January 7th, 2008

Obama says Clinton campaign getting 'depressing'

ALT TEXT

Obama is taking issue with comments Clinton made at a recent Democratic debate. (Photo Credit: AP)

(CNN) - With only a day until the New Hampshire Democratic Primary, Barack Obama says the manner in which rival Hillary Clinton's campaign is being run is getting 'depressing."

In an interview that aired on ABC Monday morning, Obama said Clinton does not make him angry, but the Illinois senator took issue with how her campaign is being run.

"I find the manner in which they’ve been running their campaign sort of depressing lately," he said.

Obama specifically took issue with a comment Clinton made at a debate Saturday, when she suggested Obama and John Edwards were raising "false hopes."

"We don't need to be raising the false hopes of our country about what can be delivered," she said. "The best way to know what change I will produce is to look at the changes that I've already made."

Obama has derided Clinton on the campaign trail for the statement, and in the ABC interview, suggested it runs against the American "tradition."

"Sen. Clinton saying, 'don’t feed the American people false hopes. Get a reality check.' You know? I mean, you can picture JFK saying, 'We can’t go to the moon. It’s a false hope. Let’s get a reality check.' It’s not, sort of, I think what our tradition has been," he said.

Meanwhile, Clinton maintains she has a record of change, and said repeatedly over the weekend that she is a "doer" compared to Obama and Edwards who are "talkers."

The back and forth comes as several recent polls indicate Obama's win in the Iowa caucuses last Thursday has given him a bounce in the Granite State. A new CNN/WMUR poll released Sunday night shows Obama 10 points ahead of Clinton, 39 percent to 29 percent.

Related video: Clinton: 'I am a change agent'

1. Ardelia Burse, TX

I was initially for Hillary but after the debates and listening to her on the campaign trail, I'm turned off. I am more impressed with someones character than their experience. With all her experience Hillary voted for what I believe will go down as the worst war in American history. To say Hope, Change and returning the government to the American people is nothing more than rhetoric has solified my belief that Hillary with all of her experience is not the one to lead this nation. You can not antagonize and inspired at the same time.

January 7, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Mike

If Obama gets the nomination, I will have to vote Republican, Haven't we learned from the Bush Administration???

January 7, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. Mike L.

It seems Clinton is resorting to the politics of personal destruction and fear–right out of the Democratic playbook. Sad, really.

January 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. randy

Obama will get the normination.and he will win

January 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  5. Michele, Chicago, IL

For those of you who doubt Obama: http://www.chicagoreader.com/obama/951208/

January 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  6. Rene J.

Depressing? If you can't handle this, Obama, I doubt you're ready to take on real challenges on the world stage. Jeez, what a cry baby. You have done nothing but insult Hillary and her work in an ungracious way. When you said during the debates "you're likable enough" it was condescending and arrogant. When you neglected to acknowledge her or Edwards in your Iowa acceptance speech, it made me wonder how adept you'd be at "sitting down with the enemies." ALL TALK. WHERE IS THE BEEF?

January 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  7. Jameson S.

First of all Mr. Obama now say`s that Senator Clinton`s attacks are depressing, I DO NOT THINK SO! If he is so sure that there`s no truth about the claim against him, then he should deny it and prove her wrong NOT JUST BRUSH OFF THE ISSUE(s) and HOPE that it will fade since he is doing great on polls. Mr. Obama`s statements in his campaign were all samples of the past from JFK to Roosevelt to Martin Luther King etc.,, if he is in deed running for a change and new beginning, HE SHOULD NOT EXPLOIT THE PAST GREATNESS OF OTHER PEOPLE AND OFFER THEIR GREATNESS ON HIS BEHALF. WE NEED A PRESIDENT THAT IS UNIQUE, HONEST, HAS DIGNITY AND A PERSON THAT DOES NOT USE OTHER~S CREDENTIAL FOR HIS. Similarity in point of views is completely different from what a person would actually do. PEOPLE OF THE U.S., Need to wake up and be REALISTIC that all this momentum of HOPE and CHANGE that Mr, Obama promises in his great speeches and heart felt stumps, are all WORDS. YES it a change and its new but it is just A NEW POLITCIAN PROMISING THINGS. , WE NEED SOMEONE THAT ACTUALLY HAVE DONE SOMETHING GOOD FOR THIS COUNTRY. GREAT SPEECHES AND GOOD PRESS WILL NOT resolve our crisis, from IIRAQ, ecomony, and overall problems that his current administration has caused. WAKE UP AMERICANS! We do not need a another GEORGE W. BUSH who claimed that he was an agent of change and yes indeed he CHANGE THIS COUNTRY UPSIDE DOWN. As one of the young generation of our nation, I ASK EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU TO REALLY THINK HARD ABOUT YOUR DECISION AND NOT JUST GO BY SOMEONE YOU THINK IS " COOL AND HIP" or SOMEONE YOU THINK WILL SUPPORT YOUR VIEWS>>>>OUR COUNTRY IS IN BAD SHAPE AND THIS IS NOT A TIME TO PUT SOMEBODY FOR A TRIAL AND ERROR PHASE, WE NEED SOMEONE THAT IS EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO SOLVE ALL THE ISSUES AND PROBLEMS THIS COUNTRY IS FACING. CLINTON`s DID THIS COUNTRY RIGHT FOR EIGHT YEARS AND I WANT SOME OF THOSE RIGHT THINGS BACK... THANKS AND GOD BLESS.

January 7, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  8. Jim, Carbondale, IL

I don't understand the postings talking about Obama getting beat by Republicans. Are you kidding? Obama is not only bringing in record numbers of independents and cross-over Republicans, he's bringing in record numbers of Democrats! Not only has he expanded his own party, but once he gets elected, we'll have "Obama Republicans," and "Obama Independents." What has Clinton done to challenge the right wing except motivate them to raise tons of money throughout the 1990s and then do nothing to criticize them when they were pushing their policies through during her first term in the Senate? Clinton has done some good thoughout her highly touted "35 years," but Obama is the one who can bring people together. By the way, by her calculation method, he's up to at least "20 years of public service" himself. Obama will take on the right wing attack machine because he's not afraid to engage conservatives on the issues. If we look beyond distorted mischaracterizations of who he is and what he's said, this would be quite clear. He's inspiring a generation and expanding a governing majority of Democrats, Independents, and Republicans.
    It's time to believe in America again!

January 7, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Curtis N. Coleman

An agent for CHANGE? I think we have already seen how she means CHANGE!
    To change from a position of wanting universal health insurance to going along with the insurance moguls of this country? To change from a position of being against a criminal war to supporting it (as her votes have shown)? I do not think this is the kind of change Americans want to see.

January 7, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Jun

If Senator Clinton lose in the democratic nomination, I will not vote in the general election or I will vote republican. I do not know Obama's baggage.

January 7, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. pam

mike, what has obama done, talk about generalities.

January 7, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. threeriverscrossing, Raleigh, North Carolina

After listening to the democratic debate, Obama's and Edwards's motto should be we are not really qualified, “but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.”

Edwards is also way too inexperienced and truth be known, has just as much experience in the Senate as Obama. Lastly, Edwards is a loser from the last presidential election.

Any current member of Congress is part of the status qou, who are you kidding? Obama idea of change is having lobbyist buy members of Congress drinks and bar foods while standing up.

The economy would go to ruins under a Obama or Edwards administration because of taxes. Bill Richardson is the only Democrat candidate who is for lower taxes and balancing the budget, a real energy revolution, and a real Iraq Plan with a Middle East strategy, period. Its the economy.

Bill Richardson is the viable candidate based on strategic votes. If Democrats want to win in the general election, they must win the West in states like New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, and Texas (South Texas). It is not likely for the Democrats to win in Fall 2008 with Obama or Edwards leading the ticket because they simply cannot carry the Rocky Mountain West.

If the Republican are able to get McCain on the ticket, which I believe they will, and if the Democrat do not have a ticket that is representative of the Rocky Mountain West, the Democrats are toast in the general election.

* Are you ready for an Energy Revolution!
    * Are you ready to cut taxes and innovate growth!
    * Are you ready for a real Iraq Plan and Rebuilding the Military for the 21st Century!
    * Are you ready to lead the world with a moral compass in the 21st Century!

Bill Richardson 2008.

January 7, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  13. Ripper

Hillary-change? experience? Please!! The only change she ever made while her husband was president was in the White House Travel office, the number of people alive on the planet, and how many private investigators she had on payroll to keep track of where Bills pants where hitting the floor. Anything more concrete or substansial is all in her mind.

January 7, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  14. Tony

Obama is a media darling right now. What kind of change does he offer? Let’s talk about his voting record in the senate; which is almost the same as HRC. It the East and West coasts that will determine the next president and the Obama Fluff won’t be flying with us. Change is an empty word unless you can tell one how you will do it.

When experienced candidates like HRC and John McCain are in trouble; this country is in trouble.

January 7, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. Salita, SC

All

January 7, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  16. Vidette

I find it angers me how the media chooses to portray Clinton. The images of Obama have him shot "up" with an American flag behind him. The images of Clinton are separated from the pack (and not in a good way) or with a dorky expression on her face, or both combined. I have never read the words "emotional" and "shrill" in an article about the presidential race until a woman ran. The media is playing a huge role in this election, as it always does. Be educated and aware of the experience of the candidates, and where they stand on the issues and vote accordingly. Let's not be sheeple at the polls.

January 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. pam Eugene OR

Hillary will only get meaner and nastier as she feels more pressure from Obama. You will see how the Clinton machine works after Obama wins in NH. She believes we owe her the Presidency and it is her time. Well, it is not and we owe her nothing.
    Look at all the sides of her we have seen in a few short months. She is whoever on any given day.
    I do want to hope and dream of better, more united America and I don't want her to try to steal that from me too.
    Obama 08 the Uniter

January 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. LaMom

Have you noticed how Hillary hasn't been talking about her faith and her religion during this campaign and how it sustains her? Yet she kept bringing up her "strong faith" when she was First Lady?

I guess she figures she's not going to get the Christian vote any way so why bring out the faith card. Same old Hillary, lying through her teeth and thinking she can change people's minds with false words.

These women flip-flops more than a dying fish. Get the message Hillary – you're a fish out of water and you and your cheating husband Bill should realize the truth – America wants change and H I L L A R Y C L IN TO N DOES NOT MEAN CHANGE!

January 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  19. Jim P. - Chicago

It's understandable that Obama can make such a statement – he's cornered the young vote. Young US voters are clueless on the issues, have an elitist mentality, are spoiled beyond belief and haven't any idea what is involved with running a country. Poor Hilary (never thought I would say that), god forbid she presses this clueless man on any issues. The moment she does, "oh man, what a downer dude." This younger generation has always lived a wonderful, carefree life because it's always been this way in America – never any hardship. Bring back the draft and make them earn what they have. All it takes today is a cool, hip, black man that talks their talk. It's truly incredulious that he's even allowed to run.

January 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. Sam

America is not ready to elect a woman president, unfortunately. I also don't think America is ready to elect a black president, unfortunately. There are simply too many ignoramuses voting. If Hillary or Barack get the nomination the republicans will win the presidency, IMHO. Therefore I'm forced to root for Edwards, not a bad third choice.

Looks like Barack will be nominated and if so he gets my vote. I like his attitude. Obama/Edwards!

Hillary bothers me with all her 'uh's. Have you noticed how often she says 'uh'? That says insecurity to me. I can't listen to Bush's voice and I wouldn't be able to handle listening to Hillary's uhs for the next four years either.

January 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Tim

"I'm a doer, they're just talkers."

"I'm the decider, and I decide what's best."

January 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Jeff in San Francisco

Hillary – We are tired of your lies and by the way, you have no experience. Name recognition does not equal experience. We are done with the Clinton's and the Bush's. Obama offers a fresh start. Go Obama!

January 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. ava

I don’t know if this is true, but The Drudge Report is saying that, facing a big loss in NH, Hillary may drop out soon. Here’s the report…

January 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  24. Mohamed Abdulle

Obama is the One ----->08

January 7, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Sylvie

As a student in college in 1999, I wrote a paper on Women in Afghanistan. I read and researched the subject, and I was surprised at how involved Hillary was AT THAT TIME. Other leaders around the world who have worked with her feel that she would be a great president (read their opinions online). Look at what she's done. Do some reasearch and see who really has made the changes. She was talking about Afghanistan before most Americans knew what and where Afghanistan was. She was talking about it before 9/11. We need to elect her not because she will be the first woman president, but because she is smart, experienced and she is our strongest choice. She is a great speaker and will really put up a fight against any republican candidate. If Obama is picked as our democratic candidate, we will surely lose against ANY republican candidate. Give him another 10 years. But don't elect him now! Look at how Hillary debates and listen to what she will do. Stop making personal attacks against her (nagging voice, her relationship with Bill, etc.) and start thinking about what's good for our country- the economy, healthcare, etc. This is not a time to take chances. We just can't afford it!! I strongly support her. I've been waiting for her to run for ten years now.
    Good luck Hillary!!