now. This speaks volumes of a persons character. Go Hillary.

December 17, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. S/Texas

You people need to just shut up! No matter what this woman does you have a negative opinion about her. She's either to hard and now she's too soft, blah, blah, blah. In case you all don't know, people are emotional beings. Because a woman cries doesn't mean she's weak or looking for pity. Even a strong woman tears up when talking about something that means a lot to her and is close to their heart. It’s called being human! At least she's not made out of stone and doesn’t lack compassion and empathy for others. To me, people that are afraid or "cannot" show human emotion are just cold hearted and self centered. I stay away from those types of people. I want a president that cares about people, and I believe Hillary does. Unlike Obama who just wants to be president to "prove" that he can do it. You want to talk about phony? That's Edwards and Obama!

December 17, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  5. JB T F ID

An the Oscar goes to...... anybody?? Hilary Clinton....TEARS give me a break you don't have a heart

December 17, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. Tom Joffee

It was very good to see the "CHARITY BELLS RING FOR CNN'S CROWLEY" aricle in U.S. News. To my mind she is one of the very few CNN staff worthy of listening to, and I was most impressed to read of her support for The Salvation Army and its gathering of "Bell Ringers" who, if noticed, are "dissed" by most of the general public and media folks.

December 17, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Kucinich's wife would make a better president. Hellary is a corporate frontperson and the only Dem who can lose this election. Fellow Dems, please vote for someone else.

December 17, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Karen M Spence Mill Valley, CA

How come no one has said they want to see "the softer side" of Fred Thompson?

If she did stage a crying scene in order to show her "softer side" it's only because, as the article states, Americans want to see it. So what? Trying to appeal to voters is news?

December 17, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. chip o, eagle, co

My wife got pulled over for speeding last week and she cried. It worked. She got a warning ticket. Most of America is not that stupid.

December 17, 2007 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. Nancy, IA

I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

December 17, 2007 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. Bill, Montgomery AL

Ah, you mean she's human, or is this playing to the polls again? I don't trust her no further than I could throw her. Whichever way the polls are blowing!

December 17, 2007 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. Kmm, CA

I wonder whether she is crying because her friends are present or because she knows she is going to lose in Iowa?

December 17, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

This is an EVIL person.

December 17, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. JB Boston MA

The timing on this is interesting.

Mitt Romney teared up yesterday on MTP. He gets good press.

Hillary does it today! Can she be any more calculated and full of BS!

December 17, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. Pat, Fernandina Beach, Florida

Regardless of the Republican posters, Hillary still has a lot of respect among voters. Some believe whatever the manipulated polls dictate to them. Poor things.

December 17, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. harold

Beingn a former republican like Hilliary is, it would be good to show some facts regarding wHAT she is trying to do for people in contrast to the cold , less concerned republican demeanor types...only concerned with their money!

December 17, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. David

WOLF
    WOLF
    WOLF

SHE IS A WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING

GET AWAY FROM HER AS FAST AS YOU CAN

December 17, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. JW, LA CA

I am gay. I am HIV positive. I am a Democrat and I live in Los Angeles.

I agree with those saying she doesn't come across as sincere. I voted for Clinton, I voted for Kerry, I voted for Gore.

I will never vote for Hillary. She is one of the most insincere people I've ever seen in the political arena. Few politicians have the solidly tin ear for voters that she has shown in this campaign.

Obama, Edwards, Richardson, Biden, even McCain or Giuliani... I can live with those.

Anybody but Hillary in 2008. Please.

December 17, 2007 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. Tim, Seattle, WA

Who is running her campaign? They are doing a great job for Barack. Keep up the good work! I saw Barack speak in Seattle last week. He was very inpsiring and actually gave me hope that he could take the country down a different path. It is frightening the one we are on now and no one besides Barack and Edwards gives me hope.

If Hillary won, I don't think I could vote for her. I find her that despicable. She is no different than what we have now. She changes her views like the wind and is driven by nothing but her own ambition.

December 17, 2007 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. Brittany, Bettendorf, Iowa

As a woman, this is not the woman we want. She is just not genuine and honest. Her experience is not there either. I will take Obama any day over Hillary.

December 17, 2007 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. j Bruce

Iowa please do not nominate hillary... make sure she comes in third. If she is nominated the GOP will win in landslide!!!!!

December 17, 2007 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. Mike, Toronto, Ontario

Hilary to Bill: Mitt's crying, can I cry too? Bill: Sure honey-but make a real gusher.

December 17, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  23. harold

You take the republican types...who are cold...hoover style during the depression years...no government involovment to save you from starvation...and its still the same today with those cold hearted republican types...

Who of the republican boys running for prez is going to be concerned with the average person? None of the boys at all...none of them have a soft personallity..not one!

December 17, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  24. R.H. California

Hillary Clinton is my future president

December 17, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  25. Bob, Hillary is terrible, The state that hates Hillary(everywhere)

nice acting job....barf what a joke.

December 17, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |