January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. NIGHTMARE IN NY

Women won't vote for Hillary Clinton because they know that she is a traitor!

January 7, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  2. Anonymous

An orator speaks well and inspires. A leader gets things done. I don't care if Obama could charm a starving dog off a meat wagon–he doesn't have the experience or detailed enough plans to be an effective president. HIllary gets my vote.

January 7, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  3. JB

No wonder Hillary is tearing up. Here she has put her heart and soul and endless hours of work into making this country a better place only to be outpolled by an over confident newcomer who breaks upon the scene with a good look but a blank slate. It's enough to make any working women of the early boomer years bawl. Haven't we lived this? But that's the past, right, America? ..and I ask this question, can WE, the voters, change?

Vote for competence. Vote Hillary.

January 7, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  4. votehillary

I am a first time voter I will vote for Hillary, Obama has nothing to show other than being a young politician with a bright future, sure he has potential but we need yet to see what he have done to deserve the highest post on this planet. he is pale and has nothing to show, while for Hillary, we know she is for middle class, she is for stronger america, she is for peace in the world. she has shown that and it is in her blood.

January 7, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  5. Jim, Okla.

Senator Hillary Clinton for President "2008" Do not let them discourage you. We support you in Oklahoma. My University is full of young people who love you.
    Be strong. Senator Barack Obama is full of Blu blu blu. He says the same thing over and over again, which does not amount to much at all. A present vote, no stance.

January 7, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  6. olga aros, phoenix, arizona

Americans we have waited too long for the right person to come along and re-shape the future of this country. Our next president must possess a big vision of the future and have the executive experience to make it happen.

When you have only 2 years (Obama) 6 years (Edwards) it is not enough to move our country forward quickly. Each of us have been in new jobs and most of us have had to cope through on the job training. We know in a very personal way how we performed as we were gaining knowledge, experience and skills. We had to learn to build effective relationships in order to navigate effectively.

Our country needs the most experience, most knowledgeable candidate now. Our problems are complex and need immediate change. We cannot afford to place an individual who need OJT. Come on....you know this!

The most experienced, qualified candidate is what the job calls for. This is Hillary. Judge her on her accomplishment and what she has delivered to this country. This equates to her doing even more than you can imagine.

Imagine for one moment...this historical change of events. Dig deep and know that your choice must be Hillary. All other rhetoric aside she is the most qualified, know how to navigate, understands the critical issues, knows the players and will exercise her will to make it happen. She needs us behind her now.....take the time to assess the "words" being said! She is the only one that can deliver them.

January 7, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  7. ATANIA

I DO NOT AGREE WITH HILLARY'S PERSONALITY,BUT I DO AGREED THAT SHE IS OVER QUALIFIED TO BE MY NEXT PRESIDENT.AND SHE WILL BE THE BEST,HER EXPERIENCE AND DEDICATION TO OUR COUNTRY IS ALL NEED.

January 7, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. From The North

I'm not for or against any party or Candidate. But looking in from the North, I see Hillary as the best choice for President. I believe she is the Real Deal and don't care whether she is a Clinton, Bush, Carter, or Reagan. As America needs a strong, experienced, capable leader to clean up the mess made by this Administration.

She has the experience on the home front and internationally, she knows politics from both sides, can see the camelions and knows how to put them in their place.

She can deal with criticism and when necessary put the critics in their place and move on with the real issues at hand.

She's an intellectual and an experienced negotiator.

She's been tarred and feathered unfairly for years in public and is still front and center, strong, and determined to win for her country and people.

She knows how to cross great divides and unite differences for the good of all and has done so as Senator. She earned respect even from her enemies as a Senator.

She has compassion for the disadvantaged, oppressed, elderly and sick.

She has fought for Veterans, the Physically Challenged, Single Moms, Women, and the Aged when others turned their backs.

She's lived through hard times, met the challenges head on, took and is still taking the public lashings and became stronger, wiser. and more determined as a result.

She has a vision and a plan for a better America and the stamina, courage, wisdom, and capability to carry it through.

She is not a quitter and go the extra miles and use every sinew and muscle to get the job done.

I truly believe she has a genuine concern for her country and it's people.

Obama nor Edwards is ready for the Presidency. Those who vote for either are feeding the Republican dream. They want you to vote Obama or Edwards as they know they are the easier to beat and will ensure a Republican in the White House.

Don't play their game. If there's one thing that will bring America to the depths of despair it's another Republican President. America won't survive another Repulican Government. America will do well to survive under it's present government untill 2008.

Don't get caught up in the politcal games for power and glory. Don't vote for the party. Vote for the Candidate who has the experience to handle the great task before them and can restore your Nation and it's reputation.

Sometimes those who are not in the middle of the situation can see it more clearly. And looking in from Canada its very clear that Republicans are using their spin machines to oust the one they know they can't beat, Hillary. Don't take the bait as Americans and the World will pay the ultimate price.

I pray that the present Government won't use the same tactics it did with Iraq to start yet another fiasco with Iran before their term is done. And given the headlines in the news it sounds very much like the same rattlings I heard before the attack on Iraq. Americans decision in this election will be the most important decision they have made in decades. Please think long and hard before casting your votes as not only America but the World is at stake.

January 7, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  9. L.C.

Hillary is smart, capable and SPECIFIC. Obama speaks in generalizations. She is the best and the most qualified to get us out of this Bush-induced mess. Please vote for her. She will make a comeback – I feel it. I'm offended by Oprah and her touchy-feely manipulations. Oprah – go sell a book.

January 7, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  10. Vic Novosad, Sugar Land, TX

I've admired Hillary Clinton for many, many years, beginning when she presented her health plan in the nineties. That the Senate voted her plan down, and she gets criticism to this day, is the very reason Barak Obama should NOT be voted in as president. She has admitted that her naivete in the ways of Washington contributed to her failure. So it will be for Obama. Nevertheless, Senator Oren Hatch, Republican from Utah, had praise for her hard work and intelligence.

My admiration for her was sealed last year when in a hearing on the Iraq war was held and Donald Rumsfeld was being questioned, it was none other than Senator Hillary Clinton who had him squirming in the hot seat when she asked him why Congress was not being kept informed concerning the Bush Administration's plans for Iraq. IT WAS NOT LONG AFTER THAT HEARING THAT THE DEMOCRATS WON A MAJORITY ELECTION, AND DONALD RUMSFELD WAS REPLACED.

Just remember this folks: You don't have to VOTE for Barak Obama in order to adore him. Instead show him your support by voting instead for Hillary, and his turn will come. It will only help him by waiting his turn, just as she has.

January 7, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  11. James

Hillary has 35 years experience. Obama has two years experience. Which is better? Go figure.

January 7, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. brian

The distinguished gentlewoman form the great state of.... where is she from? Oh yea the state who conveniently had an open senate seat when she needed to get the experience she constantly boasts about...she claims 35 years of service. funny she omits she was a private attorney, a stay at home mother , and the wife of an actual elected official for the bulk of the 35 years she claims. 7 years in actual government. during which she has not managed to successfully get any substanstial legislation passed. On the other had the distiguished gentleman from Illinois served over 10 years in the state government. introduced over 1000 pieces if legislation, successfully passed legislation helping children the poor, and the underprivilaged of his state. Every time he speaks he does so with compassion. that is different than rhetoric. He has stayed away from the dirty pool guised as good politics that the Clintons are famous for. He has held his head up and trudged ahead. The clintons are the authors of a great campaign strategy. One that worked well for it's time. They just became so full of themselves they forgot to notice that the times have changed. Hillary assumed it was a lock!! so much so that she is stunned to find the people have not fallen for the lie yet again.. So.... when spit and polish fails..... and Being nasty fails..... then... bring on the tears!!.. All the while Mr Obama has stayed focussed on his message not worrying about her message.. Courage and integrity are not coined phrases well executed to get the proper punch. They are not beholden to the latest poll numbers. They are steady and true when they are up or when they are down.. please notice how when she is down the true colors do come out.. The truth is she is a smart lady she has a wonderful daughter, she accepts adultry, believes in convenient murder ( Ask Vince Foster) and will take credit for what ever she thinks people will believe. ... It is my heartfelt desire that she reap what has been sown..

January 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  13. Ann

I fail to understand why getting a divorce is considered so laudable. Guess the notion of commitment and forgiveness is not sanctioned these days.

January 7, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  14. Cole in Los Angeles

Obama may in fact win. So did Arnold. People, all of us, are so desperate for something new. Change? The truth is, the public does have a right for something new, something different, something that will place this country on the right track. BUT, this is politics people. This is not a corporation for profit, otherwise, yes, a great Leader will do just fine. We need a Leader AND a Politician. I wish people would really think of what is possible and what will take more than 8 years and a new face to turn things around. Progress stalls. Why? Because it takes a leader AND a politician than can negotiate and produce change with politicians. Congress and the federal government as a whole is not just waiting for someone to take over and lead them. They will not follow! So what good is a good leader if he doesnt believe politics is equally if not more important here. Isn't running for president political in and of itself? I would like to think the government would just follow a leader like Obama. But in fact, he will create stall, maybe for the wrong reasons i.e. young, black, inexperienced, "the saviour", but truthfully, it is sad that Obama may win just because we are so desperate. We deserve change, although I have become to dislike the use of this "niche", but truthfully, he doesnt have the political experience to make people follow him. Congressmen and women will not just say "Ok Obama, we havent' known what to do before you got here. Tell us what to do!" There are way too many politicians that will be insulted by his seemingly pompous demeanor in which he portrays himself as the saviour. Yeah, sure. politicians will just forget everything they have worked for and be welcoming to someone that is trying somehow prove that you really dont need experience. We are not at church people. Sad to say, because faith goes a long way. But this is the US Federal Government we are talking about. So, voting for him, will create yet another pause towards progress. Obama's inspiration is good, but not enough to run this country as the president. I'd rather vote for the wimp of Edwards who may be vying for a VP for position under Obama, or even McCain. Take this for what is worth...but think about it. This is why our voting is really not a direct vote for the delegates, hence electoral votes.

January 8, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  15. susan2

Holy smokes...she "welled up" ??? Are you kidding me? What do you think will happen if she ever is in a room with someone like Putin???

January 8, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  16. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

I wish Barack would have had the humility to realize that a person with less than (at the time) 2 years in the senate is not ready to be running for president . If he had been more humble and actually learned how to be a good senator before aiming for the brass ring, I would probably had voted for him.

As it is, I think that Hillary is the best choice for these trying times. I think that she would be a good president.

January 8, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  17. Daniel

Well let's wait to see what New Hampshire have to offer.May the best candidate who can help solve the problems win.I will be praying for the four contestants .

January 8, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  18. Response to JD

Obviously this is a man (or woman) who is not comfortable with a woman running the country. I completely disagree with this ridiculous interpretation.

January 8, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  19. Bob

Can someone please explain to me what experience Mrs. Clinton has? She keeps touting 35 years of experience, but I don't think anyone is really buying it. Does she think we are stupid?

January 8, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  20. ss

she needs to stop arguing about she will be the best on day one. it is not enough to make a case for her – she needs to be talking about how she will be better for 4/8 years. she needs to differentiate with her plan. she uses one of the most stupid line "i have already been doing it for 35 years...." that is a big put off – no one likes where we are and then remiding people that what she wants to do is already being done is suicide. she needs to talk about how her experience and learning she has collected in 35 years and how it will help her bring better chage. i feel sorry for her being washed by a bad campaign message.

if obama wins the democratic primary, rebuplicans will kill him with his middle name – it will not be just first black president but first "muslim" president – yes he was brought up christian but he was born muslim and his mother married again to a muslim.

January 8, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  21. Angela

I think all the Hillary bashing is stupid. She's the most intelligent leader who is running for president. It's time the American people got beyond their high school mentality of voting for the person they thought was the best looking or the person they thought was the coolest–that's why George W. Bush got elected–and look where it got us. It's time we stopped electing people because we think it would be fun to drink beer with them or because they know how to hunt animals. And just on general principles I can't support Obama or Edwards because they have engaged in bashing Hillary's character–even her clothes. They've become so petty, it's undignified.

January 8, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  22. K

I don't want another inexperience President in the white house.

I will not waste my vote on an inexperience candidate like Obama and Edwards.

Obama missed 80% of US senate votes especially key issues like Iran. There are times he's present but he doesn't vote on issues. He couldn't even fulfill his duties as a US Senator. Is This the kind of leader you want in the white house?? Heaven help us if he becomes president.

I would like to see economic growth, more jobs, balanced budget, TRILLION DOLLAR SURPLUS.

January 8, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  23. Mary

I am a professional speaker. I can inspire and bring an audience to tears. I have motivated people to do extraordinary things...in business. I have even won speech and debate contests...

BUT, I am NOT qualified to be President – the Chief Executive Officer of the US and Commander-in-Chief

...even tho I am a smart, informed, caring, progressive and practical political junkie who can turn a phrase.

THINK about it, People. QUALIFICATIONS MATTER!

Barack has some great rhetoric and organizing ideas...and has captured everyone's imagination...even mine.

But, I – like "Aware" am a little troubled by his cool. detached – almost – arrogance. His wife Michelle is very impressive, but is also a little condescending, too...in my view.

Bill and Hillary Clinton with all their real and/or perceived flaws (which BTW are no greater than most of us or even a few Biblical heroes) have never seemed arrogant to me. They seem humble and genuinely interested in people...even tho they are two of the most gifted people on the planet. They often seem even tickled at their rise to the heights they have both achieved.

I like to hear Barack talk...but I am STILL with HILLARY...

I believe she IS the most qualified...and the most respected and able to work w Congress and across the aisle with all but the most hatefilled wingbats on the right.

And, John Edwards – I was in your corner and sent you money, but I am not happy with your attack dog strategy against Hillary. Cut it out and stick to the issues. AND I was very disappointed to learn that your patients bill of rights "success story" never passed into law. That was not a very good example to bring up...you may not be as smart as I hoped you were.

I am praying hard for all of them and all of us...because this election really IS important in BIG BIG ways. Be wise!

January 8, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  24. Tracy

Senator Clinton is the most qualified to get the changes this country desperately needs. It's refreshing to read such positive input from so many of you here. Thank you for restoring my hope that not everyone is fooled by the media spin.
    Go Hillary!

January 8, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  25. j. Page

I could NOT believe that CNN would have a pig like Dick Morris on their MSNBC show tonight. He kept going on and on about how Clinton did not want Obama to run because he was black and she was racist????? Are you kidding me? That pig is just a Clinton hater and is using the WORST filth he can spew to get his point across. What has Black got to do with ANYTHING...now if Colin Powell were to run people SHOULD be linning up to get him in there. But this guy??? Jr. Senator? What the he– does he KNOW and have to Offer?? He if you notice hasn't said a thing accept CHANGE. Well, he–! I want Change but I am not presidential material and NEITHER IS HE!! What is so bad about this whole thing is that even Hillary's fellow Democrats have turned on her accept for Richardson..because those fools believed that she was the one to BEAT and if they can get the MEDIA to back this idea that NH loss will put her out of the RACE they will turn on OBAMA so quick his head will fly off! Because THEY ALL know he is ripe for the picking..he has NOTHING TO STAND ON...NO EXPERIENCE, NO FOREIGN POLICY, nothing! I voted for Bill Clinton and I would do it again a million times! WE were SOOOOOO much better off when he was in office. And as most smart people Hillary has done nothing but get smarter and study politics since her time in the WH...so its a two for one sweet deal!. Everytime I turn on the TV Iwant to hurl .....AND New Hampshire if they do succeed in getting BO in office and we end up as bad off as we all KNOW we will, well they have themselves to thank! And they will be the ones bit–ings the most when it happens. Like the Idiots they are

January 8, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |