January 6th, 2008

O'Reilly gets in confrontation with Obama staffer

O'Reilly got into a confrontation with an Obama staffer Saturday.

O'Reilly got into a confrontation with an Obama staffer Saturday.

(CNN) - Fox News talk show host Bill O'Reilly had a confrontation with a staffer for Barack Obama’s campaign that the aide and several eyewitnesses claim became physical.

The incident began when O’Reilly tried to get Obama’s attention after a Nashua campaign event. He allegedly began yelling at Obama’s National Trip Director Marvin Nicholson to get out of the way. O’Reilly then, according to eyewitness accounts, shoved the staffer.

Nicholson told CNN O'Reilly grabbed him by the arm and started "pushing" him. Nicholson also said that when he asked O'Reilly to stop pushing him, the talk-show host responded that he was "low class."

O’Reilly soon got Obama’s attention, and the two men spoke briefly.

"They shook hands and Mr. O'Reilly said that he thought Sen. Obama was great and that he loved him, and he'd love to have him on the show," Nicholson said. "And then the senator said that he would think about coming on the show after the primaries."

Then the Secret Service intervened to ask O’Reilly to step back behind the barricade that marked the press area.

Speaking later on Fox News, O'Reilly said he tried to "gently remove" the Obama staffer so his camera could get a shot of the Illinois senator.

"We're sorry we had to have that little confrontation," O'Reilly added, "but no one on this earth is going to block a shot on The O'Reilly Factor. It is not going to happen."

Related video: Obama aide: O'Reilly shoved me

- CNN's Chris Welch contributed to this report

1. Walt, Belton, TX

How dare any of you peons get in the way of this wonderful, self-made, egotistical arse! Bill, think you just tripped over your ego and now folks know you're just another fool.

January 6, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  2. Gane

I am Canadian who passionately watches your politics. You are our Big brother.
    Wake up Americans!!!
    Why don't you choose your president based on substance and proven abilities, not based on "likability" for example.
    Are you planning to marry Mrs.Clinton, or you want an iron lady to fix the big domestic and international bubo that the "likable " guy has done. (By the way chosen by you)
    Did you really forget what was America during Clintons? 5 trillions surplus??!!
    Everybody works, international respect...Everybody was envying you.
    As an Canadian I was trying very hard to get a green cart those days.
    Please do not be silly, give you country and yourself a brake. At list 4 years, then B. Hussein Obama is still here. Do not experiment again, because the suite talkers cost you ... how many billion up to know??...5-6..

The next President can not afford to have even a "Haney Day"!

January 6, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  3. Matt

What a liar and a loser – O'Reilly needs to be fired. What arrogance! No one has ever elected him to any office, so he needs to back off.

January 6, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  4. George Sands

I like bill, I dont think he is a bad man, but I do think that he thinks that all the world is evil, and those who dont think like him are "anti christians liberals democrats"
    I dont like his arrogance, never had, I am more conservative than him, and still I think he acts so wrong so many times.
    He bullies guests, he claims to be the "voice of the un heard" or the voice of the "real america", and this role he is playing is consuming him. now he thinks he can treat people in the outside the way he treats people in his popular tv show in fox. I think he feels he can do what ever he wants.

January 6, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  5. EODLifer

Who IS Bill O'rilley?

January 6, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  6. Mitch

THIS is a NO SPIN ZONE - O' – your are an ass!!

January 6, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  7. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

So far not one comment in defense of O'Reilly.

January 6, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  8. Randy H.

What an idiot! Just goes to show that all dead fish will eventually float to the top. Anyone smell anything yet? Pompous ass? Yes! Arrogant? Yes! Out of touch, Billo? Yes! King of his world? Oh Yes!

What a freaking idiot!

January 6, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  9. Mike Fairbanks

Bill O'Reilly makes a fool of the Irish. He is a sellout, pure and simple.

Real Irishmen don't act like idiots.

The Irish are living legends. Bill o'Reilly is Israeli or something.

January 6, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  10. ddeighton Baltimore, MD

How sad! Like Bill O'Reilly knows anything about class! He's just mad that he had to stay behind the barricade. And then the audacity of asking Obama to be on his show. Like a Democratic black guy is going to give a Reblican white guy the time of day. Gee Bill, isn't your 15 minutes of fame up yet?

January 6, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  11. Joe

Way to go Bill, you ruffled all these left wingers feathers. I hope you, Mr. O'reilly, read some of this garbage. Keep up the good work.

January 6, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  12. Jeff, D.C.

Nicholson sounds like a wimp. Bill rocks!

January 6, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  13. Kevin,FL

Am CNN its FAUX NOISE AND HIS NAME IS BILLO.... HE NEED TO SHUT HIS YOU KNOW WHAT BEFORE SOMEONE KICK IT.. I CANT STAND THAT MAN AT ALL!!

January 6, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  14. Danny, CA

Can anyone tell me why it takes so loing for moderation.

January 5, 2008 5:30 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    As expected CNN is making a mountain of the molehill. I do not believe O'Reilley can disturb Obama Campaign. In fact it helps Obama. GOOOOOObama.

January 6, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  15. matt

I hope to god he doesn't go on his show. It would be a huge mistake and o'reilly would just act a total ass and talk over him. He's a disrespectful nasty being as we all know

January 6, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  16. MarineSon

Bill O'Bully! So proud of you Bill! Keep showing the world what a total POS you really are! Way to go! Years ago, during Vietnam, I didn't hear of him shoving his way to the front of the recruiter line!

January 6, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  17. Robb, New York

Bill O'Reilly... another card-carrying member of the Dividers' Club. He's going to try and demonize Obama's camp just like he demonizes anyone who says no to him. He's about as bad as Hillary Clinton when it comes to pulling people and a nation apart. He can pipe down and go back to doing his little show.

January 6, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  18. mavis dandridge

Everyone knows this was all for show. O'Reilly thinks this will increase his ratings. I've listened to his show, and he sounds rather stupid most of the time.

January 6, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  19. Anonymous

Bill o'reilly is the most ignorant of all the talk show host. What a shame!!!!!

January 6, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  20. Darrell F. Anthony

Once again Fox and its infamous itdiot O'Reilly trys to put himself above everyone else. Princess O'Reilly needs to know that he is just a nobody who trys to make everyone think he knows something and all the idiot is a big bag of hot air. I have never liked the guy or Fox network they are pro elephant and a network for the Bush White House. He makes me sick with his stupid show and his loud mouth he needs to go home to mommie maybe she can feed him his baby bottle full of infamil again.

January 6, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  21. Joe

XY, Patty D., vet24, j dean, just a few left wingers. Down with freedom of speech!, up with slaming Fox News. Were any of you people there to really see what happened? Or should we believe just what we hear. Bernard are you on this planet? O'reilly shoved me, how horrible. Ha Ha.

January 6, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  22. JB

Just when I was thinking I should watch the BO show just to see what he has to say! I guess I can let that one go now.

January 6, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  23. JB

Just when I was thinking I should watch the Billy O'Reilly show just to see what he has to say! I guess I can let that one go now.

January 6, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  24. Greg Mc

Unfortunately we will see more of these stunts by republican sympathisers like Bill O'Reilly. They are watching the begginning of the end of the world as they see it and any dirty trick is justified. What this election should tell the people at Fox is that Bill O'Reilly has reached his "use by" date and should be put out to pasture.

The world awaits President Obama.

January 6, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  25. Rose

I think Bill O'Reilly is a totally an obnoxious, loudmouth, uninformed, bully who is drunk with power. When he conducts himself like this, why don't people starting asking him about his own sex scandal?
    His show is like the propaganda campaign in the 1950's in Castro's Cuba. How long are the American people going to put up with this nonsense? You can't even call this network atnd their pushed agenda news. It's just an embarrassment.

January 6, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |