January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. George Porter

We don't need another bush in the white house . You vote for obama you have the same as george bush no expierience,on the job trainning. You vote for Hillary YOU GOT some one to take this country back to the great country we have always been
    I live in Florida And can wait to vote for her Way to go Hillary !!!

January 7, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. Truth

The ugly truth is that the US is not ready to elect a woman as a president. Hillary is by far the best candidate, because you cannot promise change without knowing how you would do it...A conservative country would always make sure to keep women away from being in charge. Freedom??? Such a hypocrisy!!!

January 7, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. redmosquito

Plllllllllllllllease Hillary!!
    Ready on day one?? For what?? To ask Bill what to do? You talk about your experience, you HAVEN'T governed. You talk about change?? Yet your campaign is loaded with those hacks of yester-year. I haven't heard you address your plans to get the millions of AMERICANS off our streets. What about the AMERICANS who go hungry each day?? Day one, huh?? Like you'll create dramatic change on that first day??? Really? Tell me something MEANINGFUL you could get done on day one. ONE THING?? You ARE yesterday. Your policies ARE yesterday. The only thing I see happening on day one is YOU NOT ATTENDING. Why??? Because you CAN'T WIN A NATIONAL ELECTION. That's why.

January 7, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Hillary backers are delusional. She's the most divisive candidate to come along in years. The last thing this country needs is another 4 years of polarized electorates – and that's all we'll get from another Clinton Presidency.

Hillary = Politician
    Obama = Leader

Go Obama!!!

January 7, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. zhangjun

I'm a Chinese. You Americans seem to me so cynical and silly, completely against the using of Brain! I caught most of the stump speeches by both of them. I don't buy the argument that Obama is eloquent or persuasive. On the contrary, he stutters all the time. Most of all, full of empty words such as hope or change without giving details how to accomplish it. And the crowd seems to be impressed. so stupid. No wonder our Presidents, though dictators, are always way smarter than yours, b/c you guys only know how to elect a demagogue w/o actual wisdom of governing. Governing requires experience, and insight of dealing with people of all kinds. Simple-mindedness like Bush has made my country so prosperous these years!
    The only exception is Bill Clinton who is both smart and a demagogue. Yet it's increasingly difficult for stupid and no-brainer people like you Americans to elect serious people to the presidency.
    I'm looking forward to the farce of an Obama's administration in the world. We of course love such silly choices. That means we can continue our rise to prosperity w/o worry about any threat. America is doomed. Ha ha....

January 7, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  6. eesu

I am very glad to read all these positive comments about Hillary. We know from the very beginning that she is the most intelligent and best qualified person to lead this country and stand with us and regain our lost values,domestic, as well as restore our moral standing in the world. Please people of NH, wake up and let us stand with her in this troubled times to heal and recover our ailing economy, our trillions deficit, health care coverage for the children,senoirs and for our men and women in uniform,etc. Hillary is very passionate about what is right for our country and we should be too. So please face reality and not the ILLUSION OF CHANGE that Obama, A NOVICE AND INEXPERIENCED PERSON is offering but will not be able to deliver within four years. What happened to his voting papers in Illinois that suddenly went missing? " He has done nothing for Illinois" comment from an Illinois resident on CSPAN. It will take a person like Hillary to start the job as President right away on day one.

January 7, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  7. Kathy Porter

We have had change. We have had George Bush ! Not only that, we put him in a second term. Is that what you want again? This country is so badly damaged that some one that is not experienced in all areas will surely put us in a bigger mess than we have now. Hillery has been connected for a long time , knows the smart people , and can work with congress and reach across the aisle.
    It's one thing to say they will do what ever,,,, but you can't do it alone, you need the cooperation of the congress. She's my choice all the way....Go Hilleray!

January 7, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  8. hank

Its good to get emotional,i get emotional when i care . Hillary cares for her country,nothing wrong with that ,so come on N,H , DO THE RIGHT THING VOTE HILLARY BECAUSE SHE CARES, not only for the country , also the people.

January 7, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  9. Prayu

Here's what makes her so fake; she is cold and calculating, many Washington insiders were terrified of her during her reign as First Wife. We know that's how she really is. All this is now, is a well done drama to show her weak side and soften her image. Nothing arouses sympathy like a woman crying; you think people are being chauvinistic or callous for calling her out on it? She's using her gender as an advantage now, and i'm sure numerous well meaning dolts will be tricked by her skits.

And for the record, the Presidency is an occupation that requires intelligence, leadership skills and a strong sense of moral fiber and responsibility. Obama has all of those in spades; he won my respect for coming out and admitting that he had almost been lured into serious drug use, in his youth. It was not a politically beneficial thing to say; but it was the truth. And people can identify with someone who has made mistakes in his past, a REAL person; not some political schemer who cries when people see her as cold, or constantly shifts her campaign message to the flavor of the week.

January 7, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  10. Chris, Sarasota, FL

FOLKS WAKE UP!!!! Only one democrat can win this election and that's John Edwards. I truly believe the republican party is funding Obama and Clinton because they know they will beat either of these candidates! Wake up before it's to late!

January 7, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. R

I have researched all of the candidates, and some how Obama's message of hope and change does not sit well with me! i don't know about the rest of America but all that talk about "hope and change" is not going to help America. Im a realist and Obama's message seems like bull to me. Being inspired is not going to help our country, what we need is strong, calculating president who can figure out our problems and start fixing them. I just don't think Obama can handle it.

January 7, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  12. Mary

I am wondering why my post never go through

January 7, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Uma, mpls, MN

what ever polls say but my gut feeling you will win in NH and will start your victory phase.

NH people are very intelligent and smart, they have brain and heart and use both when they look for president and i'm sure Hillary will be the winner of tomorrow night.

No way America is ready to vote for Hussein......or Trial lawyer what the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. Anne

What a bunch of interesting comments....wow – lets put down Clinton cause one doesn't believe she can deliver on what she says – get a grip – neither can ANY OF THE candiates....she however, has done more than ANY OF THE OTHER candidates – experience counts or else, all college graduates would be president of the companys they go to work for!

January 7, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  15. ron

Hillary has my vote.. HILLARY IN 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  16. F. Sjogren

Obama is an empty suit. This country cannot be manage slogan. This "great speech" the spinners talk about is nothing but a brazen example of plagiarism.
    Remember Joe Biden who was severely critisized for using that English man's remarks some years ago when he first tried for the Democratic nomination? Why is Obama being given a pass. He is just a lot of hot air. Hillary scares the pant of othe men.

January 7, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  17. Dy

Popular motions and influences want me to vote for Obama. His speeches truly had me moved. I like him and have read both his books.

However, I agree with Hillary more than I do Obama on almost every major issues, plus she is better prepared and more experienced.

I try to vote with my mind not my heart, and as much as I am "in love" with Obama my mind tells me its more of an infatuation.

I am voting for Hillary.

January 7, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  18. Cindy L

Hillary...35 years of experience...at doing whatever it takes to keep a marriage to an unfaithful man...
    What I don't get is, what do denial and self-betrayal have to do with the presidency?

January 7, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  19. Tony

This woman has devoted her life to public service. Please give her a break. And, she deserves a shot without the cheap shots.

A smart woman indeed!

January 7, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  20. George Porter

I live in Florida and can't to vote for Hillary . she is rhe only one that can bring us out of this mess we are in.Talk about a phony Barack is just that !!!!! GO HILLARY

January 7, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  21. Concerned

Hillary and Obama both are corporate politicians. They will promise the world right now just to get in. After all, is that not what every candidate has done since the dawn of man?

What are these candidates opinions on exporting jobs, or removing the H1B limits? Given their need for great monitary support, they will continue to sell Red Blooded Americans out, so that coporations can make more money.

Where is the true defender of the middle class?

Folks, let's dig in and ask the very very hard questions! What are they going to do about our economy and it's future, relative to the globalization efforts set forth by corporations?

This country is rapidly becoming a 3rd world nation due to these 'corporate politicians' and their willingness to give jobs away... at the middle class's expense.

January 7, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  22. Joshlyn

Hillary better shove it in to overdrive and go after Obama and reveal to the people that we do not want to vote for a muslim. A man that will not even place his hand on his heart during the pledge to the flag. The time has come for people to wake up and smell the muslim. He does not deserve the right to run for president since he has decieved the American People. He is a liar and he must be ashamed of his relegion. Hillary lets put Barack in his place and its not the President of the United States. Let's give him a one way ticket to Hell.

January 7, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  23. Anne

Hopefully the Super Tuesday will end up on the most postive of notes.......I am surprised at the reasons for the support of Obama....'not another Clinton' – ecks – and did these same persons vote for 'yes another Bush???"

I think it was also missed by the reporters that Edwards made a claim and claimed that he worked on the Health Care program and sorta neglected to tell anyone that it never passed the House. Clinton pointed that out during the most recent debates. Did you catch it? If not, go back and watch – someone may wake up to the fact that Edwards certainly is polished in the mire of omission of facts. Spin – spin – spin .....watch out NH.....

January 7, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  24. jms

Please dear God, anybody but HRC (Her royal Clintononian)

January 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  25. Anne

And Edwards talking about how 'personal' it was to him regarding health care issues and people who do not have health care. I can only figure that his wife's medical situation is being paid for somehow...and if not by his own health care insurance...let us know John. Thanks.

January 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |