December 22nd, 2007

Obama touts support of Bill Clinton's foreign policy officials

Obama said he has more support from Bill Clinton's foreign policy officials than Hillary Clinton does.

WASHINGTON, Iowa (CNN) – Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said Friday that it "should raise some pretty interesting questions" that, according to him, more of former president Bill Clinton's foreign policy advisers are supporting Obama than Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

"Why is the national security adviser of Bill Clinton, the Secretary of the Navy of Bill Clinton, the Assistant Secretary of State for Bill Clinton—why are they all supporting me?" Obama asked rhetorically.

"They apparently believe that my vision of foreign policy is better suited for the 21st century."

Obama was responding to an audience question that pointed out the support he's received from the former Clinton officials.

The Clinton campaign was quick to respond, saying it's "false" to claim that more of President Clinton's foreign policy officials support Obama than Clinton.

In a statement, Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said, "Sen. Obama is attacking Sen. Clinton by making demonstrably false claims about his foreign policy credentials that only raise more questions about his own lack of experience."

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. ben,washington

The thing here is, they would prefer Obama over Hillary,Period!

December 22, 2007 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. eva,baltimore,md

Obama is running an impressive campaign for a candidate who has never been on the national stage. I wonder if America will ever have such a chance again if is not elected.
    Just my 2cents opinion.

December 22, 2007 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. jeff,florida

To me if the goverment controls the media(like the way they hyped this election),I think this election is going to be rigged if people are going to be leaning towards obama. I just don't think he will be let to win by the goverment. I might be wrong but that is what I think.
    But, in the end it will be rigged from American people. Americans have lost their civil liberties,free speech and anything that they were proud of for that matter.
    The media has elected you a candidate already!

December 22, 2007 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. Nando,Florida

For all you PRO-Hillary cronies,

If she does not win IOWA she is done,

He will Leave her in the dust. AND SHE KNOWS it, BILL KNOWS IT, and soon! the rest of the Democratic Party will KNOW IT.

OBAMA 08,12

and there's nothing you can do about it.

December 22, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. george,fairfax,va

J.wilson,

We don't live in london, we live in America!!

December 22, 2007 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Independent in IA

Thank you J. Wilson

Very articulate, and I sincerely thank you for your service to this country in proper diplomatic channels.

December 22, 2007 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. tina,derry,new hempshire

Actually from yesterday night Bill Clinton has started supporting Obama because he has lost hope with his wife Hillary being the president of united states.:)
    Obama 08!

December 22, 2007 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  8. joyce,newjersey

Obama mentioned the exchange in his remarks Tuesday, saying he’s thankful to be joined by members of previous administrations.

"I look forward to drawing on all of the talent that I can get when I am president of the United States — because unlike George Bush, I’m not going to demand an ideological or loyalty test for my advisers," he said.

Good for him! I believe he picked the good apples....

December 22, 2007 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. freshia,california

Crap crap crap from the media, give me obama anytime!!

Obama 08!

December 22, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. Ruth,manchester,Newhempshire

To CNN producer Chris Welch,
    How would you expect me to take wholly what you are producing. Isn't it CNN from July to November till the fall of Hillary has being touting hillary the front runner. It is like telling me to believe Des moines register that has endorsed hillary to be read fairly what they write about hillary and Obama. I am going to vote to whoever I want, not media telling me all the weakness of one candidate and leaving the other candidate weak side uncovered. Clinton has the most baggage and everyone knows that.

Bottom line,I am voting for Obama no matter what the media says!

December 22, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. castello,tx

Foreign policy should be changed. It should also include other countries that are left poor and with diseases that are causing mass death like aids. It should include focusing on how we can help human than destroying human with war. America only want their agenda pass on unchalleged. They just want foreign policy where they are benefiting and destroying other people.
    I am voting for Obama anytime

December 22, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. brian,london

I am voting for joe Biden if Hillary is touting foreign policy experience. I think he is the chairman of foreign policy commission and have more experience than she has.
    Anyone but Hillary!

December 22, 2007 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. richard,derry,new hempshire

I am die hard supporter for Obama!!

December 22, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  14. brenda,michigan

They choice to advise obama since they know the past and they don't want to go back to that. Change here and now!!

December 22, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  15. phillip,boston,ma

He is changing American politics not foreign countries.
    Obama 08!

December 22, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. Bill,Newton,Iowa

For all you PRO-Hillary cronies,

If she does not win IOWA she is done,

OBAMA 08,12

and there's nothing you can do about it.

Posted By Nando,Florida : December 22, 2007 11:29 am

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, we are changing the dynasty. No blue America,no red america there is united states of America! Obama all the way!! 08,12 and beyond
    Obama the president of United states of America!

December 22, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. crobat,nevada

CNN CAN YOU HAVE ANOTHER HEADLINE,

WHY IS HILLARY HAVING A PEDOPHILE (Bill Clinton) CAMPAIGNING WITH HER?

just want people to know

December 22, 2007 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  18. Esther,Newyork city,newyork

Wow, Hillary and Cnn you get that? Never will able to put Obama down, I say never will!

Obama all the way!

December 22, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  19. The Stantons NYC

"A bunch of hot air and empty promises" doesn't put a chicken in my stew pot nor keep a roof over my childrens' heads. Landing a good job requires education, experience, and/or a whole lot of perseverance. Most men in general still think a woman's place is in line behind him!! Bah humbug, Mr. Scrooges.

IT'S TIME TO STAND UP AND BE PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.

It's time to put a WOMAN in the White House who knows how to "roll up her sleeves and clean up this huge GOP mess". It's time to elect a President who we can count on to get our Great Nation back on tract. It's time for someone who already has the education, experience AND perseverance to get the done. It is NOT the time for "On-the-Job Training in the Oval Office".

It is time for Hillary Clinton. We support her all the way.

December 22, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  20. Adam, Plano, TX

Again, obama has no orignal thoughts or solutions what so ever! he's continues to claim every other candidates solutions! Ladies, its time! Send him back to oprah
    Posted By Marcy Drewells Iowa : December 22, 2007 6:58 am

and you show us you know nothing about Obama. read The Audacity of Hope, which came out before anyone was campaigning, or even planning on running, and tell me he has no original ideas. that book is his playbook, and everyone else is stealing from it.

December 22, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  21. sofia,boston,ma

CNN, all what you are doing with your ills is making Obama look strong everyday.
    First of all, we have a president in the white house who has never gone outside this country or has any foreign policy experience at all. Then we have Hillary who is telling us foreign policy is being the first lady and making excutive trips abroad with her daughter.
    Now, we we look at Obama's background, there is something touchable. His name might even help him get through the walls of Iraq's resistance.
    If not then Joe Biden has the best foreign policy experience than all. All what I want is a fresh blood in the white house, period!

December 22, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  22. cj,Derry,NH

Isn't Hillary running behind her husband curtains being the first lady? Does that mean she is best qualified with foreign policy experience? Give me a break!
    I hope Iowans are smart people....

December 22, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. Christian S., Hampton, Virginia

This has been a very interesting lead up to the Primary for Democratic politics as a whole. Senator Clinton and Senator Obama both in my opinion bring elements of validity to the trail that could very well work in the office of President of the United States.

Problem is: they have now disrespected one another so much that neither would be willing to work together in the future on a Presidential/VP ticket.

Things that stand out most to me:
    * Clinton has consistently played the wrong hand in terms of her support to a dying republican agenda. While this is the case, she still has the name that is powerful and respected around the world (which could be a very useful tool in the head office). I support Clintons push for Universal healthcare and think it can work with very little added sacrafice from the american public. Businesses in this country should be all for such a change.

* Obama.. well his ideas for foriegn policy are fresh and would work well in the political scene of the 21st century. Why people don't seem to get his point is beyond me. Simply put he has no set of rules for diplomatic enagement. Each situation requires some flexibility on the part of the president but his point is this.. stop sending the Secretary of State to represent US interest – stop poting like children when othr countries won't as the US or the world suggest they should – stop refusing to play with them any longer by imposing sanctions against countries with oposing views. A strong leader is afraid to try real diplomacy first. A strong leader is not afraid to meet face to face with those whose opinions differ. A strong leader does not take the "It's my way or no way" approach to politics because it does not serve the interest of them or us. As either president or vp i think Obama could be valuable in this regard. As for his healthcare strategy.. that my firends is just pure garbage. (Truth is TRUTH)

That's my take. Either way we have a tough road ahead. Neither candidate is all that great in regard to thir political record and in different areas each shine differently. Now that the Bush/Cheney admin has somewhat redefined the role of the Vice President, I think together they could possibly be the most complete team the US Executive branch has ever seen.

December 22, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  24. JJ Monterey, CA

Posted By Nando,Florida: December 22, 2007 11:29am "If she does not win IOWA she is done"

ROFLOL I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you too 😉 Do you think ALL the other 49 states are going to go along with Iowa?? Hate to burst your perception of history BUT indeed lots of past Presidents did NOT win the Iowa Caucuses. ahahahahahaha gotta luv the peeps cuz they are so such innocent little lambs....

December 22, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. Ginny, Byron, CA

Tina from Derry, NH:
    I simply can't resist saying that your comment about Bill supporting Obama is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Where did you get that? These are the kinds of comments that have no merit whatsoever.

December 22, 2007 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |