January 7th, 2008

Clinton's closing argument in New Hampshire

The CNN Ticker

Clinton is launching her closing argument in New Hampshire.

(CNN) - Tonight, Hillary Clinton made her final two-minute television appeal to New Hampshire voters during the 6 p.m. news, with a spot that stressed experience and promised real change. Full script after the jump.

Thank you New Hampshire, for welcoming me into your homes and hearts.

And when you vote, I hope you'll ask one question. Who's ready to be president on day

one?

America is at a crossroads. We're a nation at war in a dangerous world. We have a

faltering economy, an energy crisis, and 47 million people without health care.

But, after seven long years of this administration, we finally have the opportunity for a

new beginning. Tomorrow, you can take the first step.

After all the town meetings, it comes down to this. Who's ready to be president and ready

to start solving the big challenges we face on day one?

And, we can solve them. We can end the era of cowboy diplomacy and bring our sons

and daughters home from Iraq. We can make a new beginning for our economy and

rebuild our great middle class.

We can reform our government and transform our energy future. We can make a new

beginning on health care, cut costs, improve quality, and cover every American.

I'm not running for president to put band-aids on our problems. I'm running to solve

them.

The stories you've shared will always stay with me. Parents juggling jobs to pay for

college for their kids, soldiers' families praying for a safe return, all the men and women

across this state who have whispered their health care problems to me.

Bills they can't pay, parents they can't afford to care for, insurance companies who refuse

to help. I know you've waited a long time for a president who could hear you and see

you. We're not just changing presidents, we're changing our country.

I hope you'll vote for me and help me change America. And, if you stand with me, I will

stand up for you every day as your president.

I'll work my heart out to bring the country we love the new beginning it needs and I will

be ready to start on day one. Thank you.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approved this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Patryce Kidd

I'm sure all the Democratic candidates are compassionate and caring individuals who are striving in their work to make a difference in the lives of common people. But for me, Hillary Clinton is head and shoulders above the rest in demonstrating just how much she does care through a lifetime of dedicated and indefatiguable public service.

Do these political commentators in the media who are so ready to jump on Obama's bandwagon (however fleeting it may turn out to be) realize what a monumental feat it is that Hillary is running as the first-ever women candidate for president and just how much courage and commitment it takes to keep on fighting against the odds she's up against just because she's a woman?

She's had to learn to play the strong and tough political hardball game to survive, but there is no doubt in my mind that what motivates her is not an innate lust for power but a deep-rooted desire to help ease suffering and better the conditions for people everywhere.

To me, this is what is getting lost in the media, and even in her campaign – her warmth, tenderness, caring, and compassion – her heart of gold. But it's a double-edged sword, isn't it? If she shows her soft side, she risks being accused of weakness; if she's strong and tough, then she's a machine. Maybe it's "easier" for Obama to appear authentic in his lofty and inspirational message. But when it comes to the true nitty gritty of what we need more of in this world, my vote is with Hillary Clinton!

I voice these thoughts for one reason only, to send my support and encouragement to this amazing woman at this challenging time. One thing I know for sure – she will never give up! For that I am very grateful – and I'm not even an American. Thank you, Hillary! Good luck!

January 8, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  2. Republican4Life

She is really pulling out all the stops. She is one state loss away from saying America wont elect a... you know, a person.... without experience...being white.

I think Hillary will win the nomination and in doing so insult so many people (democrats, Republicans alike) the Republican nominee will have a smooth sail to the White House.

So, go Hillary, GO!

January 8, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  3. sara

As a Canadian friend my husband and I are watching your political process with
    intense interest. Our congratulations....the run for the 08 presidency is as
    diverse as it is exciting. We commend all the candidates for their hard work and
    only ask that each and every American citizen entitled to vote do so for the
    candidate of their own, individual choice. That's what democracy is, the voice of
    the people – not the media, not the lobbyists, not the corporations. Just every
    citizen, getting out there on voting day.

The world is watching, this election affects everyone on the globe, so please please please get out there and vote in every caucus, primary and convention, and ultimately
    on the big day itself. Do not be apathetic or cynical or lazy about the greatest chance
    to make a difference.

Our democracies in North America are hardwon privileges and each of us must
    respect the history of those that have passed that privilege on to us...so VOTE
    your own free choice and celebrate the right to do so.

January 8, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  4. dan kjeldsen

If we really want change, don't vote for Hillery (or a Bush). It's time.

January 8, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  5. Gane, Canada

I am so sorry Americans!
    Every nation deserves its leader!
    Lucks to me that Hillary is to advance for you.
    You are behind England, Germany, India, Pakistan... even Afghanistan one day.

Obama-Osama will bring you the "Change" similar to South Africa, I suppose.

Lets you suffer 4 more years; at least!

January 8, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  6. Keeping Score

Crying because you aren't doing well in a race is not presidential. What happens if another 9/11 happens? I think it was fake. Another ploy intended to show people her soft side but unfortunately (for her) it didn't work.

January 8, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  7. Go Hillary!

All Obama can do is make nice analogies and make people yell. WOW. To be President, I think the American people demand just a little bit more than that. Hillary can walk the walk and has done so successfully for her entire life. She's taken on the Republicans in the Senate, George Bush and countless critics. She's been tested and won every time. Next up, 2008. My vote's with Hillary!

January 8, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  8. maria San Francisco

Go Hillary!
    Can't anyone see that there is no content in Barack Hussein Obama's message?
    Change change change How????
    Please don't be fooled by him.

GO HILLARY

January 8, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  9. Mike

Wow, again, the comments below reaffirm my amazement in the number of rude Americans. Maybe start thinking about solutions to the problems as opposed to criticizing someone based on false perceptions. I wish Vegas were taking bets on how much actual change Obama would actually bring seeing as how he campaigned on change in Illinois in 2004 yet things look about the same if not worse in Washington.

January 8, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  10. East Side Love

Believe you me – it WILL BE THE REPUBLICANS WHO WILL BE CRYING IN NOVEMBER.

Go Hillary – California will give you your much deserved delegates.

January 8, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  11. Gavin Indiana HRC

This BIZARRE NOTION OF A "Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton Dynasty" is SO WIERD AND MAKE NO SENSE.

BUSH 1 destroyed our economy,
    CLINTON FIXED IT....
    Bush 2 destroyed America....
    CLINTON Will FIX IT....

This so-called "Dynasty" is such a ridiculous, bizarre, and senseless attack....

IGNORE IT EVERYONE AND FOCUS ON SOMEONE WHO CAN deliver this change we need; Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton!

January 8, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  12. Jake, California

I am always intrigued by the Hillary supporters...

WHY DO THEY WRITE IN CAPS? Its either her name HILLARY or the entire post. Have you guys seen anyone write Obama in caps like OBAMA?

I have said over and over that you should stop shouting and speak sense, maybe you'll get a few more votes!

January 8, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  13. Audrey

America.....Walk the talk.....You want change then vote someone who can MAKE THAT CHANGE! Senator Clinton is and will be that person...PROVEN!

January 8, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  14. gthail

SOME PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR HEAD!!! THE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE,DICK CHENY BUSH,RUMSFIELD, LIBEMAN,MICCAIN, YOU NAME THEM. THEY ARE ALL WARLOARDS, MISJUDGMENT, BUNCH OF OLDIES. AMERICA NEEDS A FRESH NEW LEADER ABLE TO CLEAN UP OLDIES FROM WHITE HOUSE.
    THAT IS WHY AMERICA SPOKEN IN IOWA, WILL SPEAK ALL OVER THE COUNTRY SOON. OBAMA IS THE MAN TO DO THAT!!!

SORRY CLINTON WE LOVE YOU BUT YOU GOT TO GO!!!!

January 8, 2008 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  15. NOT a Clinton Drone

Glad to see all the Clinton campaign drones are out on the chat boards pumping out false messages of support! Good work people! I'm curious how the scheduling works, though – do you write fake 'I support Hillary' messages 50% of the time, and switch over to deceitful attack messages the other 50%, or do some of you focus full time on either the fake support messages or the lying attack ads? Interested...maybe during one of your breaks tonite, you can fill us in with an honest response.

Good luck to you all – hopefully, you will wake up one day and learn to recognize those who only care about keeping power, vs. those who want to help this country move forward for its own sake.

NaCD

January 8, 2008 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  16. Sam

Looking at this as an outsider (Africa Zambia to be exact) It's funny when I read some of the comments. For people to say Hillary Clinton really cares for America (that may be True) because she brokedown is a total joke. She is a polititian lets not forget, these emotions were no there when poles showed her ahead. now that she is feeling the preasure all this nonsense of I really care for this country and sobing is just a ploy to get back on track. Like John Edwards said when she was ahead she made no personal attacks, she was sitting there enjoying the ride to the white house now the ride is a bit bumpy she is coming out alll guns blazing, She even got the old man Clinton on stage to help her out. Firstly democrats were united in slating the Bush administration now Hillary is attacking her own why? she is a polititian. don't be fooled by her emotional theatrics.

On the other point of pulling the troops out of Iraq thats one thing america cannot afford to do. The situation in Iraq isn't getting better so how can the solution be pulling out the troops, who is that going to improve the security there. If the war was a mistake abandoning Iraq would be an even bigger one. What happened after the first Gulf war, america pulled out of the war before the job was finished what was created? tyrants. The problem is I think the American public are being misinformed, the resistance in Iraq is not Iraq Vs America is more of a civil war than anything else. America is not at war in Iraq it's trying to brocker peace.

If Hillary Clintons message is experience then by god John McCain is the best man for president (Vote Republican in Novemeber)

January 8, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  17. Kwae

When all the acting is done, HRC would have lost. A scripted TV moment to show her rare, unicorn-like sensitivity only helps her lose even more credibility. And she goes on to say that's because she's always cared about others not 'self'? and flops quickly to contradict herself?

One would have appreciated an apology to Iowans for the spin out of her office after they lost. Ungracious loser.

Hillary should be looking to get on the Obama ticket as VP. Her leaning on Bill, which is what gave her the now ill-fated air of invincibility and inevitability will not bring new ideas if she were to be president. How can she represent change when she wants the Clintons to be in charge? Of course Bill can't summon interns into the office, but what would have changed? On the other hand, she could continue being a wedge between Republicans and Democrats. So it's Obama/Edwards.

Obama's mixedness and humanness resonates with a majority of Americans, even amongst women. He is, genetically, a coming together of black and white and his names are a mix of Arabic world and Christianity. Raised by a single mother, made mistakes as a youngster, went to college, made good.

No amount of mud will hamper his trip to the White House. Is he the new order. You bet.

January 8, 2008 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  18. GO MRS CLINTON!!

GREETINGS FROM THE SAND.. SEEING ALL THESE DEBATES ALL THE WAY

FROM HERE WE THE TROOPS OPENED OUR EYES AND UNDERSTAND CHANGE

AND WITH CHANGE COMES EXPERIENCE.. SENATOR CLINTON HAS ALL OUR

SUPPORT FROM THE TROOPS IN THE MIDDLE EAST, WE KNOW SHE WILL

BRING US HOME.. WE TRUST HER.. WE DO NOT TRUST OBAMA OR EDWARDS

NH WE NEED YOUR HELP! PLS VOTE FOR SENATOR CLINTON.. SHE WILL BRING CHANGE..

SOLDIER IN IRAQ.....

January 8, 2008 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  19. Kwae

HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTERS ARE MINI-CLONES OF THEIR BELOVED. THEY SHOUT AT EVERYONE THAT DISAGREES WITH THEM.

Or there a two other possibilities:

1. they using different aliases on one keyboard that has a key stuck. Just like Hillary's campaign, something's stuck.

2. id-ten-Ts who can't locate the CAPS lock key?

January 8, 2008 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  20. Dew

Hillary Clinton is a leader. She has compassion. Ms. Clinton is the only candidate in this presidential election to solve the image problem of Amertica today. Hillary Clinton knows how to run the well oiled machine it will take to walk into the roll of US President in Jan. '09 and begin healing this country. I believe her to be in this race for the good of the people of this country. She is not running to gain power or money. She is a servant of the people and has been devoted to that roll her entire adult life. I am so grateful to have for the first time an exceptional candidate to rally behind. I will actually feel representation in D.C. for all that I believe in. Thank you for running, Hillary!

January 8, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  21. ObamaSupporter

Can somebody please tell me what Hillary Clinton has done for this country? She showed years ago she knew nothing about health care, not to mention she has no experience. Being a first lady does not give you experience, only the ability to order people around and drink fancy teas. I for one do not want to see another BUSH or CLINTON every again in the White House. And for those of you who are fooled, Hillary Clinton has no soul. That woman will cut throat you in a minute to get what she wants. You watch what I tell you.

January 8, 2008 04:16 am at 4:16 am |
  22. ObamaSupporter

Barack Obama had no say so in his name at birth. You all need to stop focusing on his name. For the most part the man can do no worst than the last 3 presidents we have had. Hillary is amazing, using whatever tactic she can. She cares about this country. Yeah like she cared about the McDougalls and Vince Foster, etc. Please, this woman is self-centered with an ego the size of Texas. Just as Bill said he can't make Hillary taller, or male, etc., he also can't advise on what to do. Now she wants to attack Obama, going all the way back to kindergarten. I can only laugh and wonder where she parked her broom.

January 8, 2008 04:21 am at 4:21 am |
  23. Ken-Caldwell -NJ

Wow. I'm just upset that my primary vote won't even matter. 🙁

I don't know if I am happy Hillary is losing or sad. I think that my mix of emotion when it comes to Mrs. Clinton is pretty common from the other Dems that I talk to. It's a strange thing. But I guess in the end, Hillary would be the most capable for this job, and would be able to solve some of these issues.

Like him or not, Mr. Clinton is beloved across the world, and he could do alot as the "good-will" amb. that everyone is talking about.

Obama is an attractive candidate, but I just don't know that with all that is at stake, that we can afford to have him make rookie mistakes. But then again...who knows, maybe he will do a bang up job, and we will all be lovin the guy.

This election is getting very interesting, and honestly.....a little scary. We get so caught up in our little american bubble, and we sometimes fail to fully grasp the vast array of major major problems in the world that could very well erupt into serious global issues. Not playing the republican fear card, just being realistic. (after all it was the neoconic turkeys that caused this mess to begin with)

I'm nobody, and by no means have any real answers, I just hope that my country votes with their heads. It's a big decision this time around.

January 8, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  24. GeorgiaVoter

Kudos to JD!!!!! At least someone else can see right through Hillary Clinton. If Hillary gets the nomination, half the Democrats will switch their vote.

January 8, 2008 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  25. lyn

heaven help us if Obama wins – cos no other country will!! It is always said women are their own greatest enemies!!! Woman put your silly prejudices aside and let us support our own!! Please vote for Hillary – because she is a woman and can make the USA the best place to live again!!

January 8, 2008 04:39 am at 4:39 am |