January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. talmis

I did not like Hillary before the debate on Saturday and she completely convince me on that debate about her capability of beat the republicans as well as her leadership skills. I really like Obama for president, but not now...in a few years after he has a little of time to measure his ideas with the reality of the office. During the debate he spoke in very general terms many times and other problem is his tendency to hesitate before answering, this will not work in a debate face to face with the republican candidate for president, he has a lot to work towards a more effective debate technique. I started the debate thinking that my only choice was Obama and I was a little disappointed for several reasons:
    – first in my opinion, he better distance himself from the populism of John Edwards (that is a very bad road, I am sorry but John Edwards looks and sometimes behaves like a car dealer but instead of cars he tries to sell "change" ...)
    -second, if Hillary asked him about his record he shouldn't answer "let's talk about the issues", he should clarify why he changed his vote in congress several times (it is OK to change your vote but you have to explain why and not change the subject ..)
    -third, all of them are change (any of the democrats is certainly change) and using the word "change" so repeatedly is not going to work in this very long campaign.
    For all of these if I could dream a little now....., I would like to see Hillary as president and Obama as Vice-president. On that way we would get the freshness of ideas from Obama and the experience and toughness of Hillary. Yes, she is tough an she has to be tough if she wants to win this election.

Thank you and good luck for all!

January 7, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  2. Bill W - PA

"If you read up a little on Hillary's past you will see that she has been genuinely passionate about this country since an early age, blahblah

If you read anything about Hillary's past, you will see that she has been genuinely involved in scandals and corruption.

Take some time to read it.

January 7, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. David

I think "Hillary is an exceptional candidate for this race 08". I hope people realize that we need somebody with experience to provoke change status quo and I see that in Hillary . Not because she is Bill's wife ... looking at her records to accomplishments that she had in her career.

Vote for Hillary.. GO Hillary.

January 7, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. Amanda K

I'm so glad to see some of Senator Clinton's supporters posting on this blog.

It has been an exciting year......... to watch Hillary's run for the Presidency.

The woman is amazing.

No matter what happens tomorrow in New Hampshire..... Hillary Rodham Clinton has already MADE HISTORY!!!!!!

And she will continue to MAKE HISTORY!!!!

January 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. Elliot

Hillary will most certainly have my vote. And if Bill Richardson would run as her VP I would be over joyed. I feel she is the only candidate who is not simply tossing words around to stir the emotions of people hoping for a better life.

I feel she has the plans and determination to move this country forward, regaining the respect of other nations and hopefully within her time fixing the medical issues as well as the deficit which is killing the country

As far as I am concerned using New Hampshire or Iowa as measure of a persons success is ludicrous.

Do you really think they represent a cross section of the American People and the American Values and dreams?

January 7, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. Amanda K

I'm so glad to see some of Senator Clinton's supporters posting on this blog.

The woman is amazing.

And she will continue to MAKE HISTORY!!!!

January 7, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. Dan Seattle, WA

To the Hillary supporters:

I wish her well. She is not my candidate of choice. I don't buy her experience argument (7 years in Senate vs. 4 for Obama + he has 12 years in the state legislature), though I can understand how some people do (assuming the assign first lady as relevant experience for being president). She has a lot of skills and intelligence. I question her judgment–take her Iraq vote. I question her ability to drive real change when she has been part of the entrenched establishment that's gotten us into some of our quandaries.

I'm just tried of all her supporters lambasting me for supporting Obama based on researching both of their positions, skills, and strengths, and still coming down in favor of him.

January 7, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. Ellen

Obama has used the word "change" like he can dictate how this country will be governed. Unfortunately, our presidency doesn't work that way. It is a tremendously difficult job. You have to know how to work with the congress, and Obama does not have that skill.

Before you vote, think very deliberately. Let me pose a question. If, God forbid, on the day before the inauguration our country is hit by a nuclear bomb, do you want Obama to be the one inaugurated? He doesn't have the knowledge or the skill to take on this kind of responsibility. He will have to yield to other people's advice in the matter. One of the reasons our country is broken is because Bush relied on the advice of people who had their own agenda.

I respect Obama's youth, his hope, and his desire for change; however, without knowing exactly how he intends to go about making those changes, we will be traveling on unstable ground.

January 7, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. Dave W.

Being from Canada, I would like to thank Americans for the entertainment I am getting out of your primarys. I have followed these campaings for the lat year and there are a few questions that have to be answered. Why has Hillary Clintons past scandals not received any attention? How does she have the nerve to bring up Obama voting against funding the war and then voting for it, when she was so easily fooled or conned into "invading" Iraq to begin with? If Hillary can use the eight years she was in the White House when her husband was President, can the garderner, maids, secretaries, secret service and others also use their time spent at the White House to get them elected President? Get serious. Out of the four remaining serious candidates Hillary ranks 4th.

January 7, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  10. HVu

Most of the independent voters in NH are Republican and they will vote for Obama. That is the only strategy they have left. This tactic may work in IOWA and New Hamshire, but it won't work in New York, CA and many other states.
    American will elect Hillary Clinton as president of the United States in 2008.

Cheers!

January 7, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  11. CONNIE

A VOTE FOR HILLARY....I HOPE THE PEOPLE OF THE USA ARE NOT TO INFULENCED BY THE NEWS MEDIA WHEN THEY VOTE. EVERYTHING IN PRINT IS NOT ALWAYS TURE IT IS THE WORDS OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WRITING THE STORY AND HOW THEY PRECEIVE IT. I FEEL THAT SOME OF THE COMMENTS SWAY THE ISSUE. HILLARY HAS MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, AND WILL DO THE BEST JOB AS PRESIDENT. SHE IS WELL SPOKEN AND LISTENS VERY WELL TO PEOPLE'S COMMENTS. SHE HAS MADE MANY CHANGES FOR THE BEST. REMEMBER SHE STARTED THE HEALTHCARE ISSUES. OVER THE PAST 7 YEARS THE PRESIDENT HAS NOT LISTENED TO THE PEOPLE HE HAS HIS OWN ADGENDA..WE NEED SOMEONE WHO LISTENS AND WILL MAKE CHANGES. SHE IS THE PERFECT PERSON WHO WILL DO THIS. BILL CLINTEN WAS A WONDERFUL PRESIDENT HE MADE CHANGES FOR THE BEST AND THEN REPUBLICANS CAME IN AND TURNED IT AROUND AGAIN. I FEEL IN MY HEART THAT HILLARY IS DEDICATED AND WILL DO ALL SHE CAN TO MAKE IT TURN AROUND AGAIN.
    PLEASE VOTE FOR HILLARY.

January 7, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  12. Senator

Can anyone honestly understand what he means by HOPE and CHANGE? Does he really think he can solve the problems facing this nation just by uttering those two words again and again. He looks and acts very similar to Bush in 2000. Bush talked the same stuff then i.e. CHANGE and UNITER. See where we are now. I think Americans can think and act better than just blindly following this man. I think he is selling snake oil to his followers.

January 7, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. f

GO HILLARYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  14. lolo

Go Hillary! I am with you all the way. If Obama wins; he will start sing praises to Allah!!!! That is what you independents are voting for.

January 7, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  15. JohnB

If someone cannot see the humanity, legitimacy or entegrity in Hillary's conversation, then I am afraid my friends, you are in for more of the same the next four years.
    Here is a woman who had the COURAGE to let her softside be exposed.
    That does take courage.
    When she explained how much she cared about this country and why, I was
    amazed at the depth she has.
    If you attempt to ridicule anyone for being legitimate to the core in front of you then
    YOU ARE LOST as a human being.

January 7, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  16. Brian

To all the Hillary bashers and Obama supporters go to the website for the Trinity United Church of Christ. This is the church that Barack Obama is a member of and the pastor, Jeremiah Wright is his spiritual advisor. This shows the real inner Barck Obama and his private beliefs are. He has been trying to hide this fact, but now it is coming out.

January 7, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  17. jones

Don't give up Hillary!

January 7, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  18. Lisa

The media spin on this whole election is frightening.

I believe Hillary is the better candidate but the media should let us all make up our mind by giving us the FACTS. It is ridiculous that the pundits are calling the race practically over.

What happened to the time when the media would do all the investigation of the records of each of the candidates and discuss those, instead of talking about fluff???

January 7, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  19. lk in NH

Go Hillary! We think you're AWESOME! We know that you can bring about change, since you've been doing it for 35 years.
    Obama is a fraud...he flip flops on the issues, he votes present, and he even has a lobbyist as his campaign chair. FRAUD!!!
    Hillary, stay strong. And it's ok to get emotional sometimes. Only men out there will put you down for it, but every woman out there remembers the time she broke down crying even though she tried so hard to hold back the tears. We all know those situations, and it's sad that men, like John Edwards, say you're not strong enough because your emotions got to you.

January 7, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  20. Hopeful

Go Hillary! No matter what happens we are so proud of you. I am not sure what people have against experience. I want change and I also want experience. You offer both. You have the support of me and my entire family on Super Tuesday. Hang in there!!!!

Go Hillary... Go Blue.... Go Wellesley...

Wellesley '99
    A woman's place is in the house... The WHITE HOUSE..

January 7, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. Tinman

Hillary your the best...

January 7, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  22. arleen

OK my American friends, here's what it looks like to Canadians and probably the rest of the world. Americans choose leaders cause they're nice...please grow up.
    Americans need someone who is tough, smart, and experienced.

Imagine a really nice guy who is smart but VERY young coming into your office and telling you what to do cause he talks and looks nice.
    Do you want a nice doctor or someone who is going to help you get better.

Although I thought Barak Husein Obama's victory speech in Iowa was as inspiring as I've ever seen, it doesn't mean he can be president.
    As an ally country I beg my American friends to elect a president based on qualifications rather than good talker and being "likeable".

The world is watching...don't make a mistake please!

January 7, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. J. McKinney SW MO

Go, Hillary! We are with you. I just hope there are enough intelligent voters out there to back you, and elect your our next president. MADAM PRESIDENT–'08

January 7, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  24. Fred, Walnut Creek, CA

GO HOME HILLARY. TAKE BILL WITH YOU. YOU'RE FINISHED...WASHED UP.

We the people don't want to live through four or eight more years of Clinton corruption.
    The American people are tired of your pathetic stories, lies, deceitfulness, and elitist attitude.

I can't believe all these people on this blog that BUY INTO YOUR FAKE EXPERIENCE.

January 7, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |