January 7th, 2008

Poll: 9-point lead for Obama on eve of N.H. primary

The CNN Ticker

Barack Obama greets an overflow crowd at a rally in Lebanon, New Hampshire, Monday.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - On the eve of the New Hampshire primary, Sen. Barack Obama has a nine-point lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in the state, according to a CNN-WMUR poll out Monday.

Obama, the first-term senator from Illinois who won last week's Iowa caucuses, led the New York senator and former first lady 39 percent to 30 percent in a poll conducted Saturday through Sunday evening - a sharp change from a poll out Saturday that showed the Democratic front-runners tied at 33 percent.

Preliminary results from the poll released Sunday night. now showed Obama with a lead of 10 percentage points.

Full story

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. A Sad Fact.

People, take the blinders off your eyes and have a look at reality for a minute.
    The sad fact is, Obama is NOT going to win the general election. How did George Bush pull through last time, after unprecedented negative ratings? Middle America. People who refuse to acknowledge change, who are still living in 1952. What makes you think those people are going to vote for a black man? Listen, I think all 4 Democratic nominees are far more qualified and will evoke change more than any Republican. In fact I think Obama is fantastic. But if he wins the nomination we're screwed. The Republi-can't Machine is going to ride all the way into the White House and we'll be back at square one. PLEASE vote Edwards or Clinton. At least then we'll have a fighting chance.

January 7, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. Ken Ley

Dear american friends

Here is a little note from Denmark and a former University student in Ohio. This goes out to the voters in New Hampshire AND the rest of the US.

I – like many non-americans – follow the presidential campaigns from abroad, and try to understand, what goes through the minds of the americans, when they choose candidates.

I of course can't know all about present internal affairs in US Politics and Society in general. There the american people knows best. However – what I CAN do is listen to the candidates build foundation supporting their ideas, thoughts and plans for a great nation, that momentarily suffers greatly, as I see it. And then analyze the arguments.

If I were american citizen, I would urge all candidates to be more concrete. Tell the voters not just what they want to do... but how they plan to carry out their promises.

I have great respect for mr. Obama, but he's been very good to dodge the more complicated questions. And that's a shame, cause there is definitely great potential in the guy.

At the same time I'd urge the americans to ask him to answer these tough questions, and not just let the other candidates discuss them. In my – again from far away heli-view – Mrs. Clinton has shown the most strong character during this campaign so far. She seems more whole as a person and she sounds like everything she says comes from the heart. Trustworthy I'd say. I'd choose a candidate that dares....

Please dear friends... Think about it... which candidates dares?

Forever greatful Dane

/Ken

January 7, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  3. Christian, Tampa FL

Not to sound cocky, but I don't think Obama can be stopped, and I am glad of it. He is so different from anyone I've ever heard of (though as a 19 year old, I haven't experienced much) and I think he'll lead a different Presidency. Obviously, he won't be perfect, but I really think he could inspire Americans to create a new sort of political establishment in Washington and lead us out of this political gridlock and improve our standing in the world.

January 7, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  4. Jimmy, Iowa

I caucussed for Barrack Obama in Iowa, just to latter catch my son smoking a jiont. During my reaction and punishment he argued back that it was ok to smoke Pot because Obama did and he is going to be President and will legalize it. So how do I argue with this. The only choice I have is to try to get Obama to explain to my child and the children around the United States that he used his past exsperence as a vote getter. A political stunt that could create a loss of life for some child with an overdose of drugs. America, Barrack made a very large mistake at the expense of our children he DOES NOT NEED TO BE PRESIDENT> THAT WOULD SEND THE WRONG MESSAGE TO OUR YOUTH. I can not take back my vote, but can do every thing I can to get this message out. I have changed my position to John Edwards, until I watched the debate. Now I will Support SENATOR CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES> Barrack go lead Kenya. You have as much tie there as you have her

January 7, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. Frank D

ha ha ha ha.... Gail, I nearly fell off the desk while laughing because of your post....hillarious!

January 7, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  6. Sean from Bolingbrook, Illinois.

No Lobbyist Money. How great is that. OBAMA!

January 7, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  7. Erin

Stop reading the online news and start checking out websites like the League of Conservation for environmental ratings or senate.gov for voting records. Then you will find the candidate that you agree with most strongly.

I have done the research and my vote will be for Obama '08.

January 7, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  8. spdubois

Everyone who is following Obama - I call you sheep - because that's EXACTLY what you are. Obama sounds EXACTLY like George W. Bush the first time around - I can bring change, blah, blah, blah. Look what it got us. W had more experience than Obama .... how scary is that. Obama reads the teleprompter to get his words. I ask myself - where's the beef?

Listen up sheep - the world is in a different place than it was 15 years ago when it didn't matter about experience. We need EXPERIENCE NOW.

I agree with Jamie - he's a junior manger who's NOT ready to be a CEO.

I was much better off financially under the first Clinton and know I will be under the 2nd Clinton.

January 7, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. Rebecca Wylie, TX

Clinton is the only very BEST choice for our Country. Why take chances with Obama riding a wave? When Clinton is more than ready to clean up this Country and to Lead us in the RIGHT Direction!

January 7, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  10. Fly Fishing Rick-Montana

Just saying the verb "change" could inspire "false hopes" from listeners. Obama needs to define the exact activities for the type of “change” intended and the amount of time (durations) to execute the "change". The time frame (duration) to accomplish and execute the undefined "change" could take many years (more than the initial four years of presidential assignment) and an unrealistic completion date could raise "false hopes". Simple logic. Close the gap. Hillary is very attractive.

January 7, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Lupe D

I believe Hilary is the best/strongest canidate to beat the republicans. The dream ticket would be a Clinton/Obama ticket. But the reality is are we going to elect the first female president or the first African american president? I have asked this question for the past year. My vote is for Hilary. I do not believe the country is ready to elect an African American, but at the same time many people have said...They would rather vote and see an African american in a position of power, before they vote and see a women in a position of power. What does that say about us as a country? I am a female, pro liffe, mid thirties and middle class. I am waiting for history to be made on Election Day.

January 7, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. Lorenz, Queens, NY

Anything but Hillary

January 7, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. lbr, jersey city, nj

who cares! hillary, do you believe in miracle? well, it still happens you know. you still lead in the national polls. there is still Super Tuesday coming. People who vote for Obama are Republican fanatics. They want to put another Republican in office.

i am a democrat but if Obama wins i will vote for McCain

January 7, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. John, Oakland, CA

Obama's goal - since he entered public life more than 20 years ago - has been to open up the government to the people. He will shine an unwelcome light on the workings of Washington, and we will all be better off for it.

Why can't HRC understand this simplest of facts: an overwhelming majority of Americans don't want her to be the next president.

The only way she can bring people together is by being AGAINST something else. America is ready to come together FOR something. We're tired of being divided. There are more than enough reasonable and well-intentioned Republicans out there to form a working majority.

My message to HRC: you are running the risk of ruinging your family's legacy with all the dirty tricks you're pulling out. Nobody likes a sore loser.

January 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Rick, Ohio

Clinton and Obama are tied at 33% in the first national poll since mid-december

the momentum will kick in and finish her off soon

January 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  16. Joe, TX

As Democrats, we should be sticking together. I believe in Obama and want to cast my vote come election time. But if Hilary ends up the Front Runner, she will get my vote. It's not about who's the best Democrat, but that there's one elected President. it is time for a change, and a repulican will not bring it around!

January 7, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  17. Stop the Iraq war NOW

You know, I am getting dismayed by CNN's coverage of Obama as the only candidate.....oh, for a minute I THINK I saw an Edwards picture that CNN had posted, maybe another of Clinton. I am for a news agency to be fair and balanced and not biased and influential. In the past I had liked CNN for the fact that they were 1/2 way balanced and non-partial oin relating their news stories. (I sincerely believe that there is a CNN exception to the rule here: Anderson Cooper is one of the best around. He is VERY impartial, as his show suggests: Anderson Cooper: 360. He reports ALL of the sides to a story, not just his side. The mark of a really good journalist or TV news relayer is one whom can lay out a story-–all sides--and no one in his/her listening/reading audience can tell WHAT THEIR PERSONAL OPINION IS. Larry King is like that, also. Larry King and Anderson Cooper are extreme assets to CNN as fair and balanced media persons, when relating a story. THERE IS NO SPIN, WHATSOEVER. This allows the average person in America to gather the ACCURATE, TRUE facts and think about how they feel about the story. NO ONE IS TRYING TO SWAY THEM ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

I challange all reporting entities at CNN to adhere to this excellence in journalism, and leave spin out of the reporting, so that there is fairness to all candidates, whether Republican OR Democrat.

STOP THE WAR IN IRAQ NOW, from somewhere in America

January 7, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. Tim

Obama may inspire but Hillary will get the job done. Hillary will bring our soldiers home. Hilary will bring back respect to America. Hillary has experience and strength. Hillary is the best Democratic presidential candidate. Don't give the next four years to the Republicas. Hillary will bring about change in a very positive..

January 7, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. John, Oakland, CA

spdubois: Hillary needs you out there winning over voters, not trolliong around on blogs posting lies and hatred.

I can't resist responding to you, though: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND FOR THE PAST YEAR? Obama followers are sheep? I'm sorry, but last time I checked, we were the ones who endured 6 months of HRC as the inevitable nominee. We were the ones who have spent our evenings and weekends volunteering to build a historic grassroots movement for change. We were the ones who said "YES WE CAN" when everyone else said we couldn't.

I agree that the press has way overblown Barack's standing since Iowa, but where were you for the months and months when the press ordained Hillary on a daily basis?

I feel sorry for anyone who won't be a part of this movement. Throughout history, those who choose hope over fear, optimism over cinicism, are hearalded as change-makers, revolutionaries. YOU will never be able to say, "I was there. I helped do that." Too bad.

January 7, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  20. Tom Davie

I am beginning to believe that being the best candidate has NOTHING to do with getting elected.

OBAMA IS A SUPERMAN. HONEST. ITS A TREW STORY.

HE IS GOING TO UNITE THE COUNTRY JUST LIKE BUSH SAID IN 2000.

Quick , vote this guy who cannot possibly have enough experience to be president in BEFORE YOU REALIZE WHAT AN IDIOT YOU ARE for voting for him.

Quick !!! Get him in before the stark reality sets in.

January 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. EE

Its like American prestige is bouncing back with Obama. Top 3 European newspapers from Germany, UK and Holland resported an Obama europhoria in their various countries with titles as LINCOLM, JF Keneddy then OBAMA.

Amazing

January 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. NO OBAMA!

What is Barack about?

Voted NO on declaring English as the official language of the US government. (Jun 2007)

Huh? Does he want it to be Arabic??? Someone? Anyone? Answer?

January 7, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  23. tobby

I am voting for Obama because our forefathers left Europe for America because they do want a kingship or family-based president. In the past 20 years, mention one president of United States of America that is not of the Bush-Clinton? If you have a different answer, then, I will VOTE for Hillary Clinton. Guess what? We are over 300million people in this country. Wake up people; else, Jefferson and others will be weeping for the country they fought for.

January 7, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  24. Alvin, Dover, DE

It's amazing reading the comments of Hillary supporters .they talk about Obama being shady and they don't trust him. they are the sheep and the Clintons are the hurds-men. They fail to remember the scandals that plauged the white house and the democratic party under Bill Who looked americans in the eye and lied. Hillary is doing the same, after all, she learned from the best. As far as experience, her husband was president not her and she can ride his coat tails all she wants but the bottom line is that we the people are sick and tired of polliticians who are corporate freindly and who look us in hte face and lie. We see right through you Hillary. For hose of you that support her, wake up and smell the coffe,how many times does the horse have to kick you before you get out of the way! Obama and Edwards are genuine in there message of changing the way this country is run and ther message will become reality in Nov. Infact Iwould go as far to say we will see a Obama / Edwards ticket. together the two are unstoppable.As for Hillary, let sleeping dogs lye, her run is up and so is the Clinton jig.

January 7, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  25. spbudois

Everyone who is following Hillary — I call you sheep — because that's EXACTLY what you are. Hillary sounds EXACTLY like George W. Bush the first time around — I can bring change, blah, blah, blah. Look what it got us. W had more experience than Hillary …. how scary is that. Hillary reads the teleprompter to get her words. I ask myself — where's the beef?

January 7, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |