January 1st, 2008

Getting to know Joe Biden

Watch CNN's Suzanne Malveaux interview Joe Biden.

Watch CNN's Suzanne Malveaux interview Joe Biden.

(CNN) – Democratic White House hopeful Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware speaks with Suzanne Malveaux in this clip from CNN’s Ballot Bowl.

“I don’t think people know much about me personally,” said Biden. “Where I live, I’m married, my kids, my background in terms of my personal life.”

“I’d like people to know all the years I’ve been in politics, my Republican colleagues and my Democratic colleagues have never questioned my word,” Biden told Malveaux. “I decided when I ran this time to say exactly what I would do,” if elected president, added Biden.

The Delaware senator also talked about his family, their role in his political career, and how they supported him when his first wife and young daughter were killed in a car accident 35 years ago.

- CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. ben..west memphis ar.

BIDEN he has the guts to run for president again.. wow the last time he ran he got caught in a big lie about his father working in the coal mines and still had time to play with the kids,, as it turne out his father never worked in the mines. guess he thinks people has forgotten about his lies.

January 1, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Rob

I know Joe and you are no Joe Biden. He is a plagerist and his mouth runs too much.

January 1, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

Being a Democrat I will vote for the Demcratic nominee, but the two best are Hillary and Biden.
    The one I fear that would lose is Obama and if he won would turn out to be another Carter, due to his inexperiance on the national political scene.
    I learned early if you want to change a system you need someone who knows where the bodies are buried not some outsider.
    President Johnson changed the country with his Civil Rights legislation. Do you honestly think that a person with Obama's experiance could have gotten that legislation through Congress? The answer is of course slim and none with slim on the bus out of town.
    Hillary's inexperiance was the reason that Health Care legislation failed in the '90's, but now with the experiance she has gathered, I'm willing to wager that this time Hillary will win her fight to get Health Care for every American.

January 1, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. Phil Memphis, TN

OMG, I can't believe it. I didn't know CNN realized Biden was runniong for Prez. Clue: He is the one they usually seat far over on one end during the debates. You know, the one who speaks clearly, doesn't waffle,has experience, tells the truth, and actually makes sense.

January 1, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  5. Mati

I have all respect for Mr. Richardson and Mr. Biden. If these guys received more attention, it would be a better dialog about real issues. Unfortunately, the crowds wanted fun and decided we should instead waste the time by listening to Obama's platitudes. Clinton, Biden, Richardson could entertain an interesting political conversation, not propaganda as provided by Obama (and somehow Edwards).

January 1, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  6. Betty Tolsma

January 1, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Despite the talk of a three-way dead heat in Iowa, and my view of Hillary and Obama's unelectability in the general, I'm still entertaining a vote in VA for Biden. My main concern is that it will be more important to defeat the unelectables than go with the smartest and most experienced lawyer. Not easy for lawyers to choose.

January 1, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. Tony G

Biden hasn't been given the time of day by the media, especially CNN during the debates. Fact is, he's the most qualified and most honest candidate up for election. He's one of just a handful of Democrats who've stood up to President Bush and the neo-cons over the last 7 years. It's a shame he didn't get more exposure, but his time will come. Maybe next time.

ONLY 385 DAYS LEFT OF KING GEORGE'S RULE! Then it's PARTY TIME!

January 1, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  9. kate

A Biden-Richardson ticket – or Richardson-Biden – would provide the best leadership for the future of America. Middle of the road. Experienced. Believe they will restore America's stature in the world, work toward restoration of the Constitutional freedoms trampled in the last 7 years, and reach the best result in the misadventure into Iraq, as well as the threat from Islamic radical jihad.

January 1, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  10. Jacque Bauer, Los Angeles, CA

It's a little too late to be "getting to know" Joe Biden. If after all his long years in the Senate Biden has been unable to accomplish anything that puts him on the national stage, then that speaks volumes about why he has about 1% support and is clearly playing in a game where he does not belong and is not wanted.

Joe's claim to fame will always be that he shamelessly plagarized the work of Neil Kinnick, and thus had no vital original thoughts of his own that anyone can remember.

January 1, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  11. Like It Is

Joe Biden is the most qualified candidate for president. The others cannot hold a candle to him.

January 1, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  12. MJ Ft. Campbell, KY

Go Joe! 🙂 I want you as Commander in Chief. I'd trust you to take your obligation to my husband and all of the other troops seriously!

January 1, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. SoonerThought.blogspot.com

We need Biden now more than ever. Our national security is at stake, and so is the physical security of our children; the retirement security of our parents; the economic and health security of our families. Joe Biden will get us out of Iraq without leaving chaos behind. He'll fix health care now (by covering children and catastrophic) on the road to universal coverage. And perhaps most importantly, he'll end Bush’s assault on civil liberties. Caucus-goers have a unique opportunity and responsibility to help select a Democratic nominee capable of: beating Republicans in November; then leading this country through the difficult but promising decade ahead. He has my vote.

January 1, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  14. Elaine

I am disappointed that CNN (and other news stations) does not give Biden and other "underdog" candidates due time. CNN's intensive covering of the "top 3" campaigns serves to invalidate the credibility and potential of the other candidates. Joe Biden has much more experience than Hillary, but we never hear about him. To be fair and impartial, Biden (and others) should get equal time. I think Joe Biden is most qualified to bring us through the international challenges ahead. Maybe those who agree should start to complain to the newscasters! Listen up, CNN!

January 1, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. Bev

I have been undecided for months while all the time listening to all the candidates. Today in Indianola, I have decided. I am for Joe Biden. He speaks with great passion and since he has lived it all, he does not sound scripted like many of the others. I have not been a passionate political observer, but today I feel like I can be very passionate for Joe Biden.

January 1, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  16. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Hey Joe,you'd make a great president. Too bad you're just not good enough at acting like you're retarded. I don't think this nation will elect a smart guy.

January 1, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  17. Patrick

That's terrible about his family I was not aware of that. I've always liked Biden, he seems very knowledgable and honest to me. He also seems like he'd work across party lines which I think is the most important characteristic in all the candidates. He's my favorite democrat in the race, and I hope if any Republican or Democrat wins the election that he would be included in the administration.

January 1, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. Ajay Jain, Garland, TX

He would make a great Veep candidate. MY vote is with Biden as a Vice Presidential candidate.

Go Hillary44 08! http://hillaryis44.org/

January 1, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  19. Chris in Jacksonville

Biden is a bright guy....he could not be any worse than the current occupant in terms of honesty......not to mention competence.

January 1, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  20. Bill, Chicago, IL

Betty Tolsma- " Why not google Biden's history of plagiarism. And yes, I question the man's honesty."

Why not learn to think for yourself, Betty? Biden is by far the most intelligent, experienced, and, yes, honest, candidate out there. In fact, it's his honesty that guarantees he'll never be elected President – he won't lie and pander to whatever group he's speaking to. He's also the candidate that's most concerned about the welfare of this country. No, he'll never be President, but it's America's great loss.

January 1, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  21. Doug Caldwell

Go Joe go! This is the real deal. He knows world leaders like few have. He told Milosovich (sp?) he was a war criminal – to his face! Talk about leadership. Doug Caldwell

January 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  22. Cool Joe

Biden should try to get on the rolling stone cover with a photo enhanced large package like Gore did in 2000. Biden actually bragged once in front of a young audience that he still gets it on with his wife frequently. Biden is just another long-term life-time politician who will say anything to the audience in front of him.
    The guy can not stop talking about himself and is really only running for VP or a cabinet job. What has he done that would make him any good as a Secr of Defense? He thinks he is brilliant for stating he would break up Iraq into three parts. That was back before the military surge went well.

January 1, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  23. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I would vote for Biden if he could get there. Most people view him as a blowhard which is not true. He made some mistakes in the past; who hasn't? Who ever wins the democratic nomination should take his advice but leave him in the senate to help maintain the majority if the Democrats can hold onto it.

January 1, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  24. Ken, Caldwell - NJ

Biden is the man! It's unfortunate that by the time the election gets to New Jersey, he most likely won't be a factor. But if he's hanging in by some chance miracle for the NJ Primary, he's got my vote!

Once again the News Networks didn't like him, so we couldn't see how smart he really is, and all the good he has done for this country. Yes, he tends to babble at the mouth a little, and perhaps is a little arrogant...but he knows his stuff. Look at his voting record, and the respect he commands from his colleagues in the senate from BOTH sides of the aisle.

Biden 08!

January 1, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  25. AJ, IL

Biden is generally a good guy. He ran for president previously and lost (or withdrew partly due the plagiarism fiasco). Biden had his opportunity. For me he is just not inspiring or charismatic enough. Biden has been a part of the Washington political scene for more than 30 years, how can he create change? Biden's "straight talk" all too often comes out as divisive and offensive. Joe Biden voted in favor of the Iraq War, and in favor of reauthorizing the Patriot Act.

Biden is good at delivering one-liners and funny anecdotes. At best Biden would make a good member of someone's presidential cabinet.

January 1, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |