January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Ginny CA

Finally, some warm postings about Hillary. It has been so difficult to read so many hateful messages about this dedicated, hard-working woman and great American. She has paid her dues, worked-hard, accomplished much for the people of our country, and has more than earned our respect. Her message to the people of New Hampshire was right on.

We love you Hillary and are with you every minute. Sleep tight and wake up to a better day tomorrow. God Bless.

January 7, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  2. Erik

Wow! I went to Hillary's website and watched the video. I love her. She is very Presidential!

January 7, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  3. Thomas

Hillary is going to be a great President. How many more times are the other candidtaes gang up on her, but cry when she returns a little bit of fire? Who is the best prepared, most intelligent, and the most effective candidate – Hillary. I refuse to let a VERY FEW folks from Iowa take us down another risky path with an unknown, untested, and untried person. We did it with Bush, and look at what that got us!

Obama had one of the most liberal voting records when he left the Illinois legislature just 4 years ago. He had frequently promised one thing, and done another. Just because you might want to drink a beer with him (again, the George Bush argument from 2000) more than Hillary, does not make him a viable candidate for President! This is the country, not the Cheers set.

Hillary knows the issues, has been working on them, and wil solve them. Go Hillary Go!

January 7, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  4. kobby, sc

am praying without ceasing so will get the normination may god be with you.amen

January 7, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  5. Nancy

Go Hillary! You did great at the debate. Hang tough. You make all the women that came before you proud. Don't let the weirdos (that includes candidates) get to you.

Start to jog or do aerobics everyday and meditate. Jog with a pet dog.

You don't have to answer every question or debate in every state. Don't fear. The angels are watching you from above and protecting you. Don't give up!

Take it easy. Remember, most of the country hasn't even voted yet, you have plenty of time. You are the smartest candidate, you will do a great job for the country as president!

You have my family's vote! Thanks for running.

January 7, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  6. Lyle Johnson

Why is it that Senator Clinton's health care plan hasn't been voted on yet in the Senate? Is it because she has not produced one in the several years she has been in the Senate? She has "had a chance" on health care and the Iraq war for several years now.

The party of which she is a part and which she wishes to lead has neither stopped the war nor brought any troops home since taking power in both houses of the Congress; instead there has been a "surge" financed by Congress...

We don't need someone who promises to be President on day one if that person can't be a Senator by day 2,000.

January 7, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Jimmy

Come on America. Lets do it right this time. Lets not do the same thing that we did before. Hillary for President.

January 7, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  8. Seam, Philly, Pa

Hillary makes me cry. My tears are flowing down my face. Pathetic. Do we really want a President that cannot control her emotions? One minute, she does all the tough talk, but when she's losing, she gets soft and tearful. She's so fake that it makes me vomit.

January 7, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  9. cheryl nebraska

Hillary, because she is a woman, is judged with different standards. It is unfortunate but it is true. I thinks she is so intelligent on so many issues and would make the very best President. You would think after the last 7 years of having someone in office with no real grasp of dealing with issues that this country would not make the same mistake again.

Go HILLARY!!!!

January 7, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  10. Brockport - NY

Well I will say that Hillary definately has passion and has put forth alot of time and effort to get where she is, thats for sure. I know she rides the coat tails of the former president and that has also helped her along. However, you have to respect anyone who is willing to endure the road that all the candidates are currently traveling. So hats off to all of them!!

I would say to alot of people out there, as I am sure you know, that one of the most important things to being a president is surrounding yourself with a good staff. Not only that but you need someone who can be focused and handle the grind, every single day.

You can be sure that she indeed knows what kind of commitment it takes at that level, as she has lived the life herself as the first lady. Hillary strikes me as the kind of person that would surely give 100% to our country. After all....even though she wasn't successful she comitted herself to introducing national health care for everyone back when Bill was President. Although not successful that is one of the many, many, commitments this woman has taken up on the behalf of our nation, not to mention what she has done for children.

All in all if you are a supporter and if by some chance she does get elected....good for her. One thing is for sure, and this is fact. She will challenge herself everday to be better than all previous presidents and especially better than her husband. With her passion, experience and competitiveness you can count on that. Just a note.....the Clinton years were pretty good if I recall. If she can do better than Bill.....thats not all that bad.

Obama.....not so sure about him. He seems like a great speaker, is charming and good looking, but just does not have the experience that I am looking for in a leader. Edwards.....well wasn't he an attorney? Well...need I say more?

In closing I just want to say that I have always been a Democrat. I committed to that party based on my values, morals, hopes and dreams. I have however, recently decided to change my party entirely. My reason for doing this is due to the fact that I am sick and tired of the same old thing year after year. You cant trust any of them due to greed and special interests and that is what has put us where we are at today. Take a look around you. Look at gas prices, the economy in general, our foreign policy. It really disgusts me to the point that I feel sorry for my kids. After all isn't that what its really all about? Our children? Of course our parents tried to look out for us but did they actually succeed? How could they with politicians acting like they do? I dunno. I really didn't even want to vote this upcoming election due to the fact that I feel its beyond fixing and that all candidates are liars. You can't stop corruptness when it has grown this large.

Well I recently gave in and listened to all the candidates in hopes that I could find a gem....someone I could count on for my kids future and also the meager years that I have left in this great nation. I just want to say to everyone....if you are going to vote don't necessarily vote for your party if you dont like any of the candidates. Find one that "YOU KNOW YOU CAN TRUST". A Candidate that stands for what our forefathers stood for. Someone who believes in and values the great constitution of the United States. A candidate that has our interests at heart and not theirs. A candidate that will make a change and build a staff the emulates his own beliefs and goals. Honestly....I can't believe I am actually doing it, but I am converting over to the Republican party and hoping that you will read this article, care enough about our great nation and take the time to hear all of the candidates. Yes....I too want change but I want change for the good of our people of this great nation and if you do as well.....you should take a really long look at Ron Paul. I know what you are all saying but listen to me!!!!! Listen to what he has to say and then come back and blast me. Please......Just take the time....not only for yourself but the future of our children and this great nation. Time is short my friends, if nothing else make sure you take a good look at all the candidates. I am not saying I think you should vote one way or another but you must agree the same old, same old is not what this great nation needs!!!! Ask yourself this......if it were somehow possible to bring people back from the past and we brought back George Washington, Abe Lincoln, or any of our forefathers for that matter.....what would they think of how far off the path we have strayed? Seriously....think about it!!!!

January 7, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  11. Elena

We are not sheep to be herded by the media! Hillary is truly our only hope!

January 7, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  12. GaryO Virginia Beach

Hillary is the best individual for the job. No doubt about it.

But, personally, I would like to take a break from hearing about all this "change" stuff for change. Barack wants change, Hillary wants change. Every candidate wants to be president for a change, and what's so new about that? Isn't a desire for change implied when someone takes a shot at the presidency?

At any rate, Hillary is the best chance for the Democrats. The surest way for a Democrat to get a Republican elected is to vote for Barack in the primaries. Obama is just to easy a target for the Republican spin machine. The Republicans can attack Hillary, but only if they resort to their old tried and true tactics of lies, distortion, and innuendo. I think this time around, the American public won't be quite as gullible.

Go Hillary!! Balance the budget like bill did, and clean up the mess GW left us.

A woman's work is never done . . .

Thank you, Hillary, for running.

January 7, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  13. W.A Garner, Ronceverte, WV

Yes, Hillary got emotional, so what?
    It only shows that she is passionate abou what she believes.
    Reagan got emotional, teared up on several occasions,
    and he was never critizied for it....( the two bit actor he was). But, then, this is Hillary bashing,
    just like the 8 previous years in the White House.

January 7, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  14. Christine Cook

How great that Hillary has and shows human emotion, and how predictably sexist the male media at CNN in making something out of it and blaming it on her "being tired." Women of New Hampshire, show your emotions Tuesday!

January 7, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  15. ATANIA

GIVE HILLARY A CHANCE,DO NOT LET TV PERSONALITIES TO COME AND SAY:OBAAAAAAMA,AND JUMP YES YES SHE SAID OBAAAAMA, DONT INSULT OUR INTELIGENCE.

January 7, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  16. kenneth

Hillary is the best candidate to become president. She has the best qualities of all the candidates i have seen. I am black, but i am not going for Ubama because he is not the best candidate for our country at these dangerous times. Maybe in the days of peace ,he could make a great president but not now.
    It hurts my feelings to see people attack Hillary for everything she says. This has not been a level playing field. She has been held to more scrutiny, criticism and standards. If she cries, she is weak, if she gets tough-she has no emotions and is a feminist. We will be making a great mistake to nominate anybody but Hillary. We've all joined the republican play book in bashing Hillary. She is the smartest, most confident and the most experienced person to become the leader of the free world expecially in this dangerous times.

January 7, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  17. Shae Smith

Hillary please.... is this your trumped up version of Barack's campaign?

Find your own message. Give us a reason to vote FOR you.

Suggestion...."SEE" Barack's optimism and "RAISE" him on experience. People are flocking to his message and feeling.... you aren't offering anything more than the same "political speak".

Meet his optimism with your own special receipe of change – your OWN RECEIPE don't just change the ingredients in Obama's formula.

January 7, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  18. TH

I have a strong beleief on Hilary Clinton. People want to change, but they do not know what they need to change and how change it going to pleasure them. I don't see it from another candidates, but I can see it from Clinton.
    WAY TO GO!

January 7, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  19. Christine Grace, Overland Park Kansas

Mr. Kumar Singh Dhillon: I am also an Indian-American and I strongly disagree with some of your comments. The Indian-American community DOES NOT back Sen. Clinton. in fact, many of the Indians I know are supporters of Sen. Obama. Also, I believe that an African American CAN gain respect. Any intelligent, articulate human being can gain respect, in my opinion. Also, I don't think India will be the next superpower. India has a very huge economic gap between the wealthy and poor. It's infrastructure is very dismal, and the government is notoriously corrupted and slow. I think China has a better chance of being the next superpower in addition to the other permanent members of the UN council.

January 7, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. Joseph

check this out and decide for yourself.

January 7, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. Tom Davie

The BASHING Clinton gets is because she is intelligent , experienced and ready to lead.

Obama is a very good man. However, he is by far NOT the best candidate to run the country.

Clinton , Mc Cain , Guiliani are better candidates. I even think Romney is better but isnt as trustworthy.

The way the media hypes it, its almost like Obama has WON the election.

except he fails to mention he only won 16 delegates to 15 for Clinton and 14 for Edwards in Iowa.

I cant believe how much POWER the media has to HYPE anyone they choose into a ridiculous frenzy.

January 7, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  22. Leo

A real leader has the uncanny ability to rally the people around them. So far Mr. Obama has done that and Hillary has not. Hillary, stand up, hold your head high and show the nation you can lead! I believe the people will choose the best leader when all is said and done. This is only the beginning. We have a long way to go in this primary. True leaders rise to the top. So far, Mr. Obama is showing this nation that he can rise to the occasion and lead our country. I am excited. My heart pounds when I hear him speak. That's what a great leader does to people. Look at the lines of people in NH waiting to hear him speak. I can't wait to see him in person. GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  23. Jim W.

I will never understand how Democrats (and New Hampshire Independents) can vote for someone who espouses 'change' without a smidgeon of details. Its as though someone is standing up, for the first time, and yelling, "We can change the world" and voters are suddenly 'flocking' to him. And it is the unstudied 'flocking' that gives me pause: do these voters know the issues? Have they followed the mini-steps we (The Democratic Party) have had to take to get to this point after the Supreme Court gave Al Gore's election away?

Hillary has had to center herself to insure the general election viability: Senator Obama comes into the game late, and appeals to the leftest wing. He can not carry the general election.

The ONLY change Barack "McGovern" can bring, is a change of Republican administrations. He is the Ralph Nader of 2008. The Democrats of NH are shooting our party in the foot: we will not prevail in November – because we voted for "change" – – whatever the hell he means by that.

January 7, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. J Williamson Buffalo, NY

I've been supporting John Edwards during this primary season, but have always said that I will vote for the eventual Dem nominee – certainly including Hillary Clinton. I was somewhat bothered by many cynical comments regarding her tearing-up today and wanted to say something in her defence. As a female candidate she's expected to be all so many things at once – tough (in a manly sort of way), womanly (in that "aren't you cute" sort of way) – when she is seemingly being one or the other people are quick to say that she's not tough/womanly depending on the case. The men running certainly don't have to deal with this sort of situation. What do we want in a president? A robot? Something devoid of feelings and emotions? Shouldn't they be just like us – human beings, with human emotions and human attachements – and something short of perfection? Today we saw Mrs. Clinton in what might have been the most geniune moment of the campaign. Who among us has never felt tired or pressured? It wasn't a power-hungry maven I saw in the midst of the political gathering – it was a person who looked just like every other person in that room, alas they have their stories too.

January 7, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  25. aware

Hillary has my vote and my prayers. I am a pastor's wife and a student of Theology.

The Obama movement worries me. the higher he rises in the polls, the more his arrogance becomes evident and the more his grin starts to look like a Bush smirk.

His style of "rising above it all" is also like Bush whose "my way or the highway" presidency has not produced the unity he promised.

Obama has the Hawaiian "talk story" down pat but seems to lack substance and specificity.

America is a land of hope and opportunity but it didn't get there on the "Be Happy" "Hang Loose" bus.

Hillary is doing just fine. She just needs to be herself, to keep praying and to give thanks.

Hillary is a very special lady with much to offer!

January 7, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |