December 21st, 2007

'Super Tuesday' presidential debates in California

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The top Democratic and Republican presidential contenders will be invited to appear in nationally televised debates in California less than one week before "Super Tuesday," CNN, The Los Angeles Times, and Politico announced Friday.

The California debates, which will be broadcast on CNN, will take place in a delegate rich state that both Republican and Democratic White House hopefuls are mining for votes and campaign cash.

It will be the final time the candidates appear together on the same stage before February 5 when 23 states hold presidential nominating contests.

Republicans will appear at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley on January 30. Former first lady Nancy Reagan has personally informed candidates that they will be invited if they are frontrunners.

The California Democratic Party has sanctioned the Democratic debate, which will take place January 31 in Los Angeles. CNN, the Los Angeles Times, and Politico are organizing these historic events.

The three media organizations said candidates will be invited if they place in one of the top four spots in an early voting state, and receive at least 5 percent in either a California survey conducted by the organizers or any one of 10 nationally identified media sponsored polls in January.

Organizers will determine Democratic eligibility based upon the Democratic National Committee's early calendar schedule that includes Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina. For Republicans, the list of possible contests includes: Iowa, Wyoming, New Hampshire, Michigan, Nevada, South Carolina, and Florida.

In addition to a CNN/Los Angeles Times/Politico survey of California voters, the media organizations said other polls they will use to determine eligibility include: CNN, Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg, The New York Times, CBS, USA Today/Gallup, NBC/Wall Street Journal, FOX/Opinion Dynamics, Washington Post/ABC, TIME, or Newsweek.

Filed under: Presidential Debates
  1. Mark Wilson

I would like to attend the Democratic Debates in Los Angeles on January 31, 2008. How can I get tickets or get on a list to be part of the audience. Anyone?

January 21, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  2. John Brady

That thing about Romney being a flip -flopper. Maybe there is something in the water up there in MA. John Kerry seemed to have a flip -flopper problem. Oh, he did'nt become President either. How gosh !

January 21, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  3. Laurel from L.A.

How do I get tickets for the LA democratic debate Jan.31st?

January 22, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  4. Liz

I hope Wolf won't be hosting this one. It appears that he has a habit of cutting off candidates from speaking if he doesn't like them, and the clock doesn't exist if he approves of them. Is there any way to make these debates fair and ethical?
    (AC seems to do a better job monitoring these debates).

January 22, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. Luke Davis

CNN = Exclusion

Why the heck are Gravel and Kucinich not invited? They're not "serious" or something? You'd think that after over a year of campaigning, they'd be taken seriously.

CNN, you disgust me.

January 23, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  6. Mary C. Johnson

Although it seems unlikely that Dennis Kucinich could win the Democratic nomination for President, I appreciate his stands on important issues like Iraq, Iran, and universal health care. I would very much see him be included in the debates so that his views may be aired.

January 23, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. Kathryn

After researching the Rezko/Obama relationship from 1990 to the present, I am greatly concerned about their personal and professional relationship. Let's forget about the land deal involving Rezko and Obama's personal residence in Chicago. What really concerned me was that Obama (while in private practice) appears to have acted as a lobbyist on behalf of Rezko. Obama's actions consisted of writing letters to government officials on Rezko's behalf requesting they approve using $14 million of tax payer's money to help finance one of Rezko's land development projects. This article was originally published in the Chicago Sun Times. Further, Rezko's various companies have given quite alot of money to Obama's presidential campaign. This is not the "change" this country needs.

January 23, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Narayan

I will be very upset if Ron Paul is denied the chance to participate in this debate because Nancy Reagan thinks he's not a "front runner".

January 23, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. shelley trent

How can we get tickets to the democratic debate in hollywood? Shouldn't the public be allowed to go?

January 23, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  10. Due Diligence

CNN – YOU do NOT decide WHO we the Voters want to hear!

Our Country is facing an economic crisis of historic proportions and you want to limit which Candidates running for the Office of President of the United States of America will be heard by the Citizens of this Nation?

I think you need to reconsider and make sure that every Candidate who is still running for President is included in both debates.

They are all Candidates for the highest office in the land – and I want to hear what every single one of them has to say.

January 23, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  11. Ryan

It is too late to get a ticket. The deadline to request for one to be included into the lottery for tickets was today at 12pm. Now, the only people going will be invitees by the candidates and winners of the lottery.

January 24, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  12. Slolearner

Duh, Of course Ron Paul will be there! He has beat Rudy three times now and took second in Nevada as previously stated above. However it is strange that CNN TV has stopped covering Paul?

Here are the Nevada State results (since it is not being reported by media):

Republicans | Polls | County Results
    Candidate Votes % of votes Delegates won Projected winner
    Mitt Romney 22,649 51% 17
    Ron Paul 6,087 14% 4
    John McCain 5,651 13% 4
    Mike Huckabee 3,616 8% 2
    Fred Thompson 3,521 8% 2
    Rudy Giuliani 1,910 4% 1
    Duncan Hunter 890 2% 1
    100% of precincts reporting

January 24, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Pat

Well these jerks aka unAmerican corporatist fascists that run our media have gotten what they were after. Dennis Kucinich has run out of funds and can no longer get his voice out by paying for lawsuits and ads to compete with the 24/7 GLARING, FREE, and UNFAIR coverage given to the corporatist candidates splatttered all over our TV screens.
    Dennis has announced he is dropping out of the Presidential race.

This is not as much a loss to Dennis Kucinich as it is to ALL Americans.
    We should ALL be in deep sorrow that the media can so DEFACE our elections and exert almost complete control over them.

As the guy says when facing the destruction of lives on both sides in Romeo and Juliet:
    "ALL ARE PUNISHED!"

January 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  14. Jay Baker

I need 3 tickets for Thursday nights debate.Please post the ticket process.

January 24, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  15. Carla

Are tickets available for the Republican Debates... If so, how do I obtain ?

January 24, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. joe j kremsky

I live in Burbank and would like to know how I would be able to get admittance to the Kodak Democratic debates? And could you ask questions from the audience? thank you for this opportunity

January 25, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  17. Deven Pandey, LA

I am very much interested in attending the upcoming Democratic debate to be held in Kodak theatre. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Deven

January 25, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. chickc

I'd like to attend the Debate at the Kodak Theatre on Jan 31st (primarily because I'm undecided and would like gain a more personalized insight as to who really has our best interests at heart). Where do I go to submit my name? Thanks.

January 25, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  19. dave isaac

I hear CNN will be covering the next kentucky Derby. They will have a group of sharpshooters at the first turn ready to take out any horses not in the first three places. This will make it much easier for all of us idiots to accept their annointed winner....

January 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Kathy Burch

RonPaul was one of only a few Republicans to originally stand up for Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan would not have been afforded the oppurtunities without the initial support of RonPaul. Is Nancy Reagan aware of this? Does she remember when RonPaul stuck his neck out for Ronald Reagan? RonPaul is the truest Republican running in the Presidential primary and has been treated shabbily by his own party and the media. What are you people afraid of? ....that the American voters will discover RonPaul and what he stands for? We can make up our own minds, there are 5 candidates left....let them debate!! Kathy Burch, Maryville, TN

January 26, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. Kathy Burch

Let the process reduce the number of candidates in the debate. There are only 5 left at this point and I have noticed incredible bias against RonPaul from the Republicans and the media. RonPaul is the truest Republican running in the primary. Does Nancy Reagan remember that RonPaul was one of only a few Rep. that stood up for her husband and gave him the oppurtunities to go to the top? Let the voters decide....5 candidates.....we can pick whom we like....

January 26, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  22. Gravel '08

Oh, the joys of slavery. That sweet smell of the media choosing the "front-runners." Nothing quite like the feeling of being chained, ignorant of any notion of freedom.

As a supporter of Mike Gravel, I apologize to you, CNN, for him. I am sorry he is trying to say what he believes is the truth. I am sorry he tries to hold others accountable for his actions. I am sorry he refuses to take money from lobbyists. I am sorry he tries to make a difference in this country.I am sorry he isn't young and handsome. And I am sorry that he doesn't hide behind that old lie of "hope."

January 27, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  23. lorimax

They held a lottery that people could enter to attend the debates.
    The winners were already drawn and people were notified .
    I did enter but was not one of the lucky ones.

January 27, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Donald, Los Angeles

I too would like to attend the democratic presidential debate at the Kodak Theater – how does one go about getting a seat? What are the criteria for an invitation?

January 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. Rosemary Levi

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I am an International Simulcast Television/Radio (CNN Bldg.) and Certified Court Interpreter in the Spanish language since 1979, and have practiced this pofession in a multi-level, multi-field capacity for the past 35 years.

I would like to volunteer my services as a "Simulcast Television Interpreter" for the upcoming presidential campaigns in Los Angeles.
    Please let me know what I need to do.
    Respectfully,