January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Duncan, Richmond, VA

"We're a nation at war in a dangerous world."

I really dislike this 'at war' stuff. Congres never declared war and the people in the US are not in a war setting. We have not raised taxes to pay for the war, there is no draft, we are still able to buy huge vehicles, big screen TV's and our food supply is only limited by the amount of money we have..

Make 'war' painful for the people at home and suddenly we won't be 'at war' anymore.

January 7, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. jhon smith

HILLARY DOES CARE FOR THIS COUNTRY VERY MUCH. SHE IS THE ONLY RUNNING CANDIDATE ON BOTH SIDE THAT HELPS THIS COUNTRY BUT ALSO THE WORLD. PLEASE N.H. SEE WHAT I AM SEEING. VOTE FOR MADAM THE PRESIDENT HRC.

January 7, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  3. Robert

Sorry Hillary it looks like your not going to win

January 7, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. Ed, NC

No more Clintons or Bushes in the White House, please.

January 7, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  5. Hel n roy

Hillary is the best of the best. As for Obama he has ahell of a nerve to even mention JFK and Bobby. He is not worthy of th sweat off their brow. His dirty trick phone calls last nite were the talk of the office today as were John Edwards. Both of you are worthless trash! I will vote republican in Nov. if either of you are nominated at the convention. I have not ever voted Rep. and I have been voting for 40 years. Yes I voted for JFK so I know what a crock you two are.

Disgusted in NH

January 7, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. Kumar Singh Dhillon

I think that Mrs Clinton is a better candidate for the Presidency due to her intelligence and knowledge of world affairs. I do no think that an african american will be able to command national or international respect. Mrs Clinton also has the support of Indian-American votes and this alliance will be good as India is the next super power.

January 7, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  7. Mikhail

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. Im sorry. You do deserve to be the first woman president. Actually I would rather you be president first rather than any other women we have seen. We know you but were just not ready. Your fight dosent end here, unless you let it. Face it, you are going to lose to senator Barack Obama. If you become president after him we just might have the utopia everyone wants. Not right now though.

January 7, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. Jim

I have known the Clintons since heir days in Arkansas, and I can tell you: When Bill and Hillary made a promise to me on supporting our soldiers and imrproving education and keeping jobs from leaving the state, they kept them. Hillary knows what she's doing, has far outworked and outprepared Mr. Obama, and means what she says. She is not out running around showing off her vocabulary and testing inaugural address lines. She is serious about what she's doing and will take that seriousness into the White House. Enough already about Mr. Obama and his sidekick, Mr. Edwards. They are empty suits who lack a resume and the depth to secure our future, protect our country, and get to woek. Governemnt is not about preening for the camera, coming up with the latest sound bite. Government is about substance, not platitudes. To listen to Mr. Obama today, he's all but measured the Oval Office for drapes. Be careful of a man who seems to eager and too self-assured. He wants all of us to vote first, then ask questions. Mrs. Clinton is the real deal and in her you'll get a first-rate thinker and DOER. Go slow on this and make sure you truly know these guys and then go vote. It's too important to leave to a used car saleasman and ambulance chaser.

January 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  9. jw

Whatever happens in NH, Hillary is in this for the long haul. We need a president who is smart and tough, and cares enough about America to have devoted her life to public service. She gets my vote and my trust in '08.

January 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. Naston

Hillary is correct!! We need a person that is ready. People made the mistake of listening to promises and we got Bush. I want to know what we get this time.. and that's Hillary.. She brings should new to the table from Bill. " She's smarter".

The media has bitten into the Obama apple and putting the spin to see him in the office. They joined with Bush (didn't do their homework) and we ended up in Iraq.

I watch MSNBC every day but have to tell you they are starting to sound more like the FOX network – only preaching Obama. Hardball has become Obama-ball. In Iowa they made the point that 70 percent of the people voted against Hillary. This was a FOX type of spin. It's these little spins that send the message that Obama won a LOT bigger thathe really did.

We (the people) had better wake up or we will be handed a fine man.. but one without a clue on the big job that awaits the next president. The system will eat him alive and of course make everything his fault... Hillary knows the system – good or bad – it's the system we have out courts, our congress, our constitution, She WILL make a difference.

January 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  11. Ruth Lalonde

Hillary I am so glad you are running, We need the strength and leadership you offer. Obama is exciting, but he sounds like he is leading a revival meeting. He doesn't tell anyone how he will solve all of the problems. Will he just stand up and give another rousing speech ???

January 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  12. LV

I recognize that we have all become synical towards politicians in general. However, it is unfair for us to use a different set of expectations for each candidate based upon what is most appealing. I am a Hillary supporter and will continue to provide her my unconditional support because I believe in my heart that she can get us out of the compromising position that Bush has placed us in.

Apparently, a few beautiful words from Obama has everyone fooled to the extent that we are allowing a candidate of his caliber to move forward. He is full of false promises and has not demonstrated that he is capable of carrying out the "dream" that he refers to. Yes, I agree he is inspirational but words won't get the job done. If Obama is the candidate for the Democrats I am voting Republican because I am afraid to think of what will happen to this country if it falls into his hands. Stop bashing Hillary and for a moment stop and think about what is really happening in front of our eyes.

Lastly, I respect her even more so for having the courage to demonstrate she is human and this is a result of her demonstration of emotion on t.v.

January 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  13. San Francisco, California

Obama is a chosen candidate for president 8 years back. The machine began assembling itself 8 years back. The plan was in the works to make this man president because he was praised for his speaking ability at the democratic primarily 8 years back. This is not a movement for change. This is nothing more then a orchestrated plan created by a group of politicians who wanted to get back into the white-house. Do your homework people and you'll see how much of an establishment element Obama really is. The real movement for America is to see through all the fascade......please do your homework, ask for specifics and demand a proven record for change. If you get none then there is nothing there to begin with. If it looks like a cow, smell like a cow, sound like a cow.....it is a cow.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. bon

Obama's call for change would have more believable if he'd channel his efforts to build a new political party and present an alternative to the current situation. There is no point in calling for change within the present two-party system because these parties are essentially one and the same entity. Same dog different collars.

January 7, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. Charles T, VA

Democrats will lose this election if Hillary is nominated and that is the truth they know it. Obama will give us a fighting chance to, and will WIN IT. I can't believe how crazy democrats are to vote for hillary it beats my imagination.

1) If Hillary is nominated expect an Independent candidate to come out, half of Obamas supporters will go there and all Independents will go there so where is the strength of the democrats, when all republicans are charged up seeing hillary? Or will you guys blame Independents and Obamas supporters if democrats lose?

2) Republicans will dust Hillary and democrats will lose the white house not having a credible candidate for the future because there won't be Obama there.

3) With Obama here now for now only the race is up for grabs and Republicans will have trouble keeping some members as republicans. Obama will win the democratic, independent and some republican votes.

4) Please democrats we can't afford to fail again, and we should stop the fight between the Clinton and Obama supporters we need to unite.

5) At this hour the republican big wigs are meeting to draw up a new strategy to stop Obama from winning more republicans and to fight him.

6) This is your last chance for the next 16 years and I mean 16 years because our future will be all about security if a repub wins again.

7) And I am so sick and TIRED of people saying Obama does not have specifics. If you are serious then visit his website and get the nitty-gritty details of his plan. Are you guys kidding me? or are you all so lazy or stupid and can't do a research. Never expect details on the trail but get it from Obamas mail or his website so stop being biased.

Thank you and may God help us if we decide to screw this up again. The choice is yours out there.

January 7, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  16. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

No, Hillary. Stop the American people when they get to the part of that answer you don't understand. Then go home, preferably to Illinois to watch a tenement organizing Harvard guy fight it out with a real lawyer.

January 7, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  17. Jason

In appealing to every woman voter in our beloved country to vote for Hillary, I say humbly: If not you, who? If not now, when?

January 7, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  18. Dean Wescott in NH

Hillary most certainly has my support and my vote. She is a wonderful woman and a great Democrat who takes everything she does seriously. I do want a
    President with great experience – someone not too young, not too old – a President in the prime of life, with many hardships behind her and a proven
    track record.

The fact she is a woman and would be the first woman to break the glass ceiling of Presidential politics is also a wonderful thing.

January 7, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. kris

do u mean the War u sent them to with ur vote for no good reason?????

January 7, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. Josalyn

Clinton will win the democratic nomination, hands down. She's the best person for the presidency. Obama has no idea what he's doing. It's a shame that his little song and dance has fooled so many Americans.

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. M K M

Hillary in 2008 She is experienced, qualified and ready to take this country in a new direction! She has shown her strength by not caving in to her critics who are afraid of a strong, intelligent woman. Just because she was not a good little first lady without an opinion of their own, Hillary took on a huge burden with the health care issue. If she had not been the first lady, the howling would not have been so loud. Men have run this country into the ground. Take a look at all the women as head of state in other countries. The petty little egos that are afraid of sharing power should go retire to Florida or Texas and let Hillary show them how to lead a country.

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  22. Kevin,FL

I think Clinton will WIN NH because McCain will take the Indie Votes away from Obama which will lead the Dems to Vote Clinton.. McCain will win NH on the GOP side Just Like he Did in 2000.. NH Voters dont vote by polls they vote the way they want to vote so all these polls could mean NOTHING!!

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  23. John

If you read up a little on Hillary's past you will see that she has been genuinely passionate about this country since an early age. I do not understand the bashing she receives. I suspect that some people feel threatened by her intelligence. I say, get over it. We need somebody who is smart and experienced in the White House. And if you really want change and a new perspective, having a woman for president is more change than this country has ever had. Voting for Hillary Clinton is a forward thinking thing to do.

January 7, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  24. Jimenez

jhon smith January 7, 2008 7:39 pm ET

"GREAT! THIS IS HOW A COMMANDER IN CHIEF TALK.I WILL BE CASTING MY VOTE TOMORROW FOR YOU. I WAS OBAMA SUPPORTER BUT THE FEW PASSED DAYS SHOWED CLEARLY HE HAS NOT DELIVERED WHAT HE PROMISED ABORTION, GUN CONTROL, VOTE FOR IRAK WAR FUNDING,GOSH!
    HILLARY WHY DID YOU WAIT SO LONG TO DISCLOSE THESE RECORDS. YOU GOT MY SUPPORT"

thank you. Of course he isn't talking – he is afraid. So where the talk obama? not the singing/preaching. where is the talk?

January 7, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. CL

no matter what happens in NH with messages like this, it's NOT OVER! GO HILLARY! keep talking about experience!

January 7, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |