January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. HVu

Do you think Obama can change the USA system?
    Did he change anything in the past 2-years as a senator?
    He is just about big talk like the W.
    The Republican want to challenge OBAMA. I think they afraid of Hillary because she is smarter than most of Republican candidates.

I am sure American hear you well.

January 8, 2008 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  2. Mike Campbell

Hillary doesn't need hard, persuasive rhetoric to win this. She cares the most and knows how to do it from day one. I don't know who Obama is but he sounds like a lot of talk just like a lot of past politicians on ego overdrive, flowery language and comebacks.

January 8, 2008 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  3. G Morgan

Hillary wil be a great President, something we haven't had since
    her husband, Bill!
    Wake up America and vote for the best qualified candidate, not
    the most likeable. This is not a popularity contest. Hillary
    Clinton is running for President, not "Miss Congeniality"!!!

January 8, 2008 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  4. G Morgan

Hey Jake!

The reason why you don't see Obama's name in "caps" might
    be due to the fact that they would rather not emphasize that his name
    is BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA, and he is the son of a Muslim.
    Funny how you all deny that truth!

January 8, 2008 05:41 am at 5:41 am |
  5. Linda, Kansas City, MO

I never wanted to vote for Hillary because I'm a moderate (not Democratic or Republican). But I have to say that I KNOW for sure that the reason she keeps getting trashed is because she is a woman. I'm sick of this countries treatment of women. Men trash her because she's a woman and "stupid" women trash her because they have no respect for their own sex or they feel like they have to bow down their husbands. As I've listened to radio shows and read message boards it just confirms how pathetic many Americans are when it comes to this issue.

My 18 year old daughter gets a job and now we have illegal Mexicans (apparently many Mexicans have no respect for women either) harrassing her. I'm sick of being a second class citizen, I'm ready to vote for her to try to finally get some equal rights. I work harder then any man to support my children and myself because I don't have as much financial opportunity, sick of it.

January 8, 2008 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  6. aprilemillo

the press is annointing who is winning....has nothing to do with change or truth or anything. They don't want Hillary to get a fair chance.....and that is the tragedy of this race.
    Obama is unseasoned and not ready with anything other than a pretty turn of phrase. Oprah thinks she can elect a president......."and you get a president" and "you get a president..." she must think it is a car or something. He has bussiness being in this race. Hillary all the way for me.

January 8, 2008 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  7. Anne

I'm not from the US but have been following the action. Unfortunatley Hillary started attacking her competition when she started loosing support, instead of informing the voters about what she stands for. This will only make her position worse. Who wants a President who passes the buck or get emotional whenever things get tough, she comes accross as a spoilt child who cannot get her way. I'm a woman, but I think this job is too big for a woman, maybe sometime in the future, sorry Hillary, but in your live time.

January 8, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  8. reil

Republicans wanted Obama to win the nomination, the reason is they can easily win against Obama in the final showdown. They will attack him with a barrage of political smear that Obama can't handle due to his credentials as a newbie. Just for a thought are the Republicans using the independents in the primaries to get rid of Clinton? Remember this fight is for the Democrat and Republican Presidency.

January 8, 2008 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  9. Eric Riggs

Hillary is by far the best candidate for President. Everyone is acting like Obama is the next President because he won in Iowa. Why? One small state at the very beginning of the election process. Just wait until February 5th. She will be the nominee and will become the next Presdent. Don't let the media fool you.
    Get out and vote! Hillary 08!

January 8, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  10. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Go Hillary, you changed a lot already and you will change more when you get the nominee. Come back kid, Hillary 2008.

January 8, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  11. Jim in Orlando, FL

GO Hillary ! GO Away ! GO home ! Get lost !! Scram !!

January 8, 2008 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  12. eileen

Please vote for Hillary. Obama is a radical! I just know she will be the come back girl!

January 8, 2008 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  13. Frank Camp Hill PA

Wake up People. The only change Obama will make is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to AF.RO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The old saying, One for all,All for one. GO HILLARY.

January 8, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  14. patrizia

Glad to see some positive comments on Senator Clinton finally. I am european and have been very distressed about the hatred sent her way by some of you bloggers. I can only mention the welcoming crowds on the streets that both herself and President Clinton still get in every european city when they travel over here – exactly the opposite of the President Bush's visits!
    She is respected this side of the world and I have no doubt having her back in the White House will restore the image of the US in the world.
    I believe she will be a brilliant President. New Hampshire vote for her today!
    Hillary 08!

January 8, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  15. Larry

If I live in New Hamsphere and If am an American, I will vote for Hillary. She is the best candidate out of the 3 leading candidates of the Democrat ic Party. Ill pick her for experience and capability of change. Barak Obama flip flops on issues specially in Iraq war, Economy, Insurance, etc. He does not have strong points except how to manipulate words and sentences. I think, it will be a tragedy to vote for Obama because of his lack of experience and lack of knowlege in issuess. Just look closely in the debate and townhall meetings. I will think several times, even a million times before voting Obama, I would go with Hillary. Even though, Im from Canada, I still believe whatever happens in the United States, affects me just like the rest of the world. Look at Benazir Bhutto, she is the 1st female prime minister, Corazon Aquino – 1st female democratic president, so its time to vote for the 1st female president of the United States of America and the Leader Free World.

January 8, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  16. Josh

Hillary no one takes you serious anymore!

Obama 08

Why do women keep playing the sex girl.. "come back girl"

Ok I'm black and I don't sit around saying "c'mon brother"

I really hope ppl are voting for her just because she's a woman..it seemed like the last debate she played that card.

January 8, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  17. robert

CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE too much of it and you will be left with only change in your pocket United state will change from the economic leader to a second class economic country

January 8, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. Vijay, Ohio

I believe, Hillary is by far the best presidential candidate among Democrats. She has great experience and will to make a difference. When Bill Clinton left Whitehouse, our national debt was about 4.5 trillion $s. Now after 7 long years of Bush presidency, today our national debt is 9 trillion $s. We are screwed overall in Global economy.

I strongly believe, Hillary will make a difference, turning our economy. Go Hillary!

January 8, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  19. Dave

Is CNN checking in to see if the "iron my shirt Hillary" protesters were Clinton plants? It seems like a typical Clintonian tactic.

January 8, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. peter

Hillary , you will win , we support you .

We don't want a naive boy to be the president. because he want to send U.S troops to Parkestan. he don't know what is responsible.

January 8, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. aileen

Hillary-You have to win! We need you in the White House. Iam praying daily for you and your team.

January 8, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  22. demwit

A painted face that would make Mrs. Doubtfire proud..

January 8, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  23. Dee

It is time to change American politics. The Clintons have had their day and it was a good. There is nothing more powerful than an idea who time has come. Its not about Barack its about what he stands for that is uniting the people in Iowa and New Hamspire. The last Presidential election we voted out of fear and ended up with George W. Bush and now we are entangled in what may be the worst war in US history.

***We need a new voice in Washington-The American People***

January 8, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  24. demwit

Why is it that so many post after midnight but before daybreak??

Pro-Hillary supporters scare me..

January 8, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  25. Cam Speck

If Mrs Cliton is so emotional how would she cope with a terrorist or war situation ? .

January 8, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |