December 27th, 2007

Huckabee goes hunting

Watch scenes from Huckabee's hunting outing Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It's become a campaign staple for all presidential candidates: perform an activity that demonstrates 'regular-guy' status.

Republican Mike Huckabee took his turn Wednesday, going on a pheasant hunt in Osceola, Iowa during which the Arkansas governor made it clear he is no stranger to the great outdoors.

"Maybe it will show that I certainly understand the culture of being outdoors," he said of the expedition. "It's not something we had to go out and get a primer in. It's very much ordinary to me."

Huckabee's team brought back three pheasants - one of which the candidate claimed he personally shot - and promised they'd be "cleaned and eaten."

Huckabee, who polls show continues to hold onto his lead in Iowa eight days before the state¹s caucuses - also joked the trip could serve as a metaphorical campaign message.

"Don't get in my way," he said while pointing to the three dead birds.

"This is what happens…You vote for me, you live. You don't…there you go."

Huckabee said he was as a lifelong hunter, a statement that harkened back to rival Mitt Romney's similar claim earlier this year. The former Massachusetts governor later backtracked from that statement, saying he had only hunted "small varmints" occasionally.

Huckabee's rise is fueled in part by his "normal guy" appeal, and the governor took the opportunity to reinforce his heartland roots.

“People in Middle America feel like folks will come and campaign in Iowa, and then they get elected and they forget that people out here in flyover land still exist," he said. “Some of us grew up in the middle of the country and still live here."

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Dana Bash

Filed under: Iowa • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I want to know why some consider it manly to go hunting. Given this period of time that we have all the food that we could ask for at most supermarkets, how often should we really go hunting?

Is Huckabee really adovcating people go hunting to supplement their food supply? Is he telling us he going to shoot the other candidates; I guess it is going to be a surprise as to which one it is.

December 27, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Mike, Lansing MI

Not only does he want to enforce a theocracy on American's, but now he wants to hold us all hostage...is Al Queda on his funding list? This is what's wrong with Republicans. You people think that you can put on a good show and people will just oh and ah over you. We've just had nearly 8 years of moronic leadership. Do people want another 4 with this fool?

December 27, 2007 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. Amused, Las Vegas

This is good. "To prove that I can be President, I'll go out and shoot something." Is this the only criteria now?

Isn't that the criteria for VICE President?

December 27, 2007 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Mark, Brown Summit NC

If candidate Huckleberry did not pluick the feathers and dress that bird, He should be ostricized from American society for beinga Ignorant uneducated red neck. He also should have taken the bird home and eaten it and forced his family to eat it. Taking a life for political gain is an outrage, just as the situation in Pakistan with Bhutto's assination is an outrage! I am going to start my hate Huckleberry phase of life until I hear that the facts are that he needed dinner for hungry family or the starving families of America.

December 27, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  5. Mike

Right, like killing birds and animals will make him look like a normal person!

Do they really think that we are that stupid? God help us!

December 27, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  6. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

All Catholics and Christians know that the last days–christians will be persecuted, deprived, and ridiculed and fall into a minority on the earth. What makes us think–that by electing a "single issue" candidate who has dubious credentials– christian ideals will magically begin to permeate our congress and the office of the president?

By electing a candidate–who shares only one of our christian values–the "right to life"–we risk nominating and electing–the anti-christ. Many Democrats feel abortion is a sin–but that charity and aid to the poor and suffering are virtues.

Why do we ignore the prophesies when it suits us–and think man-kind can really change the world? If Huckleberry is so great, why isn't he supporting some of the "other" christian values???? This guy could very well be the anti-christ.

December 27, 2007 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. CintiKid, Cinti, Ohio

When will Shillary go hunting ... look out Bill.

December 27, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  8. Hawk,Texas

Typical b.s.and this is the guy that even charged $10.000 to deliver a sermon in a church in texas.and gets $25.000 to speak to people.

December 27, 2007 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  9. Pat Huntington NY

Hello Huck, this Elmer Fudd, please give me my hat back.

What a piece of garbage. Hope killing that bird made you feel more like a man!

December 27, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. Hunter, Flint, MI

Geeesh just look at that pic "this is my brodda Darryl and my odda brodda Darryl. Listen, my family is a family of hunters and they go "real" hunting and really eat their catch. They think this guy (along with Cheney) are a complete joke. At least they go out and get some food while these jokers just pay some guy to let the poor animal out of a box at some sanctuary.

December 27, 2007 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  11. Chris Haynes, Winston-Salem, NC

Please, vote Huckabee. He appears most beatable!

After all, your Daddy would have voted for him. hahahaha

December 27, 2007 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Mike Little, Sarasota, Florida

Finally we have some president material in Huckabee. He is so brave showing us that he can shoot birds for no reason other than personal pleasure. And he knows how to show no fear when he say “this is what will happen if you cross my path”. What a hero. This can finally teach Americans that we ought to please our self – long before we please others. Who give a d.. 50 million+ Americans don't have healthcare. It's obviously their fault – and so long I have I don't care either. And why should we make sure children have good and affordable education when it will only give unnecessary competition to our rich kids? They don’t need some smart kid without money or connections taking their future well-paid job. No we don’t need to change anything as this is the country where most have too little and only the few have too much. Vote for Huckabee.

December 27, 2007 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  13. Independent in NH

Will someone PLZ ask Huckabee if he would give Michelle Obama some pointers on owning a gun??

Senator Obama said, "And by the way, Michelle, my wife, she was traveling up, I think, in eastern Iowa, she was driving through this nice, beautiful area, going through all this farmland and hills and rivers and she said 'Boy, it's really pretty up here,' but she said, 'But you know, I can see why if I was living out here, I'd want a gun. Because, you know, 911 is going to take some time before somebody responds. You know what I mean? You know, it's like five miles between every house.'!!"

Michelle wears the pants in the family so she'll be the one toting the gun 😉

December 27, 2007 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. fergusmom

Hunting for sport or food for the table is one thing, but the main reason for this hunt was only for political advantage.. It's unethical and unmoral..

December 27, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Believer, Durham, NC

Lee Carter, San Francisco, CA – you're wrong to characterize Mitt as running based on his religion. In fact he has done the EXACT opposite of Huckabee. He only made a speech about faith after people continuously hounded him on it. He is running for President of the Unites States, not Pastor of the Unites states like Huckabee. Plain and simple. In fact, now that Huckabee think he has the "Christian" element of the Republican party wrapped up he's dropped his "Christian Leader" title. How's that for using Christ to get votes.

December 27, 2007 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. K Wilkinson MG TX

Romney 2008!

December 27, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. Stacey, Durham, NC

David, NC, the FairTax is NOT the answer to all our problems. Overspending and entitlements is our problem. The only candidate that has proven himself a serious fiscal conservative is Romney.

You want the truth about Huckabee and not what he's trying to sell himself as now that he's running for POTUS?

December 27, 2007 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  18. Steve Blaine Washington

Does everyone remember the Student who knocked on someone's door in Louisiana and the owner opened the door and shot him dead. Nothing happened to the person who shot the Student.
    Louisiana is the only State which has strick laws for carrying hand guns. While I was residing in Mississippi in the 90's it was legal in the other Southern States to carrying handguns in your auto and to and from your auto without a permit. I remember two articles in the paper where Black people were killed by white people. In the first incident a black man was coming out of a white persons house with some goods and the white man shot him in the back with a 44 magnum. In the second incident a delivery guy shot a black man coming out of a store with something he shoplifted.
    nothing happened to either one of the shooters in either incident.
    Time for things like these to end and the election of someone from the South as Presidebnt is not going t0o end such incidents.

December 27, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Jed in Texas

Well first think ya know old Hucks a billionaire Kinfolk said Huck move away from there, D.C is the place ya aught to be, so they loaded up the jet and they moved to Georgetown weeeeeeeee!

December 27, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  20. Jason NYC

Just the good ol boys, never meanin' no harm......

Yeee Hawwwww!

December 27, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Ted, Riverhead, NY

I'm a Republican, not a supporter of Huckabee, but am I the only one that thinks he looks like Elmer Fudd here?? I didn't read every single blog, so sorry if someone else said the same thing. Oh well, I'm off to hunting wascilly wabbits.......

December 27, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  22. Hyattsville, MD

Animals are killed to be eaten, sea creepy-crawly animals (some of them are even cooked alive) are killed to be eaten and so are birds. That does not change my vote.

December 27, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. Sharilyn K. Hartwell

"This is what happens…You vote for me, you live. You don't…there you go."

While I agree I was alarmed by this comment ... and yes this type of joke is considered "sick" IMO and is not cool. But there are a lot more serious reasons why I would never consider voting for him ... 1) he made a deal with Mexico's then President Vicente Fox (Arkansas's illiegal aliens group really flourished under his term) so he is not for secure borders - his plan is to send them home one day and allow them to come back the next day – legalized. He "thinks" that is what Americans want???? He sure has a fuzzy thinking problem IMHO. 2) he raised taxes on gasoline and cigarettes, etc 47% in Arkansas.

We need to elect Presidential candidate RON PAUL - the Champion of the Constitution ... to restore our freedoms and country.

December 27, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. Janet Kern, Hewitt, NJ

I realized last night that the only thing that Huckabee is going to "feed" with this act of cruelty is his stupid ego. After seeing this, I sure am glad I don't go to church, because if this is what happens from a so called "man of god", I'll just stay home.

December 27, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  25. Scottish Pajamas

He just lost my vote. What an embarrassment . Gun ownership is our constitutional right, but THIS? This is newsworthy? This is the kid with the Red Rider BB gun. still the dweeb, twice the size.

December 27, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |