January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Natalie

I can certainly understand the optimism and the inspiration that all Americans are feeling from Obama's campaign. I am behind change through experience. I am a bit weary of individuals who run under the guise of change and uniting the country but do not have the track record to back them up. No matter who is elected into the white house it will be a stark change from the current administration.
    Isn't it something that the great debate over 2008 is whether to elect a women or an African American for president!

January 7, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. George Hague

I'm shocked at the Hillary bashing and the unfetted love affair with Obama. Excatly WHAT has Obama ever done? He has 24 months as a US Senator and some time in the State legislature, and he has spent every minute of it running for higher office and doing nothing in the office he holds. People in this country seem to be so enthralled with the notion of a Black President that they are willing to put this "Empty Suit" into office just because he's black.

January 7, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  3. Fred L. Crowe, Sr.

God Bless you Hilliary:
    I've been with you from the start. Not only are you the best Democratic candidate, But you are the only one who can beat the Republcans. Doesn't anyone see why the Republicans and their pundits are all but endorsing Obama. Wake up people this country cannot stand 4 more years of Replublican rule.

January 7, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. Mike

I love Hillary's message to the voters of NH. She's a great woman and she sends a great message. So what if she cried, she's passionate about what she's doing. What any of them are doing is not easy at all, they're all tired but they're going to keep kicking butt until we have a nominee.

Mike
    Orlando, FL

January 7, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. Joseph

Nice to see some positive comments about Hillary.

It really hurt my feelings, even as a male, to see negative bashing about Hillary when she got emotional, talk about double standard, people applauded Bill for being emotional, Bush for being emotional, Reagan, but with Hillary, "she's not fit to be president if she gets all tearful."

To all my gal pals, you should not tolerate this type of bashing against women in general. It's got to stop.

Be civil!

January 7, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. Tim,GA

Experience and real change is what Hillary is all about. Give Hillary a Chance and you will see.

January 7, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  7. S.K.M. Boston Mass

You forgot to add her other last minute appeal to NH;

January 7, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Chris, Wisconsin

GO HILLARY, we support you all the way!

January 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. Brian, Syracuse NY

All the video editing in the world couldn't make her look younger. She almost looks cartoonish under all that editing.

January 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. Arif

Hillary is a great women and i love her because of Bill Clinton. He was the great president ever we have. She will win at the end for sure!

January 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. brian gibson

as a canadian looking in i think clinton was very desperate with the fake tear jerker thing

January 7, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. nancy

cnn, i love you and have been a loyal fan for years!

i hope you'll decide to post the link to this blog, "little-known facts about hillary clinton" (http://gettoknowhillary.blogspot.com/).

please give her a chance, everybody!

January 7, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  13. Jason, Baltimore MD

Wow, this is the first time in a looooooong time that i have seen positive comments about her campaign. Could it be that people are finally starting to look at who the REAL change agent is?

January 7, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  14. Rob Mitchell

To the person who mentioned an African American president not being able to be taken seriously in foreign countries needs to realize that a woman wouldn't be taken seriously in a lot of eastern territories like the Middle East, India, and China–countries where we have some major economic ties. I hardly think race or gender should play a factor in your vote because all of the Democratic candidates bring a different ethnicity to the table.

Right now, I believe that Barack Obama is the best thing for the country. He's a charismatic leader and is willing to bring about change and reform a lot of the flaws in this country. He's already bringing a lot of new voters into the political world to see what he's about. His big thing is bringing the American people into the choices of the country, and he's already done that.

He'll do his best to deliver on his word, but obviously, in 4-8 years, he can't do it all–no candidate could. What he can do in 4-8 years is create a government where the people are much more involved and knowledgeable of their country's ongoings. That way, people won't be so blind as to invade Iraq or advocate things like the Patriot Act or the incomplete No Child Left Behind.

January 7, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. OMIGOD

I truely hope America will see thru Obama. Puleeeze.....are we kidding? Another guy who is green around the ears in the White House. OMIGOD.... There are those who now criticize Hillary for a little tear. No one criticized Bush for yanking on a few tears on cue. We Americans have a enormous double standard. We call Hillary the ice queen and when she shows emotion she's weak.

I used to live in NH and I truely, truely, truely hope that the NH citizens, go home, get on the web and do research on Obama and his background. You all really need to do some hard homework and look at all the facts. For the future of America and ANY hope of saving jobs from going over seas and saving middle America please go home, don't sleep, hit the internet and read and make a decision based on facts. For the future of a balanced budget, for jobs and for Healthcare.
    HILLARY 08!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  16. p

Clinton might lose a general election, but I think she would make a better president than Obama.

January 7, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  17. F Rodgers

I believe Sen. Clinton's tears were not genuine. If you recall the last N.H. Democratic debate where Sen Obama and Sen Edwards talked about health care and they mentioned that this fight was "personal to me" because individuals close to them were affected by not having full health care. Hillary spinned this and made the words "personal to me" something for her campaign. On the campaign trail, this is not Presidential. Will she start crying in heated negotiations with world leaders? This is evident that SHE is not ready on the first day.

January 7, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. Carole

GO HILLARY!!
    I know we need someone with experience in the White House. Obama, at this point in time, would be a scary thing. I remember the Carter years and what that brought about. The USA is in a much worse place now than then. I just can't imagine having someone with so little experience as President at this volatile time. Thank you 'Dubya' and the GOP!

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT 2008!!

By the way, I've seen lot's fo the 'good ol' BOYS' in Washington shed tears. So what's the big deal about Hillary tearing up john williams san diego, ca. Ya might know it would be a male that would have a problem with a woman being emotional. Ya' just can't stand the thought of a WOMAN being smart enough, tough enough and resilient enough to be President of these United States.

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT 2008!!

January 7, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. Lisa

Go Hilary!

January 7, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  20. All the way Hillary!

Everytime I hear Obomb-mo speak, he sounds anything but inspiring. It is all catch-phrases with NO concrete experiences in CHANGE given. "Change" needs to be sound, and how can he promise to end the war in such a short time? Even I can figure that we're needed there longer. He's too inexperienced for the job.

America needs someone with substance. Hillary is the choice New Hampshire!

The world is too dangerous for "Changing-diaper" inexperienced leadership and republican tunnel vision.

January 7, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  21. michael

no more clintons, we need new chapter with new history in it.

January 7, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  22. Mario

She looks like a dead cat fish with that picture YUCK!!!
    Go Mitt!

January 7, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  23. Dan

For a change. Why not a competent woman in charge?

January 7, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  24. GaryO Virginia Beach

Hillary is the best individual for the job. No doubt about it.

Personally, I would like to take a break from hearing all this "change" stuff for change. Barack wants change, Hilarry guy and he wants change. He wants to be president for a change, but then again what candidate doesn't? The most necessary change is to get

January 7, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. Joe Vanderbosch, Appleton, WI

"My name is Barack Obama and I talk about Change. Of course I don't have the record to back that up, since I skip most of the important votes. But I'm skipping them so that I can talk about CHANGE."

By the way, GO HILLARY!!